The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Redskins trade up

+9
BamBam
Derbyblue
Lowlandbrit
Barney92
Colan (niner)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Number-25
Leedscowboys
GB1919
13 posters

Go down

Redskins trade up Empty Redskins trade up

Post by GB1919 Sat 10 Mar 2012, 7:20 am

The Redskins have given the Rams 3 1st round picks (2012, 2013 and 2014) as well as a 2nd round this year.

Obviously it's a great return for the Rams but do people think now was the best time to trade or would there have been a possibility of more value later?

Personally I think none of the free agent QBs particularly fancy Washington or Cleveland so both might have been more desperate in a few weeks.

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Redskins trade up Empty Re: Redskins trade up

Post by Leedscowboys Sat 10 Mar 2012, 8:38 am

more vaule later the Browns are a bit miffed and could have got into a trading war, as for a Browns FA QB I would expect them to pursue Flynn the back up QB at GB Holmgreen is a fan and both play in a similar Offence.
Leedscowboys
Leedscowboys

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Sat 10 Mar 2012, 8:49 am

Just saw this on the Washington Post website - I'm so happy!!!!! It's a move the Skins had no choice but to make - we simply have to get a franchise QB this year and RG3 was the best option out there. He's no more a gamble than Matt Flynn and is cheaper. I don't think it's too high a price to pay as it's kept the bulk of our drafts this year and in future years in tact. We've also got plenty of cap room this year to fill other needs like WR and O-Line.

I love the timing of it while the other QB needy teams have their eyes on Manning!! Typical piece of misdirection from Shanahan! I also think it's a good deal for the Rams - the extra high round picks will help them infuse their team with talent over the next 3 years. We can use our cap room to do that and we've also, hopefully, just solved the QB headache we've had for the last 25 to 30 years!!!

So happy!!

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 10 Mar 2012, 8:54 am

Great trade for both parties:
Skins get there quarterback they have been lacking and I think that this could make them almost automatic playoff contenders, with a good young defence and Helu in the backfield they could be contenders for a good time to come. Assuming RG3 is not a bust!!
Rams can now do want they want with those picks, use them to trade up in future drafts or rebuild there team.

Browns have to go after Flynn now, as Manning seems to be Miami's main priority.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Sat 10 Mar 2012, 11:32 am

horrrible move by the browns imo, flynn hasn't really been linked and he isn't a sure thing anyway and no way Manning goes there, I really think they missed their chance, i don't care if you give their qb blcakmon or someone instead, any sort of success seems a long way off now.

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Leedscowboys Sat 10 Mar 2012, 11:44 am

I would say Flynn is quite a good QB prospect and outside of Manning has one of the best upsides of any FA QB, you only need look at his week 16 game where he threw 5 TD passed and over 350yds. Before Manning became a FA the Fins were courting him to be their #1 guy and a move to the Browns will be a good fit, Holmgreen knows his stuff.
Leedscowboys
Leedscowboys

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Sat 10 Mar 2012, 11:45 am

happy that unless the vikes go crazy, they will take kalil but cant help but wish they lost that meaningless game at washington. A.D done his cruciate and ponder was knocked out but the vikes still managed to win. The only good thing is that St Louis constantly draft busts so as a niner fan, im happy that they are the team getting the picks

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney92 Sat 10 Mar 2012, 12:36 pm

Very good move for St Louis I think. I'd say at best they were going to get 3 1st rounders from the Browns and even that might be pushing it a bit. The Rams don't move too far down and also have a chance at getting some good spots in the draft order the next two years, especially if Griffin doesn't perform very well. The Redskins are in a tough enough division so the Rams could be in with a shot of getting some picks between 8-15 the next two years.

Barney92

Back to top Go down

Post by Leedscowboys Sat 10 Mar 2012, 12:47 pm

The Rams are now sitting comfortably, they could even trade back from 6, if a team is looking for a top WR, or DE, they can drop back ifrom 7-12 and still get an extra 2nd and 4th, which would allow them fill a nu,ber of holes
Leedscowboys
Leedscowboys

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sat 10 Mar 2012, 1:09 pm

niner wrote:happy that unless the vikes go crazy, they will take kalil but cant help but wish they lost that meaningless game at washington. A.D done his cruciate and ponder was knocked out but the vikes still managed to win. The only good thing is that St Louis constantly draft busts so as a niner fan, im happy that they are the team getting the picks
Didn't the Rams hold the tiebreaker anyway?

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Sat 10 Mar 2012, 1:22 pm

don't think so

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sat 10 Mar 2012, 3:40 pm

Leedscowboys wrote:more vaule later the Browns are a bit miffed and could have got into a trading war, as for a Browns FA QB I would expect them to pursue Flynn the back up QB at GB Holmgreen is a fan and both play in a similar Offence.
Disagree, there were 4 QB's the Browns would like to add in the offseason, 2 are gone (Luck and RGIII) other two are Tannehill and Weedon. Trusting the front office to be straight with the fans they will not be adding a FA QB.

Lowlandbrit wrote:
niner wrote:happy that unless the vikes go crazy, they will take kalil but cant help but wish they lost that meaningless game at washington. A.D done his cruciate and ponder was knocked out but the vikes still managed to win. The only good thing is that St Louis constantly draft busts so as a niner fan, im happy that they are the team getting the picks
Didn't the Rams hold the tiebreaker anyway?
Nope, Rams schedule strength was .590 and Vikings was .559, though that figure would have increased slightly if Washington had won the extra game I don't think it would impact it that much.

Massive price to move up considering how far away the draft is but I guess both sides are happy with the deal. St. Louis have 5 1st rounders in the next 3 drafts, so have plenty of chances to fill their roster with talent and build the team for Bradford, I'm guessing they take Reiff at 6. Washington get their future franchise quarterback, but so much could happen in the month between now and the draft, may not be likely but RGIII or Luck could get diagnosed with something serious meaning the Colts take the other one and Redskins are potentially left with neither.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Sat 10 Mar 2012, 4:47 pm

[url=By succeeding in Washington, the Vikings won their way out of the No. 2 pick for April’s NFL Draft, a slot now owned by the St. Louis Rams, who will spend the next eight weeks holding a high-profile auction that could quickly catalyze their own rebuilding plans.]By succeeding in Washington, the Vikings won their way out of the No. 2 pick for April’s NFL Draft, a slot now owned by the St. Louis Rams, who will spend the next eight weeks holding a high-profile auction that could quickly catalyze their own rebuilding plans.[/url]

don't know if this is correct but vikings fans seem annoyed that they lost that one game

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sat 10 Mar 2012, 6:02 pm

I love this move for Washington, I was hoping that he would go to the Skins over the Browns, he seems a much better fit for a Shanahan system rather than the Cleveland West Coast offence. NFC East will probably now have 4 very good QBs in Vick, Eli, Romo and RG3, the Vick/RG3 matchup could be a real highlight reel twice a year.

It is a lot to give up, but future draft picks are normally regarded as being equal to the round below, so a 2013 1st is equal to a 2012 2nd etc. If you look at it that way, the trade at this point is effectively 2 2nds and a 3rd, with a swap of 1st rounders this year. Personally I would make that trade all day long for a franchise QB.

The Redskins will have to be big players in free agency now, they need a top quality receiver and can see them going after Vincent Jackson, on his day he is one of the best deep threats in the league and RG3 definitely throws a good deep ball.

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by GB1919 Sat 10 Mar 2012, 6:21 pm

I've never understood why future picks are regarded as less than current picks. Yes, it means you can still invest in players now but in a years time the Rams won't see that pick as a 2nd rounder (even if it's in the 20s) and I don't think many Redskins fans will either.

The more I've thought about the trade the more I think the Rams have got an almost unbelievable deal, they have 3 picks in the first 40 this year and 2 in the first 32 for the next two years. If they can't challenge for the NFC West after that they never will.

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sat 10 Mar 2012, 6:38 pm

Well at the risk of sounding like a real anorak, its kind of like the time value of money. Its always better to have £100 now than in a year's time, because you could invest that £100 and gain interest on it. Similarly with a draft pick, a second rounder now could make a huge contribution during the year, which you aren't getting if you trade, so in compensation you get something a bit better than a 2nd round pick, obviously a 1st.

Definitely agree with you about the Rams though, Bradford needs to make a leap this year or next and they should be looking to be a playoff team within 3 years

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Sat 10 Mar 2012, 6:45 pm

in theory st louis should challenge with all they picks but st louis have been terrible in the draft for a while

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by GB1919 Sat 10 Mar 2012, 6:46 pm

I understand the basic economics of it but in a situation like the NFL where circumstances can change so quickly the value of being able to rely on a consistent number of quality young players coming through to your team year after year is crucial.

That being said maybe that gives the exact explanation of why 'Shanatan' has done the deal, he knows he needs a franchise QB and if he doesn't get one he won't have those future picks anyway as he'll be out of a job. The problems come if he does well enough to stay and then has to cope without them.

I guess you could say that I'm giving the Rams the win in this one.

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sat 10 Mar 2012, 7:56 pm

GB1919 wrote:I understand the basic economics of it but in a situation like the NFL where circumstances can change so quickly the value of being able to rely on a consistent number of quality young players coming through to your team year after year is crucial.

That being said maybe that gives the exact explanation of why 'Shanatan' has done the deal, he knows he needs a franchise QB and if he doesn't get one he won't have those future picks anyway as he'll be out of a job. The problems come if he does well enough to stay and then has to cope without them.

I guess you could say that I'm giving the Rams the win in this one.

I agree with you about the Rams having the edge, but if RG3 becomes one of the top 8 or so QBs in the league then this will be a deal that equals out. As niner said, the Rams haven't had the best draft picks for a while now so they are both gambling on potential, whether that be RG3's potential or the future Rams picks. I think it is a good trade for both teams

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sat 10 Mar 2012, 9:31 pm

bambamwillis wrote:Well at the risk of sounding like a real anorak, its kind of like the time value of money. Its always better to have £100 now than in a year's time, because you could invest that £100 and gain interest on it. Similarly with a draft pick, a second rounder now could make a huge contribution during the year, which you aren't getting if you trade, so in compensation you get something a bit better than a 2nd round pick, obviously a 1st.

Definitely agree with you about the Rams though, Bradford needs to make a leap this year or next and they should be looking to be a playoff team within 3 years
Yes it's better to have £100 now then to get it next year, but I think adding new players is slightly different, it's not as if Bradford is near the end of his career and they have to add those players now to capitalise, they'll still be able to add players that can spend their careers with Bradford in 2014. Also the value of the picks really depends on how the Skins do, if RGIII get's injured and they end up having another 5/6 win season they've given the Rams a top 10 pick, if he takes them to the Superbowl it's not worth anywhere near as much, getting future picks is pretty much gambling on the other franchises future success.

It looks to me like the Rams have got the better end of that deal just because of the number of picks they have to add talent to their roster, they should be challenging for the playoffs after the 2013 draft.

I'm actually quite glad the Browns didn't pay this much for RGIII, I don't think we're in the position to be able to give up that many 1st rounders, we don't have that many players that you can say they would start for other teams and we have to add talent to the team.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Sat 10 Mar 2012, 11:12 pm

This is a great deal for the Rams. From their perspective the deal had to be done now while the QB market is wide open. The later they left it, the less they would have got. Once Manning and Flynn have joined teams there will be less competition for RG3 and the teams interested wouldn't have had to bid as much.

The Redskins have definitely 'over bid' but have some nice salary cap space to spend in the free agency. I'm still not totally convinced on RG3. He will definitely win games and improve the Redskins offence but watching him in games and looking at his stats, the opposition's defence does get to him quite often and he does get sacked more than he probably should. Whether that is down to his style of play or poor decision making we will have to wait and see.

The Browns obviously didn't want to 'go all in' for RG3. They were happy to wait at fourth/ for the price to drop. They definitely didn't want to lose their 22nd pick. From what I have read they are quite keen on Brandon Weeden so drafting Justin Blackmon at 4th and then Weeden in the 2nd round would make alot of sense.

The Rams seem keen on Morris Claiborne and may still be in with a chance of getting him at 6th depending on what the Buccaneers do at 5th (Luck, RG3, Kalil, Blackmon, Richardson, Claiborne).
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Sat 10 Mar 2012, 11:59 pm

It's obviously still early days to say who has got the better end of this deal. Have to wait and see how good RG3 turns out to be and what St Louis do with the extra draft picks. In terms of his skill set, RG3 probably fits Shanahan's system perfectly so he had to make this deal. It's not like it decimates our drafts in 2013 and 2014 - we still have all our other picks in this years and if we get creative we can pick up additional ones. We've put our last 3 1st round picks to good use and hopefully this year's will now lockdown our QB position for a decade or so I think we can live with the price we paid especially given the cap room we have to go shopping in FA. This deal will help us immensely in attracting the FAs we're hoping to get, particularly guys like VJax or Colston assuming we do go after one of them.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Sun 11 Mar 2012, 6:28 pm

I'm with 25. Those picks will win nothing this year, so the Rams get some benefit now and the Skins potentially get a lot of benefit. As also stated, RGIII will be cheaper than any FA deal and that and cap space leaves us open to pick up OL and WR help in FA. We have RB's coming out our kazoo, and barring support at CB and possibly safety, our single biggest need is QB. Keep RGIII safe and healthy and from what I can see, he could be as good as Newton. With some help on the outside and some upgrades on D, we will be a contender in the division straight away.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sun 11 Mar 2012, 10:17 pm

Number-25 wrote:It's obviously still early days to say who has got the better end of this deal. Have to wait and see how good RG3 turns out to be and what St Louis do with the extra draft picks.
I would say I don't think it's possible to say St. Louis got a bad deal, they can use their side of the deal badly but no matter what way you look at it the picks they got in this deal means it will always be a good deal. Even if they spend all those picks drafting busts they got a good deal they will just have used it poorly. Probably need at least 2 or 3 years to judge how good the deal was for Washington, when we've had a chance to see how RGIII has helped them, but also when we can see who they've missed out on due to the picks given away. The deal does though help work as a recruiting tool when it comes to signing one of the FA WR's that are around.

mikeygnfl wrote:The Browns obviously didn't want to 'go all in' for RG3. They were happy to wait at fourth/ for the price to drop. They definitely didn't want to lose their 22nd pick. From what I have read they are quite keen on Brandon Weeden so drafting Justin Blackmon at 4th and then Weeden in the 2nd round would make alot of sense.
Apparently it was only our final offer that included the #22 pick but by then it was "too late" of course technically it can't possibly have been too late as the trades aren't even allowed to go through yet, but they obviously must have agreed to the Redskins deal.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Mon 12 Mar 2012, 10:40 am

According to the reports there's a handshake in place and it'll be ratified today.

To quote one comments, the Browns may well feel they were left a the altar. To be honest though, they were always in the driving seat and if they didn't offer what the Skins did I'd say it was largely because they haven't completely given up on McCoy. To give up so much for RGIII when you already have a young QB with a fair bit of potential upside already embedded in the team probably made them hesitate on the deal and let the Skins in. Thank you Mr Lerner.

NB I'm thinking the Skins re-sign Grossman to help the kid out and provide cover, and look at Colston and Jackson to bolster the WR corps, now Bowe's been franchised. If they can, then I reckon they'll then look at trading down with a couple of picks to stockpile depth.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Mon 12 Mar 2012, 4:02 pm

I'm still smiling!!!!

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Mon 12 Mar 2012, 4:54 pm

Me too! Very Happy

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mangler US_UK Mon 12 Mar 2012, 5:27 pm

I think the Skins overpaid a bit, but they got their man. I might have waited till the Manning thing was over and the dust settled because then some of the other FA QBs would have fallen into place and they could have maybe got RG3 at a lower price. But if RG3 leads them to the Promised Land then all is well.

The Mangler US_UK

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 12 Mar 2012, 5:49 pm

I reckon RG3 is going to be amazing, and when all is said and done, three first round picks for a franchise QB is a great price.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Mon 12 Mar 2012, 6:17 pm

skins4ever wrote:NB I'm thinking the Skins re-sign Grossman to help the kid out and provide cover, and look at Colston and Jackson to bolster the WR corps, now Bowe's been franchised. If they can, then I reckon they'll then look at trading down with a couple of picks to stockpile depth.
From what I've seen you'll be going after Jackson as your priority, read somewhere that the Chargers probably won't go over $11million a year, but Skins will be willing to pay more and he'll probably end up being the second highest paid WR behind Fitzgerald. How much would Grossman cost?

The Mangler US_UK wrote:I think the Skins overpaid a bit, but they got their man. I might have waited till the Manning thing was over and the dust settled because then some of the other FA QBs would have fallen into place and they could have maybe got RG3 at a lower price. But if RG3 leads them to the Promised Land then all is well.
Doing it now does mean that their offer can't be beaten, missing Manning could have been enough to give the Dolphins owner a mental breakdown and have made him put in a massive offer. Also it means the Rams can't get cold feet on dropping down to sixth, it will probably become clearer nearer to the draft which players the Browns and Bucs would be taking by looking at who they've signed in FA but now they can't back out even if it's likely Kalil, Blackmon and Claiborne are all gone.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Tue 13 Mar 2012, 2:12 pm

Grossman should play for free! Wink

He'd be relatively low price as he won't find that many teams vying for his services. Then again with the news about our cap being adjusted down after over spending last year we're not in quite as good a position with the cap as we were last week, so we won't go mad regardless. If Jackson wants stupid money he could well end up in Tampa.

Agree on the trade. Too many wanted a sniff at RGIII and would have come up with offers. We got in early with a great offer and took the element of risk away. Manning was never coming to DC and Flynn probably was too expensive for an unknown quantity so this is a good deal, and if he does turn into our franchise QB, he'd have been cheap at twice the price. Do you know how long its been since we had a QB we could truly get behind?!?!

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down