The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The v2Journal Lions.

+14
Adam D
Luckless Pedestrian
Pal Joey
The Great Aukster
Rory_Gallagher
B91212
Cadair Idris
SubsBench
Standulstermen
Ozzy3213
thebluesmancometh
Biltong
red_stag
Glas a du
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The v2Journal Lions. - Page 2 Empty The v2Journal Lions.

Post by Glas a du Fri 09 Mar 2012, 4:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

PUB DISCUSSIONS

Right, there isn’t a British and Irish Lions test match a week after the 6 Nations ends, but bear with us.

Rugby fans would not be Rugby fans if they were not at this time of year arguing over various composite XV from the 6 Nations teams. Just look at 606v2! We’ve gone for the classic:

The v2Journal British and Irish Lions to take on Australia*
(*if the match was a week after the 6 Nations and not next year)

The cream of the v2Journal share their knowledge and insight, well, their opinions at least. This is the team they have selected:

15 Kearney
14 North
13 Tuilagi
12 Davies
11 Halfpenny
10 Sexton
9 Phillips

1 Jenkins
2 Best
3 Jones
4 Gray
5 O’Connell
6 Ferris
7 Warburton (C)
8 Faletau

16 Healy
17 Ford
18 Charteris
19 O’Brien
20 Blair
21 Farrell
22 Foden

Coach: Warren Gatland

The contributors were briefed as follows:

“Feel free to select from outside the national squads and don't feel that you have to pick a team that Gatland would. Pick teams not individuals (this is not a "best player in each position we've seen in the 6 nations"). Nominate your captain and preferred coach.”

Biltong

Biltong is a South African and hence brings an outsider’s perspective.

Amongst his most interesting selections is: “10. ”

“At 10 I think the Lions are going to have a problem, neither Farrell, Priestland, Sexton or Laidlaw is really convincing yet. If someone doesn't start showing their hand, with Genia/Cooper or Genia/O'Connor there is trouble on the horizon.”

He also has reservations as to Mike Phillips who he sees as the only option and the coach:

“As far as who should be the coach and what game plan he will select is a conundrum.”

Robinson doesn’t impress him, Kidney has got enough on his plate at home and: “the English don't even have a permanent coach yet. That would leave Gatland, which I think is a mistake. I would suggest they get an outsider. Ask Graham Henry, or Nick Mallet to coach them and manage them from an outside perspective. These guys will be more objective and favouritism won't play a role.”

He also suggested an ‘alternative’ back row of Rennie, Warburton and Heaslip to maximise mobility and work rate to counter the threat of Pocock.

Hywel Davies

Hywel (as the name might suggest) is a Welsh fan. He also follows the Scarlets.

“To beat Australia in Australia, you have to have a pack of forwards than can beat them in the tight and match them in the loose. Evans, Gray and Charteris are athletes that will take pressure off the back row in the tight.

My team is about using the conditions to our advantage, getting our forwards around the park and fronting up at the scrum”

In a departure from the preferences of his National coach, Hywel prefers Jonathan Davies as an inside Centre, to team up with Tuilagi. This was a permutation also backed by Biltong. “Davies and Roberts are very similar, although I think Davies has the better eye for a break. Both he and the outside half should be all about making space for Tuilagi and North, knowing when to break is a big part of that”.

“Eddie O Sullivan as coach may raise eyebrows. He has the benefit of an insider’s understanding the Lions concept whilst still being something of an outsider in terms of selection. He’s always had his backs posing a threat.”

Pete Osborn

“Ozzy” is a true blue London Irish fan. He is not Irish and doesn't live in London (boom-boom!). He supports England.

“I want a side to play at high tempo and take the game to Australia, players who are capable of crossing the gain line and keeping the ball alive.”

An eye catching selection is Andrew Trimble on the right wing. “He would be given freedom to express himself (he hasn’t had for Ireland) and has the pace, power and intelligence to be a real handful for the opposition”.

Pete also rates Alex Corbisiero on the loose head. “He’s a monster in the loose and a competent scrummager. His tackle rate will be needed to repel Australian invaders.”

He also makes a case for the Welsh back row as an unit. “They complement each other unbelievably well. Lydiate is a tackle machine, Warburton a dog on the deck and great link man and Faletau a monster carrier. They can cause any team in the world problems in attack and defence. Captaincy seems to spur Warburton on to even higher performance levels, when it might sit heavily on other’s shoulders”

Tim Williams

Tim is a Dragons fan and also a Wales fan, with French sympathies, an English mother and North Walian father. It may not be surprising then that his was the most unconventional team.

Tim believes a full front row on the bench would pay dividends “Cian Healy and Euan Murray can make an impression off the bench, Murray at the scrum, Healy in the loose.”

He also suggests a rookie half back partnership: “Gareth Davies is lightning off the mark around the fringes and is just as physical as the often ponderous Mike Phillips. This would free up Duncan Weir, an excellent playmaker and the top points scorer in the Pro 12”

Another left field call is Ashley Beck. “Think Gavin Henson only younger and better and with hairier legs. With this footballer at 'first five-eighth' the Lions would have attacking threats from 9 to 13.”

Finally he suggests Hogg on the right wing due to his pace and ability to beat men one on one.

Donal Treacy

Donal is a Munster and Ireland fan.

He was not the only backer of Healy at the loosehead position, but his choice of second rows came as a bit of a surprise:

“04 Jim Hamilton
05 Geoff Parling

Hamilton and Parling offer a fascinating if unheralded (you said it! Ed.) pairing combining the skills of a brawling enforcer and a lineout tactician”

As to the back row “You need a tackler so get Chris Robshaw in there to allow the others (Ferris and Warburton) to do their thing.

He shares Tim’s halfback philosophy, but his recipe is different: “lets get good ball movement, vision and keep the Aussies guessing. Reddan and Sexton is a proven combination at both club and country”

He is another backer of the Davies/Tuilagi centre partnership: “Davies in his Scarlets number 12 alongside the most exciting 13 to burst onto the scene since O'Driscoll; Tuilagi”

As to full back “Stuart Hogg may be grabbing headlines but he is behind Foden, Kearney and Halfpenny in a VERY competitive position.” He opts for the otherwise un-fancied Foden.

Siobhan Corcoran

She’s the Welsh girl with an English dad and an Irish name.

Ross Ford has impressed her in this campaign: “hugely consistent with his throwing in, great leadership qualities, very good in the loose and the scrum.

Adam Jones is a virtually unanimous choice at tight head, as she puts it: “he’s just a rock at the scrum, no other comes close to him.

She is another who wanted to keep the Welsh back row intact: “Whilst Ferris has been playing a blinder for Ireland, I don't think he'd link in well with Faletau or Warburton. Same goes with not including Denton, don't think he'd link in well with Warburton and Lydiate. The Welsh back row are a sublime unit, I just wouldn't want to mess about with them.”

So there we have it. We hope you enjoyed it as much as we have. To discuss these choices and put forward your own take a look at 606v2.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

The v2Journal Lions. - Page 2 Empty Re: The v2Journal Lions.

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 09 Mar 2012, 8:20 pm

And we havn't mentioned the likes of Ashton, Foden, Hogg, Cuthbert, Byrne, Armitage, Fitzgerald etc...

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cadair Idris Fri 09 Mar 2012, 8:24 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:And we havn't mentioned the likes of Ashton, Foden, Hogg, Cuthbert, Byrne, Armitage, Fitzgerald etc...

Yep, very true - Hogg in particular is a great prospect, and a year ago Ashton and Foden would be right up there and will probably come good again in the next 12 months. I have a feeling Byrne and Armitage can be discounted, good players though they are. I can't see Byrne even playing for Wales again to be honest unless we have an injury crisis.

Cadair Idris

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 09 Mar 2012, 8:26 pm

Really? Byrnes form is pretty good in France, and they're utilising him in a totally different way to O's. I actually think the way he's playing is much smarter now, that left boot is killing teams!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cadair Idris Fri 09 Mar 2012, 8:35 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Really? Byrnes form is pretty good in France, and they're utilising him in a totally different way to O's. I actually think the way he's playing is much smarter now, that left boot is killing teams!

Ah, that's interesting. I don't claim to have been watching him at all for Clermont in the last few months. Good on him, he's a very full back on his day (brilliant in the 2008 slam) and it's good to hear he's got his form back. How are they using him differently to the Ospreys? Even if playing well though I have a feeling Gats will look to youth on the summer tour and Byrne may lose out. Maybe he'd still be considered for the Lions if not part of the Wales set up but I doubt it with the likes of Kearney, tuppence, Hogg, Foden who will all have played in the 6 nations.

Cadair Idris

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sat 10 Mar 2012, 4:22 am

Don't really understand the calls for the entire Welsh backrow as while they have been good enough, they haven't been the reason why Wales are doing well in the 6N.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 10 Mar 2012, 5:04 am

Tell them they're dreamin'.... what is this?

Some sort of Ambush Australia thread? Laugh

Better teams have tried and failed. Very Happy

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sat 10 Mar 2012, 6:32 am

My 22 would beat the Wallabies, Breaker. This composite 22 wouldn't. Wink

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sat 10 Mar 2012, 6:46 am

http://v2journal.com/the-606v2-british-lions.html

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sat 10 Mar 2012, 7:00 am

Quite happy with that side, although I would prefer Roberts in there somewhere, not because I'm Welsh but I think that someone like him is needed against the Wallabies, someone along with the forwards who is going to run up the middle all day long and tire them out, releasing people on the outside, like Kearney, North and also giving sexton more space to bring the runners into the game.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 10 Mar 2012, 7:07 am

I still think the problem area for the Lions looking at current form is the half back pairing.

There are a number of promising players, but they haven't really shown great form.

If the Lions tour had to take place right now, it would be a toss up.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 10 Mar 2012, 7:49 am

Looks like a good team. I would make an argument for Rennie on the bench instead of SOB, but I suppose SOB covers 8 too, so can't really complain
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 10 Mar 2012, 8:56 am

Remember lads and ladies, there is a long way to go betwixt now and Lions selections. I would bet that at least one-third of everyone's presumptive Lions squads will be injured, off form, or superceded by others this time next year. But, this is one of the fun parts about the Lions, trying to imagine the squads as the tour slowly gets closer.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 10 Mar 2012, 9:10 am

By the Lions tour one of Burns, Ford, Farrell or Heathcote will have stepped up at 10 as another option. At scrumhalf spencer, Harrison and Youngs all have potential.

I would be happy with that Lions team though, only change would be May at 22 to cover the backs and as the bolter.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2