The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tekken or Street Fighter

+6
President Trump
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Uryu Ishida
Hero
Reggie Perrin
break_in_the_fifth
10 posters

Go down

Tekken or Street Fighter

Tekken or Street Fighter Vote_lcap50%Tekken or Street Fighter Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 8 ]
Tekken or Street Fighter Vote_lcap50%Tekken or Street Fighter Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 16

Tekken or Street Fighter Empty Tekken or Street Fighter

Post by break_in_the_fifth Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:24 am

Both are famous franchises in the same genre but which do you prefer? I'd say street fighter seems to be the more well known and popular though I can't for the life of me see why, at least not when it comes down to what each game offers in terms of fighting. I much prefer the smoother feel that tekken has and I think a lot more work has gone into the fighting styles of each character. The combos and move lists in tekken are also longer and more intricate not to mention be able to move in 3 dimensions (kind of). I've played street fighter 4 though don't own it and while it was smoother than the previous ones, it still just seemed to be about hadoken projectiles with added stronger hadokens that can break through the regular ones. Naturally the characters had more moves than the older games but it was still nowhere near as many as tekken where typically characters can have 100+ moves.

I respect both as amazing games but I don't honestly think street fighter compares to tekken in terms of innovation and experience of fighting. Tekken is much more free flowing and the options in each situation more diverse so for me the far better fighting game. Do you agree? If not why do you prefer Street Fighter?

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Tekken or Street Fighter Empty Re: Tekken or Street Fighter

Post by Reggie Perrin Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:28 am

If I had to choose it would be street fighter mainly based on nostalgia back to a time where classrooms would errupt in arguments about who the best character was in Street Fighter 2/Super Street Fighter 2, Class times haha. personally though I don't think you can beat Mortal Kombat.

Reggie Perrin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:40 am

No question for me, Street Fighter hands down.
It just dominated many hours of my life as a student and devoured most of my spare cash.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Uryu Ishida Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:41 am

tekken, its unique characters and styles of play are fun. i first played tekken 3 and i found Gon quite entertaining. Dr B was very annoying to play as!

hworang ( sp) my fave

followed by Steve, Law, Kuma/Panda

Last edited by Uryu Ishida on Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Uryu Ishida

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:17 am

Reggie Perrin wrote:If I had to choose it would be street fighter mainly based on nostalgia back to a time where classrooms would errupt in arguments about who the best character was in Street Fighter 2/Super Street Fighter 2, Class times haha

Seconded

Think me favourtie character was Guile (sp?) I remeber being made up after finally performing the spinning pile driver with Zangeef, the hardest move on the game.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:37 am

Street Fighter all the way, it was the game that came with my beloved Super Nintendo when I was surprised at Christmas with it and it was the only thing I could beat my older uncles at when I was young.

I bought 4 on my Xbox and was shocked to hear that my son and cousin never heard of it, I was that disgusted with them I sent them to bed and sat up for hours playing it

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by Uryu Ishida Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:23 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnIjYbqsY1o&feature=related

possibly one of the best tekken endings ever

edit:

then theres this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry8j-E7xPZ4&feature=related

Uryu Ishida

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:34 am

Personally its Street Fighter for me I played the original (the version where only Ryu and Ken as playable and Sagat end boss) for countless hours that it will forever hold a special spot for me.

The point made earlier about Tekken possibly having more depth to its experience is perfectly valid but sometimes simplicity is better and in the case of SF I think that holds true. Another example would be SWOS as still my favourite football game despite the technical prowess of your FIFA/PES, though I can come down on the other side as I think Total Annihilation is a far better technical and in depth game than Starcraft yet its the later that gets all the plaudits.

My favourite moment from SF is also a very famous one from the games history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np_5BHmaSI4

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Y2James Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:12 am

Tekken for me. In the 90's and the times of my Mega Drive it was undoubtebly SF, then came Virtua but Tekken for me is now the benchmark

Y2James

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:32 pm

Street Fighter without question.

Ken and Ryu battles were immense. It was a labour of love for me. I used to camp in the arcades for my 30p a go sessions. Also it is the only game that has generate control pad smashing by my mates who had too much money and were just crap and lame ducks on it. Art of Fighting was a poor mans StreetFighter.

Mortal Kombat was great. It was for the kids who tortured their pets! For me Killer Instinct changed the face of beat em ups through combos and fatalities. Virtual Fighter and Tekken were more about the experience of beat em ups. Graphically stunning, but nothing gameplay wise they could hold up to StreetFighter.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:43 am

Tekken for me, I was never quick enough on the controller to be able to play SF. Also I think that Tekken timing you attacks/defense is more skillful than of SF, where it tended to just learn 3 or four moves and use them to death.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Uryu Ishida Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:38 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Tekken for me, I was never quick enough on the controller to be able to play SF. Also I think that Tekken timing you attacks/defense is more skillful than of SF, where it tended to just learn 3 or four moves and use them to death.

until Steve in Tekken 6 was completely busted and if you got the first hit with him, you win if you play it right because you do not let up with him :P

Steve is very aggro

Uryu Ishida

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:56 pm

Out of interest is Streetfighter X Tekken any good? Is there still going to be a Tekken X Streetfighter?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down