The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

farrell and tuilagi

+17
andy powells minder
Cymroglan
HammerofThunor
Seagultaf
Biltong
Morgannwg
ChequeredJersey
wales606
Cowshot
mentalrhino
Shifty
offload
Rory_Gallagher
maverickmak
flankertye
TJ1
adambarney
21 posters

Go down

farrell and tuilagi Empty farrell and tuilagi

Post by adambarney Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:36 pm

everyone on about how good priestland is but what about farrell at 20 years old in that pressure to play like that was oustanding.plus tuilagi power is incredible pound for pound more powerful then north.

adambarney

Back to top Go down

farrell and tuilagi Empty Re: farrell and tuilagi

Post by TJ1 Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Farrel played well, Preistland had a mare

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:39 pm

They both played amazingly well. Good to see Tuilagi back, I thought it was all hype but he really does make the backline click.
Barritt was outstanding as well.

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by maverickmak Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:40 pm

He will break holes in any defence. A brilliant weapon to have. Looks for the offload too. I think he will be a fixture for England for a long, long time. If he doesn't create space for himself, he will make it for others.

maverickmak

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:41 pm

Pound for pound, Tuilagi is still bigger than North though. I thought Tuilagi did exactly what everyone is praising North for, and with less space to work with. North was praised for running through D'Arcy and McFadden, well Tuilagi was knocking off Roberts and Davies! Huge game from him, only negative was his fitness, which is understandable.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:43 pm

Farrell was good but he still has a lot to learn. Very good debut at 10 though.

Priestland hasn't become a bad player with one poor performance. He didn't play well but he still has a lot to learn too.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by adambarney Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:46 pm

yeah i agree priestland is a very good player but it first time he was under pressure.the lions team is going to be incredible if every one fit.

adambarney

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:47 pm

Priestland is overrated.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:47 pm

Look at Tuilagi when he made his debut against Wales before the World Cup and have a look at him now 8 months later, the amount of muscle the guy has put on is incredible. The guy was immense today in attack, he's the closest thing I have seen to Va'aiga Lealuga Tuigamala since he retired. It's a pity England don;t have a faster more mobile back row to take advantage of the ground he takes.

Lydiate, Warburton and Faletau are very, very fast and when Davies, North and Roberts punch holes in defense the back row are always there right away to secure the ball, and I think England need a Neil Back type player as a link man.

Farrell is a very talented player, I think he's got a big future in the England team though I think he needs to be inside center for a few years because as well as a young kid can play today, he can be terrible tomorrow, young players are in consistent as a rule, especially ones who are in the fly half role.
Being honest as his "daddy" is a coach if he plays badly he will have people saying "he's only in because his dad is a coach". So I think he would probably be better playing at inside center outside someone more experienced for the next few seasons, so England do not put too much pressure on him to early.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:47 pm

farrell did play very well, and its brilliant to see Tuliagi back.

Back to top Go down

Post by mentalrhino Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:48 pm

Farrell will be immense, still very new to the international stage. Sadly Priestland played like a total beginner again, was poor against Ireland as well, best thing he did for us today was getting sin binned, couldn't cause any trouble from the side lines.

mentalrhino

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:50 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Priestland is overrated.

He isn't over rated you can look back to any of his previous Wales games to see he is talented, but he was not a good player today to be honest. Lets remember that was only his 13th cap as well, he is still a new kid on the block and is still learning really. He only broke into the Wales team just before the World Cup so you can forgive him 1 dodgy game.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by adambarney Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:51 pm

imagine this lions backline
phillips
farrell
davies
tuilagi
north
ashton( not sure though)
kearney

adambarney

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:52 pm

AlynDavies wrote:

He isn't over rated you can look back to any of his previous Wales games to see he is talented, but he was not a good player today to be honest. Lets remember that was only his 13th cap as well, he is still a new kid on the block and is still learning really. He only broke into the Wales team just before the World Cup so you can forgive him 1 dodgy game.

I have never rated him that highly though. I am not basing it on one game. Many people have been calling for him to be the lions out half etc. I feel he is very overrated and has to do a whole lot more to prove himself. As you say, he is the new kid on the block and has plenty of time to do so. This is in my opinion, of course.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:03 pm

Don't think Tuilagi was quite match fit. He went missing in the second half quite a bit.

But he's the real deal. O yes! Smile

Delighted - really delighted by Farrell's performance at fly half. I was worried, not having seen anything of him before and Sarries do not encourage belief in attack. Also the real deal. Now please please please let the injury not be serious. Sad

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:16 pm

adambarney wrote:imagine this lions backline
phillips
farrell
davies
tuilagi
north
ashton( not sure though)
kearney

Ashton has done nothing at all recently, I really dont see what he brings to the england team when they are playing teams ranking near to/higher than them. He can score tries when England play expansively against weak opposition, but he just doesnt look interested at all at the moment.

Bowe is a far better 14, as he showed today 3 tries in 2 games.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:16 pm

Tuilagi was good as we thought he would be. Farrell impressed me at 10. If we can get a 7, this team looks a lot more secure, Chris Robshaw is a good flanker and played better in the rucks this week but when playing against the likes of Warbs, we need an openside
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:39 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
AlynDavies wrote:

I have never rated him that highly though. I am not basing it on one game. Many people have been calling for him to be the lions out half etc. I feel he is very overrated and has to do a whole lot more to prove himself. As you say, he is the new kid on the block and has plenty of time to do so. This is in my opinion, of course.

But he will be a Lions 10 though. As will Sexton, and perhaps if Farrell keeps on playing that well at outside half... Then we have three good flyhalves.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:42 pm

wales606 wrote:
adambarney wrote:imagine this lions backline
phillips
farrell
davies
tuilagi
north
ashton( not sure though)
kearney

Ashton has done nothing at all recently, I really dont see what he brings to the england team when they are playing teams ranking near to/higher than them. He can score tries when England play expansively against weak opposition, but he just doesnt look interested at all at the moment.

Bowe is a far better 14, as he showed today 3 tries in 2 games.

The competition for Fullback between Foden, Hogg, Halfpenny, Byrne (maybe) Kearney etc will be fantastic. Plus hopefully we can get the lies of May and Brown involved properly internationally
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:43 pm

Farrel played good rugby today, in my opinion after only seeing him once he could be the best flyhalf of the home nations.

Tuilagi may be powerful, but north can offload which I haven't seen tuilagi do.

He also lacks pace, not that he is slow, but he ain't that fast either.

Priestland in my opinion doesn't kick consistently well to goal.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:45 pm

Was Tuilagi that good or was Roberts injured and making him look good? Tuilagi was very quiet in the second half with Scott Williams marking him!

Far better performance from England today and Wales won a game they probably should have lost, how things have changed.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:17 pm

Anyone see Tuilagi bump off Preistland? Oh it was magical

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:18 pm

biltongbek wrote:Farrel played good rugby today, in my opinion after only seeing him once he could be the best flyhalf of the home nations.

Tuilagi may be powerful, but north can offload which I haven't seen tuilagi do.

He also lacks pace, not that he is slow, but he ain't that fast either.

Priestland in my opinion doesn't kick consistently well to goal.

North has support runners to offload to. Tuilagi doesn't (yet)

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:23 pm

Hammer that may be true, North however try to run around tacklers and only go into them when he has no choice, hence his goal is maintaining momentum.

Tuilagi likes the abbrasive stuff too much, he reminds me of Jean de Villiers
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:27 pm

biltongbek wrote:Hammer that may be true, North however try to run around tacklers and only go into them when he has no choice, hence his goal is maintaining momentum.

Was thinking the same thing myself today, If Tuilagi went for gaps or offloaded rather than look for contact he would be a far more dangerous player.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:31 pm

Cymroglan wrote:
biltongbek wrote:Hammer that may be true, North however try to run around tacklers and only go into them when he has no choice, hence his goal is maintaining momentum.

Was thinking the same thing myself today, If Tuilagi went for gaps or offloaded rather than look for contact he would be a far more dangerous player.

Exactly.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by andy powells minder Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:32 pm

Cymroglan wrote:

He actually reminds me of Mike Phillips a few seasons ago, not aware enough of whats goin on, still trying to be Master of the Universe, but at the same time lacking a bit of support I feel.

andy powells minder

Back to top Go down

Post by Manu's Boxing Coach Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:33 pm

Dont understand how you can fault Tuilagi's performance today he was outstanding......

Manu's Boxing Coach

Back to top Go down

Post by andy powells minder Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:35 pm

Manu's Boxing Coach wrote:Dont understand how you can fault Tuilagi's performance today he was outstanding......

Just feel that had you had a 7, then the inroads he made may have come to more, thats all thumbsup

andy powells minder

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:36 pm

Manu, it is not about criticisng him, I mention the exact same thing about Jean de Villiers, strong defender, strong ball carrier, poor distributor.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:36 pm

andy powells minder wrote:
Manu's Boxing Coach wrote:Dont understand how you can fault Tuilagi's performance today he was outstanding......

Just feel that had you had a 7, then the inroads he made may have come to more, thats all thumbsup

Pretty much undeniable, this
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:37 pm

Both Farrel and Tualagi had a great game, Farrel goal kicking in the enviroment at Twickenham is fantastic.. Tualagi his power runs was the difference this week than the last 2 weeks.

England got some great go forward ball from Farrel and showed Rys Priestland what it is all about. Hope Farrel's injury is not to bad, what with him going off, and Charlie Hodgson being injured.

Do England have another 10 in the EPS appart from Toby Flood? If not who would SL bring in as cover for the 10 shirt? Ryan Lamb? maybe, or would England be better picking Steven Myler?

Who will the bench 10 be?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:39 pm

biltongbek wrote:
Cymroglan wrote:

Exactly.

just back from broken eye socket and cheekbone. Not entirely (imo) match fit. Has not been on the pitch with the players inside or outside him before, and not there at the start of the build up.

I think your criticisms are correct, but there are several possible reasons. Support runners not quite knowing what to expect being first among them. He did go missing for much of the second half...

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:39 pm

I think he said the injury was cramp in both legs?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by andy powells minder Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:41 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:

The age old queston, 2 6.5's, or a 6&7, still not convinced about right and left myself, I dont think england have really had a 7 since Back, and are still searching for one, just my opimion of course.

andy powells minder

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:43 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:

The age old queston, 2 6.5's, or a 6&7, still not convinced about right and left myself, I dont think england have really had a 7 since Back, and are still searching for one, just my opimion of course.

I'd take just more of a 7. But we've got time to work on it. If we don't play a true openside though, it means we are going to have to change our approach in support etc
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:43 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:

England got some great go forward ball from Farrel and showed Rys Priestland what it is all about. Hope Farrel's injury is not to bad, what with him going off, and Charlie Hodgson being injured.

Where as Wales showed England what is it all about by WINNING the test match.

Smile
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Manu's Boxing Coach Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:44 pm

biltongbek wrote:Manu, it is not about criticisng him, I mention the exact same thing about Jean de Villiers, strong defender, strong ball carrier, poor distributor.

He may not be the best distributor but some criticism of him not running for gaps are ludicrous, he may be strong but he isnt so strong that he runs head on at Davies and Roberts and consistently gets over the gain line its because he runs at space, combined with his power.

Manu's Boxing Coach

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:45 pm

Morgannwg wrote:

Smile

To be fair we got a lot of flak for the whole win is more important than quality of the performance argument on here a couple of weeks ago!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:50 pm

Manu's Boxing Coach wrote:
biltongbek wrote:Manu, it is not about criticisng him, I mention the exact same thing about Jean de Villiers, strong defender, strong ball carrier, poor distributor.

He may not be the best distributor but some criticism of him not running for gaps are ludicrous, he may be strong but he isnt so strong that he runs head on at Davies and Roberts and consistently gets over the gain line its because he runs at space, combined with his power.

I don't deny that at all, but if he could work on his distribution coupled with drawing 2 or 3 tacklers at the same time, he would be extremely effective.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:57 pm

Oh, phew. England no 10's seriously crocking themselves has not helped matters over the last few years. (Thinks: Flood's Achilles'...)

Morgannwg: Yep. That was the FACT Wales need to take out of this game: they WON. They got over the line when it mattered. It's what successive Welsh sides haven't done and this lot did.

Now go and kick a few Aussie bottoms! Wales

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:58 pm

Cowshot wrote:

Oh, phew. England no 10's seriously crocking themselves has not helped matters over the last few years. (Thinks: Flood's Achilles'...)

Morgannwg: Yep. That was the FACT Wales need to take out of this game: they WON. They got over the line when it mattered. It's what successive Welsh sides haven't done and this lot did.

Now go and kick a few Aussie bottoms! Wales

Please beat France first
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:58 pm

Morgannwg wrote:

Smile

Please correct me if i am wrong here, but was'nt you quoting that Wales would win by 30 odd points earlier in the week? Doh

Untill that try by Wales, up and untill that very point neither on the 2 teams looked any near scoring a try.
And as it was said in the week that Wales was the better team, playing the better rugby., a more settled side than England, and has most of the players that played for Wales played the in the Rugby World Cup, it was not very convincing win. IMHO.

But like you say a win is a win, and Wales did win today. But hardly convincing by them was it? Headscratch

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:08 pm

Morgannwg wrote:

Smile

Please correct me if i am wrong here, but was'nt you quoting that Wales would win by 30 odd points earlier in the week? Doh

Untill that try by Wales, up and untill that very point neither on the 2 teams looked any near scoring a try.
And as it was said in the week that Wales was the better team, playing the better rugby., a more settled side than England, and has most of the players that played for Wales played the in the Rugby World Cup, it was not very convincing win. IMHO.

But like you say a win is a win, and Wales did win today. But hardly convincing by them was it? Headscratch

Well here I am correcting you, because no, it wasn't me saying that Wales would win by 30 odd points. laughing

A win is a win. Thanks. Triple crown and three from three. Now you don't need to say much more.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:08 pm

Tuilagi looked great in the first half but he went very quiet when Scott Williams came on. Did Roberts pick up an injury early in the game, he was certainly out of sorts today. But a win is a win!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:10 pm

Halfpenny was hurt at the end, for the final tackle, I hope he's okay.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by maverickmak Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:09 pm

flankertye wrote:Anyone see Tuilagi bump off Preistland? Oh it was magical

Twice.

maverickmak

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:38 am

Do England have another 10 in the EPS appart from Toby Flood? If not who would SL bring in as cover for the 10 shirt? Ryan Lamb? maybe, or would England be better picking Steven Myler?

Who will the bench 10 be?

Just watch the highlights of Burns against Bath/Quins and I think we have a winner.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:06 pm

Comparing Tuilagi with North is not a comparison that can be justified.

Tuilagi plays in the congested midfield where there are few gaps, he runs just off the centre of the tackler and goes through the tackle. He may not have a good step, but he has sufficient pace over a short distance to get around the outside of his opponent.

North on the wing has more space and time to make his step at pace. Also wingers these days (Wales apart) tend to be smaller than centres and his size becomes a big advantage when he is moving quickly. Manu has about three paces to build up speed before the tackle.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down