The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England to have Canterbury kit in the future

+15
stlowe
eirebilly
doctor_grey
Adam D
RubyGuby
HERSH
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
ChequeredJersey
kiakahaaotearoa
gowales
mpc28
HammerofThunor
miteyironpaw
yappysnap
19 posters

Go down

England to have Canterbury kit in the future Empty England to have Canterbury kit in the future

Post by yappysnap Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:30 pm

Added by Adam D - press release about it from Canterbury

Canterbury Signs Four Year Partnership with the Rugby Football Union

Canterbury, the world’s leading rugby brand, today announced that it has secured a long term partnership to become the official kit partner to the Rugby Football Union (RFU).

The four year agreement will see Canterbury supplying kit to the England Senior, Saxons, Sevens, Women’s and age grade representative teams from September 2012 to beyond the Rugby World Cup in 2015.

The partnership brings together two brands with great rugby heritage and tradition, in addition to an unrivalled passion for the sport and its fans. For the RFU it also represents the largest kit partnership in the Union’s history, allowing continued investment into all levels of the game which is at the heart of the strategic focus for both organisations.

Chris Stephenson, CEO of Canterbury, said:
“The partnership with the Rugby Football Union is the perfect combination of two brands steeped in rugby history that rugby fans know and respect. We are excited at the prospect of developing this relationship and enhancing the awareness of rugby to a wider audience with the aim of increasing participation levels.

With over a century of experience in producing the highest quality playing apparel, designed specifically to maximise performance, we pride ourselves on producing the strongest, most technologically advanced kits available.”

Sophie Goldschmidt, RFU Chief Commercial Officer, said:
“We are delighted about this new partnership with Canterbury. The brand is recognised by players and fans alike and its heritage in rugby is unrivalled. The excellent quality of playing apparel Canterbury is famed for will also ensure the England teams have the best technical kit available to assist them on and off the pitch. This new exciting partnership will allow the Rugby Football Union to further invest in the game.”

Just read that the RFU have ended their deal with Nike as the supplier of England team kits at all levels. A new 4 year deal has been agreed with Canterbury.

The supplier change will take place as of September this year:

The Rugby Football Union described the four-year agreement, reportedly worth £5m a year, as "the largest kit partnership in the union's history" and it will see Canterbury supply all England national teams with playing and training wear from September this year.

Full story just here http://www.espnscrum.com/six-nations-2012/rugby/story/160451.html

So what do you think?

I have mixed feelings about this as although I do like a lot of the Canterbury club kit and their actual rugby kit is very good, their international jersies are often very busy and they seem to love piping and paneling all over the shirts. Just look at scotlands kit and SA's shirts.

Still at least we hopefully won't have any more of those "clever" Nike marketing tricks.

Just to let you know that we have a T-Shirt to give away in a competition as part of the launch. We are the only forum/ blog who has been given this freebie so thanks to Canterbury! https://www.606v2.com/t25092-canterbury-t-shirt-up-for-grabs (Adam D)

Spoiler:

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

England to have Canterbury kit in the future Empty Re: England to have Canterbury kit in the future

Post by miteyironpaw Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:32 pm

Oh no! mad So England will be running out with three kiwis on the shirt? This is a disaster. rose broken
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

England to have Canterbury kit in the future Empty Re: England to have Canterbury kit in the future

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:37 pm

Perhaps they promised not to make any grand slam videos until AFTER one had been won. Or maybe they're getting Dan Carter to sleep in all the kits for a few weeks to see if it'll pass on some of his ability.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by mpc28 Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:44 pm

miteyironpaw wrote:Oh no! mad So England will be running out with three kiwis on the shirt? This is a disaster. rose broken

England will be running out with Kiwis in the shirt so a few Kiwis on the shirt wont harm surely! Run

mpc28

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:47 pm

warning
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:57 pm

Canterbury shirts are ugly in my opinion

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 02 Mar 2012, 3:38 pm

As a Cantabrian I take umbrage at that comment. There´s nothing ugly about Canterbury. Even our cathedral without its spire holds a graceful and proud desolate look. How dare you sir!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 02 Mar 2012, 3:41 pm

Who cares any way? Other than the money does it really matter what kit they have on? They could where sky blue shirts with pink flowers for all I care. I know some people take it very seriously but I always thought that was a wind up

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 02 Mar 2012, 3:48 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:As a Cantabrian I take umbrage at that comment. There´s nothing ugly about Canterbury. Even our cathedral without its spire holds a graceful and proud desolate look. How dare you sir!
thumbsup

It was a beautiful area full of friendly people when I visited. Christchurch is a nice town with a slight Cathedral City/Cambridgey vibe to it which I enjoyed. The ridiculous tire marks on the roads from all the street racing was less impressive though
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 02 Mar 2012, 3:49 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:As a Cantabrian I take umbrage at that comment. There´s nothing ugly about Canterbury. Even our cathedral without its spire holds a graceful and proud desolate look. How dare you sir!

Indeed.

What concerns me though is Adidas blew CCC's bids for the ABs jersey out of the water. And yet CCC can afford to sponsor England Whistle

(there's a couple of ways you can spin that comment Wink )
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 02 Mar 2012, 3:51 pm

Perhaps CCC decided to put their money towards England and had to save up.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 02 Mar 2012, 3:54 pm

They also can keep the old black shirts and paint on an English rose for the away strip. Cost cutting. More money for the recruitment company and their quest for the right MBA candidate to take England forward into the new millennium and build the England brand. Whistle

In Siena they have horse races. When you don't have much of a history Chequered, you need to find your culture in more modern areas. Those boy racers are our modern day gladiators. I think you missed out on the nobility and tradition of their exploits.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 02 Mar 2012, 3:56 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:Who cares any way? Other than the money does it really matter what kit they have on? They could where sky blue shirts with pink flowers for all I care. I know some people take it very seriously but I always thought that was a wind up

So you actually just want us to wear the Stade Francais kit? Have you seen how they're doing?!!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 02 Mar 2012, 3:57 pm

I love canterbury kit, its cut right for one, rugby players and fans can be big buggers, Nike never understood that.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 02 Mar 2012, 3:58 pm

So you're fat Hersh, is that the sausage roll thing thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Fri 02 Mar 2012, 3:59 pm

HERSH wrote:I love canterbury kit, its cut right for one, rugby players and fans can be big buggers, Nike never understood that.

And let's face it, the Nike kit was hideous. And the "England All Black" idea was stupid and embarrassing, especially when the kit started falling apart on the field.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 02 Mar 2012, 4:00 pm

yappysnap wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:Who cares any way? Other than the money does it really matter what kit they have on? They could where sky blue shirts with pink flowers for all I care. I know some people take it very seriously but I always thought that was a wind up

So you actually just want us to wear the Stade Francais kit? Have you seen how they're doing?!!

I didn't say I wanted them to wear that kit. I said I didn't care what they wore. The SF kit was used as an example.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 02 Mar 2012, 4:00 pm

RubyGuby wrote:So you're fat Hersh, is that the sausage roll thing thumbsup

Barrell chested, I was a Prop!
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 02 Mar 2012, 4:01 pm

So fat then. Whistle

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 02 Mar 2012, 4:03 pm

I prefer the term big boned! Whistle cake egg guinness cider cake cake OK
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 02 Mar 2012, 4:08 pm

That´s a pretty big bone in your arse then. Whistle

Anyway better to be barrel chested than pigeon chested mate. Hug

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 02 Mar 2012, 4:32 pm

Just to draw your attention to the fact that the OP has been changed to let you know that Canterbury have given us a free Tshirt to give away as part of the announcement:

Spoiler:

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 02 Mar 2012, 4:35 pm

That´s typical of Canterbury. We give and we give and ask for nothing in return. Whether it be Richie who gets straight back to his feet after a tackle and gives it his all to get the ball or the good folk of Canterbury giving away a shirt. Makes you proud to wear red and black. Actually, that might be the new colours for the English jersey...

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Fri 02 Mar 2012, 4:37 pm

Aren't all the Kiwi kits made by Germans Kia? Where's the patrotism in that? Leave it to us English to lend a hand to you economy and help you get back on your feet! (remember us when we play you later in the year)
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 02 Mar 2012, 4:55 pm

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 02 Mar 2012, 5:38 pm

Where´s the money in that you mean.

Canterbury is no longer a NZ company in any event. But it has the best name.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 02 Mar 2012, 5:46 pm

gowales wrote:Canterbury shirts are ugly in my opinion
I have to agree. Most of those Canterbury jerseys with those god-awful half collars are an embarrassment. The material quality is usually quite good. So as long as the jerseys appear normal, then that this should be the non-issue it is supposed to be.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 02 Mar 2012, 5:52 pm

I like Canterbury jerseys myself Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 02 Mar 2012, 6:30 pm

You like those collars?

This almost bacame all out warfare at my club here in New Jersey. Last year, someone ordered jerseys for the men's teams and the U15s team. They were real shiny, looking like something Steve Walsh's hooker might wear. And those collars almost split the club down the middle. Half liked them, half did not. You can tell which side I was on. The more this was discussed, the worse the battles became. And our colours are simple, just black and red stripes.

So I got the assignment to order the next set of jerseys. Since I am in charge, they will have a full and proper collar. Ordering from Raging Bull. My two sons now think I am old and out of date - they wanted no collar at all.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Fri 02 Mar 2012, 7:33 pm

The collars split your club down the middle?
Apparently the new collars are unbreakable and I like them but don't think their kits fit England's colours

Back to top Go down

Post by stlowe Fri 02 Mar 2012, 7:34 pm

I'm glad that we've moved on from Nike, the only good shirt they ever did for England was the centenary one that they produced a handful of replicas of and then refused to do more despite the huge public demand. The Tequila Sunrise shirt they have forced the Sevens side to wear is just plain criminal and something they should never be forgiven for.

Canterbury have historically been my favourite manufacturers, but I'm really not a fan of the current ones. I think Adidas make the best shirts at present and Under Armour the worst (which I find strange because I like most of their other sporting gear and own a number of pieces, but that bra like design with insert on the chest is just wrong).

Last edited by stlowe on Sat 03 Mar 2012, 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total

stlowe

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 02 Mar 2012, 7:40 pm

Nice

https://s1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii620/HERSH606/hersh%20england%20kit/
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:16 pm

123456789 wrote:Apparently the new collars are unbreakable and I like them but don't think their kits fit England's colours

Their kit doesn't suit English colours? Don't quite get that. A combination of two colours - White and red?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 02 Mar 2012, 10:21 pm

Good old England. Not happy with capping Kiwi ringers, then going for an All Black kit, they then go for an NZ sponsor. All the best NZ Barbarians. I hear next step is to call "Fortress HQ", the Steinlager Stadium.

Last edited by Risca Rev on Fri 02 Mar 2012, 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 02 Mar 2012, 11:27 pm

Unbreakable collars?
Underwire bras built into the jerseys?
Maybe the props need this, but the rest?

I also liked the centenary jerseys. Looked great.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodstock Sat 03 Mar 2012, 7:21 am

I think it is shameful that the ABs got a German shirt (made in China) rather than a homemade shirt (made in China).
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 04 Mar 2012, 8:12 am

HammerofThunor wrote:Who cares any way? Other than the money does it really matter what kit they have on? They could where sky blue shirts with pink flowers for all I care.
I think James Haskell has already tried to make those the team colours. Run
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Sun 04 Mar 2012, 1:29 pm

Risca Rev wrote:they then go for an NZ sponsor.

Apart from it's been owned by JD Sports and based in Stockport for a number of years. As has Kooga.

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down