The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland v Scotland U20's

+6
The Great Aukster
geoff999rugby
funnyExiledScot
Morgannwg
asoreleftshoulder
Standulstermen
10 posters

Go down

Ireland v Scotland U20's Empty Ireland v Scotland U20's

Post by Standulstermen Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:09 pm

Good win for Ireland here 26-0 but in truth it should have been much more. Jackson didnt find his kicking boots till the 2nd half and the territory stats must have been something like 80-90% in scotland territory.

Trys from Shane Leyden, Luke McGrath and Jack Conan sealed the win. McGrath got motm and does look a fantastic prospect. Hanrahan was impressive as was Conan and Iain Henderson looks ridiculously good. Lineout was a mixed bag at times but the scrum hammered scotland.

The backrow were poor at the breakdown but in defence the irish tackling was stellar. If they missed a tackle it was few and far between and between Henderson, Conan and McGrath continually drove attackers backwards. In attack they arent clinical enough.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Ireland v Scotland U20's Empty Re: Ireland v Scotland U20's

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:14 pm

Lazy performance from Ireland,they were so superior to Scotland it was ridiculous and should have easily scored 50 points but it seemed like after 15 minutes of domination they saw the game was over and just coasted.

The breakdown was poor but other than that it was almost total domination for Ireland.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:17 pm

Just read that England U20's lost to France so ireland are the only team on for the Slam when they take on England next week. Will be a mammoth game and im hoping the youngsters can summon another performance like France away.

Momentum is with them at least

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:21 pm

Jackson is very overated by you guys from what I've seen.

This is bizzare. Unless they have significantly upped their performance from round one this is not a good Ireland U20 team, yet they find themselves the only ones capable of winning the Slam. Bizarre as I also thought that they were pretty average when they won the U20 tournament 2 years ago (?). Shocked that England lost to France. Good luck.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:48 pm

More great news for Scottish rugby. How depressing!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:00 pm

Ther trouble with Ireland in the Scotland game was it was so easy concentration was poor..

Jackson keeps getting slated but keeps guiding Ireland to win after win as captain and fly half. Keeping getting it wrong Paddy that is all I can say

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Morgan

It actually is a decent U20 team. They have got better as the tournament went on and beat France in France lets not forget.

Jacksons kicking is really poor but in terms of bossing territory Ireland have been exceptional from what i have seen. Jackson and McGrath at scrum half are excellent at that.

They have also only conceded one try all tournament and that was against italy so i think that explains why they are undefeated. The big test is England of course who will be favourites but if Ireland can get a better attacking game going they could run them close.

henderson is the pick of them although mentions for Hanrahan, McGrath, McCall, Leyden, Jackson, Farrell and Conan. I suspect they will all (exception maybe of Conan) go on to represent their provinces in the very near future.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:22 pm

I haven't really watched your team since round one Stand and that was one of the worst spectacles ever. What have your results been?

England will be a real test of your defence. As well as being good in attack they have a well drilled defence themselves. A lot of gang-tackling going on.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:24 pm

21-20 or something like that in france. One score game anyway. 26-0 the other night but in reality if our attack were functioning it should have been 50 odd and a two score win over italy.

From what i have seen the attack needs plenty of work and they arent clinical enough but they are were they are because of the defence. It is the best in the tournament i think and so agressive.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:27 pm

Jackson will have to start nailing his kicks, you might need to rely on small margins again Vs England.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:29 pm

personally i would let hanrahan take them Morgan. He seems much more comfortable and i dont see Jackson even needing to take the kicks if eh plays for ulster as pienaar will take them

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:37 pm

Ireland have a weak backrow and both wings don't know the word "pass", but there are some decent players otherwise. Jackson managed the game well mixing up his passing and kicking but didn't show much running. He struggled with his place kicking into the wind, but didn't miss one after the turnaround. McGrath looked good too and deserved him MOTM award but he is way too small for those thinking he could make a step up to PRO12 anytime soon.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:43 pm

Who does Conan play for provincially? I think he could be a great player. Henderson should be pushing for game-time with Ulster next season.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:47 pm

McGrath, Henderson and Hanrahan are the pick of the bunch alright and layden wouldnt be too far behind. He took his try very well the other night.

England away will be very tough and i wouldnt fancy us to get the win.

2010 was probably our best ever underage team so dont know what you mean morgan.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:55 pm

Leinster i think Rory.

Peter Nelson isnt even in the panel either due to injury

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by hugo124 Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:28 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:Ireland have a weak backrow and both wings don't know the word "pass", but there are some decent players otherwise. Jackson managed the game well mixing up his passing and kicking but didn't show much running. He struggled with his place kicking into the wind, but didn't miss one after the turnaround. McGrath looked good too and deserved him MOTM award but he is way too small for those thinking he could make a step up to PRO12 anytime soon.
McGrath is 5 foot 9 and wasn't afraid of going into contact.He is on the bench for the Leinster A team and I wouldn't say he is any less physical than Eoin Reddan.

hugo124

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:04 pm

Wouldn't doubt his motivation or heart, but he does look slightly built for pro rugby.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:45 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Who does Conan play for provincially? I think he could be a great player. Henderson should be pushing for game-time with Ulster next season.

Henderson is indeed an excellent prospect but he won't be going past Stevenson, Tuohy or Muller this year or getting close. Stevenson was at least as good at the same age.

In fact if he matches Barker, by the end, he is doing well. I predict something like 3 run outs as a sub.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down