The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Megson Sacked By Sheffield Wednesday

5 posters

Go down

Megson Sacked By Sheffield Wednesday Empty Megson Sacked By Sheffield Wednesday

Post by Derbyblue Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:08 am

Sheffield Wednesday have sacked manager Gary Megson, despite the Owls winning Sunday's Steel City derby.

The 1-0 win over Sheffield United moved them up to third in League One.

Chairman Milan Mandaric said he took the decision to give the club the "best chance of achieving our key aim of promotion".

"This was a very difficult decision but one that has been taken with the best interests of Sheffield Wednesday at heart," he added.

Megson's position at Hillsborough has been the subject of much speculation in recent weeks.

Only nine days ago the Wednesday chairman was forced to refute rumours the former Bolton Wanderers boss had left the club.

Yet, after beating their local rivals on Sunday, Megson now finds himself out of work, after just over a year in charge at the club.

"We have 13 games to go of what is a critical season for our club, and this decision has been taken because I believe we have a better chance of achieving our key aim of promotion by making the change," Mandaric added.

"I fully understand this may not be the most popular decision amongst our supporters but I ask them to trust me, as they have done so whole-heartedly during the time I have been at the club.

"Whilst we won what was a huge game last Sunday, I have looked at results before that to reach the conclusion which I believe is the right one for now and the future of Sheffield Wednesday."

Megson took over at Hillsborough in February 2011, replacing Alan Irvine, with the club lying 12th in League One.

At the time, Mandaric described him as a "top-drawer manager".

This season they have won 18 of their 33 matches and lost nine, including three successive league defeats before the win over the Blades.

Former Wolves and Cardiff boss Dave Jones is already being linked with the job.

Mandaric added: "One chapter is closed and another one begins. We must now look forward and I hope to appoint a new manager as soon as possible to help achieve success for this club."

Wednesday are next in action on Saturday when they travel to Spotland to take on Rochdale.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17214703

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Megson Sacked By Sheffield Wednesday Empty Re: Megson Sacked By Sheffield Wednesday

Post by Derbyblue Thu 01 Mar 2012, 6:01 pm

I really can't understand sacking Megson, Wednesday are only 5 points behind Sheffield United who do have a game in hand but there are still plenty of games left in the season to close that gap. Don't see how the reason "best chance of achieving our key aim of promotion" makes any sense as the best chance is surely a manager who the players are familiar with and has so far managed to get you within touching distance of automatic promotion and not to sack him when the new manager can't bring in many new players apart from potentially a few emergency loans.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Megson Sacked By Sheffield Wednesday Empty Re: Megson Sacked By Sheffield Wednesday

Post by Guest Thu 01 Mar 2012, 7:10 pm

hmmm very suprised by that Headscratch

Back to top Go down

Post by davidl1061 Fri 02 Mar 2012, 10:32 am

Seems strange to me, there are a lot of big clubs in our league this season and I think to finish in the play offs will be no bad thing. The chairmen need to remember that that only 2 teams can get promoted automatically!

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Fri 02 Mar 2012, 2:53 pm

Sheffield Wednesday appoint Dave Jones as new manager

Sheffield Wednesday have appointed Dave Jones as their new manager on a three-and-a-half year contract.

Jones, 55, replaces Gary Megson, who was sacked on Wednesday despite steering the club to third position in League One.

The former Stockport, Southampton, Wolves and Cardiff manager takes over with immediate effect.

He told the club website: "This is a fantastic club and a fantastic challenge for me."

Jones continued: "After talking to the chairman and seeing what he wanted and what his plans are, I had no hesitation in coming here because it's a huge club which should not be where it is."

Wednesday chairman Milan Mandaric, who sacked life-long Owls fan Megson despite winning the derby with Sheffield United on Sunday, is confident Jones can lead the club forward.

"It was essential that we made a swift appointment with 13 games to go this season and I am convinced we have the right man for the job."

Former Owls captain Darren Purse had backed Jones for the job on Thursday, having played under him for the Bluebirds.

The 35-year-old Plymouth Argyle defender told BBC Radio Sheffield: "I played for Dave for four years at Cardiff.

"He's a great manager. He could be the man to take the club forward."

This will be Jones' first managerial position since being sacked by Cardiff in May after six years in charge, following the Bluebirds' second successive failure to win promotion via the Championship play-offs.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Fri 02 Mar 2012, 3:02 pm

Sheffield Wednesday wasted no time with that appointment, part of me thinks they must have already had something close to arranged with Dave Jones to have had the contract sorted out that quickly. Strange comments from Darren Purse, they clash a lot with his comments on Megson's sacking: "You win a Sheffield derby moving up to third in the league and get sacked three days later. I don't understand football sometimes. Megson would have got Wednesday promoted this year. He loved the club and knows how to win promotion."

A good point David, sometimes think chairmen lose sight of reality when it comes to sacking managers. Only two teams can get automatic promotion and the race for second place is still close 7 points between United in 2nd and MK Dons in 5th and I wouldn't exactly say Charlton have the league sealed with a few of their upcoming opponents still chasing the playoffs or fighting for survival.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Fri 02 Mar 2012, 3:24 pm

Bloody hell! The insanity of the Premier League seems to be spreading through the lower divisions.

What happened to the days when fans and chairmen had realistic expectations of their club and promotion was seen as a terrific bonus, rather than a pre-requisite for the manager keeping his job?

I have absolutely nothing against Wednesday, but it would serve Mandaric right if they missed out on promotion.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 03 Mar 2012, 4:49 pm

and they have replaced him with dave jones.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sun 04 Mar 2012, 5:50 pm

While i do believe that Dave Jones is a better manager then Gary Megson , i do not understand sacking someone who was doing well at the right end of the table .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 05 Mar 2012, 12:48 pm

Understanding, consideration, a feel for the game, a sense of history, rapport with the fans, long-term planning, man-management skills. Don't expect to see ANY of these things from soccer boardrooms.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down