The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Surface Does Tennis Need More Of?

+11
Josiah Maiestas
Henman Bill
Mad for Chelsea
Jahu
LuvSports!
Chydremion
JuliusHMarx
amritia3ee
Tenez
socal1976
hawkeye
15 posters

Go down

What surface does tennis need more of?

What Surface Does Tennis Need More Of? Vote_lcap64%What Surface Does Tennis Need More Of? Vote_rcap 64% 
[ 16 ]
What Surface Does Tennis Need More Of? Vote_lcap4%What Surface Does Tennis Need More Of? Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
What Surface Does Tennis Need More Of? Vote_lcap0%What Surface Does Tennis Need More Of? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
What Surface Does Tennis Need More Of? Vote_lcap28%What Surface Does Tennis Need More Of? Vote_rcap 28% 
[ 7 ]
What Surface Does Tennis Need More Of? Vote_lcap4%What Surface Does Tennis Need More Of? Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 25

What Surface Does Tennis Need More Of? Empty What Surface Does Tennis Need More Of?

Post by hawkeye Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:48 pm

Lot's of discussion about what surface is condusive to the most entertaining tennis. Now its your turn to choose.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

What Surface Does Tennis Need More Of? Empty Re: What Surface Does Tennis Need More Of?

Post by socal1976 Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:02 pm

I went with Grass, I think that we really need a proper grass court circuit on tour. What I mean by that I would love to see a 250, 500, 1000, and then wimbeldon all on grass. I think this would be an opportunity for the variety people so crave on this site while remaining in the traditional confines of the game.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

What Surface Does Tennis Need More Of? Empty Re: What Surface Does Tennis Need More Of?

Post by Tenez Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:04 pm

I would have gone for grass ideally but grass will always represent a small portion of teh calendar. This is is why I chose fast HC cause they are the bulk surface of the year.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:12 pm

Tenez

You can choose grass if you want. Money is no object and I'm giving you the power to change the calender if you so desire...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by amritia3ee Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:13 pm

Clay.
amritia3ee
amritia3ee

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:18 pm

Wood (because I've never seen it)

Perspex, with glowing lines that light up if the ball lands on them - cool!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:08 pm

Pure concrete would be fun

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:29 pm

Ice, Mud, snow or water any will do Very Happy

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:05 pm

Add Sand to the mix.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:52 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Wood (because I've never seen it)

I have. stade de Coubertin in Paris. It used to be my school's gymnasium when I was a teen. And this is where France (Noah) chose to play Poland (Fibak) for a DC encounter. Varnished wood is crazy fast. I think France won but they took wood out of a possible surface after that DC.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:21 pm

how about Carpet? not enough tournaments on it IMO, certainly no biggies. A longer grass court season would be nice too (if it's proper grass obviously, not just an extension of the clay court season with lower bounces the first few days...).

I think we have quite enough hardcourt tennis as it is...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:26 pm

I went for grass. The grass "season" is pathetnically short.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:26 pm

Yes I agree about enough hard courts. ...especially IW and Miami....over 4 weeks!!! I don't like those tournaments.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:36 pm

Using 2010 as an example, 58% of tournaments were hard and only 9% grass. I did a fantasy calendar where I doubled the amount of grass.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B-Zh_4cusk3oYTA4NTllZTktNDNlYy00NDNlLWFmOTktZWY1OGQ4OTYxMzQ2&hl=en&pli=1&authkey=CNCFiOUG

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:36 pm

Plenty of hardcourts. I would just like to see more of a range of speeds on them, i.e. a few speeded up.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:37 pm

Hill slope.

with Dolgopolov on the top of it. OK
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:45 pm

The goat prefers grass.

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:06 pm

Tenez wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:Wood (because I've never seen it)

I have. stade de Coubertin in Paris. It used to be my school's gymnasium when I was a teen. And this is where France (Noah) chose to play Poland (Fibak) for a DC encounter. Varnished wood is crazy fast. I think France won but they took wood out of a possible surface after that DC.

That would be interesting wood used to be a relatively common playing surface. It should lend itself to being a good surface for play, sort of like hardcourt but slicker.

Tenez wood Fed be the best woodcourt player of this era?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:07 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Hill slope.

with Dolgopolov on the top of it. OK

He should be at the other end, slicing to death the top of the hill.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:15 pm

socal1976 wrote:
Fed would do a Rosewall if wood was the surface. AT 45 he would still be a favourite on that surface.

It's not fast....It's diabolical. Returning is like volleying.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:45 pm

Tenez wrote:
socal1976 wrote:
Fed would do a Rosewall if wood was the surface. AT 45 he would still be a favourite on that surface.

It's not fast....It's diabolical. Returning is like volleying.

I loved wood and played quite a bit on it, both Tennis and Badminton. It is the fastest surface that I know. The hand-eye coordination required is mind boggling.

If I was younger, I would want to play Tenez on wood. 30 minutes on wood with a wooden racquet, and some amazing shots could be played.

Wood is also gentler on joints compared to hard courts, imvho.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by tammywilson52 Tue May 22, 2012 12:27 am

While there may be an overabundance of HC courts, don't you think its one of if not the best tennis surfaces to play on? I'll give grass courts a close second because the season is super short for them. Would love to be able to play grass all year long.

tammywilson52

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue May 22, 2012 3:18 am

Has to be more grass given the current paucity and there's a major on it!
HC may give even bounces but it's a killer for the body...having played on them all weekend I can certainly vouch for that!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Tue May 22, 2012 10:09 am

None of the above.

Carpet. There is no carpet on tour anymore and also annoyingly more people use hard surfaces for home use as they don't get as dirty and are less maintenance. The only place you find carpet these days is Allied Carpets. Or a souk in Morocco.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down