The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland - post match discussion

+36
RubyGuby
justified sinner
alive555
NeilyBroon
slartibartfast
Scot Abroad
nickj
chewed_mintie
Axeman
mckay1402
marty2086
Manky-Flanker
RuggerRadge2611
Hound_of_Harrow
bsando
The Great Aukster
TycroesOsprey
sportform
SecretFly
George Carlin
TJ1
Glas a du
funnyExiledScot
Calder106
Cymroglan
allyt2k
R!skysports
RDW
Pat_Mustard
eirebilly
senghenydd1913
Shifty
Biltong
Redrage
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
40 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Scotland - post match discussion - Page 2 Empty Scotland - post match discussion

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 13 Feb - 5:53

First topic message reminder :

Am sitting on the train on my way home from Cardiff, in good spirits, in part due to the top company of Penfro Pete, Mrs Penfro, dreamer and lucky, and also in part cos it does actually feel like Scotland have turned a corner. Of course, I could be completely delusional, but I felt at the very least we needed a thread of our own, free from gloating numpties, away from critiques of players that have retired, etc.

So here it is, how do you think Scotland went today? Hogg gave us glimpses of what is to come, Denton and Rennie led the way in the pack, and Laidlaw didn't look out of place in any sense at this level in the 10 shirt. Two silly, needless yellow cards put us In the corner and we got our just desserts. But my god, there's hope and plenty of it Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Scotland - post match discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Scotland - post match discussion

Post by allyt2k Mon 13 Feb - 8:38

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:ally, I would much prefer it the other way round - McAlpine to lock and Harley to develop his game at 6. I think Rob McA can look to the example of Gilchrist over at Embra - with the right encouragement and coaching he could be v v good. Harley needs to develop a couple of aspects of his game and he will be up there with the great Scottish blindsides imo

Dont get me wrong Im not saying Harley should move to the second row or stay at 6 I just think that Lineen is looking to spend cash on a number 8 if Beattie is leaving and Barcley? then i doubt he'll have the cash to bring in a good lock once Gray is away will he want to wait until Mcalpine and Cambell get up to speed or just move Harley in to the second row where he has played just aswell as at number 6
in the games i watched recently he looks to be bulking up too much and has lost pace from last season

allyt2k

Back to top Go down

Scotland - post match discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Scotland - post match discussion

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 13 Feb - 8:40

ally, then who goes to 6 for the weegies? Jedi? Not sure he's got what it takes tbh - Wilson can do a v decent Rabo job at 8, but I like the idea of an experienced SH player (like Masoe, altho obviosuly that's not happening now) coming in to mentor the youngsters

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 13 Feb - 8:41

No, that's right. I mentioned it on the player ratings thread I think. Some good and important tackles, but at the breakdown and in the ball carrying stakes he wasn't effective. I know you like a 6 to be a "chopper", but at international level he has to be more than that.

Lydiate was superb today. Both a chopper and a total pest at the breakdown, and when asked to carry he made his yards. That's what I think we need. Strokosch is capable of it, I just think he was pretty average today. Not poor, just not as good as he needs to be.

Assuming Brown isn't fit against France I'd probably stick with Strokosch, but he'd be on borrowed time and I'd have either Harley or McInally on the bench.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 13 Feb - 8:42

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:ally, then who goes to 6 for the weegies? Jedi? Not sure he's got what it takes tbh - Wilson can do a v decent Rabo job at 8, but I like the idea of an experienced SH player (like Masoe, altho obviosuly that's not happening now) coming in to mentor the youngsters

To be honest having watched the Glasgow vs Scarlets game the other night I thought the young trio of Harley, Fusaro and Wilson combined exceptionally well.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by allyt2k Mon 13 Feb - 8:54

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:ally, then who goes to 6 for the weegies? Jedi? Not sure he's got what it takes tbh - Wilson can do a v decent Rabo job at 8, but I like the idea of an experienced SH player (like Masoe, altho obviosuly that's not happening now) coming in to mentor the youngsters

I would like to know where Lineens got the money from to bring back R Lamont, S lamont and try and get a new zealander and all Edinburgh can get is a player from Arioni, i think he must of won the euro millions and hasn't said anything, unless Edinburgh are acctually getting Brad Thorn ''fingers crossed''

allyt2k

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 13 Feb - 8:55

Right! I am back from the game, have not looked at any posts so I could keep this statement as true as possible to what I witnessed in the stadium...

Scotland played Well, I would even say they outplayed Wales.

Scotland made 2 very, very! costly mistakes that resulted in deserved yellows.

Cusiter kooked restart 2nd half and created desperate situation which then led to De Luca and R Lamont yellows.

Wales had hands/bodies slowing down Scottish ball in rucks which ref did not seem to realise throughout the whole game, and, was quite frankly a disgrace!

Ref called false knock on that would have resulted in try for Scotland (I was sitting directly in front). However, he was not in good position to see and it and it did look dodgey. But ultimately it was NOT a knock on.

Wales punished us when we were down men, they fully deserved the trys they got, but generally did not look overly dangerous when we had 15 men on the pitch. Many times they ran out of ideas in attack and simply booted it up in the air.

Scottish game plan looked very improvised at times and lacked composure in critical moments.

I would have to say Scotland played the better rugby/controlled the game better, but Wales took their chances with brutal efficiency and deserved the win.

1/2 penny kicked very very well and had a great game, as did Cuthbert.

Well done Wales! Wales

Scotland... Please, please pleeaassssee stop ruining games with horrendous errors!!!!

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 13 Feb - 8:55

funnyExiledScot wrote:No, that's right. I mentioned it on the player ratings thread I think. Some good and important tackles, but at the breakdown and in the ball carrying stakes he wasn't effective. I know you like a 6 to be a "chopper", but at international level he has to be more than that.

Lydiate was superb today. Both a chopper and a total pest at the breakdown, and when asked to carry he made his yards. That's what I think we need. Strokosch is capable of it, I just think he was pretty average today. Not poor, just not as good as he needs to be.

Assuming Brown isn't fit against France I'd probably stick with Strokosch, but he'd be on borrowed time and I'd have either Harley or McInally on the bench.
Nah, 4 carries for 11 yards, 11 tackles made, 1 missed

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 13 Feb - 9:25

Jacobsen was robbed for MOTM.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Mon 13 Feb - 10:18

"Andy Robinson is a passionate coach but he's not a winner -that much is clear."

But he has a better winning record in % terms than his immediate predecessors.

Robinson should not be blamed for the poor execution of basic skills; the players need to have a good look at themselves in that respect.

Anyway, this thread has been a good read thumbsup

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon 13 Feb - 10:30

Robinson must carry the blame - playing out of form limited players in place of the inform players in the name of experience.

These two games have highlighted that totally - Laidlaw and Hogg should so obviously have started against England and so many fans said so

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Mon 13 Feb - 10:42

Pat_Mustard wrote:
Redrage wrote:My chief complaint is that we seem to have forgotten to make the scoreboard tick over. We had two good chances to go for a drop goal in their 22, but we kept huffing and puffing for a try (which we don't come by easily). We could have went in with a 9-3 lead at half time with a smarter strategy. Losing a try right after HT wouldn't have been such a disaster and wouldn't have led to the panic that followed!

However, Hogg must stay, Laidlaw, Denton and Rennie must stay too!

I would argue that a part of the problem is that in the past we've often been too quick to go for drop goals etc as soon as we get in the 22 instead of going through the phases drawing in defenders until gaps appear. I thought we were unlucky not to get the try at the end of the first half and we were doing the right thing by going for it. Thats the attitude we need and we mustn't be discouraged from it and go back to our old ways.

It is definitely a balancing act, if you are stuck out wide then grunt is the way to go, but if we are in middle and not really getting anywhere then it makes sense to get the points, have them kick back to you and put the pressure back on again.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Mon 13 Feb - 11:10

Ok TJ - I take your point on actual selection; and Robinson faced similiar criticism when he was England's head coach. But he's not the guy failing to score tries from promising positions. That's all I'm trying to say.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Feb - 12:44

I felt sorry for Scotland not being given that try, but at first glance I thought the pass was forward anyway. Didn't get the benefit of a replay there though. At least you got your score though, which you wouldn't have got if the "kncok on" try had been awarded.

But I actually expected a lot more from Scotland when I heard we had a lopsided backrow to go alongside our unorthodox lock partnership. So all things considered I am happy with the win. There is a good foundation in place for the Scots though with some of your finds, so maybe next year you guys can push on some more.

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 13 Feb - 20:24

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
Riskysports wrote:Think looking at the team

Front row - were ok, scrum a lottery, Ford carried well
Second Row - Hamilton ok, Gray Very good
Back Row - All great except Strokosh who was cery poor
Cussiter - ok, but blair better
Laidlaw - ok and got better, work in progress
S Lamont - ok
NDL- Was doing ok, but again lets himself down with a stupid play - How many times!
Jones - lively
M Evens - ok, but not great
R Lamont - MUCH better on the wing

Subs - Kellock - good and deserves to replace Hamilton in two weeks
Hogg - great - deserves to start, with R Lamont on the wing

The enigma that is NdL - he's been so good for Embra all season, but once again dropped a feicing clanger at this level. Does he get one more chance with a proper IC partner or is that it? Radge, you're a big fan, would appreciate your thoughts?

NDL's moment of madness is inexcusable and you won't even hear me defending a stupid decision like that. However his brain fart aside I thought he played pretty well, made his tackles against the bigger Welsh centres without hesitation and demonstrated some nifty slight of hand.

Not his best game but for all of his faults he playes better with a play maker inside him.

Sean Lamont is one of my favourite players, the passion, the pride and the commitment to Scotland is never in question. Again however he is yet to be proven to be an effective distributer for the international 12 jersey. Edinburgh's backline works well because teh 1st choice team : 9. Blair 10. Laidlaw and 12. Scott can all shuffle one postition inwards and still feel comfortable. This gives them the best chance to spread the ball wide.

I personally would like AR to try the Edinburgh backline with Hogg at 15 and S.Lamont at 11 for the France game. We saw shades of Edinburgh's style of play against Wales with some slick handling in the contact area but as a whole Scotland were not fully commited to that kind of game.

NDL played poor and I have no doubt his stupid mistake was a huge part of the reason we lost the match, however what he brings to the Edinburgh side can't be replicated with Sean Lamont at 12. I think we all said this before the 6N started.

I agree with some of the other posts, it'll be a couple of years before we see the best of some of these youngsters.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Mon 13 Feb - 20:29

I personally would like AR to try the Edinburgh backline with Hogg at 15 and S.Lamont at 11 for the France game.

+1

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 13 Feb - 20:53

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/club-rugby/six_nations_steadman_given_notice_as_ruthless_robinson_seeks_to_strengthen_team_1_2113820

From the hootsman today it seems Steadman has been given his tatties. I'm not sure why the defence coach is being sacked when we only really leaked tries whilst down to 14 men or less.

The bit that really bemuses me is :

It is understood that Steadman has been given the required notice that his contract will not be renewed because Robinson has his eyes on someone else to fulfil the defence role. He refused to comment when asked whether he was considering changing his other assistant, attack coach Gregor Townsend, but that seems unlikely

censored Robinson I reckon will pay with his job now even if we do Beat Italy in Rome which I think under the circumstances is not a good looking prospect.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon 13 Feb - 21:22

I ruddy hope he does.

When a team consitently plays below its potential and when selection is so obviously wrong then the coach must shoulder the blame

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 13 Feb - 21:40

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
Riskysports wrote:Think looking at the team

Front row - were ok, scrum a lottery, Ford carried well
Second Row - Hamilton ok, Gray Very good
Back Row - All great except Strokosh who was cery poor
Cussiter - ok, but blair better
Laidlaw - ok and got better, work in progress
S Lamont - ok
NDL- Was doing ok, but again lets himself down with a stupid play - How many times!
Jones - lively
M Evens - ok, but not great
R Lamont - MUCH better on the wing

Subs - Kellock - good and deserves to replace Hamilton in two weeks
Hogg - great - deserves to start, with R Lamont on the wing

The enigma that is NdL - he's been so good for Embra all season, but once again dropped a feicing clanger at this level. Does he get one more chance with a proper IC partner or is that it? Radge, you're a big fan, would appreciate your thoughts?

NDL's moment of madness is inexcusable and you won't even hear me defending a stupid decision like that. However his brain fart aside I thought he played pretty well, made his tackles against the bigger Welsh centres without hesitation and demonstrated some nifty slight of hand.

Not his best game but for all of his faults he playes better with a play maker inside him.

Sean Lamont is one of my favourite players, the passion, the pride and the commitment to Scotland is never in question. Again however he is yet to be proven to be an effective distributer for the international 12 jersey. Edinburgh's backline works well because teh 1st choice team : 9. Blair 10. Laidlaw and 12. Scott can all shuffle one postition inwards and still feel comfortable. This gives them the best chance to spread the ball wide.

I personally would like AR to try the Edinburgh backline with Hogg at 15 and S.Lamont at 11 for the France game. We saw shades of Edinburgh's style of play against Wales with some slick handling in the contact area but as a whole Scotland were not fully commited to that kind of game.

NDL played poor and I have no doubt his stupid mistake was a huge part of the reason we lost the match, however what he brings to the Edinburgh side can't be replicated with Sean Lamont at 12. I think we all said this before the 6N started.

I agree with some of the other posts, it'll be a couple of years before we see the best of some of these youngsters.
I think that's right about NdL, one last chance with a genuine 12 at IC, but if he fails again, that's it for me. Don't forget that he also threw the clanger of the pass that Hogg had to juggle and was incorrectly deemed to have knocked forward. S Lamont to the wing, in the Visser role, Hogg at FB, and otherwise Embra first choice backs

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 13 Feb - 21:42

Risca Rev wrote:I felt sorry for Scotland not being given that try, but at first glance I thought the pass was forward anyway. Didn't get the benefit of a replay there though. At least you got your score though, which you wouldn't have got if the "kncok on" try had been awarded.
Rev, my friend, hope you're safe - nearly done now? You missed a good match, wrong result obviously, but an entertaining tussle. Tbh don't think you can really say that we wouldn't have scored Laidlaw's try if Hogg's had correctly been allowed - it's simply impossible to know what would have happened, so equally I wouldn't claim that we would definitely have scored, even though I felt that the momentum had swung with us by that point.

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 13 Feb - 21:52

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/club-rugby/six_nations_steadman_given_notice_as_ruthless_robinson_seeks_to_strengthen_team_1_2113820

From the hootsman today it seems Steadman has been given his tatties. I'm not sure why the defence coach is being sacked when we only really leaked tries whilst down to 14 men or less.

The bit that really bemuses me is :

It is understood that Steadman has been given the required notice that his contract will not be renewed because Robinson has his eyes on someone else to fulfil the defence role. He refused to comment when asked whether he was considering changing his other assistant, attack coach Gregor Townsend, but that seems unlikely

censored Robinson I reckon will pay with his job now even if we do Beat Italy in Rome which I think under the circumstances is not a good looking prospect.
Radge, that is an interesting one - no contract renewal for Steadman, with Toonie's also up in May. I cannot imagine that he would have his renewed into the same position, that would really cement my quickly hardening view that all selection (including the appointment of coaches) should be removed from Robinson's grasp.

On the other hand, what with the imminent arrival of Scott Johnston, it does look as tho Robinson still enjoys the complete backing of Dodson so I really don't see him going anywhere, certainly not in the sense of being pushed. Perhaps if we suffer a complete whitewash he will walk on his own accord, but i hope that doesn't then mean that we are tied to Johnston?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 13 Feb - 21:55

As a neutral watching the game I ended up finding myself wanting Scotland to win but realised that all too often Scotland put in the effort without getting the result so how long can Robinson keep up that trend?

Another few things were that Laidlaw looked good but all too often he didnt have the power for the line breaks against a side like Wales.

Quite a few times players were left isolated as no one reacted to a line break if they can address that in the next 2 weeks Scotland will be a problem for any team especially with the emergance of Hogg and guys like Jones and Evans in the team

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 13 Feb - 21:59

Well as an Irish fan, i am dreading facing Scotland now. I was very impressed by them and the Welsh really needed so good defence to stop them at times.

eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Mon 13 Feb - 22:06

Scotland need some consistency. I think they chose the right game plan against Wales and need to stick with it. It's a huge change from what they have been playing and it will take a few games to click but once it does Scotland are going to be the ones to beat in my opinion. They have a huge pack and some superb backs coming through.

I said the other day that I thought it would be too soon for them to win this match and predicted a 15 point margin. All those calling for AR to resign or be sacked should give the guy a break. He tried something with Parks an d it didn't work out so he's changing things. Let him have a go and if it still doesn't work then get someone new.

This Scotland team has massive potential and I can't wait to see it realised.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 13 Feb - 22:12

mckay1402 wrote:Scotland need some consistency. I think they chose the right game plan against Wales and need to stick with it. It's a huge change from what they have been playing and it will take a few games to click but once it does Scotland are going to be the ones to beat in my opinion. They have a huge pack and some superb backs coming through.

I said the other day that I thought it would be too soon for them to win this match and predicted a 15 point margin. All those calling for AR to resign or be sacked should give the guy a break. He tried something with Parks an d it didn't work out so he's changing things. Let him have a go and if it still doesn't work then get someone new.

He has been trying it for ages and those who came before him had tried it too.

His selection of Parks against England was inexcusable. Not one Scottish poster was happy with that decision.

I have no problem with coaches making mistakes, but Robinson knows what Parks brings to the table and picked him anyway above players like Weir and Laidlaw who are much better options.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 13 Feb - 22:15

mckay1402 wrote:Scotland need some consistency. I think they chose the right game plan against Wales and need to stick with it. It's a huge change from what they have been playing and it will take a few games to click but once it does Scotland are going to be the ones to beat in my opinion. They have a huge pack and some superb backs coming through.

mckay, Robinson's selections have been somewhere on a spectrum that runs from variable to appalling for some time now. This was purportedly one of the main issues with his England tenure and it is a problem for Scotland too - the changes that he has made have largely been forced on him through injury (ie Denton at 8). But I'm with you on the potential, and really hope that it can be realised OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon 13 Feb - 22:18

ARs selection s - look at the team and highlights for the A team game

http:www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZbA7yN7S9w

A good few of those guys should have been playing for the full team instead of the players we had against England.

its not just the selection of Parks - its other selections as well such as not playing Hogg, such as mixing up the halfback pairs. We filed in the last 6N, we failed at the WC and we failed inthe game against England - plying below par all the time - he must carry the can

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Mon 13 Feb - 22:24

I see what you're saying but it wasn't so long ago that Wales fans were saying the same about Gatland. Lets face it When Robinson came in he had limited resources to play with and had to use a limited game plan. The situation is now infinitely better with young players coming through who weren't there or anywhere near ready for international rugby a little while ago. He's giving them game time and allowing them to bed into the squad and team.

I think he's done ok so far but he has to step it up now and with the likes of Hogg and Jones coming in he has players that can really make an impact. My biggest bug bear and the thing that frustrated me so much against England is the speed or lack of it to the breakdown.

Scotland have a superb pack but they mentally lack the edge to win the competition for the ball. The only difference between Scotland and being a top 8 side is ruthlessness in my opinion
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Feb - 22:25

Just out of curiosity, could someone talk me through the break that let to Hogg's try? The BBC coverage is awful of that moment and I can't actually see the field to see how the play unfolded (the camera is so zoomed in to the preceding ruck). I'm particularly interested in what the Welsh defense was doing to give so much space to Scotland. It was a very nice piece of attacking play by Scotland and it seems to come from a nice run of diagonal running off the shoulder, rather than straight up and at them, but I could be wrong.

Also, Nick de Luca needs to be dropped. Like, yesterday.

Back to top Go down

Post by Axeman Mon 13 Feb - 22:38

Having had the night to sleep on it - I think there were undoubtedly some positives although I'm still getting very frustrated by stupid mistakes and poor basics

1. NDL's pass to Hogg for the try that wasn't - If the pass hadn't been so poor the Hoggy would have romped in. [Poor basics]

2. For the 3rd test in 4 - failure to cope with a restart cost us dear. [Poor basics]

3. Initial falure to handle Wales's aggressive defence - there was certainly one period where we must have lost 15m as passed the ball across the pitch behind the gain line. [To be fair we seemed to improve in that area as the game went on.]

4. Lots of kicks going to far preventing our players competing for the ball. [Poor basics] - Everytime I see the difference in pressure applied by the ABs when a kick is put up and when Scotland do it I just despair.

It does however seem that the newer generation of players coming through are excuting these basic skills better than those they are replacing. perhaps we should specifically focus on bringin on youth for the next 3 years and accept that this year and next we're likely to struggle (no change there then!)

Axeman

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Mon 13 Feb - 23:15

I thought Scotland played with enterprise, if a little bit directionless at times. I thought they were brave to try running the ball and this was good to see – and exactly what I asked for last week. There was a clear change of plan from last week, but it will not bear fruit straight away. I think Denton was targeted slightly and Wales paid close attention to him but he still had a very good game and is a great prospect.

The 9/10 combo has to be Blair and Laidlaw. Laidlaw needs to work on his defence, he is small but Carter/Wilkinson would have made that tackle on (was it) Cuthbert.

Scotland’s back are capable enough to produce chances but what they need to address is the chance conversion rate. Stuart Hogg is good enough, get him in there at 15, put Lamont on the wing and put Evans in at centre (at least to try something different).

I really enjoyed the game, it was a good, fast paced game though a bit rudderless at times (from both teams)

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Tue 14 Feb - 0:07

Imagine this in 2013/14:
15. Hogg/R. Lamont
14. Jones/Evans
13. De Luca/ Ansbro
12. Scott/ S.Lamont
11. VISSER/Walker
10. Weir/ Laidlaw/ Leonard
9. Lawson/ Blair/ Cusiter
8. Denton/ (on form) Beattie
7. Rennie/ (on form) Barclay
6. Brown/ Strockosh/ Harley
(add Mcinally, Vernon, Wilson, Ally Hogg, Fusaro and Grant to the mix)
5. Hamilton/ Mckenzie/ Gilchrist
4. Gray/ Kellock
3. Murray/ (2010 form) Lowe/ Cross
2. Ford/ MacArthur/ Lawson
1. Shiells/ Jacobsen

This looks very promising probably the best in Britain

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Tue 14 Feb - 0:10

Guys. Thank you. I was hugely disappointed after yesterday's game, but reading this thread has cheered me up no end. Plenty to be positive about and I might even re-watch the game tonight.

Apart from the nightmare 15 mins, I was comfortable with most of Scotland's play. I thought we 'won' the first half and were in control.

- I was impressed by the pack, I thought they played their socks off.
- I was ok with our half backs. I thought they played well together seeing as it was their first game as a partnership.
- I even thought the backline performed well and looked like they might make a breakthrough at some point. I actually believed we had a chance of breaching the Welsh blitz on a number of occasions.

I accept I was too conservative not backing Hogg for a starting berth last week. And I agree we need to play a new 12 now too. Sorry.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Tue 14 Feb - 0:17

Hogg carried his club form straight into test rugby, no problems making the step up. Sean Maitland we don't need you anymore........unless, eh, you fancy pulling on a 12 jersey instead! Very Happy

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Tue 14 Feb - 0:22

Add Bennett to the team, Grand slam within 3 years

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Tue 14 Feb - 0:37

Any news on Bennett and his recovery from injury?

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 14 Feb - 3:27

I believe he's back in light training, much quicker than the original prognosis - hope he's not rushing things

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 14 Feb - 3:29

123456789 wrote:Imagine this in 2013/14:
15. Hogg/R. Lamont
14. Jones/Evans
13. De Luca/ Ansbro/Bennet
12. Scott/ S.LamontKing
11. VISSER/WalkerMaitland
9. Lawson/ Blair/ Cusiter/Laidlaw
4. Gray/ Kellock
3. Murray/ (2010 form) Low/ Cross
1. Shiells/ Jacobsen/Welsh

Numbers, fixed that for you OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Tue 14 Feb - 4:46

123456789 wrote:Imagine this in 2013/14:
15. Hogg/R. Lamont
14. Jones/Evans/S.Lamont
13. De Luca/ Ansbro/Bennet
12. Scott/ S.LamontKing
11. VISSER/WalkerMaitland
9. Lawson/ Blair/ Cusiter/Laidlaw
4. Gray/ Kellock
3. Murray/ (2010 form) Low/ Cross
1. Shiells/ Jacobsen/Welsh

Numbers, fixed that for you OK

Double fix

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Tue 14 Feb - 4:56

mckay1402 wrote:I see what you're saying but it wasn't so long ago that Wales fans were saying the same about Gatland. Lets face it When Robinson came in he had limited resources to play with and had to use a limited game plan. The situation is now infinitely better with young players coming through who weren't there or anywhere near ready for international rugby a little while ago. He's giving them game time and allowing them to bed into the squad and team.

none of which is down to Robinson. His poor selection and poor substitutions have cost us the two games in the WC and the game against England. He has delayed playing he youngsters not promoted them - he has only brought them in when forced to - his decision to play Parks agaisnt England is a classic bad decision. Worst WC ever, worst world rankings ever. dreadful 6N under him

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Tue 14 Feb - 5:02

SecretFly wrote:It's always galling when the winners offer coaching tips...Wink Never listen to those guys.

As for the game. Great game. Now, that's what Scotland can do. No, not win but play a game that can... rather than last week when they played a game that never would.

What can Wales do? Nothing much. Run a little, run some more, run through someone, run around someone, run at someone, run away from someone and run over something called a tryline. Nothing special at all.

Don't forget that wales can also pass and catch the ball accuratley
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 14 Feb - 5:09

An alright performance I guess. But we mustn't lie to ourselves, by any other teams standards, a good performance would be attacking, scoring tries, keeping possession AND winning. So let's not get ahead of ourselves. I think the young players have proven that we need to introduce them all to our backline. Our experienced players are too poor to get the tries we desperately need. I wish Matt Scott the best with his law stuff, I don't think we'll be seeing him until summer if I'm honest, but we've got to sort out this centre issue. Perhaps Robinson will think about slotting Jackson in at centre (bit of a wildcard there)? Or perhaps if King performs he'll be put there? Lamont is not a natural centre, he holds the ball too much, we need a distributor. I think that no Strokosch will improve our back row, not that we had a problem, he just didn't contribute much. We also seem to have a non-scrummaging front row at the moment which could be a big problem against France. I've heard good things about Welsh and Kalman? Glasgow seem to have a powerful pack, maybe we should make the most of that.

I think its time to shed the old players and move onto the new. We've basically done it with the forwards in the past two years, look at how formidable most of them are now! We just need to now do it with the backs, it's a similar situation to Ireland keeping mostly their experience over youth, the difference obviously being that their old boys are actually good!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 14 Feb - 5:11

slartibartfast wrote:
SecretFly wrote:It's always galling when the winners offer coaching tips...Wink Never listen to those guys.

As for the game. Great game. Now, that's what Scotland can do. No, not win but play a game that can... rather than last week when they played a game that never would.

What can Wales do? Nothing much. Run a little, run some more, run through someone, run around someone, run at someone, run away from someone and run over something called a tryline. Nothing special at all.

Don't forget that wales can also pass and catch the ball accuratley

Saying all that would have ruined the beautiful flow of my comment Wink , and besides, I think it was implicit in my summary anyway. Just take a very real compliment when you get one, slarti - I know I would.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Tue 14 Feb - 5:22

How about Jackson at 13 for the France game outside of Scott and Laidlaw. He could play there for Glasgow with Weir at 10. He could be used as an alternative punter but kept away from goalkicking
Team for France:

15. Hogg
14. Jones
13. Jackson
12. Scott or Lamont if he's not available
11. Evans or a Lamont
10. Laidlaw
9. Blair
8. Denton or Beattie or Denton
7. Rennie or Rennie or Rennie
6. Harley/Mcinally or Denton or Barclay
5. Hamilton
4. Gray
3. Cross
2. Ford
1. JAcobsen

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Tue 14 Feb - 5:36

Damn. Forgot sky+ Shocked
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Tue 14 Feb - 6:36

Suggestion jackson at 13 ?

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Tue 14 Feb - 6:38

Why not?

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Tue 14 Feb - 6:47

Because in International rugby u can't play players out of position . It doesnt work . Check Lamont for example . right peg wrong hole . Not a success never will be . better with Scott of Ndl .

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Tue 14 Feb - 8:08

No Jackson at 13, he's not quick enough and doesn't tackle hard enough. If you are going to move a playmaker into the centre it'd be to 12. The Edinburgh trio of Blair-Laidlaw-Scott would be ideal with Ansbro at 13. Back three of SLamont, Jones and Hogg.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 14 Feb - 8:27

I'm not sure Javkson did enough against the Scarlets to merit a recall tbh, I think it would be very harsh on wee Duncy if it happened. Defo cannot see him at 13, and presuming Ansbro hasn't recovered yet, I think we have to either stick with NdL, bu he needs a proper 12 at IC, or else use S Lamont there cos he's played very effectively there for Scarlets, but then that leaves open the 12 question and I still think Robinson is too conservative to follow logic and from by picking Matt Scott

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 14 Feb - 8:47

I suspect we'll see Blair in for Cusiter and two enforced changes of Hogg for wee Maxy and either Barclay or Vernon in for Stroks - I would prefer Harley to maintain the balance in our backrow but just don't see it happening

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next