The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rana Naved ul Hasan denies match fixing

Go down

Rana Naved ul Hasan denies match fixing Empty Rana Naved ul Hasan denies match fixing

Post by Adam D Mon 05 Mar 2012, 9:28 pm

Former Pakistan pace bowler Rana Naved ul Hasan speaking with PakPassion.net denied any involvement in any kind of spot fixing related activities in the Bangladesh Premier League (BPL).

The issue had surfaced due to actions of Police in Bangladesh who arrested a Pakistani, Sajid Khan, on suspicion of spot-fixing during a key match in the country's recently completed inaugural Twenty20 cricket league.

Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) officials challenged Khan as he was frantically making phone calls from the stands during the crucial phases of a Bangladesh Premier League (BPL) encounter and a court in the Bangladeshi capital Dhaka remanded him into custody

34 year old Rana stated “The authorities in Bangladesh spoke with me during the BPL about what had occurred and showed me a picture of the man they had arrested. I informed them that I recognised the man in the photograph having met him at a domestic match in Karachi last year. That day after the domestic match in Pakistan he had approached me along with many other individuals as a fan. After that day I never saw him again or heard from him at all. I provided the Bangladeshi authorities with the information they needed from me and as far as I am concerned there is nothing more to it. I have no idea how he obtained my email address.”

Rana who was a member of the Dhaka Gladiators squad – winners of the inaugural edition of the BPL - praised the BCB for a successful tournament and feels that the tournament could become a major part of the international calendar in future.

“The BPL was very enjoyable, I had a really good time and it was a fantastic tournament to be part of. There were players from all over the world and considering this was the first such tournament in Bangladesh the organisers and everyone involved in the tournament should be very pleased. I feel that the BPL could become an integral part of the international cricketing calendar in years to come.”

“It was good to be playing alongside and against a number of Pakistani cricketers who were all good ambassadors for the country. Some of them performed really well in Bangladesh, including Mohammad Sami, Ahmed Shehzad, Imran Nazir, Kamran Akmal and Sohail Tanvir.”

“Naturally I’m very proud that I was a member of the winning Dhaka Gladiators squad. To go into the first tournament and to lift the trophy was just marvellous. I’ll be looking to play in the BPL next time around too, whichever team that is for.”

The BCB hopes that the BPL can help in its plan to develop young cricketing talent in Bangladesh and Rana is of the opinion that the BPL will undoubtedly help raise the standard of cricket in Bangladesh.

“The enthusiasm in Bangladesh for cricket is amazing. The step that the BCB have taken in organising the BPL is a bold one and will certainly benefit their cricket. The local talent received a good opportunity to play alongside and against some very good international cricketers during the BPL and that can only help them with their development. Undoubtedly the experience will have been a valuable one for the cricketers of Bangladesh and I’m certain that holding tournaments such as the BPL will help the BCB produce good cricketers and cricketers who can perform competitively in international cricket.”

“The television audience for the BPL was huge around the world and it will have really raised the profile of Bangladeshi cricket. The local players did well and I’m sure they will take a lot of positives away from this tournament.”

“One area that tournaments such as these really improve within the local talent in is the fielding department. Look at the standard of fielding in the Indian side after the IPL tournaments, it’s improved so much.”

With the influx of Twenty20 tournaments around the world, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) have also been looking to organise the Pakistan Premier League (PPL) and Rana is of the opinion that the PCB would be wise to introduce such a tournament, even if it meant hosting the tournament outside Pakistan.

“I believe the PCB have been looking to organise a tournament similar to the BPL and IPL. Unfortunately the problem we have at the moment is that international teams are reluctant to come and play cricket in Pakistan and fans in Pakistan are being deprived of high quality cricket.”

“Hopefully once Bangladesh have toured Pakistan soon, it will mean that other countries will also start touring Pakistan. Once international tours start taking place in Pakistan, then that will pave the way for tournaments such as the PPL to commence. If it cannot be organised in Pakistan, then yes the overseas option is also one to think about.”

The National One Day Cup division one commences next week and Rana will once again line up for WAPDA. Speaking about the standard of the domestic 50 over tournament Rana thinks that the tournament will be extremely competitive this time around.

“It will be a high standard of cricket, a very tough competition. All of the best departmental teams are in Division One and I’m confident that WAPDA can do very well this time around. We reached the semi finals last time around and I think we can go one better this season. We’ve got a good blend of youth and experience and I’m particularly excited about some of the WAPDA boys who have been promoted from our Under 19 side. It’s good that youth will be given this opportunity and I’m sure these young boys will do well.”

Rana was the highest wicket taker in this year’s Big Bash League taking 15 wickets for the Hobart Hurricanes and he feels that the standard of the tournament just gets better and better. In addition he hopes to be back for the Hobart Hurricanes next season.

“I’ve been fortunate to play all over the world, but for me Australian domestic cricket is amongst the toughest in the world. The Big Bash just goes from strength to strength and I was really pleased with my performance this time around for Hobart having taken 15 wickets. I’m really proud that I was the highest wicket taker in the competition, especially as there were a lot of high quality bowlers taking part.”

“I love playing cricket in Australia, the atmosphere at the grounds is brilliant and I hope to be back there next year for the Big Bash, hopefully once again with Hobart. We are in talks with Hobart and hopefully things will be sorted out soon.”

Rana last played for Pakistan over 2 years ago in a Twenty20 international in Australia. Given Pakistan’s recent dismal performances in the shorter formats, some observers are keen for Rana to be given a recall and he is of the opinion that he still has the necessary skills and fitness for international cricket.

“I was hopeful after the series in Bangladesh last year that I might be given a chance. My name was being mentioned but it never materialised, but never mind, I wasn’t disheartened or disappointed. I know that if I am recalled I will perform to the best of my ability and won’t let anyone down. I’m fit and ready whenever the selectors need me and I hope that I’m given another chance by the selectors.”

Rana has previously represented Sussex and Yorkshire in County cricket and in the upcoming season will be playing for Derbyshire in the Flt20. He turned down the chance to join Hampshire or return to Sussex, where he has played for six seasons and stated “I’m really looking forward to playing for Derbyshire. It’s an honour for me to play for them and I’m very grateful for the chance to play for Derbyshire. I hope that it will be a successful season for Derbyshire and I.”

Source - www.PakPassion.net

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down