The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which is the best FA Cup game you have seen?

+6
kwinigolfer
Clunge4life
sodhat
Beer
sirfredperry
spencerclarke
10 posters

Go down

Which is the best FA Cup game you have seen? Empty Which is the best FA Cup game you have seen?

Post by spencerclarke Mon 20 Feb 2012, 10:10 pm

Simple question. With the FA Cup being the best cup competition in the world, what you regard as the best game in it that you have seen?

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Which is the best FA Cup game you have seen? Empty Re: Which is the best FA Cup game you have seen?

Post by sirfredperry Wed 22 Feb 2012, 1:57 pm

Gonna be a bit greedy here and name two - both involving Spurs and with Tottenham winning one and losing one.
First was a 4th round replay at WHL in 1973 when Derby (then the League champs under Cloughie) were 3-1 down with only a few minutes to go. Roger Davies, a tall, lanky centre-forward, then got it back to 3-2, smashed an equaliser, then completed his hat-trick in extra-time before Kevin Hector made it 5-3 to Derby. Some match.
The second was the 1981 FA Cup final reply - Spurs v Manchester City which featured THAT goal by Ricky Villa. Few remember McKenzie's brilliant strike to put City ahead in the second half and also people forget what a great match it was after a fairly dreadful first game.
Wonder if - now somewhat elderly - Derby or Man City fans were at either of those matches?

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Which is the best FA Cup game you have seen? Empty Re: Which is the best FA Cup game you have seen?

Post by Beer Wed 22 Feb 2012, 2:39 pm

Barnsley v Chelsea a few years ago was brilliant.

Me and my mates were stood in front of the TV for the entire duration cheering on Barnsley.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 22 Feb 2012, 2:49 pm

Manchester United 0-1 West Ham (2001)
West Ham 3-3 Liverpool (2006)

Are two involving my own club that stick in the memory for me, as a neutral I remember the first final I watched live being Chelsea beating Boro 2-0...

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Clunge4life Wed 22 Feb 2012, 3:20 pm

Surely one of the greatest FA Cup games (and my own WORST game as a Spurs fan) was the Spurs 3-4 Man City 4th Round tie a few years back

Spurs 3 nil up at half time with City down to 10 men.......and they manage to lose 4 bloody 3!!!

Clunge4life

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 22 Feb 2012, 4:29 pm

Best atmosphere was Replay Wimbledon vs Leeds in 1975 at Selhurst Park with 40,000 of my best friends.

sirfred,
Watched Roger Davies, David Nish and Alan Hudson in NASL indoor league in Dallas in 1981!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 23 Feb 2012, 12:04 pm

Kwinigolfer. Leeds v Wimbledon. Wasn't that the Dickie Guy heroics match/matches?
I wasn't there, but you still have to go some to beat the raw excitement and sheer spontaneity of the mud-strewn Ronnie Radford rocket goal and subsequent pitch invasion in the 1972 Hereford v Newcastle match.
All the thrill of the FA Cup encapsulated in one magic moment

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 23 Feb 2012, 1:50 pm

I was only 9 at the time and SKY was in it's infancy but I remember me my dad and my Granda all watching the Everton Liverpool 4 each game, absolutely epic! Think it was 1991, infact I would have been 8

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Roberto Mankini Thu 15 Mar 2012, 9:52 am

Southampton/Tranmere 2001. Stunning comeback.
Middlesborough/Chesterfield 1997. I think David Ellerey screw Chesterfield when they were 2 up when a goal was not given when the ball crossed the line.
Man City/Spurs 2004. Unbelievable comeback.

As a Gooner us beating Sheff Weds in 1993 and beating Chelsea in 2002 are my favs.

Pains me to say our defeat to Spurs in 1991 was great seeing Gazza at his best and Lineker showing why at the time he was the best finisher in the game.

Roberto Mankini

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Thu 15 Mar 2012, 1:06 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Best atmosphere was Replay Wimbledon vs Leeds in 1975 at Selhurst Park with 40,000 of my best friends.

My dad was at that game. He still goes on about Dickie Guy's heroics now!!

Best FA Cup game I have seen was the 1988 final when my beloved beat the mighty (and very likeable) Liverpool. Bit biased I know but hey!
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 15 Mar 2012, 1:13 pm

Just caught back up with this thread!

Yup, Dickie Guy and the rest of 'em.

sirfredperry:
I think the Hereford / Newcastle game was one of John Motson's very first broadcasts. Unlike Ronnie Radford, he never looked back . . . . !

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sat 24 Mar 2012, 5:54 pm

Just caught up as well

I would say Hibs v Rangers Circa 1966. [well Kwinni you did not specify which FA.]
Hibs scored twice in the first couple of minutes and many of The Rankers fans were late into the ground due to a delayed train.
Their faces were a wonder to behold and nearly cost my friend a sore face.

I once played in a 5 a side tournament with Dickie Guy, our captain was Alan Mullery. We won !

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 03 Apr 2012, 4:06 pm

As Spurs prepare for another Wembley visit, I recall the 87 FA Cup final when Tottenham were beaten 3-2 by Coventry. It was one of the best-ever finals, with Spurs playing a lot better in defeat than they played to win some Wembley finals. Having seen Tottenham win SEVEN Wembley finals - and lose some as well - the Coventry game was the best I witnessed.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down