The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jon Clarke

+2
Geordie
B91212
6 posters

Go down

Jon Clarke Empty Jon Clarke

Post by B91212 Tue 06 Mar 2012, 4:56 pm

Apologies if this has been done elsewhere but Worcester Warriors have signed Jon Clarke for next season from Northampton. Being a Saints fan I'm a little disappointed as he was a decent squad player who was first choice 13 until the arrival of Pisi. Great step and the ability to play 12, 13 & 15. Potentially could have challenged for international recognition earlier in his career but injuries at crucial times stopped that in it's tracks and he is certainly significantly slower now than he was when he first broke into the first team. Sorry to see him leave and wish him all the best but at 28 he needs first team rugby and the Saints management couldn't guarantee him that. Be interesting to see where he lines up for the Warriors as 13 always looked his best position but Grove looks handy there whenever I've seen him.

With Downey also returning to Ireland it leaves the Saints very short of center options unless a couple of players arrive close season. A Tom May and Pisi midfield doesn't really fill me with much confidence going forward.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Jon Clarke Empty Re: Jon Clarke

Post by Geordie Tue 06 Mar 2012, 10:50 pm

I think prior to his injuries he was a cert for a cap...a real awesome player...but he just seemed to lose that something after the injury...

With regards to the current midfield...whats the crack with Ansbro..is he injured or somewhere else?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Tue 06 Mar 2012, 10:52 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:I think prior to his injuries he was a cert for a cap...a real awesome player...but he just seemed to lose that something after the injury...

With regards to the current midfield...whats the crack with Ansbro..is he injured or somewhere else?
Moved to London Irish at the end of last season. Not had a good year with injuries after returning from the world cup.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 07 Mar 2012, 8:13 am

Aw i didnt realise he was there...always thought he was a good player.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 07 Mar 2012, 8:44 am

In the modern game, where caps are thrown out like confetti, Jon Clarke is one of those players in the rather small "should have been capped group."

(Craig Gillies - assuming he does not retire ion the summer - is another in that group and will be clarke's team mate next season)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 07 Mar 2012, 9:04 am

As a Saints fan, I always thought Clarke was a real good, solid player. Playing for Saints, there were still flashes of that 'could have been' form, and usually just at the time when needed. The club and supporters will miss him. Worcester will be getting someone who can really make their midfield better.

For Saints, hopefully there is someone else coming. And knowing Saints, someone will. But, the centre pairing of Clarke and Downey worked very well. Unspactacular, but always going forwards and solid. Will miss them both.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 07 Mar 2012, 10:03 am

Saints better get moving quickly then, Tonks the utility back up is going along with last years two first choice centres. Not a lot of centre options going to be left so they'll need to be spend.

Whitten at Ulster, Fitzpatrick at Newcastle (if they go down), Daly at Wasps (don't think he's signed a new deal) or Powell from Sarries could all be options.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 07 Mar 2012, 10:11 am

It's funny but when Saints were struggling over the last two seasons alot of that blame was laid at the feet of the centres for being almost totaly uncreative.

Yes Clarke was a solid club player but a club like Saints chasing silverware should be able to do a lot better and in Pisi they have a far better 13, it's just a 12 they need now. Then they have May as cover.

Do Saints have a full time academy set up and if so do they have any centres coming through? Of all the top clubs Saints seem to bring on the least number of academy players (just my view I haven't actually checked stats).

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 07 Mar 2012, 10:12 am

Oh just occured to me, Henson should be free soon and he plays 12/13 and 10...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 07 Mar 2012, 10:45 am

10/12 axis of Lamb and Henson...

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 07 Mar 2012, 10:52 am

Saints acknowledeged a couple of years ago that their academy was not performing as it should, and poached Dusty Hare from Tigers.

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/northampton_saints_dusty_hare_will_take_us_to_a_new_level_mallinder_1_895746

As always these things take time to develop.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Wed 07 Mar 2012, 4:21 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Saints acknowledeged a couple of years ago that their academy was not performing as it should, and poached Dusty Hare from Tigers.

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/northampton_saints_dusty_hare_will_take_us_to_a_new_level_mallinder_1_895746

As always these things take time to develop.
There is evidence that this is starting to happen. Heywood, Elliott & Nutley have all forced there way into the first 15 at some point this season and prop Alex Waller has been around for a couple of years and is still only 21. Then there is another group just starting to push for recognition but as ever with these players until they get a few games it's just speculation as to if they will make it or not. One thing JM did well was to sign (or poach depending on your point of view) some good young English talent from other clubs such as Callum Clark and James Craig to try and replace the lost generation of home produced players so to speak.

There are strong rumours that Paul Diggin may also follow Clarke to the Warriors as a like for like replacement for Marcus Garvey. Although a Northampton born Saints man through and through his opportunities, like Clarke's have been limited this year.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down