The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Team of the Weekend (3)

+10
R!skysports
Rory_Gallagher
Feckless Rogue
Mr Bounce
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
thebluesmancometh
Effervescing Elephant
miteyironpaw
14 posters

Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by miteyironpaw Mon 27 Feb 2012, 3:28 pm

1-Jean-Baptiste Poux
2-Dimitri Szarzewski Ross Ford
3-Nicolas Mas
4-Richie Gray
5-Paul O'Connell (captain)
6 - Dan Lydiate John Barclay
7- Thierry Dusautoir
8 - Sergio Parisse
9 - Connor Murray
10 - Owen Farrell
11 - Julien Malzieu
12 - Scott Williams Wesley Fofana
13 - Manu Tuilagi
14 - Tommy Bowe
15 - Stuart Hogg

Coach : Andy Robinson [as RubyGuby points out it was stupid to take off Ford at a crucial time of the game, especially when he was the best hooker of the weekend (behave)]
Warren Gatland [The kiwi has taken a rag tag bunch of no-hopers who couldn't get out of their pool at the RWC and turned them into a team who can beat the mighty England at home]

I've opted for the French front row en-masse for a truly dominant performance over Scotland and because copying and pasting three of their complicated names is easier than trying to find where one ends and the next one begins. Edit: Until Riskysports convinced me that Ford had a better game doing several fabulous things whilst I was making a cup of tea and answering the phone.

In the second row another stand out performance for Richie Gray earns him a spot on the basis of consistent form, pairing with Paul O'Connell who is in as captain with his experience. He's part of the golden generation and won precious little else. Also I was hoping to make some Irish people like me. I've never really understood that Ulster/Munster thing you argue about so if I've offended half of you inadvertently then I appologise. This also allows me to gloss over the work done in patching up the Welsh lineout and technically magnificent scrummaging of the Welsh second row because I'm just not ready to admit they did well yet.

Dusautoir is named at 7 due to the metric system, leaving a space for Lydiate who is very lucky to win out in most competitive spot across the 6N and who will find as the token Welshman in the pack he will wish he hadn't been selected shortly after kick off anyway. Lydiate is now being spared as RiskySports and others have convinced me that by merely beating England, Wales proved nothing, whereas by losing to France, Scotland showed they are true contenders. In comes big John Barclay.

An undeniably political crowd pleasing token selection of underdog favourite Sergio Parisse in the 8 spot from an unlucky but more talented Denton who might fight it out for a spot on the reserves bench with Heaslip.

Into the backs, and none of the 9s covered themselves in glory but Connor Murray gets the spot for being most forgettable, hence nothing he messed up sticks in my mind.

At 10, new English media darling Owen Farrell gets the nod ahead of everyone else simply to antagonise the Welsh and rub in the fact that Rhys Priestland had such a shocker on Saturday.

Malzieu picks up the left wing ahead of Trimble (I just don't like the name), Strettle (who couldn't convince the referee he'd scored even though he hadn't) and George North (who should have been sin-binned for a blatant professional foul) and in making two game saving defensive manoeuvres has upset me to the extent of exclusion. Plus he didn't "smash" anyone like he and Jiffy promised.

On the right Tommy Bowe. No reasons needed surely. Made everyone else look like just an ordinary right wing.

In the center Scott Williams gets a start, partly because he scored a brilliant solo effort, but largely so I can name him ahead of (the ill-disciplined) Jamie Roberts, an implication which I calculate to upset some Welsh fans, whose imagined fuming bitterness makes me feel slightly better about the festering seething black pit of hatred that has been corroding the bottom of my stomach since the final whistle on Saturday. Or he would have started if not for a last minute change to the flying "Frenchman" Wesley Fofana, who despite being born in Paris doesn't sound or look French enough to avoid the ironic inverted commas. However he tackled like a Pacific Islander even if he doesn't turn out to be one in the fullness of time, whilst making yards and passing the ball and generally doing things that rugby players should. Top skills, into the team you go.

Manu Tuilagi, obviously, for diversity value and also because it will allow us to print pictures of a Samoan in an England jersey uncomfortably mouthing the words to GSTQ and Land of Hope and Glory without a hint of irony.

Finally Stuart Hogg gets the 15 jersey to show a suitable amount of naive hysterical over-reaction to a decent performance involving a Scotsman scoring a try.


Last edited by miteyironpaw on Mon 27 Feb 2012, 5:13 pm; edited 5 times in total
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Posts : 1352
Join date : 2012-01-10

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by Effervescing Elephant Mon 27 Feb 2012, 3:36 pm

A refreshingly honest appraisal and i can therefore only agree with you wholeheartedly!
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Posts : 1629
Join date : 2011-03-25
Age : 48
Location : Exeter/Bristol/Brittany

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 27 Feb 2012, 3:38 pm

I have a few suggestions if I might...

Jenkins work rate deserves a place, just immense!

I thought Botha had a good game.

Any weekend team has Warbs and Duss fighting out the 7 shirt.

I'd have Barritt at 12 he was flawless.

Fofana or Earls at 13, both did much more going forward than Tuilagi.

And I was really impressed with Strettles contribution, he did so much he didn't get credit for and on another day couldve had 2 tries to his name too.

Ps Only saw highlights of the Scot game so the Fafana call may be a bit out.

thebluesmancometh

Posts : 8358
Join date : 2011-05-04

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 27 Feb 2012, 3:40 pm

Laugh

Brilliant mate.

Just "improving" a line for you
miteyironpaw wrote:...
I've opted for the French front row en-masse for a truly dominant performance over Scotland and because copying and pasting three of their complicated names is easier than trying to find where one ends and the next one begins. Plus the inclusion of a French player with a Russian name implies a bit of poaching, even if the chap was born in Narbonne...
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Posts : 10925
Join date : 2011-01-26
Location : London, England

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 27 Feb 2012, 3:44 pm

Well done sir,

For someone thats pends such a great deal of effort on being an unrepentatnt twerp most of the time thats quite some article.

More of this.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Posts : 10344
Join date : 2011-06-02
Location : Englandshire

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 27 Feb 2012, 3:48 pm

mitey, missing out Ford and Rennie is simply sinful warning

Anyway, here's espnscrum.com's version:

15. Rob Kearney (Ireland)
The mesmeric fullback showed signs of being back to his usual supremacy with a series of sniping runs, off-loads and accurate kicking.

14. Stuart Hogg (Scotland)
The 19-year-old is the shining star within Scottish rugby at the moment. His full Test debut was marked with a try and whenever he got on the ball - Murrayfield rose to its feet.

13. Manu Tuilagi (England)
The outside centre was bouncing people off him all game and provided much of England's spark going forward.

12. Wesley Fofana (France)
One of the most naturally talented young inside centres in the northern hemisphere, Fofana saw his stock rise with his second try in as many matches for France with a precise angled run against Scotland.

11. Tommy Bowe (Ireland)
The Irish winger claimed third spot in the all-time Irish scoring charts with his double against Italy. A constant thorn in the Azzurri's side, Bowe was superb.

10. Owen Farrell (England)
The fly-half is showing maturity beyond his tender years and while fellow half-back Johnny Sexton was awarded the man of the match in Saturday's match between Ireland and Italy, Farrell just edges him after his impressive all-round performance.

9. Mike Phillips (Wales)
The scrum-half did the simple things well. He put his side in the right areas of the pitch and did his best to disrupt his opponent Lee Dickson.

1. Jean-Baptiste Poux (France)
France enjoyed supremacy in the front-row against Scotland and Poux dominated opposite number Geoff Cross throughout.

2. Ross Ford (Scotland)
The hooker made some yards in the loose and was the fire at the heart of an impressive Scottish performance.

3. Adam Jones (Wales)
Jones got the better of Alex Corbisiero and also acquitted himself well in the loose.

4. Paul O'Connell (Ireland)
The lock was immense against Italy and showed signs of being back to his 2009 British & Irish Lions best.

5. Richie Gray (Scotland)
Is there anything the second-row can't do? Off-loading, gainline breaking runs and solid in the scrum - Gray gets better and better.

6. Dan Lydiate (Wales)
The blindside edged the England back-row and although compatriot Sam Warburton gets the headlines, Lydiate is going about his business in a quiet and ruthlessly efficient manner.

7. Ross Rennie (Scotland)
Rennie just edges Warburton after his immense showing against France. He was solid around the breakdown and also made some darting runs.

8. Thierry Dusautoir (France)
The French captain put in 19 tackles and missed none against Scotland - impressive in anyone's books.

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Posts : 14129
Join date : 2011-03-26
Age : 111
Location : Devon/London

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by miteyironpaw Mon 27 Feb 2012, 3:49 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:mitey, missing out Ford and Rennie is simply sinful warning

Anyway, here's espnscrum.com's version:

15. Rob Kearney (Ireland)
The mesmeric fullback showed signs of being back to his usual supremacy with a series of sniping runs, off-loads and accurate kicking.

14. Stuart Hogg (Scotland)
The 19-year-old is the shining star within Scottish rugby at the moment. His full Test debut was marked with a try and whenever he got on the ball - Murrayfield rose to its feet.

13. Manu Tuilagi (England)
The outside centre was bouncing people off him all game and provided much of England's spark going forward.

12. Wesley Fofana (France)
One of the most naturally talented young inside centres in the northern hemisphere, Fofana saw his stock rise with his second try in as many matches for France with a precise angled run against Scotland.

11. Tommy Bowe (Ireland)
The Irish winger claimed third spot in the all-time Irish scoring charts with his double against Italy. A constant thorn in the Azzurri's side, Bowe was superb.

10. Owen Farrell (England)
The fly-half is showing maturity beyond his tender years and while fellow half-back Johnny Sexton was awarded the man of the match in Saturday's match between Ireland and Italy, Farrell just edges him after his impressive all-round performance.

9. Mike Phillips (Wales)
The scrum-half did the simple things well. He put his side in the right areas of the pitch and did his best to disrupt his opponent Lee Dickson.

1. Jean-Baptiste Poux (France)
France enjoyed supremacy in the front-row against Scotland and Poux dominated opposite number Geoff Cross throughout.

2. Ross Ford (Scotland)
The hooker made some yards in the loose and was the fire at the heart of an impressive Scottish performance.

3. Adam Jones (Wales)
Jones got the better of Alex Corbisiero and also acquitted himself well in the loose.

4. Paul O'Connell (Ireland)
The lock was immense against Italy and showed signs of being back to his 2009 British & Irish Lions best.

5. Richie Gray (Scotland)
Is there anything the second-row can't do? Off-loading, gainline breaking runs and solid in the scrum - Gray gets better and better.

6. Dan Lydiate (Wales)
The blindside edged the England back-row and although compatriot Sam Warburton gets the headlines, Lydiate is going about his business in a quiet and ruthlessly efficient manner.

7. Ross Rennie (Scotland)
Rennie just edges Warburton after his immense showing against France. He was solid around the breakdown and also made some darting runs.

8. Thierry Dusautoir (France)
The French captain put in 19 tackles and missed none against Scotland - impressive in anyone's books.

Meh. My team would hand their team their arse.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Posts : 1352
Join date : 2012-01-10

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by Mr Bounce Mon 27 Feb 2012, 3:51 pm

ESPN are playing 2 players out of position. I HATE that!

Mr Bounce

Posts : 3415
Join date : 2011-03-18
Location : East of Florida, West of Felixstowe

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 27 Feb 2012, 3:52 pm

Duss at 8, Tuilagi at 13 and Phillips name on the sheet says absolutely everything you need to know about espn...

thebluesmancometh

Posts : 8358
Join date : 2011-05-04

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 27 Feb 2012, 3:53 pm

I dont know what your obsession with hating Tuilagi says about you Bluesman....

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Posts : 10344
Join date : 2011-06-02
Location : Englandshire

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by Feckless Rogue Mon 27 Feb 2012, 3:56 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Fofana or Earls at 13, both did much more going forward than Tuilagi.

Fofana plays 12 though bluesman.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Posts : 3230
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : The Mighty Kingdom Of Leinster

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 27 Feb 2012, 4:06 pm

Cos noones ever been picked or played out of position have they Rogue?

I don't hate Tuilagi, I like him, he is a good player, big strong and physical, but he is not the superstar you are all lauding him out to be, for what he brings there are players who bring the same and more!

He is a raw powerfull player at the minute who gets over the gainline, but he made very few yards V Wales, and butchered a guarentee'd try, and 2 possible others by just looking for contact. There are very few things that wind me up more than players taking contact unnecesarily...

thebluesmancometh

Posts : 8358
Join date : 2011-05-04

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by miteyironpaw Mon 27 Feb 2012, 4:07 pm

Erm...it can't have been butchered if it was guaranteed.

It could only be one or the other.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Posts : 1352
Join date : 2012-01-10

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 27 Feb 2012, 4:13 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Cos noones ever been picked or played out of position have they Rogue?

I don't hate Tuilagi, I like him, he is a good player, big strong and physical, but he is not the superstar you are all lauding him out to be, for what he brings there are players who bring the same and more!

He is a raw powerfull player at the minute who gets over the gainline, but he made very few yards V Wales, and butchered a guarentee'd try, and 2 possible others by just looking for contact. There are very few things that wind me up more than players taking contact unnecesarily...
Tuilagi = 59m, 3rd highest for England - top = Foden on 108m, inevitable as a FB, 2nd = Strettle on 63m vs Wales - Halfpenny, top on 67m, North 2nd on 53m OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Posts : 14129
Join date : 2011-03-26
Age : 111
Location : Devon/London

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 27 Feb 2012, 4:20 pm

I wouldn't bother arguing with bluesman - after debating with him he resorted to personal abuse about my family.

Rory_Gallagher

Posts : 11324
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 31
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 27 Feb 2012, 4:20 pm

Thats all well and good, but I'd swap 59m for 40 with a match winning try at the end of it any day of the week, wouldn't you???

That tells me 2 things, Wales kicked long and infeild and Tuilagi was inneffective carrying with no reward to show for it.

thebluesmancometh

Posts : 8358
Join date : 2011-05-04

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 27 Feb 2012, 4:21 pm

Personal abuse about your family???

Give it up Rory, that is just poor taste.

thebluesmancometh

Posts : 8358
Join date : 2011-05-04

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 27 Feb 2012, 4:23 pm

Well you know exactly what you said, and your comment was removed, so lets just leave it there shall we.

Rory_Gallagher

Posts : 11324
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 31
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 27 Feb 2012, 4:23 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Thats all well and good, but I'd swap 59m for 40 with a match winning try at the end of it any day of the week, wouldn't you???

That tells me 2 things, Wales kicked long and infeild and Tuilagi was inneffective carrying with no reward to show for it.
bluesman, 6 defenders beaten, 3 offloads, 59m, 8 tackles with just one missed, ... , did you watch the same game as the rest of us?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Posts : 14129
Join date : 2011-03-26
Age : 111
Location : Devon/London

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by miteyironpaw Mon 27 Feb 2012, 4:24 pm

Rory and Bluesman....Guys! Not all over my team of the weekend thread please. Take your fight into the "Alleyway outside the 606 Pub" forum thread please.

Note that I put that in brown, so as not to upset RugbyDreamer by writing in her trademark red.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Posts : 1352
Join date : 2012-01-10

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by R!skysports Mon 27 Feb 2012, 4:30 pm

have to say Blair was by far the stand out 9 this weekend - in his 35 mins before injury did more than all the rest

Not sure how you can have Thierry Dusautoir in the squad when the MOM was the Opposite No7 in Ross Rennie - and he was that good

Ford has to be there - 100% record in throwing, carrying ball like a mad man, and generally having a fantastic run of form

So a few tweaks for me

1-Jean-Baptiste Poux
2-DimiRoss Forrd
3-Nicolas Mas
4-Richie Gray
5-Paul O'Connell (captain)
6 - Dan Lydiate
7- Ross Rennie
8 - Sergio Parisse
9 - Mike Blair
10 - Owen Farrell
11 - Julien Malzieu
12 - Scott Williams
13 - Manu Tuilagi
14 - Tommy Bowe
15 - Stuart Hogg


R!skysports

Posts : 3667
Join date : 2011-03-17

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by miteyironpaw Mon 27 Feb 2012, 4:34 pm

Riskysports wrote:have to say Blair was by far the stand out 9 this weekend - in his 35 mins before injury did more than all the rest

Not sure how you can have Thierry Dusautoir in the squad when the MOM was the Opposite No7 in Ross Rennie - and he was that good

Ford has to be there - 100% record in throwing, carrying ball like a mad man, and generally having a fantastic run of form


Ford was part of an outmatched scrum that probably lost Scotland the match. There is no room for outmatched players in my team!

I though the MOTM to Ross Rennie was wrong, so I gave it to Dusautoir. Also I missed chunks of the game whilst arguing with a contractor about a maintenance issue and in the bits I watched Dusautoir was class and I didn't remember Rennie doing much. So that's the basis of my decisions.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Posts : 1352
Join date : 2012-01-10

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by R!skysports Mon 27 Feb 2012, 4:38 pm

miteyironpaw wrote:
Riskysports wrote:have to say Blair was by far the stand out 9 this weekend - in his 35 mins before injury did more than all the rest

Not sure how you can have Thierry Dusautoir in the squad when the MOM was the Opposite No7 in Ross Rennie - and he was that good

Ford has to be there - 100% record in throwing, carrying ball like a mad man, and generally having a fantastic run of form


Ford was part of an outmatched scrum that probably lost Scotland the match. There is no room for outmatched players in my team!

I though the MOTM to Ross Rennie was wrong, so I gave it to Dusautoir. Also I missed chunks of the game whilst arguing with a contractor about a maintenance issue and in the bits I watched Dusautoir was class and I didn't remember Rennie doing much. So that's the basis of my decisions.

Fair enough, you may have missed him ripping the ball out of the hands of two players, turning over the ball several times and generally having a fantastic game :-)

Would blame the props more. Ford outplayed the other hooker by a country mile in every other way, and made a 40 yards break

By difference of opinions are allowed ...

R!skysports

Posts : 3667
Join date : 2011-03-17

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by miteyironpaw Mon 27 Feb 2012, 4:40 pm

Not on my thread Risksports, you either agree with me or leave boxing

Ok then, Let's put Ford in then, you've convinced me.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Posts : 1352
Join date : 2012-01-10

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 27 Feb 2012, 4:41 pm

I think Ford is almost nailed on for a lions tour, he is really impressing me at the minute (didn't see the France game so can't comment)

Mind you I thought the same thing last time and he got injured and lost some form, similar to Flannery.

thebluesmancometh

Posts : 8358
Join date : 2011-05-04

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 27 Feb 2012, 4:41 pm

miteyironpaw wrote:Not on my thread Risksports, you either agree with me or leave boxing

Ok then, Let's put Ford in then, you've convinced me.
Laugh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Posts : 14129
Join date : 2011-03-26
Age : 111
Location : Devon/London

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by RubyGuby Mon 27 Feb 2012, 4:50 pm

Why did Scotland take Ford off, that was baffling, crucial time of the game, let's take our inspirationlal captain off 'cos he's having a stormer Headscratch

RubyGuby

Posts : 7404
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : UK

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by miteyironpaw Mon 27 Feb 2012, 4:51 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Why did Scotland take Ford off, that was baffling, crucial time of the game, let's take our inspirationlal captain off 'cos he's having a stormer Headscratch

Good point RubyGuby, I'll take Andy Robinson out as the coach for the TOTW.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Posts : 1352
Join date : 2012-01-10

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by Comfort Mon 27 Feb 2012, 4:52 pm

just to put some of this in context, Wales win for the 2nd time in 23 years away in fortress Twickenham for the triple crown scoring 2 tries to nil, Scotland lose at home to a stuttering but dangerous france team and the squad is full of Scottish and English players.....

... if we were on twitter, i would be all like '#justsayin'


Comfort

Posts : 2072
Join date : 2011-08-13
Location : Cardiff

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by miteyironpaw Mon 27 Feb 2012, 4:54 pm

Comfort wrote:just to put some of this in context, Wales win for the 2nd time in 23 years away in fortress Twickenham for the triple crown scoring 2 tries to nil, Scotland lose at home to a stuttering but dangerous france team and the squad is full of Scottish and English players.....

... if we were on twitter, i would be all like '#justsayin'


But do you disgaree with any of my rationale for those selections Comfort? I've put in Warren Gatland as coach of the week? That's not making you happy?
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Posts : 1352
Join date : 2012-01-10

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by Comfort Mon 27 Feb 2012, 4:57 pm

Mitey, I'll take the morale victory Very Happy


Last edited by Comfort on Mon 27 Feb 2012, 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : moraleness)

Comfort

Posts : 2072
Join date : 2011-08-13
Location : Cardiff

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by miteyironpaw Mon 27 Feb 2012, 4:59 pm

Comfort wrote:Mitey, I'll take the morale victory Very Happy

And thank you in turn for suggesting that England were better than France! Hug
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Posts : 1352
Join date : 2012-01-10

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by TJ1 Mon 27 Feb 2012, 4:59 pm

Funniest pots I have read on here

TJ1

Posts : 2666
Join date : 2011-08-06

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by Comfort Mon 27 Feb 2012, 5:01 pm

miteyironpaw wrote:
Comfort wrote:Mitey, I'll take the morale victory Very Happy

And thank you in turn for suggesting that England were better than France! Hug

to be fair you guys always raise your game against the welsh! king

Comfort

Posts : 2072
Join date : 2011-08-13
Location : Cardiff

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by R!skysports Mon 27 Feb 2012, 5:01 pm

Comfort wrote:just to put some of this in context, Wales win for the 2nd time in 23 years away in Twickenham (scoring only 2 tries to one disallowed one) against a side that should have lost to Scotland and nearly lost to Italy, for the triple crown after a contrivertial win against Ireland and a solid but unspectaular win against Scotland (who were down to 14 men for 20 mins), Scotland lose at home to a the world cup finalists and score 2 tries and get the MOM have most of the possession and the squad still has Welsh players rather than full of Scottish players.....

... if we were on twitter, i would be all like '#justsayin'


I have amended your text slightly (just for fun)


R!skysports

Posts : 3667
Join date : 2011-03-17

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by Comfort Mon 27 Feb 2012, 5:04 pm

Laugh clap

Comfort

Posts : 2072
Join date : 2011-08-13
Location : Cardiff

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by miteyironpaw Mon 27 Feb 2012, 5:08 pm

Comfort wrote: Laugh clap

Against RiskySports you have convinced me. I'll take out the remaining Welshmen. What about the Coach though? Should that go back to Robinson?
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Posts : 1352
Join date : 2012-01-10

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 27 Feb 2012, 5:09 pm

Laugh

Jeebus, mitey, yer flip-flopping faster than a very flippy-floppy thing with a degree in floppiness from the University of Oxford

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Posts : 14129
Join date : 2011-03-26
Age : 111
Location : Devon/London

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by R!skysports Mon 27 Feb 2012, 5:17 pm

miteyironpaw wrote:
Comfort wrote: Laugh clap

Against RiskySports you have convinced me. I'll take out the remaining Welshmen. What about the Coach though? Should that go back to Robinson?

There is one token one allowed - lets go for the coah :-) devil

R!skysports

Posts : 3667
Join date : 2011-03-17

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 27 Feb 2012, 5:27 pm

planetrugby.co.uk's effort:

Team of Week 3

15 Rob Kearney (Ireland) - A constant threat and displayed the dominance we have come to expect from him in the air. Leigh Halfpenny nailed four penalties and a conversion for the Welsh to help them seal a Triple Crown, but it was Kearney's running that caught the eye at Aviva Stadium.

14 Tommy Bowe (Ireland) - People were criticising the form of Bowe leading up to the Six Nations but he silenced his doubters on Saturday with two well-taken tries. According to reports, Ulster are chasing the Osprey and it is easy to see why as Bowe will deliver for you.

13 Manu Tuilagi (England) - It was quite a return to the Test arena for Tuilagi as he added another dimension to Stuart Lancaster's backline. Alongside Brad Barritt, the Tiger formed a formidable midfield duo that allowed Owen Farrell much more of a creative role in the outfit.

12 Wesley Fofana (France) - Barritt and Welsh replacement Williams - barring the moment he should have passed to one of two supporting mates - were superb for their respective teams. However, Fofana showed his class again for France and hit a fine angle to bring France back into the match at Murrayfield. He then backed that up with flashes of quality during the second-half, as his future in blue jersey looks like a long-term one right now.

11 Stuart Hogg (Scotland) - Another top day from the 19-year-old, who offered the Scots more of an attacking threat in his first start at full-back. Due to Kearney having a superb game for Ireland, we shift Hogg to wing as his try-scoring effort could not go unrewarded.

10 Owen Farrell (England) - Two made the shortlist for this slot and they were Farrell and Jonathan Sexton. Leinster's director kicked very well against Italy and steered his team nicely, but for another outing that belied his years, Farrell gets the nod in our playmaking role. England may not change well-balanced and sturdy this backline for a good while yet.

9 Mike Blair (Scotland) - 34 excellent minutes from the recalled Blair sees him pip Mike Phillips. Blair added a running game to Scotland at the base and was a key reason why they went 10-0 up. Phillips meanwhile was his usual bustling self, doing the basics well.

8 Ross Rennie (Scotland) - It was another Herculean effort from Sergio Parisse but flanker Rennie has been just as good in Six Nations 2012 and capped a superb performance with the man-of-the-match award against France. A certain Welshman starring in London means we slot Rennie, who was tireless in the tackle and powerful with ball in hand, in at eight. It seemed France successfully silenced David Denton but forgot about Rennie's quality.

7 Sam Warburton (Wales) - British & Irish Lions manager Andy Irvine on Sunday tagged Warburton as "the northern hemisphere's Richie McCaw". Few would argue with that statement and at such an early stage in his career, the Cardiff Blues flank is set for a long tenure leading his country and maybe even the Lions next year. His tackle on the rampaging Tuilagi could not have been better as it took the Tiger's legs away. His form did not dip.

6 Thierry Dusautoir (France) - 25 tackles made, none missed as the skipper was a rock for his country. One hit in particular stood out as he sent prop Geoff Cross packing just when Scotland were in the ascendancy. He sneaks ahead of Dan Lydiate in this position.

5 Paul O'Connell (Ireland) - 'Paulie' keeps churning out the 80 minutes for his side and is leading by example while Brian O'Driscoll is away. A tower of strength for Ireland.

4 Geoff Parling (England) - Some raised an eyebrow when Lancaster chose to cut Tom Palmer but the interim boss seemingly made the right call as Parling got through a lot of work against Wales while doing well in the line-out. Ian Evans also deserves a mention.

3 Adam Jones (Wales) - Jones tweeted today that his body was still sore two days after facing England. It's unsurprising as the Osprey hit a whole host of rucks and scrummaged superbly for his side on Saturday. He made life uncomfortable at times for Alex Corbisiero.

2 Ross Ford (Scotland) - Nothing flashy but everything was completed as expected from Edinburgh hooker Ford, who chooses to sacrifice words for action for Scotland.

1 Gethin Jenkins (Wales) - 32-year-old Jean-Baptiste Poux was solid at the coal face while we should mention Tom Court after his moment in the sun. But for eleven tackles and another busy display, Jenkins proved again that Toulon are getting a quality prop.

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Posts : 14129
Join date : 2011-03-26
Age : 111
Location : Devon/London

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by miteyironpaw Mon 27 Feb 2012, 5:53 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:planetrugby.co.uk's effort:

Team of Week 3

15 Rob Kearney (Ireland) - A constant threat and displayed the dominance we have come to expect from him in the air. Leigh Halfpenny nailed four penalties and a conversion for the Welsh to help them seal a Triple Crown, but it was Kearney's running that caught the eye at Aviva Stadium.

14 Tommy Bowe (Ireland) - People were criticising the form of Bowe leading up to the Six Nations but he silenced his doubters on Saturday with two well-taken tries. According to reports, Ulster are chasing the Osprey and it is easy to see why as Bowe will deliver for you.

13 Manu Tuilagi (England) - It was quite a return to the Test arena for Tuilagi as he added another dimension to Stuart Lancaster's backline. Alongside Brad Barritt, the Tiger formed a formidable midfield duo that allowed Owen Farrell much more of a creative role in the outfit.

12 Wesley Fofana (France) - Barritt and Welsh replacement Williams - barring the moment he should have passed to one of two supporting mates - were superb for their respective teams. However, Fofana showed his class again for France and hit a fine angle to bring France back into the match at Murrayfield. He then backed that up with flashes of quality during the second-half, as his future in blue jersey looks like a long-term one right now.

11 Stuart Hogg (Scotland) - Another top day from the 19-year-old, who offered the Scots more of an attacking threat in his first start at full-back. Due to Kearney having a superb game for Ireland, we shift Hogg to wing as his try-scoring effort could not go unrewarded.

10 Owen Farrell (England) - Two made the shortlist for this slot and they were Farrell and Jonathan Sexton. Leinster's director kicked very well against Italy and steered his team nicely, but for another outing that belied his years, Farrell gets the nod in our playmaking role. England may not change well-balanced and sturdy this backline for a good while yet.

9 Mike Blair (Scotland) - 34 excellent minutes from the recalled Blair sees him pip Mike Phillips. Blair added a running game to Scotland at the base and was a key reason why they went 10-0 up. Phillips meanwhile was his usual bustling self, doing the basics well.

8 Ross Rennie (Scotland) - It was another Herculean effort from Sergio Parisse but flanker Rennie has been just as good in Six Nations 2012 and capped a superb performance with the man-of-the-match award against France. A certain Welshman starring in London means we slot Rennie, who was tireless in the tackle and powerful with ball in hand, in at eight. It seemed France successfully silenced David Denton but forgot about Rennie's quality.

7 Sam Warburton (Wales) - British & Irish Lions manager Andy Irvine on Sunday tagged Warburton as "the northern hemisphere's Richie McCaw". Few would argue with that statement and at such an early stage in his career, the Cardiff Blues flank is set for a long tenure leading his country and maybe even the Lions next year. His tackle on the rampaging Tuilagi could not have been better as it took the Tiger's legs away. His form did not dip.

6 Thierry Dusautoir (France) - 25 tackles made, none missed as the skipper was a rock for his country. One hit in particular stood out as he sent prop Geoff Cross packing just when Scotland were in the ascendancy. He sneaks ahead of Dan Lydiate in this position.

5 Paul O'Connell (Ireland) - 'Paulie' keeps churning out the 80 minutes for his side and is leading by example while Brian O'Driscoll is away. A tower of strength for Ireland.

4 Geoff Parling (England) - Some raised an eyebrow when Lancaster chose to cut Tom Palmer but the interim boss seemingly made the right call as Parling got through a lot of work against Wales while doing well in the line-out. Ian Evans also deserves a mention.

3 Adam Jones (Wales) - Jones tweeted today that his body was still sore two days after facing England. It's unsurprising as the Osprey hit a whole host of rucks and scrummaged superbly for his side on Saturday. He made life uncomfortable at times for Alex Corbisiero.

2 Ross Ford (Scotland) - Nothing flashy but everything was completed as expected from Edinburgh hooker Ford, who chooses to sacrifice words for action for Scotland.

1 Gethin Jenkins (Wales) - 32-year-old Jean-Baptiste Poux was solid at the coal face while we should mention Tom Court after his moment in the sun. But for eleven tackles and another busy display, Jenkins proved again that Toulon are getting a quality prop.

My team would hand their team their arses.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Posts : 1352
Join date : 2012-01-10

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by slartibartfast Mon 27 Feb 2012, 7:11 pm

I thought there would be more England players in there.
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Posts : 824
Join date : 2011-09-26

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by miteyironpaw Mon 27 Feb 2012, 7:20 pm

Any suggestions Slarty? I'm still open to be convinced on many of the positions where I was wavering. I'm much happier with Ross Fjord in there, although at this time of year I'm told he's not equitorial enough.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Posts : 1352
Join date : 2012-01-10

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 27 Feb 2012, 7:31 pm

Probably strettle at 11 for all the great work he did for Wales.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Posts : 10344
Join date : 2011-06-02
Location : Englandshire

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by miteyironpaw Mon 27 Feb 2012, 8:02 pm

I'm thinking seriously about Easter at 8. I know he didn't play, but I've been reading about him on another thread. Headscratch
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Posts : 1352
Join date : 2012-01-10

Back to top Go down

Team of the Weekend (3) Empty Re: Team of the Weekend (3)

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum