The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tim Swinson signs for Glasgow (I had no idea he was Scots qualified either)

+4
Geordie
Scot Abroad
funnyExiledScot
nickj
8 posters

Go down

Tim Swinson signs for Glasgow (I had no idea he was Scots qualified either) Empty Tim Swinson signs for Glasgow (I had no idea he was Scots qualified either)

Post by nickj Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:49 pm

What do Newcastle fans think? Is he a good signing for Glasgow?

Could he have a wee word with his pal Grant Shiells and see if he fancies going north too?

http://sport.stv.tv/rugby/298318-warriors-sign-newcastle-falcons-lock-tim-swinson/

nickj

Back to top Go down

Tim Swinson signs for Glasgow (I had no idea he was Scots qualified either) Empty Re: Tim Swinson signs for Glasgow (I had no idea he was Scots qualified either)

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:52 pm

I knew he was Scots qualified - I suggested a while back that he'd be an excellent signing for Edinburgh. Now that Gray is leaving I can see why Glasgow went for him. He's a high quality player and will fit in very nicely with Kellock and Ryder. A really great signing.

I'd prefer Shiells to go to Edinburgh personally, to give Chunk some back-up and ultimately replace him, for Edinburgh and potentially Scotland as well.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Tim Swinson signs for Glasgow (I had no idea he was Scots qualified either) Empty Re: Tim Swinson signs for Glasgow (I had no idea he was Scots qualified either)

Post by Scot Abroad Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:51 pm

He's only 6'4" apparently, a bit short for an international lock. That's 2 inches shorter than Harley! Otherwise, I've heard good things.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:20 am

He's a tough competitor Scot Abroad.
Played quite alot of rugby for us at No.6

He's a quality signing...trust me. Sad to see him leaving.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:18 am

He'd be better paired with Kellock than Ryder or Verbackel, and it would be handy if Harley were at 6. That would be the ideal combination. His work rate will fit in very nicely at Warriors.

Harley must not be shifted to lock. He won't become an international lock, but he has every chance of being an international blindside.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:08 pm

He was one of the players that I was hoping would stay on and help guide us back through promotion.

Not sure he is international quality, but he won't let anyone down. I echo GF setiments, really sad to see him go.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:32 pm

Are Glassgow fans the most optimistic about the following season than ever before.

Sad to lose Grey and prob one of the B's, but overall the sqad looks stronger than it has done in years, add in a new home and things are looking up.

What are your hopes for next year, top 4 on pro 12?, Hcup Qfinal?, both, either? to finish above Edinburgh?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:37 pm

HC QF and Rabo playoff should be the target.

The return of DTH will be a key factor as should the continuing development of Hogg at fullback and the return of the Lamonts on the wings. Nice mixture of pace and power. If Weir, Jackson and Nathan can form a good 10/12 partnership then Glasgow should be better next season than this (and it's been a very decent season for Glasgow this year so far).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:25 pm

Kingshu wrote:Are Glassgow fans the most optimistic about the following season than ever before.

Sad to lose Grey and prob one of the B's, but overall the sqad looks stronger than it has done in years, add in a new home and things are looking up.

What are your hopes for next year, top 4 on pro 12?, Hcup Qfinal?, both, either? to finish above Edinburgh?

Its a funny one, we really have made some good signings, but we have lost Richie and almost certainly Barclay. They two are our best two forwards, so the incoming players will have big boots to fill. That said for one our outgoing internationals are being replaced by experienced players who can make an impact from day one. Another advantage is that they are available all season.

Beattie looks like he is off, he has had so few decent performances for us in the past two years that he will not be missed.

Backs unit has been said will be greatly improved by the return of DTH and with Sean Lamont joining. We could still do with a decent 13, I know DTH can play there but he is so affective for us on the wing, I would to keep him there. We really could do with bringing another Scrum Half in. Gregor looks like staying with the 7s and that leaves Cusiter and Pygros. Cus is going to miss a load of games and I really don't rate Pygros. Having him as second choice and an Academy player as backup leaves us with a lack of depth at the position.

If we are to make the leap to the next level (HC), I still think we need more quailty in the backs and could do with another quality backrow. I think the forwards will be easy enough to find, but I am not sure what scope Sean has to bring in a centre from overseas. With Scotland really struggling at 12 and 13, I can't see the SRU giving the green light to another on non Scot qualified player coming in to take a regular starting spot.

Pat McArthur and Chris Fusaro are like new players this season, so hopefully a couple of our younger backs can make the same leap over the Summer.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:47 pm

It's a real shame Glasgow couldn't tempt young Bennett back into the fray, I think he'd be the missing piece of the puzzle.

I guess Murchie will continue to be given a chance, although I still don't see much quality in him.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:50 pm

Either Murchie or Dunbar need to step up - it's now or never, lads

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:31 pm

I've always seen potential in Dunbar but he seems to have stalled recently. As you say, hopefully both can emulate Stuart Hogg next season (and by that Lineen I don't mean playing Murchie at 15 and moving Hogg to the wing!).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down