The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland Team v Scotland Announced

+30
IanBru
bsando
BlueMuff
BelfastDickVet
marty2086
the-goon
Mickado
Rava
Standulstermen
skippy
Notch
RDW
pete (buachaill on eirne)
asoreleftshoulder
rodders
dublin_dave
ChequeredJersey
SecretFly
Foxton249
Sin é
eirebilly
whocares
1F'sgonnagetya!
Don Alfonso
Thomond
MMC
geoff998rugby
Rory_Gallagher
debaters1
34 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Ireland Team v Scotland Announced - Page 3 Empty Ireland Team v Scotland Announced

Post by debaters1 Wed 07 Mar 2012, 1:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

IRELAND Team & Replacements (v Scotland, 2012 RBS 6 Nations Championship, Aviva Stadium, Saturday, March 10, kick-off 5pm):

15 - Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster)
14 - Tommy Bowe (Ospreys)
13 - Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster)
12 - Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
11 - Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)
10 - Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
9 - Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
1 - Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
2 - Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster) (capt)
3 - Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster)
4 - Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
5 - Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
6 - Stephen Ferris (Dungannon/Ulster)
7 - Sean O'Brien (Clontarf/Leinster)
8 - Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)

Replacements:
16 - Sean Cronin (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
17 - Tom Court (Malone/Ulster)
18 - Mike McCarthy (Buccaneers/Connacht)
19 - Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster)
20 - Tomas O'Leary (Dolphin/Munster)
21 - Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
22 - Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster)

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Ireland Team v Scotland Announced - Page 3 Empty Re: Ireland Team v Scotland Announced

Post by bsando Thu 08 Mar 2012, 5:17 pm

I know Sexton is having a run of good form just now, but is there anyone else trying for a spot at 10 for Ireland? Surely ROG will not be around for too much longer. Likewise, who would you like to see getting a cap or more of a run for Ireland?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Ireland Team v Scotland Announced - Page 3 Empty Re: Ireland Team v Scotland Announced

Post by eirebilly Thu 08 Mar 2012, 5:19 pm

bsando, next in the pipeline is Madigan Smile
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 08 Mar 2012, 5:37 pm

It's getting more interesting by the day - this Six Nations. O'Brien out now. I don't mind. So it's an injury replacement again but at least it'll tell us something - good or bad - about the two replacements.

It's also a good test for the resiliance of this side and I have to say in that context, so far, I'm impressed. They've had bad games, bad press, bad 606 reviews! - bad luck with coaches and now bad luck with injuries; but I think they've improved in every game. France was the toughest and the result didn't go their way but they didn't implode like other years - they weren't intimidated.

But who knows, maybe fate is now taking over from Declan. Maybe it has lost patience and is now forcing Declan's hand.

I don't see it as a cloud but as something to look forward to at the weekend.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by newbie Thu 08 Mar 2012, 10:29 pm

bsando wrote:I know Sexton is having a run of good form just now, but is there anyone else trying for a spot at 10 for Ireland? Surely ROG will not be around for too much longer. Likewise, who would you like to see getting a cap or more of a run for Ireland?

If by good form you mean good in defence then I guess that is good form. He still hasn't stepped up to international level and still makes too many mistakes. Madigan is a great prospect. Has scored seven or eight tries this season, hopefully will get to go on the summer tour.

Still have no idea what the last poster is talking about...i am sure someone does

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu 08 Mar 2012, 10:34 pm

Can I ask, is anyone else singing "Oooooh Mahoney" to the tune of 'Oklahoma'?

I guess it's just me. I loves me some show-tunes.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 08 Mar 2012, 10:58 pm

O'Mahony is not pronounced Oh Ma Hone E. It Oh Mahanee.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu 08 Mar 2012, 11:17 pm

Ahh... fair enough.

"The best things in life are free
But you can keep 'em for the birds and bees;

Now give me Mahoney, (that's what I want)"

I'm going to have to resort to Question Time to amuse myself.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 09 Mar 2012, 1:58 am

Notch wrote:O'Mahony is not pronounced Oh Ma Hone E. It Oh Mahanee.

Mahoney or Mahoney can sometimes be pronounced as a two syllable flat sounding MAHN-knee with emphasis on the first syllable.

The American version Ma-HO-knee developed with the stress on the second syllable because US tongues couldn't get around the almost silent 'huh' in the Irish pronunciation 'MAH-huh-knee' where the main emphasis is on the first syllable.

Of course if he manages to score on Saturday then you can just call him Effin Brillyant.

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 09 Mar 2012, 7:00 am

Madigan will be challenging Sexton very soon. I honestly feel that he is the better ball player than Sexton.

I had this vision that Sexton moved out to 12 and Madigan came into 10.
That may freak a few people out but if you do look at it, it could very well be a good move.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 09 Mar 2012, 7:52 am

Just haven't seen enough of young Madigan to comment, billy, but I would imagine that he would become Shexytoes's back up at both Leinster and for Ireland soon? Is that right?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 09 Mar 2012, 8:05 am

He is looking better and better AsBo, even taking that kicking duties which was considered to be his weakest aspect.

He wont be just Sextons backup soon, he will overtake him i feel and i would not be suprised if Leinster and Ireland start playing Sexton at 12.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 09 Mar 2012, 8:28 am

I always had young Fergus down as the logical successor to GdA but he just doesn't seem to have kicked on quite as expected and he must be mid-20s now? Suppose there's still time, but he needs to be getting game-time at IC if he's to make the berth his own OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 09 Mar 2012, 8:32 am

Fergus came along in leaps and bounds but has been found wanting at the top level. There is another young player that i expect big things from and that is Hanrahan.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 09 Mar 2012, 8:36 am

Is he the Munster youngster? Think I saw him at U20s last year or the year before, looked handy alright

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 09 Mar 2012, 8:37 am

That he is AsBo, a fine talent he is as well. I am hoping that he gets selected for the tour to NZ and given a match or two.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 09 Mar 2012, 8:39 am

That'd be some learning curve for the lad tho?! Yikes

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 09 Mar 2012, 8:41 am

That it would be but i dont mean starts in the games against the AB's, more in a couple of midweek games.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 09 Mar 2012, 8:42 am

I would just love to see him and Madigan pair up for Ireland.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 09 Mar 2012, 8:44 am

Are they doing mid-weekers?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 09 Mar 2012, 8:45 am

Madigan is a more natural player than Sexton, really good “footballing” 10, with a skip pass that any international scrum half would be proud of.

His game management and kicking from hand has a good bit of improving to do though, I can’t see him “taking over” from Sexton for a few years yet. I’d imagine that if all things go well he’ll become a horses for courses starter, i.e. if we want to play BaaBaa’s rugby we can start him and if we want to keep it tighter we can start Sexton – ala Reddan and Boss, Healy and VDM etc.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Fri 09 Mar 2012, 8:45 am

12 for Ireland ?

BOD for a couple of years with McFadden as cover.

By then hopefully one of Hanrahan or Marshall has kicked on sufficiently to challange

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 09 Mar 2012, 8:45 am

I think that there are a couple, there usually are. I cant say for sure as i havent seen the schedule.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 09 Mar 2012, 8:47 am

I can honestly see him pushing Sexton and overtaking him in a year or two Mick. Thats how good i think he is Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 09 Mar 2012, 8:55 am

That wouldn’t worry me Willy, as long as the best man is in the shirt then that’s what’s best for everyone.

Crazy to think he was 4th choice at the start of the year!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 09 Mar 2012, 9:03 am

It is crazy but having watched him he is certainly looking like he will be the better 10 in my eyes.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 09 Mar 2012, 9:19 am

Madigan should be on the bench now if hes good enough.

ROG can still place kick to a high level but more and more he looks disinterested for Ireland. Physically he doesn't look at the races and his heart doesn't look to be in it.

I think hes accepted he isn't going to start anymore and he just looks a man who'd rather be somewhere else. When Bowe scored against France he didn't even smile, just rolled his eyes and carried on doing his stretches.

Thats not a slight on ROG, after 100 odd tests it must be hard to be motivated for bench duty.

Thats why in my eyes we should bring in guys who are young and hungry like Madigan, O'Mahoney, Tuohy, Ryan, guys that have fire in their bellies and not guys like D'arcy, DOC, ROG who are just going through the motions.

Theres just no subsitute for youthful enthusiasm as we've discovered against Wales twice now and may find out again against Scotland and England.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 09 Mar 2012, 9:27 am

I wanted a Madigan or Keatley on the bench from the start of this 6N rodders. I could never understand why ROG was picked (awaiting Red_Stag abuse) because he was never really going to play a significant role.

As for Ryan, he must be gutted that DOC gets in ahead of him and i would have loved to have seen Tuohy be given at least a chance.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:03 am

jebus, lads you haven't a clue about ROG (though I suspect its more wishful thinking on poor auld Rodders part that ROG is past it Very Happy ).

ROG is a competitor - thats something you can't coach.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0303/1224312711343.html

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:09 am

Sin, as a Munsterman myself, i have every bit an idea about the worth of ROG.
That said, i am more trying to look to the future and if ROG was never going to play a significant part in this 6N then why not bring in a Madigan or Keatley?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:13 am

Sin é wrote:jebus, lads you haven't a clue about ROG (though I suspect its more wishful thinking on poor auld Rodders part that ROG is past it Very Happy ).

Sin if the irish times want to interview me I'll happily tell them I'm the best fly half in Ireland too..... Wink
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:17 am

eirebilly wrote:Sin, as a Munsterman myself, i have every bit an idea about the worth of ROG.
That said, i am more trying to look to the future and if ROG was never going to play a significant part in this 6N then why not bring in a Madigan or Keatley?

Would you have Keatley starting for Munster ahead of ROG?
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:19 am

roddersm wrote:
Sin é wrote:jebus, lads you haven't a clue about ROG (though I suspect its more wishful thinking on poor auld Rodders part that ROG is past it Very Happy ).

Sin if the irish times want to interview me I'll happily tell them I'm the best fly half in Ireland too..... Wink

Did you not read the bit where he said he reckoned that he would play for another 18 months or so Smile
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:26 am

Pot Hale wrote:Mahoney or Mahoney can sometimes be pronounced as a two syllable flat sounding MAHN-knee with emphasis on the first syllable.

Cheers thats what I was trying to get at. Smile

But there's a little grace note in there O MA(HUH)KNEE. Except the 'Huh' sound is so quick you'd nearly miss it.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:27 am

eirebilly wrote:bsando, next in the pipeline is Madigan Smile

cheers billy, i'll check him out OK

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:35 am

Sin é wrote:
eirebilly wrote:Sin, as a Munsterman myself, i have every bit an idea about the worth of ROG.

Simply, no i would not. I am simply saying that it would have been nice to see A Madigan or A Keatley in the Irish side if ROG was not going to play a significant part. That would have then got them more familiar with the international setup. I feel that thos few minutes of 6N matches that ROG plays could be better utilised in getting some young players involved with the setup.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:50 am

eirebilly wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Simply, no i would not. I am simply saying that it would have been nice to see A Madigan or A Keatley in the Irish side if ROG was not going to play a significant part. That would have then got them more familiar with the international setup. I feel that thos few minutes of 6N matches that ROG plays could be better utilised in getting some young players involved with the setup.

And what happens if Sexton gets injured 30 mins in ? Not fair on the rest of the team.

Far more beneficial to madigan and Keatley that they get gametime, because pretty soon Sexton & Rog will be back to their clubs and they will be sitting on the bench for the important matches coming up.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:53 am

What if both ROG and Sexton got injured within 30min Sin? Madigan and Keately would have zero experience.

All if's, buts and maybes. Sometimes you just have to chance your arm and back yourself.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:58 am

Sin é wrote:
Did you not read the bit where he said he reckoned that he would play for another 18 months or so Smile

Yes I did. I think he is enjoying his rugby...for Munster... I don't think hes enjoying sitting on the bench for Ireland and I don't think he wants to spend time away in Ireland camp.

He knows he can't have his cake and eat it as he has an IRFU contract which he'd have to renegotiate if he makes himself unavailable for Ireland. He hasn't looked the same player, physically or mentally since the RWC although Munsters HEC run has clearly sparked him into life a bit.

I'm sure he'll be up for the NZ summer tour but he does look like a player counting down to retirement.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:51 pm

Eirebilly a Munster supporter when did that happen?

Yes lets put keatley on the bench? He is on the bench this weekend. Because he is not good enough. Madigan is a different fish, I like him and hope he takes over from sexton sooner rather than later.

Rodders and ROG you complain about him so much you are either David Humphries or a bookmaker

I have it on good authority that Kidney is going to instruct the team to stick the ball up the jumper just to annoy 606v2 posters and secretfly in particular. In addition the team are going to wear Munster jerseys....the main thing they are not going to do is try to score tries through the backline which is what they are currently doing...also sexton is going to kick the leather off the ball ...although considering how bad he does that he better let someone else do it

Come on Ireland and feic the begrudgers

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:56 pm

DOD wrote:
I have it on good authority that Kidney is going to instruct the team to stick the ball up the jumper just to annoy 606v2 posters and secretfly in particular. In addition the team are going to wear Munster jerseys....the main thing they are not going to do is try to score tries through the backline which is what they are currently doing...also sexton is going to kick the leather off the ball ...although considering how bad he does that he better let someone else do it

Same as usual then? Grand, that'll be lovely.

I think we're going to kill Scotland...have been alluding to as much all week. Keep up with me, DOD - I move fast don't you know - the Leinster breeding and all.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 09 Mar 2012, 11:03 pm

Lets just hope sexton shows he is more than a defensive option...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 09 Mar 2012, 11:08 pm

Defense keeps out offense, I hear tell from those who also think it also wins games. We'll see. Half and half would be nice.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 09 Mar 2012, 11:14 pm

For a change

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 09 Mar 2012, 11:20 pm

Eureka..we have agreement.

I'm afraid I'm suspicious about our individual reasons for agreement though. I wouldn't have too much faith that they're on the same wavelength. But it's a start.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by gordyfrank Fri 09 Mar 2012, 11:43 pm

aye jasus dod; lighten up man; Whistle the times they ar changen. telling my mate think martin johnston kiss should be the next munster coach. you sounding bitter & him looking it; boxing ire 28 scots25 or if you perfere ire 3 [rog last min] scot 0. sure we all want the same thing do;nt we! Hug

gordyfrank

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3