The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any thoughts on the Wales team to play Italy...???

+12
slartibartfast
Liam
englandglory4ever
Pot Noodle Miner
Messymesina
offload
gowales
TycroesOsprey
ScarletSpiderman
bedfordwelsh
ChequeredJersey
maestegmafia
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Any thoughts on the Wales team to play Italy...??? Empty Any thoughts on the Wales team to play Italy...???

Post by maestegmafia Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:02 pm

I believe Roberts is possibly a doubt maybe Williams or beck to start. Rees was out he might be vack. Priestland was a bit off form against England. To be honest we didn't have a good game last week. I think the second row lacked a bit of punch.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Any thoughts on the Wales team to play Italy...??? Empty Re: Any thoughts on the Wales team to play Italy...???

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:09 pm

Keep the same team but Williams in for Roberts.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Any thoughts on the Wales team to play Italy...??? Empty Re: Any thoughts on the Wales team to play Italy...???

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:13 pm

meas,

I would rest Roberts anyway give Williams a start.

Give Priestland another chance, think he deserves it.

Give Rees time off bench maybe but Owen had good game.

Thought I Evans had good game but AWJ lacked match fitness so maybe bring R Jones back in and give AWJ time off the bench.

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:14 pm

What about Rees in for Owens?

There is enough time for players to rest as we have a fortnight so no need to swap for recovery time.

Italy are a good team too. Will be a tough game we will need our best available team.

Any thoughts on the balance of the second row?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:15 pm

Beds mate

Sorry we must have posted at the same time

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:19 pm

No probs maes,

If I am totally honest I would probably rest Rees now until the summer tour let him get fully back up to speed but if Gatland wants to include him then hope its off the bench.

Its always a difficyult one to call and we nearly got caught out few seasons back against Italy by changing too many.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:45 pm

Personally I would go for

Jenkins
Owens (Rees on the bench)
Jones (James on the bench)
Evans
AW Jones (R Jones on bench)
Lydiate
Warburton (Tipuric on bench)
Faletau

Phillips (Webb/Ll Williams on bench)
Priestland
North
Hook (Beck/S Williams on bench)
Davies
Cuthbert
Halfpenny (Byrne/Li Williams on bench)

Then if all things are going well I would put Webb/Ll Williams on around 55-60, move Hook to fly half and put Beck/S Williams on in the centre around 60-65, and move Halfpenny to the wing for North/Cuthbert on around 65-70 with Byrne/Li Williams coming on to fullback. That way we can still have our consitancy of selection, whilst having a few options/try them out in the backs.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 01 Mar 2012, 2:39 pm

Hi SS

That's an interesting concept. Why hook over Williams or beck at inside centre? Creativity? I like your ideas.

And what about your thought s for the pack.

I disagree with Bedford regarding Rees I want to see him play do we have a chance to work out who will be the better option in La Crunch match in Cardiff.

But if Wales have a decent lead by half time and are playing good rugby as we displayed vs the scots and Irish then I think a bit of bench rotation would be a valuable asset.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Thu 01 Mar 2012, 2:50 pm

I think Webb is injured SS, not sure but I remember hearing somthing.

That inside centre spot is the tricky call both on the pitch and on the bench. Personally I would go for JD at 12 and Scott at 13 as for the Scarlets? Beck on the bench but he only covers one position. Hook if he is on the bench adds versatility so you can afford Beck. There is also he who shall not be named starting to show form but if Hook is there then Beck for the bench. wouldnt have Hook starting.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 01 Mar 2012, 2:51 pm

Hook is Hook, and to be honest I think he is Gatlands 3rd choice in the centre. Also he has not really seen much rugby in the 6Ns, with doubts being raised about Priestland I think that Hook will need some game time.

Yeah I think Smiler does need game time, however I also think that Owens deserves another chance to show what he can do. Maybe Rees coming on just around 50 mins or something. As for the rest of the pack, well I think we are not really going to need to experiment too much there, we know who is who and what is what there already, so I expect same as usual tactics.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 01 Mar 2012, 2:52 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:I think Webb is injured SS, not sure but I remember hearing somthing.

I think he is starting for your boys this weekend, but could be wrong.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Thu 01 Mar 2012, 2:58 pm

yeah just schecked wales online, he has been hurt recently though so may not be back to full fitness, Im quite happy with Lloyd at 9 cover for Phillips as he is such a different style of player. Webb is definitely one for the future but I also like Gareth Davies at teh scarlets.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 01 Mar 2012, 2:58 pm

I can't see them playing Hook at centre. It will be either Williams or Beck. They said before the Ireland game when Roberts was doubtful that they wouldn't have any worries in starting Beck.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu 01 Mar 2012, 3:00 pm

The best fit XV we have !!

If we have a first choice coming back put him on the bench otherwise same team. Hook wasn't second choice centre against England. Why should he start?
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 01 Mar 2012, 3:03 pm

offload wrote:The best fit XV we have !!

If we have a first choice coming back put him on the bench otherwise same team. Hook wasn't second choice centre against England. Why should he start?

Hook had chickenpox against England, that is why Steve Jones was called up. Hook has been on the bench for the other two matches, and was brought on when he lost players to injury. So even though I don't particularly rate him, I think he will be there.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu 01 Mar 2012, 3:08 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
offload wrote:The best fit XV we have !!

Hook had chickenpox against England, that is why Steve Jones was called up. Hook has been on the bench for the other two matches, and was brought on when he lost players to injury. So even though I don't particularly rate him, I think he will be there.

Fair point, I forgot that. I would still rather have Williams start than Hook though.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 01 Mar 2012, 3:13 pm

I like Scott Williams, he is a good player. I do have some reservations about him at the moment. Since the RWC he has a tendancy to try a bit too hard to show that he can do the job. A number of times I have seen him butcher chances in an attempt to go it alone. That said Jon Davies did exactly the same thing for a wee while after his first taste of international rugby, so I assume Scott will grow out of this.

We seem a bit blessed with centre options at teh moment as Ashley Beck was probably the stand out performer of the welsh regions during the RWC, so he probably deserves his shot now too.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 01 Mar 2012, 3:15 pm

I really want to see Beck start alongside Davies. I think Davies and Williams are too limited to start together and they don't have the raw power of Roberts to make up for it.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu 01 Mar 2012, 3:18 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:I like Scott Williams, he is a good player. I do have some reservations about him at the moment. Since the RWC he has a tendancy to try a bit too hard to show that he can do the job. A number of times I have seen him butcher chances in an attempt to go it alone. That said Jon Davies did exactly the same thing for a wee while after his first taste of international rugby, so I assume Scott will grow out of this.

We seem a bit blessed with centre options at teh moment as Ashley Beck was probably the stand out performer of the welsh regions during the RWC, so he probably deserves his shot now too.

Beck will get his chance, probably off the bench. I agree about Williams but I guess he will have had so much stick about not passing for that chance that he'll be fine. The best time to get a b*******g is when you've also done something good.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 01 Mar 2012, 3:39 pm

There is a very decent pool of talent to draw from. I imagine Williams will be the only change, but the bench will be used much quicker.

Shame about Webb being injured. Phillips good form has kept both reserve nines out of game time.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 01 Mar 2012, 5:39 pm

It is nice that we can have a disussion like this for a change, I do however think the we really need to develop at least another No 3 & 10 during the summer tour and AI games.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Messymesina Thu 01 Mar 2012, 6:21 pm

It's a great time to be a Welsh fan, with Italy coming up and a chance to regroup, whilst France and Ireland lock horns.

The biggest disappointment in the England game was our limited game plan. I feel we underestimated England. I would have loved to have seen the ball spread out wide and especially see Cuthbert have a run.

For the Italy game, we have to start with our best available side and scoreline permitting, make liberal use of substitutions. We have an extra day of recovery before the French game, plus the only mobile cryogenic facility in Britain to speed recovery too.

S. Williams to start in place of Roberts (don't risk him) Beck to the bench (glad no one has mentioned Henson) and please not Poxy Hook at 12. Continue with Owens as hooker. Priestland to continue. Same starting pack.

Messymesina

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 01 Mar 2012, 6:23 pm

There are quite a few young tightheads and flyhalfs in contention Beds...!

Joe Rees looks very good at the liberty, massive players. Needs to put more weight on but very athletic and incredibly strong. Also Rhodri Jones and Scott Andrews who have already been around the welsh Squad. Mitchell is still relatively young. Though seems to have gone down hill a bit at Exeter.

Tovey and Biggar have been fringe players then Jordan Williams and Matthew Morgan looking good as nippers

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 01 Mar 2012, 6:29 pm

Messymesina wrote:It's a great time to be a Welsh fan, with Italy coming up and a chance to regroup, whilst France and Ireland lock horns.

The biggest disappointment in the England game was our limited game plan. I feel we underestimated England. I would have loved to have seen the ball spread out wide and especially see Cuthbert have a run.

For the Italy game, we have to start with our best available side and scoreline permitting, make liberal use of substitutions. We have an extra day of recovery before the French game, plus the only mobile cryogenic facility in Britain to speed recovery too.

S. Williams to start in place of Roberts (don't risk him) Beck to the bench (glad no one has mentioned Henson) and please not Poxy Hook at 12. Continue with Owens as hooker. Priestland to continue. Same starting pack.

I think the way the game was played hinged on the north break in the first few minutes. If he had scored then the confidence would have lifted welsh spirit and the hwyl would have carried us forward to a more respectable score.

Credit to England for the way they played. But they are a limited team.

I hope Wales can get back to a far more fluent game vs Italy.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Messymesina Thu 01 Mar 2012, 6:40 pm

Welcome back Maesteg.
In the pub after the match, it was speculated that if Shane Williams had been put through as North was, Shane would have been aware of the attentions of Strettle and would have 'hurdled' the tap tackle and then danced around Foden.
For all of us it was a big dissapointment not to have seen North plough his way through Foden.
I agree Wales would have probably played with more fluency had North scored. But it was not the smashing performance JD1 predicted.

And agree, for a virtually scratch side with little experience England were superb. Lancaster has done a terrific job.

Messymesina

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 01 Mar 2012, 7:56 pm

maestegmafia wrote:There are quite a few young tightheads and flyhalfs in contention Beds...!

Joe Rees looks very good at the liberty, massive players. Needs to put more weight on but very athletic and incredibly strong. Also Rhodri Jones and Scott Andrews who have already been around the welsh Squad. Mitchell is still relatively young. Though seems to have gone down hill a bit at Exeter.

Tovey and Biggar have been fringe players then Jordan Williams and Matthew Morgan looking good as nippers

Maes,

I agree they are out there but we now need to bring them through to the next level. Tovey been knocking on door for while but still un-capped, Biggar had few chances but still not really made the break through.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 01 Mar 2012, 8:42 pm

Aye Tovey has had some bad luck with injuries.

We are lucky to have so many talented young players but some take a few years to find their feet. Priest land is a very good example, showed great talent as an 18 year old but it took five seasons as an understudy before he really impressed.

Tovey could well find his feet next year.

Will be interesting to see how Biggar is treated by the Ospreys now that they have had a big reshuffle.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:49 am

Article on Jamie Roberts fitness...!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17167450

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 02 Mar 2012, 7:44 pm

Hibbard has been released to the ospreys do i guess yet are confident of Mathew ree's fitness.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Noodle Miner Fri 02 Mar 2012, 8:45 pm

I would go with

Jenkins
Owens
Jones
awj
Evans
lydiate
warburton
faletau
Phillips
priestland
north
Davies
Williams
cuthbert
halfpenny

rees
James
r.Jones
tipuric
Webb
hook
beck/Byrne
Pot Noodle Miner
Pot Noodle Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Fri 02 Mar 2012, 8:47 pm

As long as you keep Walsh as the ref then you'll have no problem. Italy might as well stay at home if he refs it.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:46 pm

I would probably swap Rees for Owens and have Beck over Byrne.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:49 pm

englandglory4ever wrote:As long as you keep Walsh as the ref then you'll have no problem. Italy might as well stay at home if he refs it.

You actually think England lost to Wales because of a referee...?

Not because they can't manufacture tries.

They have the worst attack in the tournament. They survived their first two games on a solid defence and a lucky charge down.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:59 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
englandglory4ever wrote:As long as you keep Walsh as the ref then you'll have no problem. Italy might as well stay at home if he refs it.

You actually think England lost to Wales because of a referee...?

Not because they can't manufacture tries.

They have the worst attack in the tournament. They survived their first two games on a solid defence and a lucky charge down.

Maes there's no point, its a waste if your time getting involved. It was a very good game of test rugby, but both sides defended well, Wales just had that little bit extra to win, not bad considering we weren't at our fluent best. The Strettle chance was more down to 1/2p superhuman efforts to run from one side of the pitch to the other, knock himself unconscious to make the tackle, how about a bit of credit. He was my MOTM.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 02 Mar 2012, 10:37 pm

Halfpenny looks the real deal at fullback and as a goal kicker too.

Let's hope he and the other lads do more attacking than defending next weekend.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Fri 02 Mar 2012, 11:30 pm

I'm surprised that it hasn't been brought up that the TMO wasn't a neutral - he was a Scot!!!
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 02 Mar 2012, 11:36 pm

It really is going to take a horrible refereeing decision to cost Wales an important game so that everyone can have their laughs and get over this.

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Sat 03 Mar 2012, 8:43 am

Come on guys. You know the ref helped you no end. I can't remember a more incompetent display by a ref.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Sat 03 Mar 2012, 8:45 am

englandglory4ever wrote:Come on guys. You know the ref helped you no end. I can't remember a more incompetent display by a ref.

laughing

Nice try mate.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sat 03 Mar 2012, 8:47 am

I thought Steve Walsh was the best ref in that round.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 03 Mar 2012, 2:00 pm

I bet Steve Walsh didnt pay for a drink all night...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 03 Mar 2012, 2:02 pm

maestegmafia wrote:I bet Steve Walsh didnt pay for a drink all night...!
Being a recovering alcoholic I would imagine not.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 03 Mar 2012, 2:09 pm

the western mail wrote:THOUSANDS of Wales fans have been having their say on Wales' triumphant Six Nations stars over the past few weeks on WalesOnline, and we can now reveal the fans' player ratings for the 2012 Six Nations so far.

Leigh Halfpenny has been singled out for special praise by defence coach Shaun Edwards, and it would seem the public agree, with the Blues full-back currently heading the leaderboard with an average rating of 8.29 out of 10 from the first three matches.

Just behind Halfpenny is Scarlets wing George North (8.10), who was an early leader following his demolition job on Ireland in the opening match.

Jonathan Davies, Sam Warburton and Dan Lydiate are the next three in line, with Ryan Jones, who was dropped to the bench for last week's win at Twickenham, making up the top six.

Here's the full ratings (out of 10) and leaderboard for the Top 10

1. Leigh Halfpenny: 8.29

2. George North: 8.10

3. Jonathan Davies: 7.99

4. Sam Warburton: 7.95

5. Dan Lydiate: 7.88

6. Ryan Jones: 7.79

7. Toby Faletau: 7.64

8. Mike Phillips: 7.45

9. Adam Jones: 7.44

10. Gethin Jenkins: 7.40

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Sat 03 Mar 2012, 2:19 pm

englandglory4ever wrote:Come on guys. You know the ref helped you no end. I can't remember a more incompetent display by a ref.

Sweet
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 03 Mar 2012, 2:40 pm

slartibartfast wrote:

Sweet

Situation reversed and he would be acusing a welshman of whining about the red and finding excuses...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 03 Mar 2012, 2:44 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Halfpenny looks the real deal at fullback and as a goal kicker too.

Let's hope he and the other lads do more attacking than defending next weekend.

Halfpenny is one player I have player envy over, together with Warbs. Class player
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Noodle Miner Sat 03 Mar 2012, 7:03 pm

Ryan Jones has been playing well it'll be interesting to see whether he starts against Italy. if not id like to see him come on around the 55th minute mark preferably in the back row
Pot Noodle Miner
Pot Noodle Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 03 Mar 2012, 11:39 pm

Pot Noodle Miner wrote:Ryan Jones has been playing well it'll be interesting to see whether he starts against Italy. if not id like to see him come on around the 55th minute mark preferably in the back row

I agree I thought ryan was superb when he came on. Great ball carrying, blew the English away.

I would still look to start with AW Jones for the next game, he needs time on the pitch. An in form AWJ will be a huge asset against the French. Their front five look awesome.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 04 Mar 2012, 1:03 am

The Italy game is about composure and continuity of form.

Ireland put 40 past them and so should Wales. So often in the 6N the lower team strikes back and for Wales to maintain form a high margin is a must. Theyve shown good levels of consistency so far and now its about team standards, knowing how to score tries, attack the jugular, put them away.

No excuses for a mediocre result if theyre to be taken seriously as a great team. Great teams know how to finish off minor teams. KO them with 20 minutes to spare.

Are they up to that challenge?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 04 Mar 2012, 4:03 am

Taylor I think Wales are up to it. Similar situation in our pool is last autumns RWC in NZ. We beat Samoa in a very tough game but had to thrash Namibia and Fiji more to prove a point to ourselves than anything else.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next