The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Records that will never be broken.

+12
lovely_london
NathanDB10
Imperial Ghosty
Unbeatable Georgey Groves
88Chris05
Valero's Conscience
Steffan
superflyweight
ShahenshahG
Rowley
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
John Bloody Wayne
16 posters

Go down

Records that will never be broken. Empty Records that will never be broken.

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 10 Feb 2012, 4:18 pm

Each fighter has a record in boxing, but some records will never be broken.

For example Len Wickwar's 337 wins, Archie Moore's 135/141 depending on who you believe KO's or Georges Carpentier going from fly to heavy. Can they possibly be broken given how rarely modern fighters compete in comparison?

What other examples are there of records seemingly unrepeatable that will stand forever, and what incredible records could potentially be broken by fighters we already know?

Mayweather shows no signs of ageing and stays in fantastic condition a well as taking very little punishment. It seems crazy to think he could stay at the top level for another 14 years and become the oldest champion, but what's stopping him? He's obviously able to adapt, still looks fast and his reflexes show no signs of slipping. It's unlikely Mayweather will stay in boxing long enough for us to find out, and be risking his precious "0" by staying in too long, but if anyone around can break Bernard's record it's him.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Records that will never be broken. Empty Re: Records that will never be broken.

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 10 Feb 2012, 4:25 pm

I can't see anyone winning titles in 9 weight divisions unless there are more weight divisions in the future or the gap between weight classes shorten.

Sugar Ray Robinson will never be knocked of the ring magazine(and every bodies) #1 p4p list. I know it's not technically a record.

Floyd-Oscar ppv numbers wont be beaten

Hopkins record will be beaten. People don't fight as often now and new sciences mean that they can go on for longer and become stronger

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 10 Feb 2012, 4:26 pm

At heavy toppling Marciano's 49-0 is not beyond the realms, particularly when you consider Holmes was 48-0 at one point and Valuev got within a couple of fights.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 10 Feb 2012, 4:27 pm

Good points, not sure on the PPV numbers being unbeatable though. Not until Pacquiao or Mayweather hang 'em up permanently anyway.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 10 Feb 2012, 4:29 pm

rowley wrote:At heavy toppling Marciano's 49-0 is not beyond the realms, particularly when you consider Holmes was 48-0 at one point and Valuev got within a couple of fights.

By the way mister Rowley (not meaning to derail my own thread or anything) any idea what happened to my first hand accounts of the wildcard?

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 10 Feb 2012, 4:31 pm

Tyson Fury - punching himself in the face? How about Tua-Ibeabuchi - most punches ever thrown in a 12 round fight (I think more than ever thrown in 15 also but not sure)

Doesnt look like the division will go back to the smaller guys - no one seems to want a go.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 10 Feb 2012, 4:31 pm

Unlikely that anyone is going to simultaneously hold the featherweight, lightweight and welterweight titles and repeat Armstrong's feat.

They're certainly not going to be undisputed and neither are they going to do it by fighting 14 times in a year and beating men of the calibre of Ross, Ambers and Arizmendi.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 10 Feb 2012, 4:31 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:any idea what happened to my first hand accounts of the wildcard?

Yes I liked that thread as well

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 10 Feb 2012, 4:34 pm

I think I know what happened Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 10 Feb 2012, 4:58 pm

Ibeabuchi's criminal record will be hard to beat!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 10 Feb 2012, 5:15 pm

Benitez's record of winning a lineal world title (or any kind of world title, come to think of it) aged just seventeen is a record that'll take some beating, I'd think. I think we can safely say that Fitzsimmons' record of being the lighest ever Heavyweight champion (167 lb) won't be shifted any time soon, too!

Opinion seems split on who boxed the most world championship rounds (Miguel Canto or Emile Griffith), but whichever one it is, it's going to be a hard record to break.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Fri 10 Feb 2012, 5:52 pm

Rigondeaux winning world title after 9 fights is impressive...but it could possibly be beaten giving the number of champs these days

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 10 Feb 2012, 6:04 pm

That one isn't a record, the fewest number of fights to win a title is 3 by Saensak Muangsurin.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Fri 10 Feb 2012, 7:23 pm

I did say it is beatable...

Back to top Go down

Post by NathanDB10 Fri 10 Feb 2012, 7:34 pm

I don't think Joe Louis record of defences will be beaten, by that I mean consecutive defences of the undisputed championship. It may be possible to amass a record of defences by jumping from belt to belt.

Pac's 8 weight classes is pretty watertight as well IMO, while B-Hops oldest champion will probably also be around for a good few years judging by the people in with a shot of being champion now. Only VK has a chance I would say.

NathanDB10

Back to top Go down

Post by lovely_london Fri 10 Feb 2012, 8:14 pm

when wladamir retires in about 5 years i think he will have been hw champion for about 12/13 years. i dont think that record will be broken.

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 10 Feb 2012, 8:40 pm

Audley Harrisons popularity is second to none.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 10 Feb 2012, 9:20 pm

lovely_london wrote:when wladamir retires in about 5 years i think he will have been hw champion for about 12/13 years. i dont think that record will be broken.

He'll have been A heavyweight champion not THE heavyweight champion, Louis being the man for 25 defences is something I don't think will be broken.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Fri 10 Feb 2012, 9:35 pm

Mike Tyson as the youngest HW to win the IBF, WBC & WBA championship of the world at 20 years, 4 months and 22 days old will be one that will stick around for a while.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by lovely_london Fri 10 Feb 2012, 11:59 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:
lovely_london wrote:when wladamir retires in about 5 years i think he will have been hw champion for about 12/13 years. i dont think that record will be broken.

He'll have been A heavyweight champion not THE heavyweight champion, Louis being the man for 25 defences is something I don't think will be broken.

well his brother is retiring soon so wlad will easily win his belt and be 'the' hw champ.

but the point is that he will have been the hw champ for over a decade. pretty impressive.

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 11 Feb 2012, 12:23 am

Well depends on your interpretation, I wouldn't personally consider him to be THE heavyweight champion for over a decade, he only really got that acclaim once he beat Chagaev.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sat 11 Feb 2012, 5:08 am

NathanDB10 wrote:I don't think Joe Louis record of defences will be beaten, by that I mean consecutive defences of the undisputed championship. It may be possible to amass a record of defences by jumping from belt to belt.

Pac's 8 weight classes is pretty watertight as well IMO, while B-Hops oldest champion will probably also be around for a good few years judging by the people in with a shot of being champion now. Only VK has a chance I would say.
Agree with you on Joe Louis, disagree with you on Pac. Technically, Pac has only won 'world titles' in six divisions not eight. He never held a world belt at feather or light welterweight. The IBO is not one of the major belts and The Ring belt isn't a real world belt either.

Maybe I'm splitting hairs but I don't think Pac's claim to have won world titles in eight divisions is 'watertight'.

EDIT: Someone will have to help me out here. Even if I count his win over Hatton for the IBO and Ring belt I still only count seven.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by lovely_london Sat 11 Feb 2012, 10:53 am

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Well depends on your interpretation, I wouldn't personally consider him to be THE heavyweight champion for over a decade, he only really got that acclaim once he beat Chagaev.

I don't think its debateable He has had a world title for over all that time hence he has been the hw champ. no possible way you can say hes not.

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 11 Feb 2012, 11:01 am

You can because it's the nature of boxing nowadays, the reality of the situation is that his reign is far less impressive and arguably would be shorter than Louis', he hasn't even been a belt holder for 6 years yet.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by johnson2 Sat 11 Feb 2012, 12:18 pm

lovely_london wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:Well depends on your interpretation, I wouldn't personally consider him to be THE heavyweight champion for over a decade, he only really got that acclaim once he beat Chagaev.

I don't think its debateable He has had a world title for over all that time hence he has been the hw champ. no possible way you can say hes not.

He has held a portion. Big bro has always helped him out with tough fighters.

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down