The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland team to face Wales

+21
bsando
RDW
Impossible Standards
gowales
Scot Abroad
NeilyBroon
nickj
GLove39
TrailApe
Knowsit17
formerly known as Sam
R!skysports
IanBru
EWT Spoons
Luckless Pedestrian
MacKnocked-on
George Carlin
funnyExiledScot
sensisball
Tattie Scones RRN
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
25 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Scotland team to face Wales - Page 2 Empty Scotland team to face Wales

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 08 Feb 2012, 9:16 am

First topic message reminder :

From the Hootsman today:

"Changes imposed on Andy Robinson as lack of depth shows

By STUART BATHGATE
Published on Wednesday 8 February 2012 02:20

WHEN coaches make miminal alterations to their teams, it is often said they have “resisted the urge to make wholesale changes”. In Andy Robinson’s case, it is an urge the national coach has always found easy to resist.

Many Scots under-performed in Saturday’s 13-6 defeat by England, but Robinson does not have a wealth of talent in reserve. He was therefore always likely to restrict himself to a couple of changes to the starting XV to play in Wales on Sunday and, it is expected that Greig Laidlaw and Geoff Cross will be the only newcomers. Cross will come in at tighthead prop for Euan Murray, who declines to play on Sundays for religious reasons, and Laidlaw will replace Dan Parks at stand-off.

Parks, who yesterday announced his retirement from international rugby, would probably have been dropped from the squad – not just from the starting line-up – after the crushing disappointment of the Calcutta Cup defeat. Glasgow stand-off Duncan Weir will come on to the bench as Laidlaw’s understudy, having been one of Scotland A’s most impressive performers in a 35-0 win over England Saxons on Friday night at Netherdale.

Cross’s promotion leaves a place on the replacements bench for Alasdair Dickinson, provided he recovers from the shoulder injury which saw him pull out of the squad last week. If not, Jon Welsh or his Glasgow colleague Ed Kalman should step in.

Another change among the replacements should see the introduction of Stuart Hogg at the expense of Graeme Morrison. Hogg scored an outstanding try for the A team, while Morrison was the only unused substitute at Murrayfield.

Although Hogg has played mainly at full-back, he can also play at outside centre.

Wing Max Evans, who will retain the No 11 jersey, also offers cover at 13. And Nick de Luca, who will again start in that position, can slot in at inside centre if required. Sean Lamont, who will start at 12, can be cover for the back three along with Hogg, who still appears in line to be handed his first senior start before the end of the championship.

In his time as England coach as well as latterly with Scotland, Robinson faced criticism for conservative selections. His choice of Parks for the Calcutta Cup game was met with widespread scepticism, including from some knowledgeable former players.

Robinson’s argument was that Laidlaw, the only other contender for the No 10 jersey against England, lacked enough experience. That remains a matter of conjecture but the Edinburgh player was livelier in his 23 minutes on the field than Parks was in his 57. Laidlaw not only came close to scoring a try but did far more than Parks to spark the back line into life. While he remains a seasoned scrum-half who is still short of big-match experience at No 10, he has done more than enough to show he is the best candidate to start Sunday’s match at No 10.

With Laidlaw in, the question was whether Chris Cusiter should hold on to his starting place at scrum-half or Mike Blair start alongside his Edinburgh colleague? Robinson opted for the former, but it must have been a close-run thing.

Blair came off the bench at the same time as Laidlaw, and played a significant part in lifting Scotland’s game. That told in his favour, as did the fact that, as he knows Laidlaw better as a player, he is best placed to guide him through the difficult moments which arise in an international.

Similarly, Cusiter plays alongside Weir at Glasgow, and might therefore be more suited to coming off the bench with his club team-mate than to starting with Laidlaw. But his form has been better than Blair’s over the oast month or two, notably in the head-to-head league matches between the two Scottish sides.

The 13 players who retain their places have not simply been rubber-stamped. Perhaps only back-row forwards David Denton and Ross Rennie did enough to merit that distinction.

But the coaches know that, among those who have kept their places, even the ones who were poorest on Saturday are capable of more. And, in the absence of in-depth competition, there is little alternative but to trust that they will produce more this time round.

Likely Scotland team to face Wales on Sunday:

15 Rory Lamont

14 Max Evans

13 Nick de Luca

12 Sean Lamont

11 Lee Jones

10 Greig Laidlaw

9 Chris Cusiter

1 Allan Jacobsen

2 Ross Ford

3 Geoff Cross

4 Jim Hamilton

5 Richie Gray

6 Alasdair Strokosch

7 Ross Rennie

8 David Denton
"
Would have preferred to see Hogg replacing Ramont, and Blair partnering Laidlaw - not at all surprised that nothing has been done to address our lack of a genuine 12 (Matt Scott, Andy, heard of him?). Would prefer any other prop than Dickinson on the bench

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Scotland team to face Wales - Page 2 Empty Re: Scotland team to face Wales

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 08 Feb 2012, 3:53 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:
Impossible Standards wrote:
OK, fellow Scots, so the team is out, it's a bit of a new broom as far as pivot goes, now what tactics should we bamboozle Wales with?

I'm not a fellow Scot but for a defensive tactic take out our backs legs. Our back line were very far apart from each other so don't worry about offloads. Ok we scored using 2 offloads but only 2 per game is very few. This will stop our back lines fluidity, just make sure your back row are there to hoover up the ball from the tackled back.

There now how much will I get for my info.... Very Happy

You fool! Ask for the money, then give them the info! Then again, it's the Scots we're talking about, you wouldn't get much money out of them... Whistle

My sentiments exactly, you corporate scoundrel trying to sell out your national allegiance for private gain you....

Luckily, difference between knowing what to do and being able to do it. As personnified by Mssrs Tommy Bowe and Fergus McFadden standing in the path of Georgie North, ain't nothin halting Wales this Sunday furious

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Wed 08 Feb 2012, 3:55 pm

You fool! Ask for the money, then give them the info! Then again, it's the Scots we're talking about, you wouldn't get much money out of them...
Chuckles quietly so his Scottish brother-in law doesn't hear him.....

I'm trying to raise money to stop the Dragons becoming a development team. Maybe I should have given the advice to the French. They don't mind throwing the cash around. Very Happy
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 08 Feb 2012, 3:55 pm

David vs Goliath, wee Lee Jones stood on the shoulders of wee Maxy Evans, trying to get at Georgie North's ankles - I can see it now

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 08 Feb 2012, 4:24 pm

Pretty happy with the team, except Blair at 9 to give familiarly with Laidlaw and cusitors passing last week was crap.

Really worried about the lack of size in our backs, both in defense and getting go forward ball.

The forwards are going to have to do a lot of ball carrying!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 08 Feb 2012, 4:56 pm

I don't mind Cusiter being scrum half, I like his work rate and he quite often goes for a run himself when playing for Glasgow. He looked a lot better than Blair over xmas derby matches so deserves to be starting. If he has a shocker however, it'll be good to have Blair available.

I've heard a few pundits talking about how Scotland has a rubbish backline. Just look at what we'll be likely to have by the end of the year..

15. Hogg
14. Jones
13. De Luca
12. Matt Scott
11. Visser
10. Laidlaw

In my opinion, that is an improved Edinburgh backline, not taking any credit away from Paterson, but Hogg is in brilliant form just now. I say let the pundits criticize our backs all they want, because this time next year we'll arguably have the strongest backline we have ever had.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 08 Feb 2012, 5:10 pm

Well this could be hard day for Scotland, I have been looking for someone to post the obvious on this forum, but as yet no one has...

Lee Jones / 5'11" / 13 st 8lbs
VS
Alex Cuthbert / 6'6" / 16 st 5 lbs

Max Evans / 5'9" / 13 st 12 lbs
VS
George North / 6'4" / 15 st 6 lbs

Lee Jones is very dodgy in defense and Max Evans can be a bit iffy, if Wales do get on top up front, which is very possible then we could have a field day especially in the scrums from first phase.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 08 Feb 2012, 5:19 pm

I definitely brought it up alyn, and sure others have too.

We're very well aware of it!

Saying that cuthbert's performance on Sunday didn't full me with a sense of dread. North on the other hand...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 08 Feb 2012, 5:30 pm

Don't worry Alyn....

Denton will be waiting for them Ok!

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 08 Feb 2012, 5:41 pm

AlynDavies wrote:Well this could be hard day for Scotland, I have been looking for someone to post the obvious on this forum, but as yet no one has...

Lee Jones / 5'11" / 13 st 8lbs
VS
Alex Cuthbert / 6'6" / 16 st 5 lbs

Max Evans / 5'9" / 13 st 12 lbs
VS
George North / 6'4" / 15 st 6 lbs

Lee Jones is very dodgy in defense and Max Evans can be a bit iffy, if Wales do get on top up front, which is very possible then we could have a field day especially in the scrums from first phase.
Source?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed 08 Feb 2012, 6:39 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:David vs Goliath, wee Lee Jones stood on the shoulders of wee Maxy Evans, trying to get at Georgie North's ankles - I can see it now

Is that a new wave Chrimbo panto ................. the Big Bad North God Wales v the Wee Evans/Jones (Welsh??) boys Braveheart Braveheart

You could make a mint buddy!!
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 08 Feb 2012, 6:49 pm

Lack of posts due to sea trial work with the Royal Navy on Loch Fyne. Team looks good, Sean Lamont retains his place. Probably for the best to try and keep that monster North in check.

Bench looks strong too, last time Scotland played in Cardiff, Thom Evans career was ended and Paterson's was shortened and we were robbed in the dying minutes of the game. As a Scotland fan it was unquestionably our darkest hour, although it was the best 6N game I can remember, really looking forward to the game.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 08 Feb 2012, 7:30 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I definitely brought it up alyn, and sure others have too.

Saying that cuthbert's performance on Sunday didn't full me with a sense of dread. North on the other hand...

I meant it terms of posting the actual stats Smile

I think Scotland have no choice but to pack the midfield and gang bang the Welsh runners.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 08 Feb 2012, 7:46 pm

AlynDavies wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:I definitely brought it up alyn, and sure others have too.

I meant it terms of posting the actual stats Smile

I think Scotland have no choice but to pack the midfield and gang bang the Welsh runners.
Oo er missus

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 08 Feb 2012, 8:03 pm

haha "gang bang the Welsh runners", is that new technical terminology?

I say we still should've gone with a more cutting backline, Hogg and Ramont should have been switched so Ramont's an impact sub. I also feel it'd be worth putting DeLuca at 12, although that may be a massive gamble. I still think Scott should be playing but if he is indeed doing his law exams its in his best interests not to.

Also I don't appreciate his choice of keeping Cusiter, as I said earlier. Its important, especially for Scotland to put team mates together because we need to have better interlinking play to score tries, just look at the killer b's 2 years back!

I still think Robinson is being too conservative, I mean call me a mad cap Lievremont but I really feel like more of the A team should be promoted! (minus Danielli)

I predict Wales 28-20 Scotland

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Wed 08 Feb 2012, 8:27 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:haha "gang bang the Welsh runners", is that new technical terminology?

I say we still should've gone with a more cutting backline, Hogg and Ramont should have been switched so Ramont's an impact sub. I also feel it'd be worth putting DeLuca at 12, although that may be a massive gamble. I still think Scott should be playing but if he is indeed doing his law exams its in his best interests not to.

Also I don't appreciate his choice of keeping Cusiter, as I said earlier. Its important, especially for Scotland to put team mates together because we need to have better interlinking play to score tries, just look at the killer b's 2 years back!

I still think Robinson is being too conservative, I mean call me a mad cap Lievremont but I really feel like more of the A team should be promoted! (minus Danielli)

thats not a multiple of 3.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Wed 08 Feb 2012, 8:47 pm

Imperialbigdave wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:haha "gang bang the Welsh runners", is that new technical terminology?

thats not a multiple of 3.

He’s insinuating that Scotland will score a try. A bold statement!

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 08 Feb 2012, 8:56 pm

I know, I'm just crazy aren't I? I do think Scotland will score at least one although I'm not holding my breath!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Wed 08 Feb 2012, 9:32 pm

I can see a try coming from one of the forwards. I think we'll score no more than 11, one try and 2 penalties.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 08 Feb 2012, 9:47 pm

ahaha yeah I bet the try will be right in the corner from a maul so its too difficult to convert, standard Scotland try. Alas, NEXT YEAR 2013 will be our year... if everybody else gets injured... and Scott Johnson doesn't become our permanent coach...

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2