The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Phil, L.A., Riviera: Notes from the Ballwasher

+20
NedB-H
hend085
pedro
super_realist
ScottieD18
Leff
McLaren
Be_the_ball
Skydriver
John Cregan
Fader
Sand
Lairdy
GPB
princedracula
venice1
twoeightnine
Redrage
Shotrock
kwinigolfer
24 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: Phil, L.A., Riviera: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 4 Empty PGA Tour: Phil, L.A., Riviera: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 15 Feb - 15:17

First topic message reminder :

1).That breath of fresh air blowing off the Pacific last Sunday was Phil Mickelson brushing away the cobwebs of three weeks' golfing futility and reminding us that he's still on a very short list of the World's most exciting golfers. My short list would be Mickelson, McIlroy, Garcia and Woods, not necessarily in that order. What would your's be?

2).13 wins is a pretty good total for a PGA Tour career. Phil has 13 in California (matching Tiger) alone, plus another 5 in Tucson and Phoenix, and has now reached the milestone of 40 Tour wins, 9th all time as he moves ahead of Middlecoff and Watson. Among the under-36 generation, who would you expect to reach just half of that many wins? I'd guess no-one.

3).Tiger predictably blamed his putter, "I missed a ton of short putts today. I could not get comfortable where I could see my lines. I could not get the putter to swing." Yada, yada, yada.
But even if you give Tiger the four putts inside 6ft that he missed, that's still a 71 and good for fourth, five shots behind Phil. Fact is he only hit nine greens and, coming off his 2-fairway effort in Abu Dhabi, he must surely realise that such "ball striking" is not going to get it done.

4).Yesterday we were told that Tiger will be playing the "Honda", at PGA National. Logical choice as it's just down the road from his mansion. Surprising choice given the winds so prevalent during the tournament's early March date, plus it's a course he hasn't played competitively as a pro. Where's he going to finally get his game together and his name on a trophy then? I reckon his next best chance will be Doral in three weeks. Don't fancy him at Honda or Bay Hill but then he's surely got a great chance at The Masters if he can just putt on Sunday as he does the rest of the week. If he's still winless leaving Augusta, Quail Hollow and The Players would seem long shots, but Memorial always suits him and I can see a shoot-out with Rory and Tiger in Ohio.

5).Meanwhile, Mickelson is smiling all the way to Los Angeles and the "Northern Trust Open", as the Tour leaves its fourth favourite course (Pebble Beach) and drives 325 miles south to its third favourite, the George Thomas design, Riviera CC.
But the Northern Trust can't be trusted to offer any respect to one of its most successful participants this past decade. Only Phil has a better recent record at Riviera than Mike Weir but, in a classic case of what-have-you-done-for-me-lately?, (I've been injured for two years, guv, eh) the tournament twits spurned Weir's request for a tournament slot in favour of such luminaries as Jason Gore (who campaigned for his invitation on Twitter), not to mention some promising amateurs. Canadian (does that have something to do with it?) Weir is due a two year's worth of full exemption on the PGA Tour via the career moneylist. Wonder if he'll play the Northern Trust?

6).On a happier note, the return to the PGA Tour of leading players continues this week with Luke Donald, Jason Day, Adam Scott, Garcia, Goosen and Freddie Jacobson (back from injury) all making their seasonal debut. And welcome back, too, to Tim Clark who's been out for most of the last 13 months.

7).Promising effort last week by Padraig Harrington who also scored a pair of top ten finishes at Riviera before he won three Majors and started to tinker with his swing. Luke Donald enjoyed 5 top 13 results in six years before his eccentric missed cut last year when Justin Rose finished 9th. If they're tournament-ready, you'd have to like the chances of all three.

8).Hopefully not totally lost amid last week's hoopla was a 9th place $153K cheque for Greg Owen, and that earns him a spot in this week's field, alongside other Europeans not previously noted: Davis, Laird, Blixt and Pettersson.
All six PGA Tour events this year have been won by Americans. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Chances of an International win this week though must be 50/50, with KJ Choi another with a fine record here in his 11 visits so far. Eleven made cuts, four top tens and only out of the top 33 twice. Each way investment?

9).Champions Tour in Florida again this week and once again Europe is represented only by Bernhard Langer.
Hope you saw Corey Pavin's miracle left-handed chip last week on his way to his first Champo Tour win. Here's another look:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/golf-devil-ball-golf/video-corey-pavin-pulls-off-one-craziest-shots-135107799.html

10).Last, and probably least, the final year of the Nationwide Tour as we know it gets underway this week in Columbia. Boo Weekley (now withdrawn) and Aberdeen-Aussie Michael Sim will be trying to resurrect their careers while promising Swede David Lingmerth is travelling in the opposite direction on the career ladder as Swedish playing partner Mathias Gronberg. And I am indebted to 606v2 "NedB-H" for pointing out that Old Colwyn's Ben Briscoe is embarking on his Nationwide career - I wonder if he's the best golfer from North Wales since Errie Ball?
Good Luck Ben Briscoe!

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Thu 16 Feb - 19:48; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Phil, L.A., Riviera: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 4 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Phil, L.A., Riviera: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Fader Sun 19 Feb - 21:30

Am I the only one watching this thinking "this golf course is not all that inspiring". I may be wrong but many holes to me look the same and very bland.

That's aside some exciting viewing from the players especially Sergio if Phil isn't going to be the man to take it I'd love to see Sergio pick up the winners cheque as long as its not Keegan his pre-shot routine and "gobbing" everywhere is annoying

Fader

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Phil, L.A., Riviera: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 4 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Phil, L.A., Riviera: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 19 Feb - 21:32

The pros love it, Fader . . . .

Oh Sergio Sad

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Sun 19 Feb - 21:33

Aaagh... Thats him finished I think. Tried to hole the birdie putt.

Frustrating..

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 19 Feb - 21:39

Bugger... pitty as my Bill jinx just worked out!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Sun 19 Feb - 21:41

Greens look very difficult to read especially on the shorter ones 5ft etc... Sergio, Phil, Haas all missed them and happened all week.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 19 Feb - 21:45

I think we're jinxing the Sergio surge.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Sun 19 Feb - 21:48

Yup Kwini, although hes just holed a 13 ft for par.

Birdie at 9 (tough hole) but gives him a slight chance.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 19 Feb - 21:51

I'll go for the bold option... another eagle 2! angel

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 19 Feb - 21:51

angel thumbsup

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 19 Feb - 21:53

That's officially Luke's worst finish in 7 months, since the MC at RStG!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sun 19 Feb - 21:58

This is really turning out to be a great finishing round... brill from Sergio, Phil for me Smile

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 19 Feb - 22:06

If Serge hadn't missed those two tiddlers this would be v e r y interesting . . .

Still 200 yard eagle and two absolute bombs so he shouldn't complain too much.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Sun 19 Feb - 22:09

Yup think those shorter ones might hurt him. Though looked to hit 2 good putts so sure he will delighted with a 64 to finish. Its going to hurt my ew I had him on at the start of the week anyway. Sad

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sun 19 Feb - 22:22

DJ ? Just ?

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Sun 19 Feb - 22:31

Think the 2 shortish ones are going to hurt serg!

Edit: on thinking both Phil and Bradley have missed short ones last few.

His final round was fantastic probably be one short.

Last edited by Sand on Sun 19 Feb - 22:58; edited 1 time in total

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 19 Feb - 22:35

Let's not forget that Sergio is the clubhouse leader at the moment...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 19 Feb - 22:39

74-70-74-70 for Mr.Harrington.
Certainly not all bad and two promising efforts last week and this. Honda next?
Sergio up to 5th, and as pd says . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sun 19 Feb - 22:45

I think Mickelson will sneak this, a polar opposite from last weeks final round masterpiece... he is grinding this one out.

Pat Perez seems to have lived up to combustible reputation! I was going to have a wee bet on him tonight, glad I didn't!

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 19 Feb - 22:47

Sergio outscored his playing partner Sunghoon Kang 64 - 80.
Sergio up to 4th . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Sun 19 Feb - 22:50

The 2nd shot at 17 from Bill Haas could take this.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sun 19 Feb - 22:58

So many of Phil's putts are coming up short today... that isn't going to get it done.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 19 Feb - 22:59

Two super shots into 16 by Phil and Keegs, Haas in a tough spot on 18, but one thing is certain: Sergio won't be the litch much longer. Unfortunately.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sun 19 Feb - 23:02

Sergio put up an amazing number today. No one really coming close to his round. Who would have thought he could give the World #1 5 a side and still beat him soundly?

I like BH to win this Yank shootout.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Sun 19 Feb - 23:02

Only 4 rounds under 70 today and Sergio shoots 64.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 19 Feb - 23:11

Shotrock:
See Note 1). Smile thumbsup

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sun 19 Feb - 23:24

Phil's big chance is all but gone. He has had plenty of opportunities too.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sun 19 Feb - 23:29

Kwin - Good call. He's a flat out stud when his game is on. His game was on today!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Sun 19 Feb - 23:40

Really nothing to say...

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Sun 19 Feb - 23:41

REALLY? Wow...

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sun 19 Feb - 23:41

Aw hello, this is brill!!

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sun 19 Feb - 23:42

venice1 wrote:Really nothing to say...

Good choice of club, Phil... completely removed the chance of leaving another putt short! haha

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Sun 19 Feb - 23:43

How many times have the last two putts in regulation been do or die just to make the playoff?

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sun 19 Feb - 23:56

Looked to me like Phil purposely eased off on that drive... lookin to get the dig in first?

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Mon 20 Feb - 0:02

FFS, Phil... have an energy bar or something!

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Mon 20 Feb - 0:06

Great to have 10 as the 2nd playoff hole

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Mon 20 Feb - 0:21

That long butt by Haas in the sudden death playoff was an absolute beauty.

Nice finish this one.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 20 Feb - 0:26

Great tournament! I would have been happy if any of the three won.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Mon 20 Feb - 0:27

Great decision by Haas to chip out and just keep himself in it.

Won him the tournament really. Didnt see that putt coming to be fair!

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Mon 20 Feb - 0:31

Great win for haas, too bad the prize is a years supply of "head n shoulders".

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 20 Feb - 0:40

B_t_b: Smile
Hope you get into the Fantasy fing-a-ma-jig

Bill Haas not my absolute favourite, largely because of an absolutely nauseatingly vomit ing public service "mentor"ing thing he does with his Dad. Where do they find these guys?

Great win for him though. Phil's got lots of short missed putts to talk to Amy about.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Mon 20 Feb - 0:42

How annoying is Keegan Bradleys pre shot routine and his spitting nope

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Mon 20 Feb - 7:42

Sand,

Bradleys spitting was a disgrace. The US commentators were talking about it and making jokes about it. At least the sky boys were rightly criticizing the spitting.

Tiger also rightly gets criticized over here and got a fine last year (did a real bad one on a green), but Bradley actually makes it part of his pre-shot routine.

There was a 2 minute period last night when about 5 US players got caught spitting on the camera. All guilty except Phil.

Kwini, is spitting an accepted practice in US and accepted on a golf course. Perhpas a cultural thing but an absolute disgrace.

I can't wait till they come over here and get fined for disrepect to other players.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Mon 20 Feb - 9:22

There was a hell of a lot of spit flying around and it was disgusting to constantly see it and hear the americans on tv laugh it off. I can understand to occaisional need to do so we all have to now an again but discreetly please. Live on tv part of everyshot how can they see this as normal!

Good win in the end for Haas though turning into a top player from what they were saying last night.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Mon 20 Feb - 9:24

That was great entertainment last night. Fitting it finished on the all or bust 10th. I thought the course looked pretty good on tv? Seemed to get more of a perception of the elevation changes than I usualy do.

If only Sergio hadnt missed the short ones and Phil gave that putt on 17 an extra inch. Thrilling efforts by both. Anyone think Phil's short game, bar putter last week, isnt as sharp as it usually is? Instead, I'd put is form down to easying off a tad in the full swing (Kostis did mention he's shortened the backswing) and hitting more fairways and greens.

In the end I was just glad Bradley didnt win. Disgusting behaviour. Should be at least warned and at best fined. Who's he got in the Matchplay? Hope he gets smoked.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 20 Feb - 9:36

I was wondering whether Bradley was having trouble with his hydration and trying to force himself to spit. He certainly looked more in a trance than "in the zone".
Is "spitting" worse here than in Europe? Perhaps in golf, tho Sergio certainly got dragged over the coals for his aberration. Far worse in baseball where it's beyond disgusting.

Bradley vs Geoff Ogilvy in the MatchPlay . . . .

Terrific tournament though, wonderful climax. But don't remember the Riviera of past years being such a US Open-type grind. Brilliant by Sergio and, as Sand pointed out, only four other Sunday rounds under 70, led by Jacobson's 67 which is all the more remarkable as he's been out injured.

Should be mild, dry and sunny in the desert for the MatchPlay.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Mon 20 Feb - 9:53

Bit frustrated with Sergio not managing to pull it off but as he says he couldnt afford any bogeys and thats a really tough course to do that on.
Plus holed 60 ft, 40 ft putt and a 4 iron from 207 so cant complain. In the end, he just gave himself too much to do coming into final day.

Definately think the greens were very difficult to read especially the short ones as Bradley, DJ, Phil all missed ones yesterday.

Thrilling tournament tho and was quite glad Bradley didnt win for his conduct anyway. Its almost in Bradleys pre-shot routine.

To answer your question Kwini definately think Spitting is worse over in the states than in Europe.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 20 Feb - 10:01

"Cultural" or not (surely an oxymoron in the states anyway) but there is never any need for anyone ever to spit unless perhaps you get a fly in your mouth, footballers, tennis players, rugby players and especially golfers which isn't even aerobic have no reason to spit, and should be heavily punished.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 20 Feb - 10:07

After all that spitting I think Bradley should have been checked for dehydration after the round...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Mon 20 Feb - 10:09

kwinigolfer wrote:Bradley vs Geoff Ogilvy in the MatchPlay . . . .

Always interesting to hear what the pros think of each others games... and I'd love to hear what Geoff's thoughts are on Bradley's pre shot antics! I hope Geoff is in the mood.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Mon 20 Feb - 10:21

There was some spitting involved (as well as the pre-fight slapping) in the heavyweight boxing, so I hear - and not from Klitschko, who seems to be pretty much the only person from either camp to have retained their composure and dignity. But hey - he's a golfer, and we're all civilised and stuff, right?!? [or am I confusing the 2 brothers - I recall seeing some footage of one of them having a playing lesson with Morgan Pressel... an odd-looking couple to say the least]

As disgusting as the spitting/slapping was, mind you, I can't believe what Chisora and Haye did afterwards. Not a good advertisement for British sport, especially in this Olympic year.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next