The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anyone been to wimbledon on this forum?

+13
bogbrush
Priesty
michael_o
lydian
denzilsmom
Solerina
rafanumberonefan
rafandready
chrisgold23
Wooffie
Davie
yummymummy
TopoftheChops
17 posters

Go down

Has anyone been to wimbledon on this forum? Empty Has anyone been to wimbledon on this forum?

Post by TopoftheChops Tue 22 Mar 2011, 7:04 pm

I went last year, and it was a great experience. I was at the centre court and the views were very good. Has anyone else been to wimbledon?

TopoftheChops

Back to top Go down

Has anyone been to wimbledon on this forum? Empty Re: Has anyone been to wimbledon on this forum?

Post by yummymummy Tue 22 Mar 2011, 7:52 pm

I would LOVE to visit Wimby - BUT - The cost would be prohibative !

From where I live to London is about 7oo miles Rolling Eyes

Add up the Air Fare + Hotel fees + Kennel fees for my dogs
+ Entry fees + Ticket Fees !!!! Doh

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Has anyone been to wimbledon on this forum? Empty Re: Has anyone been to wimbledon on this forum?

Post by Davie Tue 22 Mar 2011, 8:04 pm

I went once on the first Thursday. 20 years ago (ish) - the first year Becker won?

We only queued for about an hour - got ground tickets and spent the day watching the outside courts then about 5:30pm queued outside centre court for reserve tickets as people left. Highlight of the day was seeing the young Boris play Peter MacNamara (I think) on his way to the final. Great day out and seeing some good players up close on the outside courts was a great experience

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Tue 22 Mar 2011, 9:20 pm

Only actually been once before ... in 1982, to see my first tennis hero, John McEnroe on the Wednesday of the first week on Court 1.

We travelled down through the night from sunny Lancashire on a coach, arriving in London at about 7 am. The was no Tube as they were on strike, we were completely wet behind the ears, no internet, no mobile phones, yet somehow we managed to get buses and find our way there. Looking back, I don't know how we did it. We just joined a queue, paid £5.00 and got in. I still don't know how we managed that either. I can't remember who John was playing, but there were stuffy people behind me calling him all the time as it was the height of his 'Superbrat' days. There were also rain delays, and I remember he aced a second serve, and we had to leave before the end of the match to stand a chance of ever getting the coach back home ... which we nearly missed and had to run after. Happy days. Smile

So nearly 30 years later, I've got tickets for Friday of the first week, back on a Number 1 court that I won't recognise, no queueing, no coaches, but lovely trains and hotel rooms. Will I enjoy it as much???

You betcha. Ok!
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisgold23 Tue 22 Mar 2011, 9:52 pm

been 3 times. queued for ground passes, much better than centre courts. can run around watching all the players i like and know and no one else does!! once clapped when lindsay lee waters double faulted against britains Jane O'donoghue as the brit neared a great win. The crowd all looked at me! yeeks, hey i have to be patriotic! lol

chrisgold23

http://thetennistipster.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by rafandready Fri 25 Mar 2011, 1:11 pm

I've been twice - men's semi-finals in 2009 and then the same day last year but tickets for Court 1 instead - women's doubles semi-final and gutted because the Williams sisters were already knocked out.

However a very kind friend (and occasional frequenter of these boards), Womble, was kind enough to let me use her Centre Court ticket for the first set of Rafa v Murray - the scariest set of tennis I've watched live in my life, I was glad to escape laughing

It's a brilliant day out. This year I'm camping for the first time ever to get Centre Court tickets for the first Monday!
rafandready
rafandready

Back to top Go down

Post by rafanumberonefan Mon 25 Apr 2011, 9:07 pm

I go every year. the night before I go to ticket master who sells 200 tickets for centre court. Its right at the back, but its centre court. Last year we did the Queue and had a blast. It was the day the Queen was there. This year we are doing the Queue again and are lucky enough to have ladies final tickets from the ballot.

rafanumberonefan

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Tue 26 Apr 2011, 8:37 pm

rafanumberonefan wrote:I go every year. the night before I go to ticket master who sells 200 tickets for centre court. Its right at the back, but its centre court. Last year we did the Queue and had a blast. It was the day the Queen was there. This year we are doing the Queue again and are lucky enough to have ladies final tickets from the ballot.

Hi rafanumberonefan......welcome to the forum Very Happy

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by denzilsmom Wed 27 Apr 2011, 5:03 pm

I used to go every year, as I lived about half an hour away from Wimbledon and could get the 57 Bus to the top of the hill and walk down. I'd go after School and queue to get the returns for the main show courts, or just go in and hope for the best, just wandering around to see who was about.

When I started work, Bjorn Borg was the main attraction and I used to go and pay to stand at the back of Centre Court and holler my head off with all the other fans. I always seemed to come down with a <lurgy> and get a doctor's note to have some time off Yahoo We did get some black looks from the old gentlemen and ladies, who used to go for a nice afternoon and a glass of Pimms, but we didn't care Very Happy

denzilsmom

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 01 May 2011, 10:07 am

Used to go every year in the 90s but just dont seem to be able to find the time these days. A great experience though and would recommend anyone to go, watching on TV versus live is competely different. You appreciate the skill and speed of the top guys when you see them up close...and also if you get the chance to watch them practicing which can be even more amazing.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by michael_o Tue 03 May 2011, 7:58 pm

Not a fan of Wimbledon. Went a few times in the early '90s and found far too many people there who didn't actually follow tennis and who only went because it's de rigueur to be there, along with Henley and Royal Ascot. And I can't be bothered with the hassle involved in obtaining tickets for the show courts.

Far better to go to tournaments in mainland Europe where the tickets are affordable and easily available. I prefer to watch tennis on clay and go to either Rome or Monte Carlo each year with a couple of days at RG. No desire to go back to Wimbledon.

Really like the look of this forum by the way.

michael_o

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Tue 03 May 2011, 10:17 pm

michael_o wrote:

Really like the look of this forum by the way.

Thanks michael_o..........welcome aboard Smile

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Priesty Wed 04 May 2011, 11:00 pm

I've been twice.1st time was in '86 when our local paper ran a trip for the final weekend.Our tickets were for the old court 1 which meant watching juniors (one of whom was future top tenner Leila Meskhi) and Fillol v Roche in the veterans. Due to a rain delay the mens and womens doubles got moved over to court 1 too so we got to see the likes of Wilander, Navratilova, Shriver, Mandlikova and Turnbull.

Second time was when we were lucky enough to come by a set of tickets from a friend of a friend who couldn't go - this was in '90. Tickets were for the first Wed so there was much more of an atmosphere around the ground. Watched Becker play on Centre - and saw several top players round the grounds!

Definitely worth a visit if it's practicable I'd say.

Priesty

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 12 May 2011, 2:52 pm

Went a couple of times when young but highlights recently have been Quarters 2009, Quarters and FINAL 2010 (all Mens), and will be at the Mens semis this year.

Of the three events I think Mens Semis is the best; two matches that feature the 4 most successful players of the event. Really looking forward to it!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu 12 May 2011, 2:55 pm

I have been going every year on average 4 times/per year for the last 10 years. I have 1/4F tickets (Court one) this year but often manages to get extra ones.

....but then again, I live walking distance to it....I even invited Gasquet to stay at my place when he was 18 but his manager kindly responded that he had arranged accomodation already.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by I AM AWESOME Thu 12 May 2011, 4:35 pm

[quote="Tenez"]I have been going every year on average 4 times/per year for the last 10 years. I have 1/4F tickets (Court one) this year but often manages to get extra ones.

....but then again, I live walking distance to it....I even invited Gasquet to stay at my place when he was 18 but his manager kindly responded that he had arranged accomodation already.[/quote]

WTF?!?! Shocked

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu 12 May 2011, 4:45 pm

Don't worry. I am married and have children. But at the time we had a spare appartment we were trying to rent but was empty.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Thu 12 May 2011, 4:59 pm

LOL! there you are T! Looks good here right?
The world is a global village man ;-)

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu 12 May 2011, 5:03 pm

HI GP - finally you made it. Wink

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Fri 13 May 2011, 9:32 am

Welcome to the forum gallery play.......I hope you like it here : )

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 13 May 2011, 9:47 am

I have been to Wimbledon 1 time, many moons ago to watch Pat Rafter. I used to love watching Rafter on the grass.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 13 May 2011, 9:48 am

Been away for a bit Solerina but congrats on the Mod status Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Fri 13 May 2011, 10:14 am

Solerina wrote:Welcome to the forum gallery play.......I hope you like it here : )

Solerina

Thnx Solerina

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Fri 13 May 2011, 10:21 am

I've never been to Wimbledon, my hopes are on the OG. I signed for the complete mens tournament. We'll see.
I'm from Holland so i have to settle with Rotterdam.. Rolling Eyes

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Fri 13 May 2011, 4:36 pm

eirebilly wrote:Been away for a bit Solerina but congrats on the Mod status Very Happy

Thanks eirebilly........nice to see you posting again.....welcome back : )

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down