The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Poulter gets the hump!

4 posters

Go down

Poulter gets the hump! Empty Poulter gets the hump!

Post by navyblueshorts Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:12 pm

"Schoolboy error playing," he fumed on Twitter. "Apparently the architect wanted to make a statement with the greens. He did that all right. Simply the worst greens I have ever seen and I'm not joking. They are embarrassing." (from BBC web site).

Now, I can't make my mind up about IJP. Like his 'can do' attitude re. his golf. Not sure about his 'fancy pants' image. Is it just sour grapes following a bad round? So what if they're sloped, sounds like MAJ putted better with a wedge that you did with your putter Ian; you should be :oops:.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Poulter gets the hump! Empty Re: Poulter gets the hump!

Post by McLaren Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:19 pm

It staggers belief that a player like poulter has such little understanding of golf course architecture. He must have played some of the best classic designs in the world that we could only dream of playing. I think the course this week looks to be one of the best the European tour will visit all year. The European tour visits some really very terribly dull tracks.

You can see the players really having to think about the shots into the greens. How often do you see pro players hitting to different parts of the greens because alternate strategies are offered due to interesting green complexes.

The funny thing is Poulter may in fact just be trying to have a dig at his best mate, and "architect" of the course Colin Montgomery. What he does not realise is that Monty would probably need a map to find the first tee. The actual architect of the course is Robin Hiseman. In tough times for the world of new golf course construction maybe poulter aught to think more carefully before bashing the design of a firm doing good things design wise. It actually staggers belief that he would be so naive as to think Monty actually designed the course.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:24 pm

They just said on Sky Sports that the greens are running at something like 9.6 on the stimp which is about as slow as I've ever heard for a pro tournament. Watching this morning, they also seem very "wooly"

To be fair to Poults, he did follow up his twitter rant with further tweets acknowledging that "it was the same for everyone" and generally playing down his initial rant.

Like you NBS I don't like to see anyone appearing to be using sour grapes, but he has followed up with a 68 today so perhaps he is slowly warming to them

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:29 pm

I've played a monty course... and massive slopes on the greens are a feature. To the extent that it is too much at times. Not a fan of monty anyway but his course designs are not good
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:31 pm

London, again you mean a "monty" course.

http://www.egd.com/pages/projects_detaildesigners.php?id=11
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:31 pm

Mac I realise that he does his design work in association with others but he still have input. I've been on three tracks he's had input into... and none of them were particularly enjoyable for me to play.

LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down