The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rhys Priestland-jurys still out..................

+12
hugo124
TJ1
eirebilly
Biltong
maestegmafia
Liam
GavinDragon
glamorganalun
Casartelli
bedfordwelsh
Shifty
senghenydd1913
16 posters

Go down

Rhys Priestland-jurys still out.................. Empty Rhys Priestland-jurys still out..................

Post by senghenydd1913 Sat 10 Mar 2012, 6:20 pm

was(and still am) willing to give him the benefit if the doubt but I'm afraid he was again found wanting today-didnt really boss the game and tactically was a bit naive-thoughts?
senghenydd1913
senghenydd1913

Back to top Go down

Rhys Priestland-jurys still out.................. Empty Re: Rhys Priestland-jurys still out..................

Post by Shifty Sat 10 Mar 2012, 6:25 pm

The more games he plays, the more teams analyse him, and the more they learn how to deal with him.

I still think he takes good options, but I do worry if he has the mental strength for international rugby.

I'm not sure a grand slam game is the one to risk him in, but Gatland has not played any other fly half so to make changes now after so many weeks would be crazy.

I think the more Priestland plays the more he will settle to international rugby, but in the short term we are in for some hairy moments from him. Though I trust Gatlands judgement, if he wants Priestland in, then lets back him.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Rhys Priestland-jurys still out.................. Empty Re: Rhys Priestland-jurys still out..................

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 10 Mar 2012, 6:27 pm

I will defend him to a degree and say that he hasn't got back to where he was before injury.

Pre and during WC he was head and shoulders above anyhting else we had to offer now he has come back to the rest of the group.

The problem being is that the rest of he group don't fill me with confidence either, if Priestland didn't get nod then I guess it would be Hook and sorry that fills me with dread at the moment.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sat 10 Mar 2012, 6:58 pm

The jury is no longer out - the verdict has been returned.

Decent celtic league player who hit top form in the pre-WC warm up games.

Not an international 10, unfortunately.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 10 Mar 2012, 6:59 pm

Cas,

So who would you start at 10 next week out of the squad we have. I guees it would be Hook but really?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sat 10 Mar 2012, 7:02 pm

He was very poor again, not as bad as last week but he was clueless most of the time. He did not get the fastest of service but not good enough, the problem is the same as the RWC nobody has had any game time it has all be wasted on an average club player.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sat 10 Mar 2012, 7:05 pm

indecisive at times, but crucially straightened (as he always does) the line to give roberts the space he needed for the try....not a great performance but he keeps his spot IMO

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sat 10 Mar 2012, 7:06 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Cas,

So who would you start at 10 next week out of the squad we have. I guees it would be Hook but really?

You have to start him - because it's all about the process and system in the pro game now- and we can't change it for the last game.

But he should not under any circumstances be allowed to try and run it or kick it.

Just pop up passes to North, Cuthbert and Roberts for 80 mins. We should still win.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 10 Mar 2012, 7:06 pm

I don't think there is any other option than him for next weekend but its definately an area that needs to be developed over the summer and AIs.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sat 10 Mar 2012, 7:09 pm

You can't change now, too much risk. If he's having a mare then take him off after 50 mins and give Hook a go. Give him a break, everyone has a bad couple of games, just needs to regain a bit of confidence, he still passes well, but with confidence it improves your overall kicking and running game.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 10 Mar 2012, 7:13 pm

He is not in his best form. But I would definitely start with him and if things aren't working bring Hook on.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 10 Mar 2012, 8:00 pm

His biggest problem I see is his tactical kicking. when Wales were clearly in the ascendancy he kicked possession away, the one time he didn't they ran through and scored.

He did look indicisive a few times, but that was becasue of the attempt by Italy to isolate hims and he looked like he lost confidence.

If the pressure gets too much, stand a little deeper for a few times and then edge closer as your confidence comes back.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 10 Mar 2012, 8:05 pm

Ok so he has had a couple of bad games. All players do but dont forget that it was only a few weeks ago that (after being relieved of kicking duties) that he dominated a very good Irish side and was instruemental in getting Wales into the position where they won a penalty and won the match.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Mar 2012, 8:09 pm

Not for me, the lad IS carrying a bad injury infact both knees need surgery even he has said so,this is obvious to anyone with half brain watching him play at the moment.

Also today Italy spent so much time off-side running at him that's why he looked indecisive at times.

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 10 Mar 2012, 8:15 pm

viewtothegym wrote:Not for me, the lad IS carrying a bad injury infact both knees need surgery even he has said so,this is obvious to anyone with half brain watching him play at the moment.
Also today Italy spent so much time off-side running at him that's why he looked indecisive at times.

I can assure you I have slightly more than half a brain, and have not yet heard he needs surgery and can most definitely not see he needs surgery.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 10 Mar 2012, 8:17 pm

biltong, Priestland has needed knee reconstruction now for nearly 8 months in his right knee OK
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Mar 2012, 8:18 pm

eirebilly wrote:biltong, Priestland has needed knee reconstruction now for nearly 8 months in his right knee OK
If this is true it seems a bit stupid on the part of Wales, the Scarlets and Priestland himself not to get it sorted out yet. His performances have really dropped off lately.

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Sat 10 Mar 2012, 8:19 pm

Better display today but by no means flawless

Stick with him. Especially if sticking with Philips - I don't think Phillips / Hook 9/10 combo works

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 10 Mar 2012, 8:20 pm

eirebilly wrote:biltong, Priestland has needed knee reconstruction now for nearly 8 months in his right knee OK

Thanks billy, the first I heard about it.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 10 Mar 2012, 8:22 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
If this is true it seems a bit stupid on the part of Wales, the Scarlets and Priestland himself not to get it sorted out yet. His performances have really dropped off lately.

I think that i read somewhere that its an optional operation for him. I have had both my knees done so know what its like. He may not have pain but it will affect him.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Mar 2012, 8:51 pm

I get the impression the coaching staff and Priestland are putting off his knee surgery, completely stupid in my eyes because it will catch up with him,maybe they plan on leaving him home this summer to get it sorted?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Mar 2012, 8:56 pm

eirebilly wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:

I think that i read somewhere that its an optional operation for him. I have had both my knees done so know what its like. He may not have pain but it will affect him.
I notworthy to your greater knowledge on knee matters. Yeah, even if it's not painful I would imagine it's still at the back of your mind, especially as a kicker.

Back to top Go down

Post by hugo124 Sat 10 Mar 2012, 10:41 pm

I told you all this would happen.

hugo124

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Sat 10 Mar 2012, 11:12 pm

He continues to kick away the ball aimlessly when we're in the oppositions half/22.. Terrible nuff said

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Sat 10 Mar 2012, 11:29 pm

I think the rush defence is so good that the 10 has to do some kicking to keep them honest.. Problem is RP is not accurate enough. He did one nice chip for Cuthbert, but otherwise kicked a lot of possession away, as noted by Jiffy.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by kunu Sun 11 Mar 2012, 1:38 am

He's got a big boot, can pull off some delicate touches, but that's about it. very little in the way of creativity. I suppose you don't need to be creative when your whole backline are absolute giants in fairness. He's the weakness in the welsh team though...
kunu
kunu

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 11 Mar 2012, 2:41 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:
eirebilly wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:

I notworthy to your greater knowledge on knee matters. Yeah, even if it's not painful I would imagine it's still at the back of your mind, especially as a kicker.
Gents, this is the first I heard of it too. But, if he needs a 'reconstruct' then it would never be optional. At least to stay as a professional athlete. If a reconstruct, then there is serious damage, something degenerative, or a major injury. Maybe a microfracture, which some refer to as a reconstruct, or a cartilage. But hard to see he needs a reconstruct. I really don't see symptoms of being limited. But he does seem a bit slow in his decision making, and tentative in attack and defence.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 11 Mar 2012, 9:44 am

Cheers doc. My knee surgury was an elective one. My doctor said that there was enough damage to warrent it but that i should try and avoid it until it was required.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down