The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dunkeld

+5
635BMW
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
barragan
drive4show
Doc
9 posters

Go down

Dunkeld Empty Dunkeld

Post by Doc Tue 22 Mar 2011, 11:59 am

I'm staying at the hotel in Dunkeld at the end of May for my daughters wedding, and intend playing a couple of rounds. have any of you played the course or can recommend anywhere else thumbsup

Doc

Back to top Go down

Dunkeld Empty Re: Dunkeld

Post by drive4show Tue 22 Mar 2011, 12:11 pm

Hi Doc

I don't know Dunkeld but you are very close to Blairgowrie which has two cracking courses! I would forever question your golfing credentials if you missed the chance to play there Whistle

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue 22 Mar 2011, 12:21 pm

D4S thanks mate, just had a look at the club site and sent a booking request for one round. Only 12-miles away from Dunkeld, so hope to play there on the Friday as no chance of a booking weekends, so will have a stab at the Dunkeld course Saturday

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue 22 Mar 2011, 1:06 pm

i used to play alyth quite a lot which is just another 10mins or so east of blairgowrie. a nice track which is usually in excellent condition. quite gentle - not too challenging - but very enjoyable. have entered the 36 holer in july and looking forward to it. might be a good warm up for blair.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue 22 Mar 2011, 1:14 pm

Thanks ban_bam thumbsup I'll check the site out

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Tue 22 Mar 2011, 1:39 pm

Alyth can be a hard tricky track.

If you want a nice friendly place to play, try Kirriemuir.

For a good course in the area Downfield is probably the best after Blairgowrie.

Both Blairgowrie courses are excellent.
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue 22 Mar 2011, 1:56 pm

setup,
its certainly no walkover. i haven't played a great many courses, but if i had to choose one which i'd expect my handicap to be lowest at it would be alyth. its a fair course [the exception being the 5th: the approach shot to which is the least enjoyable shot in golf in my limited experience!], but a lot of the fairways are pretty generous and the greens run true and are not too testing. all in all, i think its a great course.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Tue 22 Mar 2011, 2:32 pm

The one time I played Alyth, the rough was about 2 foot high & it was 4 hours of torture. Maybe they have relented & cut back the rough. boxing
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Tue 22 Mar 2011, 2:34 pm

Glenisla : just across the road from Alyth is much more enjoyable.
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue 22 Mar 2011, 2:52 pm

in my mind the two are uncomparable.
where alyth is very mature, glenisla is a fairly recent development.
alyth is very much a heathland course. glenisla is on farm land, and more parklandy.
i was going to call glenisla forgettable, then thought that was unfair. however i can't remember many of the holes so forgettable is probably not far off.
alyth would get about 7 out of 10 from me.
glenisla 4 or 5 at most.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue 22 Mar 2011, 4:02 pm

Plenty of chioce then, but would still like to find out what Dunkeld is like, I'm sure mac will have had a go on one of his tours thumbsup

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by 635BMW Tue 22 Mar 2011, 5:02 pm

I have played Dunkeld, back when it was a 9 holer. It has a membership of moutain goats and hardy souls! In truth it is up and down quite a bit! I remember a few nice holes and part of the new 9 is seen from the road - with a massive slope to the fairways.
Scenic, friendly staff and hard work on the legs, but just about worth playing, in my opinion.
I agree with other posters, Blairgowerie is the one to play in the area but it is very expensive. A really good course is Strathmore on the way to Alyth, developing well in to a very nice course. Extremely good value.

635BMW

Back to top Go down

Post by 635BMW Tue 22 Mar 2011, 5:10 pm

i agree with the other posters about Blairgowrie and Alyth but for real value for money on a very nice course is Strathmore - between Blairgowrie and Alyth. It has really developed well, green fees are reasonable and there are some cracking holes. Better than Glen isla and Alyth in my opinion.

635BMW

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue 22 Mar 2011, 5:35 pm

635 many thanks for that. Just checked the Strathmore site and it looks ok, so maybe I'll have a go at that on the Saturday after doing Blairgowrie Friday. thumbsup

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed 23 Mar 2011, 1:56 pm

D4S and everyone who mentioned Blairegowrie, just had an email from them informing me that a club comp is taking place on the Rosemount course and the Scottish Stroke Play Championships are taking place on the Lansdowne course. So not able to get a booking for that weekend Sad

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed 23 Mar 2011, 2:14 pm

Doc

Bummer! But it shows the quality of the courses. If you fancy treating yourself, quick sprint up the A9 to Gleneagles??

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by haystongolfer Wed 23 Mar 2011, 2:57 pm

Or if you can't affiord Gleneagles prices then the same quick sprint to adjoining Auchterarder which has the same views and borders the PGA Centenary course for a fraction of the price.

haystongolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by SpacemanSpiff Thu 24 Mar 2011, 1:10 pm

Dunkeld is pretty hilly which some don't like but a pretty friendly place. There is a gem of a 9 holer at Blairgowrie as well which you will definitely get on. Aberefeldy and Pitlochry really close too.
Are you staying at the Hilton Dunkeld House?

SpacemanSpiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu 24 Mar 2011, 1:43 pm

SpacemanSpiff wrote:Dunkeld is pretty hilly which some don't like but a pretty friendly place. There is a gem of a 9 holer at Blairgowrie as well which you will definitely get on. Aberefeldy and Pitlochry really close too.
Are you staying at the Hilton Dunkeld House?

Thanks spaceman, yes the Hilton

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Thu 24 Mar 2011, 3:44 pm

Crieff is pretty nice too, and it's easy to get on.

Or for fun golf, try the 9 hole courses at St Fillans, Muthill or Comrie.

All lovely places to play golf but not likely to stretch your ability.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by SpacemanSpiff Thu 24 Mar 2011, 4:23 pm

Good hotel Doc, lovely setting and a nice town (or is it a city cecause it has a cathedral?). Enjoy!

SpacemanSpiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth_NI Wed 30 Mar 2011, 1:55 pm

Doc, don't mean to rub it in, both Blairgowrie courses (and the "Wee Course") are fantastic, though expensive as a visitor.

Dunkeld is a good testing course, though extremely hilly, with a friendly club house. Pitlochry Golf club is also only 10 miles further up the A9, is also friendly and well priced.

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed 30 Mar 2011, 2:00 pm

Gareth_NI wrote:Doc, don't mean to rub it in, both Blairgowrie courses (and the "Wee Course") are fantastic, though expensive as a visitor.

Dunkeld is a good testing course, though extremely hilly, with a friendly club house. Pitlochry Golf club is also only 10 miles further up the A9, is also friendly and well priced.

Thanks for that Gareth, I don't mind the odd hill climb now and again, so will probably give Dunkeld a whirl at least one of the days thumbsup

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum