The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greatest fight changing punch

+8
eddyfightfan
Bob
88Chris05
bellchees
azania
J.Benson II
HumanWindmill
LivinginItaly
12 posters

Go down

Greatest fight changing punch Empty Greatest fight changing punch

Post by LivinginItaly Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:19 pm

What is the greatest fight changing punch you have ever seen?

For me the uppercut thrown by Eubank at the end of the 11th round against Watson. Eubank had just been knocked down, and seemed exhausted and destined to lose, but somehow turned the fight on its head with one awesome uppercut.

Over to you ...

Links of the punches would also be interesting.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Greatest fight changing punch Empty Re: Greatest fight changing punch

Post by HumanWindmill Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:27 pm

In modern times I'd probably plump for Jackson's punch from nowhere which dropped Herol Graham as though he had been shot.

Going back a bit, there's Robinson's desperate left hook that set up a volley of punches to wrest the middleweight title back from Randolph Turpin in 1951. The fight was close on the cards, and Robinson was in danger of being stopped with an ugly gash over the eye, but in true championship spirit he found a way to win.

At a pinch I suppose we could include Marciano's spectacular kayo of Walcott first time out. Rocky needed the kayo to win, and while there had already been signs that he might find his range and put Walcott away it was getting mighty late in the day when he finally nailed him.

Don't have links to hand, but I dare say that they'll all be found at youtube.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:28 pm

Harrison Vs Sprott II
(someone was going to mention it so I thought I might as well be the first)

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:31 pm

The left hook thrown by Edwin Rosario on Camacho Snr. That punch may not have changed the fight but it changed Camacho#s style of fighting permanently.

I'll and the right thrown by Mike Weaver on Big John Tate 45 seconds to go in the final round of their heavyweight title clash. Weaver, miles behing detonated and KO'd Tate.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:40 pm

azania wrote:The left hook thrown by Edwin Rosario on Camacho Snr. That punch may not have changed the fight but it changed Camacho#s style of fighting permanently.

I'll and the right thrown by Mike Weaver on Big John Tate 45 seconds to go in the final round of their heavyweight title clash. Weaver, miles behing detonated and KO'd Tate.

Must say that I like J Benson's pick !

azania, as a Holmes fan I'm sure you'll remember when the shoe was very much on the other foot for Mike Weaver.

Challenging Holmes for the title, Weaver was doing extremely well against a sluggish and - off form Holmes, and it really looked as though there was a shock on the cards. Suddenly Holmes, not normally known as being a concussive puncher, pulled out - I believe it was an uppercut, though I haven't seen it for years - an absolute belter which nearly kayoed Weaver on the spot. A round later and it was all over, with Larry getting himself out of jail, courtesy of that one big punch which turned the fight on its head.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:43 pm

Lol, had forgotten about the harrison punch on sprott! Not only changed that fight, but enabled the awesome Haye v harrison bout to take place Cry

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:46 pm

Sprott/Harrison 1 also had a fight changing punch. Just as Sprott was about to get KO'd he unleashed a heck of a shot that made Audley even more gunshy afterwards.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:47 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:
azania wrote:The left hook thrown by Edwin Rosario on Camacho Snr. That punch may not have changed the fight but it changed Camacho#s style of fighting permanently.

azania, as a Holmes fan I'm sure you'll remember when the shoe was very much on the other foot for Mike Weaver.

Challenging Holmes for the title, Weaver was doing extremely well against a sluggish and - off form Holmes, and it really looked as though there was a shock on the cards. Suddenly Holmes, not normally known as being a concussive puncher, pulled out - I believe it was an uppercut, though I haven't seen it for years - an absolute belter which nearly kayoed Weaver on the spot. A round later and it was all over, with Larry getting himself out of jail, courtesy of that one big punch which turned the fight on its head.

I remember that.

For me it was the Rosario punch. I was a massive Camacho fan and that fight changed his style.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:28 pm

------------------------------

Thanks Windy

I have to admit that I'm feeling a bit embarrassed that a punch thrown by Audley happened to be the first one that came to my head when I saw the OP's question.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:38 pm

Foreman vs Moorer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0SONoA5L1g

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:39 pm

J.Benson II wrote:Must say that I like J Benson's pick !

------------------------------

Thanks Windy

I have to admit that I'm feeling a bit embarrassed that a punch thrown by Audley happened to be the first one that came to my head when I saw the OP's question.

Haha !

You can always claim that it was the devil on your shoulder inciting you to a bit of mischief, J Benson. That sort of subtle side step has spared me an embarrassment or two.

Very nice to see that you made it over, by the way. I know you've been here a while now but it's the first time we've each contributed to the same thread at the same time so it's my first opportunity to say that I'm pleased you're here. To have the best of all the familiar ex 606ers keeps a nice continuity, in my opinion.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:32 pm

I think the left hook by James Toney which almost took Michael Nunn's head off could be considered. Not just because Nunn was comfortably winning the fight, but because it seemed to instantly make him half the fighter he had been before. He looked on course to become one of the great Middleweight champions before, and after that he was never the same.

Fitzsimmons' knockout of Corbett for the Heavyweight title was huge for a number of reasons; the come-from-behind win meant that he became the lightest ever Heavyweight champion, set a 'Middleweight to Heavyweight' feat which wouldn't be replicated for 106 years and also invented what became known as the solar plexus punch.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:38 pm

88Chris05 wrote:I think the left hook by James Toney which almost took Michael Nunn's head off could be considered. Not just because Nunn was comfortably winning the fight, but because it seemed to instantly make him half the fighter he had been before. He looked on course to become one of the great Middleweight champions before, and after that he was never the same.

Not sure I would quite agree with the sentiment. I had Toney winning rounds 8,9, and 10 at a canter, with Nunn blowing out his bum and Toney landing some big shots. That punch was a great shot, but I would argue it was a coup de grace, rather than a fight changer.

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:45 pm

gary sykes KO from buckland (was it buckland my memory isnt what it used to be) in the prizefighter competition- i had him winning the fight and on previous form from the earlier fights sykes looked set to win- but buckland caught him with a left hook and he was unable to recover.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmythebullet Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:52 pm

The Tyson - Botha fight

Jimmythebullet

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:56 pm

bellchees wrote:Foreman vs Moorer

Gotta be this one surely? Made Big George the holder of three (world?) records simultaneously!

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:19 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
bellchees wrote:Foreman vs Moorer

Gotta be this one surely? Made Big George the holder of three (world?) records simultaneously!

good call, wins hands down

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:31 pm

[quote="HumanWindmill"]In modern times I'd probably plump for Jackson's punch from nowhere which dropped Herol Graham as though he had been shot.

I'd go for that myself, was the first thing that came into my mind, dont think I'll ever forget that one. Watched the fight again on sky sports 5 years or so back with some mates who'd never seen it, they were stunned when that punch hit graham. Funny thing my mate had actually been to the venue where it was fought only a year before, somewhere on the costa del sol!

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:06 pm

John David jackson vs Castro.......Jackson was winning by sgutout when he got careless...

Graham - Jackson................

Rosario was giving camacho a good fight anyway......Sure he stunned him but he still lost...Probably a better career changing blow as Camacho got on his bike....after that.

MCcallum - Curry - Bodysnatcher was getting a boxing leson when he struck oil..

Bonecrusher v Frank.......I had it 9-0 in rounds going into the last....

Robbo-Fullmer - Looked like a repeat of the first fight when bang.....

Meza v Garza - Down twice and then lands the finisher to take the WBC crown.....

Weaver-Tate - Tate just had to survive the last thirty seconds to keep his title...Splat!!

Barkley - Hearns.......................

Walcott - Charles................

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:41 pm

Dempsey v Willard

It was pretty close before Dempsey decided to splatter him in round 1.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:47 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:Dempsey v Willard

Similar to this, you mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCMNdp6vvbw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:52 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
John Bloody Wayne wrote:Dempsey v Willard

Similar to this, you mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCMNdp6vvbw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Yeah, I had it even before the first punch.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:19 pm

How gutted must the blonde guy have been..?!?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down