The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saracens new contracts

+7
George Carlin
DaveM
formerly known as Sam
Cardiff Dave
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Knackeredknees
beshocked
11 posters

Go down

Saracens new contracts Empty Saracens new contracts

Post by beshocked Thu 23 Feb - 15:19

Just going to list Saracens new contracts to tell you who has re-signed. 18 announcements in 3 days.

Brits
Joubert
Stevens
Gill
Taylor
Stanley
Spencer
George
Botha
Farrell
Sherriff
Brown
Wyles
Short
Wray
Kruis
Nieto
Du Plessis

Obviously very pleased.

The ones I am unsure of are Wigglesworth and Strettle.

Stringer is going to Newcastle on short term loan in early march.

It now looks likely Strettle is leaving.

Last edited by beshocked on Mon 27 Feb - 13:36; edited 1 time in total

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Saracens new contracts Empty Re: Saracens new contracts

Post by Knackeredknees Thu 23 Feb - 15:31

It's so good that we're keeping everyone there, shows that it's a club they want to stay at as we're building for a future at the top for a long time

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 23 Feb - 15:35

Yep amazing how they are paying these guys as full interntaionals now and staying with the salary cap, well dome to the board for working out deals without bending the rules *cough cough*

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 23 Feb - 15:39

PSW all about the creative accountants.

You should get some down at Leicester. OK

True knackeredknees.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 23 Feb - 16:02

Rhys Gill not returning to Cardiff then.
At the present time he would've been mad to.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 23 Feb - 16:02

We were getting away with giving players 'expenses' in the amatuer days. These days reputation and facilities do most the work for us. Even should we find a way around the cap there's a very finite budget at Tigers as there's no sugar daddy so we could probably only afford to spend up to the new cap that's coming in for next year anyway, especially with the new stand, changing rooms and medical facility going in this summer with the car park and hotel behind it.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Thu 23 Feb - 16:39

Stanley looked great before his injury.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 27 Feb - 10:17

Beshocked - Kelly Brown and Chris Wyles have also extended for a couple of years: http://www.saracens.com/news/view.php?Id=6858

Good pieces of business, both.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 27 Feb - 13:34

True George Carlin.I need to update this.

P.S Strettle hasn't signed a new contract so is probably leaving. Wigglesworth might too.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 27 Feb - 13:41

Suprising that they'd get rid of Wigglesworth, especially now Hodgson is on board. Maybe they are waiting for him to get back from injury before they discuss financials.

Strettle does tend to chase the big contracts. He did when he went to Sarries and if he is now then Sarries may decide that Short, Wyles and Ashton are options enough. Saints might take him as long as his wages aren't too outlandish.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 27 Feb - 14:06

Sam not sure they want to get rid of Wigglesworth. Just waiting on his injury as you say. I don't know how long Wigglesworth's contract is. I would expect him to stay.

Strettle as an England winger is well within his rights to demand a pretty hefty wage. Would Leicester look at him if the Benjamin deal falls through?

I can see a lot of clubs being interested. Maybe a return to Quins is in order.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 27 Feb - 14:28

I cannot see Tigers signing him. It just isn't value for money. Benjamin is a real flyer (an option we need) and would be fairly cheap. If we do not land a player like him, then I would hope they look at giving some of the Academy flyers a few chances.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Mon 27 Feb - 14:50

I'd have him at Bath, but if he came he would probably ask for loads, so best sticking off with Woodburn, who is available all year, young and looking like a real talent.

I know it's a bit controverisal, but maybe Exeter would have a punt of Wiggy or Strettle?

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 27 Feb - 14:55

Strettle made a couple of big mistakes on Saturday....decision making is not one of his strong points.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 27 Feb - 15:02

Reports in the local Leicestershire media are that the Benjamin and the Thompstone deals are done and dusted with Tigers looking to add a cheap full back option for next year. Which is likely to be either Agulla on a reduced contract (due to the 4Ns) or Thomas from the Dragons. Looks like Lewington will play more of a role next season as well following his very nice score against Quins in the LV Cup.

Strettle was in talks with Tigers before signing for Sarries, apparently the board weren't impressed by his agent who was hawking his client about trying to get the biggest chunk of cash possible. That's not really the Tigers way, especially when it comes to wingers.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 27 Feb - 15:06

Two good wingers there Sam....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 27 Feb - 15:19

Well we need them Geordie. Rumours are that Hamilton may be going with Agulla and Alesana. That's a lot of fire power disappearing from the wings with Lee Robinson already released as well. Would leave us with just Murphy, Tait (when fit), Lewington, Morris and Smith to cover. Those two will give us some much needed pace but still offer enough physical presence so that Flood can use his much loved inside ball option.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Mon 27 Feb - 17:44

formerly known as Sam wrote:Strettle does tend to chase the big contracts. Saints might take him as long as his wages aren't too outlandish.
To be honest as a Saints fan I hope not. He wouldn't be cheap and I would sooner the bigger money be spent on a decent 12 and number 8 to replace Wilson. Plus although I do feel we need another winger I would prefer a larger stronger type option as we already have plenty of smaller flyer types such as Elliott, Diggin, Cato (who is like Strettle mkII in his playing style anyway) and Artemyev. Armstrong can play there but is more of a center.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Mon 27 Feb - 17:48

Understandably Saracens fans must be chuffed that they have managed to resign just about all of their big name players for next season (well those who were out of contract anyway). Can imagine players such as Britts, Joubert, Brown and maybe even Gill could have earned bigger deals by playing in France.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 28 Feb - 9:36

B91212 Saints certainly do need to prioritise centre, flanker, lock and 8 before looking for another winger. There's no 'big' winger at Saints at the minute and that seems to work with the centres smashing the holes and the wingers supporting on the shoulder.

I'd presume the big name Sarries players thought there was more to do in their careers than chase a big pay day. Sarries have cash and are a very ambitious club so, although, those players might not be on the biggest wages they won't be poor either and there's a good chance Sarries will get more silverware over the next couple of years.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Tue 28 Feb - 16:29

formerly known as Sam wrote:B91212 Saints certainly do need to prioritise centre, flanker, lock and 8 before looking for another winger. There's no 'big' winger at Saints at the minute and that seems to work with the centres smashing the holes and the wingers supporting on the shoulder.

I'd presume the big name Sarries players thought there was more to do in their careers than chase a big pay day. Sarries have cash and are a very ambitious club so, although, those players might not be on the biggest wages they won't be poor either and there's a good chance Sarries will get more silverware over the next couple of years.
I agree about the smaller wingers fitting with our current game plan but it doesn't always work, Sailosi Tagicakibau ran through our wingers more than once at the weekend. I'm not advocating 2 monsters on the wing but having a different option would be nice as long as they didn't break the bank. I know people will shot me down over this comment with hair pulling etc etc but Ashton actually tended to defend okay against the big guys on the whole.

There is concern on the Saints forum that we are being left behind in signings by leaving it too late plus potential signings wanted to make sure that JM and DW would be there next season and not with England before committing. Unless something changes it seems the Narraway deal has fallen through and again on the forum some are saying that Saints will now concentrate on strengthening the backrow with no big names as such and moving Dowson over to 8 and allowing Clark to nail down the 6 shirt (with Wood at 7). Again not sure myself, Wilson going is a big loss but he's not the biggest carrier so it could work depending on who plays in the front five. Thankfully with the props we have then forwards ball carrying isn't always an issue. Happy with the current second rows and they are all signed on for next year. The only reason I would stregthen this area is if Lawes continues to play at 6 on a semi regular basis (I still can't make my mind up if he is a better 4 or 6). An inside center is the absolute priority - Jonathon Davies would be great but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Its actually refreshing that some players want to stay at Saracens and win things as opposed to just chasing the $$. I know Saracens pay well and have some magical accounting but still the French and Japanese clubs can easily outspend them.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 28 Feb - 16:55

The French and Japanese clubs can comfortably outspend everybody.

I thought Saints would in the market for a lock what with Eustace retiring and Lawes sometimes filling in on the backrow and sometimes off with England. Only leaves you Day, Sorenson and the American chappy (why's memory so bad).

Never understood why you were keen on Narraway he's not really gritty enough to fit in with the rest of your backrow. Ben Morgan would actually be a better fit or even Jordan Crane (but keep your hands off!). Can understand 12 being a priority but would you blow your marquee signing on that or save the big deal for a top class backrower?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 28 Feb - 16:59

Agree with most of what you are saying B91212. Not quite on Cato being better than Strettle though!

One big problem with French clubs is that there's a lower chance you'll be involved in the HC. 14 teams vying for 6 places is harder than 12 vying for 6 places. Recently high profile French clubs like Perpignan,Toulon and Stade Francais have missed out.

Of course the Rabo have 10 guaranteed spots.

The Irish have their restrictions and the Welsh don't have the money.

Saints are losing Tonks to Edinburgh. Thoughts on that?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Tue 28 Feb - 17:21

formerly known as Sam wrote:The French and Japanese clubs can comfortably outspend everybody.

I thought Saints would in the market for a lock what with Eustace retiring and Lawes sometimes filling in on the backrow and sometimes off with England. Only leaves you Day, Sorenson and the American chappy (why's memory so bad).

Never understood why you were keen on Narraway he's not really gritty enough to fit in with the rest of your backrow. Ben Morgan would actually be a better fit or even Jordan Crane (but keep your hands off!). Can understand 12 being a priority but would you blow your marquee signing on that or save the big deal for a top class backrower?
Manoa! Has had a good first year and surprised nobody had signed him before us. Reminds me a bit of Slater when he first played for the Tigers - looked to have potential but penalty prone. He's improved that area of his game as the season has gone on. Eustace only ever played 3 first team games due to injury so I can't see us replacing him with another experienced player. James Craig is coming on nicely and is another who can play lock or backrow (we seem to have a squad of players equally at home at lock or flanker - Lawes, Manoa & Craig. Callum Clark has also played lock in the past).

Agree Narraway was a strange player to be chasing considering our style of play but don't think Morgan is an option unfortuantly, think he will either stay at the Scarlets or be move to the Cherries. Would happily take Crane off your hands - you have done okay without him this year and really you don't need him now Thomas the Tank has re-signed. Would be a nice gesture - thanks!

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Tue 28 Feb - 17:37

beshocked wrote:Agree with most of what you are saying B91212. Not quite on Cato being better than Strettle though!

One big problem with French clubs is that there's a lower chance you'll be involved in the HC. 14 teams vying for 6 places is harder than 12 vying for 6 places. Recently high profile French clubs like Perpignan,Toulon and Stade Francais have missed out.

Of course the Rabo have 10 guaranteed spots.

The Irish have their restrictions and the Welsh don't have the money.

Saints are losing Tonks to Edinburgh. Thoughts on that?
I only said Cato really reminds me of Strettle in his playing style! He's not a good as Strettle and to be honest I not sure he ever will be. Shame because he can be a deadly finisher but as proved on the weekend his switches off easily and is injury prone. When playing he needs to come in field and look for work more, he reminds me of a rugby league winger staying out on the touchline.

To be honest it was the first I knew about Tonks moving. Not surprised though, he's never really kicked on and the writing was on the wall when Pisi was signed before this season as the backup 15 (altghough he's proving to be a more than decent 13!). Shows how far Tonks has dropped from first team reckoning when Diggin, who hadn't played a competitive game at full back for over 5 years has replaced Foden during the 6N. Saints actually played Tonks once at 12 in the LV earlier this season so it will interesting to see when Edinburgh play him. Due to the Saints style of play he would never have made inside center in the first team. Only seen him play a few times but always looked a skillful player with ball in hand and also has a huge left boot.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down