The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England Protecting a Lead

+3
Geordie
Biltong
RubyGuby
7 posters

Go down

England Protecting a Lead Empty England Protecting a Lead

Post by RubyGuby Mon 27 Feb 2012, 12:23 pm

Why did the english scrum half start trying to wind the clock down with 73 minutes of the game left and England 3-0 up. I thought it was a poor tactic in all honesty. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

England Protecting a Lead Empty Re: England Protecting a Lead

Post by Biltong Mon 27 Feb 2012, 12:25 pm

Can't remember where the field position was then, but they did that the whole time in their 22.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 27 Feb 2012, 12:40 pm

Englands Bench players were appalling.

Youngs, Stevens and to a degree Lawes let their team mates down.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 27 Feb 2012, 12:45 pm

Geordie - those comments should be on the Bench Power/Shower thread - you've almost quoted me word for word there. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 27 Feb 2012, 12:55 pm

Haha it was a bit ridiculous wasnt it.

OK theres an element of once a defence is set you may as well take your time. Their is no law the ref can use to speed it up, other than at somepoint warn them he may call the ruck inconclusive and go to a scrum. Theres been a law trial recently where theyve looked at a 5 second limit at rucks or blow up.

By hanging around the attack has time to reorganise based on how the defense is linesd up, and hope to tempt the defending side into frustration and attacking the ruck, taking a defender out the line.
It doesnt help that defences now tend to quickly disengage and spread if they dont have a clear opportunity to win the ball. The real rucking contest hardly ever takes place now.

The way England were under the kosh early on you can also undertand their desire to take the tempo out the game and try and annoy Wales a bit.

I didnt see many Welshmen complaining when they did it in 2008, albeit much later in the game.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 27 Feb 2012, 1:00 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Why did the english scrum half start trying to wind the clock down with 73 minutes of the game left and England 3-0 up. I thought it was a poor tactic in all honesty. thumbsup

It was bloody stupid and we seem to keep doing it- attack when behind or drawn but defend a lead no matter what. I think if at all possible you should always strive to add to a lead. It only takes one mistake to lose as the Lawes ripping incident demonstrates. A second of poor ball presentation and you lose...
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by johnpartle Mon 27 Feb 2012, 4:32 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Why did the english scrum half start trying to wind the clock down with 73 minutes of the game left and England 3-0 up. I thought it was a poor tactic in all honesty. thumbsup

England didn't get the first score until the 23rd minute, so it couldn't have been with 73 minutes of the game left, but if he was dragging players into the tail of the ruck whilst inside his 22 it would have been to create more distance and make certain of not having the kick charged down like Wales later failed to prevent.

Wink

johnpartle

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 27 Feb 2012, 4:37 pm

The thing is John he didn't create more distance and gave away the softest 3 points of the day - It was schoolboy stuff that impressed no one. thumbsup You need to work on those charge downs a bit more and the try will follow thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 27 Feb 2012, 5:01 pm

Perfection clap
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by johnpartle Mon 27 Feb 2012, 5:01 pm

It wasn't him that gave the penalty away though, it was Botha going off his feet.

Well unfortunately our charge down expert (with the tournament's 2nd highest try total behind Bowe) looks like he has lost his place.

johnpartle

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 27 Feb 2012, 5:06 pm

I think the stalling thing John just slowed everything down and it just seemed as if it was waiting to happen. I like my side to just get it clear from there with the boot to touch - there was plenty of time - I find it a bit infuriating. Scotland did it against England and u could see what was going to happen. Teams need to be decisive in that area. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down