The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let's make the Lions more fair

+25
Geordie
dogtooth
propdavid_london
The Great Aukster
Tattie Scones RRN
westisbest
eirebilly
Pot Hale
Morgannwg
slartibartfast
thebandwagonsociety
bsando
Looseheaded
pbuk0
miteyironpaw
Luckless Pedestrian
Submachine
Tommy David lookalike
MonkeyOwain12
thebluesmancometh
Effervescing Elephant
RubyGuby
mankiaow
idris
29 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Should the touring squad be split equally into the 4 home nations?

Let's make the Lions more fair Vote_lcap20%Let's make the Lions more fair Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 11 ]
Let's make the Lions more fair Vote_lcap80%Let's make the Lions more fair Vote_rcap 80% 
[ 45 ]

Total Votes : 56

Let's make the Lions more fair Empty Let's make the Lions more fair

Post by idris Tue 28 Feb 2012, 1:06 pm

I think the 2009 Lions was a dramatic improvement on 2005, not just in performances, but in the way the whole thing was managed. Less players, more bonding, more fun, more honesty and picking the best players to play.

2005 was the biggest farce known in human history. A tour party of 971 players (965 English, 4 Irish, 1 Welsh and 1 Scot), 354 public relations and media staff and 34 guest motivational speakers.

I would like to see a mandatory proportional representation from each of the home nations. A squad of 32 to tour (8 from each home nation) and a squad of 12 that are on standby. There were so many injuries in 2009 that extra players will always be needed but I think it's best to keep the main squad as small as possible, but also to keep the standby players in the UK together and regularly training together at a base as most of them will end up being called out to Australia.

Even if Wales or England win the Six Nations this year or next year and Scotland come last, Scotland still have excellent individual players and could easily get a few of their guys into the test team. Right now I would love to see the likes of Denton, Gray, Jones and Hogg starting. They are on fire. It's just their team isn't clicking and the coach hasn't found the right balance.

I wouldn't expect an even mix in the test team as we would have to pick the best players in training and in the midweek matches, but at least everyone has a chance and it's fair game.

It would generate more interest and revenue if all of the home nations were represented equally. I can't imagine too many Scots watched the last few Lions tours. The biggest kick in the teeth was probably for us Welsh who were on fire after winning a slam and then became the test team minority to players who had performed well several years earlier.

idris

Back to top Go down

Let's make the Lions more fair Empty Re: Let's make the Lions more fair

Post by mankiaow Tue 28 Feb 2012, 1:09 pm

I disagree 100%!

mankiaow

Back to top Go down

Post by idris Tue 28 Feb 2012, 1:10 pm

mankiaow wrote:I disagree 100%!

Why?

idris

Back to top Go down

Post by idris Tue 28 Feb 2012, 1:11 pm

I am not saying we should not pick the best players to tour, but why not the best 8 players from each home nation? That would still generate big competition for places.

idris

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 28 Feb 2012, 1:13 pm

I like the idea, shakes it up a bit - Only thing is do we then do the proportional thing for the first XV/XVI thumbsup

Then again, its likely to make the lesser players feel self-conscious and I don't think that's fair on England and Scotland's players Run

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by mankiaow Tue 28 Feb 2012, 1:19 pm

I just liked the fact that I'm the only voter so far.

It's not the worst idea. I just feel that once you start imposing quotas on anything you are asking for trouble. Going to the SH you have to send your best. That's the whole point. It's the best of B&I.

What you're suggesting would not be the best and the selection process would be a nightmare.

mankiaow

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Tue 28 Feb 2012, 1:21 pm

You say proportional but 8 each is an equal split. We should do it as a percentage of the number of registered players per union. IIRC England has 12 billion players registered at the last count so that would mean 99.999% England 0.001% all you other chaps. Fair? Very Happy
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 28 Feb 2012, 1:21 pm

If you try to add the politics of...

That Scot doesn't deserve to be hear when our better player is sat at home

You'll cause tension. If Jones is picked due to lack of performing Scot players and North left at home would that be right?

For example the Wales backline is going very well (ish) and Phillips, Roberts JD2 North and 1/2p will all tour (if right now) That leaves 3 pack players...

Warbs, Jenkins, Jones? What about Davies, the stand out 2nd row of the world cup, Charteris the top tackler, Lydiate? Rees toured before? Not to mention other backs that stand a chance, Hook etc...

Lets say Hamilton is chosen over POC, or Davies due to numbers problems, or Hogg gets picked over Kearney or 1/2p or Foden, for me it's a no goer!

The Lions is the best of the home nations, that might be 90% welsh Irish Scottish or English doesn't matter to me, it's the BEST!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 28 Feb 2012, 1:23 pm

I actually think though, at this precise time a Lions tour would be as equal as I've ever seen one!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by MonkeyOwain12 Tue 28 Feb 2012, 1:26 pm

Hideous!!!

The best players should tour. And by best, this should take in to account a players influence in a tour situation, a squad fit.

This idea would only devalue what is the biggest honour bestowed on home nation rugby players, that's how it should stay...

MonkeyOwain12

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 28 Feb 2012, 1:34 pm

I have issues with the likes of Flutey, Barritt, Botha and Gatland going - That for me makes a complete mockery of the British & Irish Lions absolute mockery - B&I my axx mad

Last edited by RubyGuby on Wed 29 Feb 2012, 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy David lookalike Tue 28 Feb 2012, 1:36 pm

You mkight as well give it up. Rugby reasons - it would cause negativity and resentment amongst the squad. I'm all for the coach being given free reign to sort it all oout himself as he thinks fit. It was after all what we waited 20 yearsd for in Wales only to give that power to the coach when we had a Poopie team!

Tommy David lookalike

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 28 Feb 2012, 1:40 pm

Ruby

What about Hartley? Stevens? Hape?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 28 Feb 2012, 1:49 pm

I could go on of course thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Tue 28 Feb 2012, 2:01 pm

Bowe, O'Driscoll, O'Connell?????

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 28 Feb 2012, 3:09 pm

I voted 'no' because it's a daft idea. We're touring to win so we should take as strong a squad as possible.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Tue 28 Feb 2012, 3:14 pm

A racially segregated quota system?

Surely not team in the modern era should be forced to content with such a political .... oh wait.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by pbuk0 Tue 28 Feb 2012, 3:20 pm

The Lions squad should be made up of the best players available. Having an equal number of players from each country smells of bit of an Idea that Nick Clegg would put forward.. far too PC..next they will be saying that there shouldn't be a winner in any of the tests and we don't keep score..

However I do think that there should not be any current British and Ireland international Coach leading the lions.. it all went wrong when Clive Woodward and Graham Henry did the job and the Lions didn't gel into a team... Warren Gatland taking the job would be wrong... I personally would like to see Connor O'shea to coach the Lions..an Irish man doing a great job at quins..

Last edited by pbuk0 on Tue 28 Feb 2012, 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mistake)

pbuk0

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 28 Feb 2012, 4:01 pm

Conor Oshea is a great shout for the Lions thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Tue 28 Feb 2012, 4:25 pm

I completely disagree. In the act of 'fairness' this introduces the opposite, where a deserving player could be ignored for the benefit of another due to nationality. It can be turned over as discrimination in the name of equality. It's a nice idea, but wouldn't work, and allows a weaker touring squad as well as all the other issues. As someone above said, this is going to be a relatively evenly represented tour, so why worry about this political correctness diversity and equality nonsense and enjoy the best rugby we can put on.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 28 Feb 2012, 4:33 pm

Out of interest, how many Scottish fans were excited about the Lions tour 2009?

I watched a few games, because i love rugby, but I found it very hard to get behind the lions knowing that there was not a single Scottish player on the field. As a Scottish fan it did flip me off a bit. Ross Ford got subbed on at 37 minutes during the 3rd test, that was the extent of Scotland's contributions in the three main tests against SA.

Next year we'll hopefully have Gray and a few others starting, but the Lions to me has always felt more like the English, Irish and Welsh Lions.

It would be nice to have at least one player from each nation on the pitch every game, that wouldn't be hard to do.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 28 Feb 2012, 4:43 pm

bsando

Thats a better call!

I'd be excited about the 2013 tour though, Could be looking at Ford, Gray, Denton, and Blair there or there abouts.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 28 Feb 2012, 5:14 pm

Yeah you're right, I am quite confident that there'll be a few appearances for Scotland in 2013 Smile

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue 28 Feb 2012, 6:11 pm

RubyGuby wrote:I have issues with the likes of Flutey, Barritt, Botha and Gatland going - That for me makes a complete mockery of the British Lions, absolute mockery - British my axx mad

Love it..... never seen the British Lions play before, are they any good?

Surely a representative team from the 4 nations involved should mean that it is not a case of making up the numbers but each fullback looking to better each other to claim that position for the Tour.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 28 Feb 2012, 6:13 pm

They were till it all kicked off and the Irish wanted to be involved in the title!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue 28 Feb 2012, 6:24 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:They were till it all kicked off and the Irish wanted to be involved in the title!

Were they ever called the British Isles Lions, then on the first tour where the market men tried to start shortening it to the British Lions, Lenihan stepped in and reminded people of the political sensitivity.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue 28 Feb 2012, 6:29 pm

And is Lions appropriate, none of the countries involved would have had many Lions running around in the wild. Surely the British & Irish Red Squirrels might be more apt.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Tue 28 Feb 2012, 6:38 pm

Hah! England are so poor they want to change the lions selection rules!!!
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Tue 28 Feb 2012, 7:52 pm

I'm a Scotland fan and yes it is good to see Scottish players playing for the lions but quotas are bad, look at Wales ATM they have Jenkins, Rees, Jones, Warburton, Faletau, Phillips, Priestland, Roberts, Davies, North, Cuthbert and Halfpenny who, on current form, have a very good chance if going on the other hand you have England who have possibly Lawes, Robshaw, Tuilagi and Foden
I could see 8 Scotland players possibly being picked for 2013 but did they derserve more in 05, possibly Paterson, or 09, no not really it also takes something away for the players who won't know if they've been picked on merit or to make up the numbers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 28 Feb 2012, 7:57 pm

Not a bad idea, and seeing as Scotland can provide 8 good players now then we would still have a strong squad, but don't quota the standbay players.

BTW, if Gatland is coach then I can't see only 8 welsh players going! raspberry
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Tue 28 Feb 2012, 10:51 pm

thebandwagonsociety wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:They were till it all kicked off and the Irish wanted to be involved in the title!

Were they ever called the British Isles Lions, then on the first tour where the market men tried to start shortening it to the British Lions, Lenihan stepped in and reminded people of the political sensitivity.

Could you put that in English please for the rest of us?

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 29 Feb 2012, 7:47 am

No way, i like the idea behind it but the Lions are there to win and that means picking the best players likely to do it.

2005 was a shambles because many players were picked based only on a RWC win and not because they were the players in form. That was simply poor selection in my eyes.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 29 Feb 2012, 9:07 am

For me Hogg, Gray, Denton & Ford will probably go if playing well/not injured obviously.

Maybe even Jones.

So think Scotland will have at leat 4 in the squad.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 29 Feb 2012, 10:37 am

The last succcessful lions tour was made up of a proportionate representation of each of the home unions with a sprinkling of unknown players.

Coincidence?

However, in saying that, I think the Lions are an outdated concept and it's more about making money these days.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 29 Feb 2012, 10:52 am

I still love the Lions tours Tattie, long may it continue OK
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by MonkeyOwain12 Wed 29 Feb 2012, 11:06 am

Hear hear!

I'm sure that players, coaches and the thousands of touring fans would disagree with it being outdated.

I feel that the Lions tour and the World Cup are the two truly special events in world rugby.

Last edited by MonkeyOwain12 on Wed 29 Feb 2012, 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Misspelling)

MonkeyOwain12

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Wed 29 Feb 2012, 11:28 am

The Lions are outdated as a contest because it is weighted so heavily in favour of the home side. A settled professional team should always beat a scratch team irrespective of its make-up.

The Lions however are very much on the button as a money machine, and so should always have more English in their ranks, followed by Welsh, Irish and Scots in that order.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by MonkeyOwain12 Wed 29 Feb 2012, 11:35 am

Surely home advantage is the beauty of it since their inception?!?!
A group of players from four nations trying to compete against settled teams...again, since the Lions' inception. Not outdated, just brilliant!

MonkeyOwain12

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 29 Feb 2012, 11:36 am

The Great Aukster wrote:The Lions are outdated as a contest because it is weighted so heavily in favour of the home side. A settled professional team should always beat a scratch team irrespective of its make-up.
The Lions however are very much on the button as a money machine, and so should always have more English in their ranks, followed by Welsh, Irish and Scots in that order.

How does that make it outdated? Wasnt it then always outdated?

Headscratch
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Wed 29 Feb 2012, 11:41 am

There's a massive difference between amateurs embarking on long tours of the past gelling together over several months, coming up against amateur home sides, and what happens now.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Wed 29 Feb 2012, 11:43 am

The best players in the selection season should go - end of.
I'm an England supporter and if the Lions were selected today there wouldnt be many RFU chaps representing and I am fine with that.

A starting 15 today for Lions would be -
Jones, Ford, Jenkins, POC, Grey, O'Brien, Heaslip, Warburton, Phillips, Sexton, North, Roberts, Tuilagi, Bowe, Halfpenny.

With plenty more non RFU guys on the bench -
Ferris, Priestland, Kearny, Trimble, JD2, Ryan Jones ect.

But, in another years time - Lawes, Morgan, Farrell, Foden, Ashton, Robshaw, may have upped their form and forced into consideration.

In a Lions year, its all about the Lions - I'm British when the Lions tour, and I want the best team to tour.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 29 Feb 2012, 11:44 am

Ok, i personally dont see it as being outdated. Its become a tradition in rugby and does not happen that often. If it were such a huge money spinner then i feel that it would occur more often. I love it and long may it continue OK
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Wed 29 Feb 2012, 11:45 am

sport isnt fair. it has winners and losers.

this sort of idea will kill off the lions for sure
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 29 Feb 2012, 12:13 pm

Monkey...

The Lions and the WC are a long way below the 6N for me with regards to events involving drama, affordability, fans banter, build up, intensity and the odd bit of skill etc etc

Perhaps I am slightly tainted with the fact there's never any Scottish representation but then again, so would other countries if they were in the same boat.

2005 was the final straw for me - an absolute shambles.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by MonkeyOwain12 Wed 29 Feb 2012, 12:20 pm

Tattie,

The 6N is fantastic, and as you say, for a supporter this time if year is amazing.
I think that the Heineken Cup is up there too...
But I feel that the Lions and WC are special and the fact that they're so far apart just adds to them for me. Maybe unique is a better word.

MonkeyOwain12

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 29 Feb 2012, 12:46 pm

propdavid_london wrote:The best players in the selection season should go - end of.
I'm an England supporter and if the Lions were selected today there wouldnt be many RFU chaps representing and I am fine with that.

A starting 15 today for Lions would be -
Jones, Ford, Jenkins, POC, Grey, O'Brien, Heaslip, Warburton, Phillips, Sexton, North, Roberts, Tuilagi, Bowe, Halfpenny.

With plenty more non RFU guys on the bench -
Ferris, Priestland, Kearny, Trimble, JD2, Ryan Jones ect.

But, in another years time - Lawes, Morgan, Farrell, Foden, Ashton, Robshaw, may have upped their form and forced into consideration.

In a Lions year, its all about the Lions - I'm British when the Lions tour, and I want the best team to tour.

I totally agree with you saying that a starting lineup today could be very different from a years time..but i think there will be even more players putting their name in the hat than you have highlighted there. Purely becuase there seems to be an abundance of real quality youngsters playing regularly for all the home nations.

Players like Denton, Hogg...and many others from a new look Scotland, Barritt, Wood, maybe the likes of Lindsay, George, Trinder etc from England are just a very few who could be "surprise" or non surprise selections. Add in the Welsh and Irish contingent, who themselves seem to have a surge in young talent....the Lions could be different to what we might expect.....and very strong....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Wed 29 Feb 2012, 12:49 pm

Proportional representation? What a ridiculous suggestion. The Lions are there to win. Not make Scottish and English rugby fans happy.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 29 Feb 2012, 12:56 pm

Generally Lions coaches think it´s best to dominate a side with a particular country as there´s not much time for preparation and previous combinations with the national side can help gel the Lions squad quicker together.

But the problem with that is that you get political rumblings within the squad thinking that the colour of a man´s shirt dictates who is wanted and who is unwanted. Conversely you have a quota system in SA that does not necessarily reward form and seems forced and contrived.

But to me this 6N has a more even feel to it and it´s quite possible Scotland could field some players like Gray, Denton and Hogg and Wales might not have dominance in selections. But as soon as you start saying we need x amount of players from each Home Nation you run the risk of bowing to political pressures just as stacking a squad with one set of country´s players is bowing to the need for continuity and combinations. A happy balance is required that rewards form and an ability to change a game for the better.

You need a monster pack who can dominate the Aussie forwards, a goalkicker like Farrell who can bang over the pressure kicks and sustain pressure, and backs who have a cutting edge on attack as well as defence to contain and test the Aussie backline. From what I´ve seen in this 6N, Scotland, England, Wales and Ireland all have a little of that to offer but to varying degrees. A quota system won't achieve that. All for Lions and Lions for all.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 29 Feb 2012, 1:35 pm

Respect to the OP, at least he's got people posting here.

I've always thought that the only quota that there should be is to have one player from each nation in each test XXII. I don't think that there's been a Lions test side in the past 20 years where at least one player from each nation wasn't good enough to make it (and for those youngfellers out there, there were an awful lot of weakish Irish and Welsh sides in the 80s and 90s - just shows how crops of really good players come cyclically). One player out of 22. Surely that's not going to kill anyone.

Entirely agree that the squad should be selected on merit, of course.

Doesn't matter anyway. We're going to give the Aussies a good tonking with their trousers round their ankles and they know it. Hug
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Wed 29 Feb 2012, 1:39 pm

Yes. It should include players from the 6 nations countries, not just these four.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next