The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf commentary/coverage

+22
ralphjohn69
Shotrock
LadyPutt
Dave The Jackal
ScottieD18
hend085
George1507
Fader
JAS
NedB-H
McLaren
navyblueshorts
Plunky
Hibbz
kwinigolfer
Sand
Faldono1fan
dynamark
Skydriver
mystiroakey
super_realist
incontinentia
26 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Golf commentary/coverage Empty Golf commentary/coverage

Post by incontinentia Thu 15 Mar 2012, 2:13 pm

Good day chaps,

Would any of you care to discuss the standard of golf commentary/coverage on television and who you consider the best and worst?

In general I find Sky way better than the golf channel/cbs. This is mainly because the americans like to use court jesters like Feherty and McCord to help with their coverage. Not too fond of Faldo and Miller either. On the other hand Ewen Murray is excellent for sky, really knowledgeable and insightful. Think Rob Lee and co. do a good job as well. The U.S. coverage usually contains a lot of bull about sponsors, military etc. which I think is a bit unnecessary.

Best: Ewen Murray, Peter Kostis, Ian Baker Finch, Frank Nobilo.
Worst:David Feherty, Gary McCord, Johnny Miller, Nick Faldo, Kelly Tilghman.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Golf commentary/coverage Empty Re: Golf commentary/coverage

Post by super_realist Thu 15 Mar 2012, 2:20 pm

Worst: Sam Torrance, Mark Roe Nick Faldo, Feherty
Best. Allis, Alex Hay (Dead) Bob Bubka

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 15 Mar 2012, 2:25 pm

Love bbc coverage the best-(no adverts and allis). Ony watch sky (not cbs) . However my problem is more about what we see !! and that is down to the american coverage!

The open and bbc are very good in comparison- we get to see much more golfers..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Thu 15 Mar 2012, 2:26 pm

I like Andrew Cotter - usually find his comments informative and entertaining.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 15 Mar 2012, 2:32 pm

Cotter annoys me because he can only say three words in between breaths.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 15 Mar 2012, 2:46 pm

Thought Alex Hay had been a bit quiet lately.
Some classics with him and Allis over the years.
he used to regularily say the line 'and hes playing a wee metal spoon'???

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Faldono1fan Thu 15 Mar 2012, 3:07 pm

Best - Faldo, Murray, Riley, Boxall

Worst - Alliss,Critchley,Roe,Miller,Torrance,James,Rob Lee

Alliss used to be good, but he is just out of touch now and I don't think Critchley has ever been in touch. I watch most golf with the sound turned down.

Faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Thu 15 Mar 2012, 3:36 pm

Critchley recently seems like hes lost his marbles for example he called Keegan Bradley, Bradley Keegan last week..

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 15 Mar 2012, 3:49 pm

Likes: Roger Maltbie, Peter Kostis, Andy North, Warren Humphreys, Gary Koch, Phillip Parkin, Judy Rankin

Dislikes: Mark Rolfing, Jay Townsend, Peter Jacobsen, Baker-Finch,

Good anchors: Rich Lerner, Dan Hicks

Don't much care about: Faldo, Miller, Nantz, McCord, Feherty - sometimes insightful, other times nauseating, especially when Feherty puts his "American" hat on.

The absolute worst: Mike Tirico
Runner up worst: Weiskopf

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Thu 15 Mar 2012, 3:57 pm

That Maureen Modildo irritates me. All whispery voiced and over dramatic. I also find Sam Torrance has little I want to hear and Mark Roe is overly fond of himself. Always laugh when I hear he has been giving Lee Westwood tips on his short game. As if you'd own up to that!

I like Wayne Riley but could imagine people finding him annoying and I also like Howard Clark. Think I'd have to say Tony Johnstone is my current favourite. Or maybe Butch Harmon though his eye is disconcerting.

I used to like Ken Brown but, much like David Lloyd in the cricket, has started to become a bit of a caricature of himself.

Oh and that coach/swing guru with the big tongue and lips always makes me want to put a drip tray under the tele.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Thu 15 Mar 2012, 4:01 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Likes: Roger Maltbie, Peter Kostis, Andy North, Warren Humphreys, Gary Koch, Phillip Parkin, Judy Rankin

Dislikes: Mark Rolfing, Jay Townsend, Peter Jacobsen, Baker-Finch,

Good anchors: Rich Lerner, Dan Hicks

Don't much care about: Faldo, Miller, Nantz, McCord, Feherty - sometimes insightful, other times nauseating, especially when Feherty puts his "American" hat on.

The absolute worst: Mike Tirico
Runner up worst: Weiskopf

Is Fehertys show any good (if you get it) on the golf channel, Kwini? Seen a bit of his interview with Sergio seemed quite a good interview although it was only clips ive seen.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Thu 15 Mar 2012, 4:21 pm

... and don't get kwini started on Bobby Clampett...

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 15 Mar 2012, 4:33 pm

God, don't get me started on Clampett . . . . .

Oh no!!!! Still chuckle about Freddie Jac being a top class tennis table player. Fortunately CBS seem to have paid the Champions Tour to let him in some tournaments. But we're still stuck with the ghastly cameos from Verne Lundquist.
Speaking of which, I used to really enjoy Ben Wright - he was unjustly thrown under the bus by CBS, pretty much black-balled for daring to speak a few home thruths about the LPGA Tour and some unwise stereotyping about their players.

Sand, I've never watched Feherty's show, don't particularly care for him and there's only so much prattle one can listen to, plus it's a difficult night for moi. Heard it's quite good though.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Thu 15 Mar 2012, 4:45 pm

I've watched Feherty's show very occasionally depending on who's on. Probably the only one I watched from start to finish was where he and Darren Clarke made soda bread together. I don't dislike Feherty (imo he's funnier than McCord but not half as funny as he thinks he is), but sometimes it's too much about him and not enough about the interviewee.

Phil Parkin's one of my favourites but don't seem to hear him too often.

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 15 Mar 2012, 6:41 pm

Actually, thinking about it, don't really like any of them that much. Hay was pretty insightful but I guess not any more!

They'd do a lot better with an enthusiastic and knowledgeable amateur golfer/fan than many of these ex-pros.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 15 Mar 2012, 7:25 pm

I cant believe no one has mentioned how terrible Bruce Critchley is. The drivel he talks is so unbearable.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 15 Mar 2012, 7:33 pm

They have Mac.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu 15 Mar 2012, 7:41 pm

Alliss and Hay were fantastic together 10 years or so ago, I still like Alliss but he's not as good as he was. I think Andrew Cotter is superb for the BBC now, shame they cover so little golf. Agree with Hibbz that Johnstone is the best on Sky; the only one of theirs I really don't like is Roe, over-opinionated with a seriously annoying voice. A lot of the Sky ones are basically interchangeable though, I have to be concentrating hard to know whether it's Murray, Critchley, Beddow or Boxall. Wayne Riley is good in the studio, especially when he's slagging off the PGA Tour, but too nuts for the on-course job they usually give him.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 15 Mar 2012, 7:47 pm

PS: Should have added a thumbsup for Oosterhuis,
and a raspberry to Kelly Tilghman, just awful.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 15 Mar 2012, 9:34 pm

I'm missing Dido Sad That is all!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Thu 15 Mar 2012, 9:45 pm

Commentary:

I like Faldo and his on course bit he does where he offers up advice on best way to play the holes, and I like him when he's in the box just giving opinion.

Nobilo does a decent job, but for the life of me I'd have Tilghman, McCordn and Fehertwat in front of a firing squad.

I like Allis and hos tales of yore, also like Denis Pugh and Simon Holmes for their insight into the game. But someone needs to hang Mark Roe seeing and hearing him salivate over Woods and Rory is cringeworthy.

Coverage: obviously BBC's uninterupted coverage is hard to beat but Sky do a good job especially considering they can only show what US broadcasters give them.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Fri 16 Mar 2012, 8:42 am

Less is more when it comes to commentating. Bill MacLaren was the best commentator I have heard on any sport. Of the golf commentators, Peter Alliss and Andrew Cotter are good, but all the Sky guys are terrible. Seeing them sitting in lounge suits on Sunday nights with Rob Lee (is that his name?) is just laughable. I don't watch much golf on TV I'm afraid.

Every time I do watch Sky, that Quiros advert where he's hitting it over the Bellagio fountain is on. It's on so often it drives me nuts. I think Sky should limit the number of times it's shown, just to preserve the sanity of their audience.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 16 Mar 2012, 8:46 am

Yeah lol the advert. its also a ridiculas concept. 'what other driver can do this'.....

Give any long hitting tour pro any driver from the last 20 years and i am sure the could pull it off.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Fri 16 Mar 2012, 8:55 am

The thing with that advert its only on that often as that is what the Callaway marketing machine are paying for. The fact it is on at literally every break shows how much Callaway are pumping into the RAZR marketing to maximise sales against the likes of the R11S and Rocketballz from TM.

The funny thing I find is you'd have thought in the US version of the ad campaign they'd have JB Holmes firing over the fountain instead of being the gimp just standing there, but no they still have JB as the gimp and Alvaro bombing it over the fountain.

Have to say I like Skys coverage but I agree what's the point in the suits better to be dressed as golfers do for their round, a smart polo and even a jumper would look better abd they are suitably dressed for the sport and shot centre. Could even pop a sky sports goif logo on them.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Fri 16 Mar 2012, 9:14 am

i noticed myself saying "premier banking from barclays" when i was taking a putt last weekend. from now on i think im gonna start an hour behind the sky coverage with sky plus and just fast forward thru the ads!

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 16 Mar 2012, 10:39 am

hend085 wrote:i noticed myself saying "premier banking from barclays" when i was taking a putt last weekend....
Laugh Now that is worrying.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 16 Mar 2012, 10:45 am

Did anyone read poulters attack on critchley?

When I put my red nike polo and black nike cap on I have to keep reminding myself that I am not tiger woods. The spitting and club throwing gets out of control otherwise.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 16 Mar 2012, 10:50 am

Have you got a link Mac?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 16 Mar 2012, 11:17 am

A link to poulter outburst;

http://www.espn.co.uk/golf/sport/story/137716.html
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Fri 16 Mar 2012, 11:29 am

Are ESPN now using bbc reporters, clearly can't get Bae Sang-Moon's name correct!

I saw that outburst on twitter when he first let rip at Critchley and in Poulters defence Critchley is awful and thinks he knows it all.

That said I'd have rather seen a more constructive and intelligent response from Poulter.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Fri 16 Mar 2012, 12:28 pm

I like Robert Lee in the studio as he asks the guests more interesting questions.

I like Wayne Riley on the course. Explains the situation well and normally funny.

I'm getting very bored with Critchley and Murrey. Feels like Murrey is in auto mode and both say the same things about the same players week after week.

Denis Pugh and Simon Holmes are good in the studio when they are anlysing the swings.

Tony Johnstone is great value. Comes across as a really nice guy and very modest about his ability and achievements and obviously has a real passion for golf.

I liked Marc Roe when he first joined sky, but he tired quickly. He sucks up to the players too much, especially Tiger.

Howared Clark does my head in. On the course he's okay, but when he tries to commentate his command of English lets him down time, after time........... Please listen to him next time and you'll see the amount of times the first half of a sentence totally conflicts the second half of a sentence.

I still have a soft spot for Alliss though. Can get tiring, but when he is on form he is still the best.

Funny Bobby Clamplett came up as I recall watching the bbc coverage of Amen Corner. It was a feed from US and poor Bobby was on his tod. He was worst than hopeless. After every shot he would say "good compression there". The next group that came over the hill was three Europeans. Cant' recall who they were now, but not the famous ones. Poor Bobby obviously had lost the starting times list and then had to commentate on their second shots without mentioning the players names, but trying to hide the fact. Almost fell off my seat laughing.

Thank goodness Tony Jaklin's commentating days are long over. His favourite line after a great shot would be "what can I say about that shot". Sorry Tony, but I kind off think that's basically what the job is.

Of the current players, who do we think would make good commentators in the future?

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 16 Mar 2012, 12:34 pm

Scottie

"I'm getting very bored with Critchley and Murrey. Feels like Murrey is in auto mode and both say the same things about the same players week after week."

That is spot on, time for sky to freshen things up a little.

"Of the current players, who do we think would make good commentators in the future?"

Jeff Ogilvy always seems to have an interesting point of view and also understands golf course architecture.

I reckon phil mickelson would be ok as well, not sure why really.

Ernie was a real bore when he took to the mic at one event last year.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 16 Mar 2012, 12:37 pm

I think Mac would make a good commentator, his ramblings about course architecture and dewey eyed sentimentality about gutties and hickories, while making innappropriate comments about the under age spectators will fill the void when Alliss kicks the bucket.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 16 Mar 2012, 12:47 pm

Good question Scottie!

I always thought Craig Stadler would be very good, but a bit late for him now.

And who'd thought Phil Parkin would be really quite good?!

Ogilvy would be top of my list too, Mac, very knowledgeable, very opinionated too.

Best I've heard for a long time was the cameo pairing of Gary Christian and Gavin Coles taking over commentary duties at a Nationwide event last year, very funny but perhaps a little disrespectful for Network prime time!

Azinger used to be very good but a bit bitter and twisted in his more recent efforts - not sure what's up there.

But Paul Casey might be good, usually got something slightly offbeat to say.

Most American pros very "cookie cutter" in their vocabulary and view of the world, a la Peter Jacobsen.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 16 Mar 2012, 12:50 pm

Plus some of them are appalling at pronunciation.

Burn-Hard Langg-Her or Sorren Ki-leeed-sen.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 16 Mar 2012, 12:52 pm

Imagine if harrington did a commentary?

It would be like the radio version of one flew over the cookoo's nest.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 16 Mar 2012, 12:53 pm

I think he just looks like an idiot/serial killer Mac A lot of Irish have that somewhat glaikit look, He's a qualified accountant so can't be that thick.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 16 Mar 2012, 12:56 pm

Wow love the word glaikit, my dad who is a bit old school in terms of langauge used to use it.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave The Jackal Fri 16 Mar 2012, 1:14 pm

hend085 wrote:i noticed myself saying "premier banking from barclays" when i was taking a putt last weekend. from now on i think im gonna start an hour behind the sky coverage with sky plus and just fast forward thru the ads!

IMO it's the ONLY way to watch Sky coverage, mate ... and you can also x30 through Keegan Bradley's interminable pre-shot routine! Is it just me, or is that becoming THE most annoying thing in golf?! You'll need to give the coverage far longer than ONE hour of a start though. Try 3 hours minimum.

PS - Yes, "glaikit" is a magnificent word. Would apply equally to Mickelson. Love the guy, but he has a constantly "glaikit" expression, if ever there was one!

Dave The Jackal

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Fri 16 Mar 2012, 1:20 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:PS: Should have added a thumbsup for Oosterhuis,
and a raspberry to Kelly Tilghman, just awful.
How can you like Oosterhuis when he seems to think that everything he says is funny and has to laugh at the end (and often in the middle) of every sentence? He is intensely annoying and I can't stand him. raspberry
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 16 Mar 2012, 1:25 pm

The worst thing about the golf coverage is not the wretched commentary but the insular and flag waving American directors who point blank refuse to show sufficient coverage of the bloody foreigners, even if they are tearing it up and in contention, this is eventually compounded by the commentators who don't give the ROW players sufficient credit and can't get their names right or where they come from.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 16 Mar 2012, 1:33 pm

super_realist wrote:The worst thing about the golf coverage is not the wretched commentary but the insular and flag waving American directors who point blank refuse to show sufficient coverage of the bloody foreigners, even if they are tearing it up and in contention, this is eventually compounded by the commentators who don't give the ROW players sufficient credit and can't get their names right or where they come from.

thumbsup

to be honest i dont take to much notice of the commentary anyway!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Fri 16 Mar 2012, 2:38 pm

McLaren wrote:Imagine if harrington did a commentary?

It would be like the radio version of one flew over the cookoo's nest.

I hear that Padraig is known for being able to talk the fore AND hind legs off a donkey...

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Fri 16 Mar 2012, 3:29 pm

Did anyone catch McGinley on sky during the matchplay. He was hopeless. There were more "18 holes matchplay is like playing 1 set in tennis" from Ginley than spits from Keegan Bradley.

I thought Lawrie did a good job for sky at last year's Ryder Cup. Good to see he used the experience to motivate him to get his game back.

Andrew Coltart brings something fresh when he's on sky. Great fun listening to him and Robert Lee slating Keegan Bradley for spitting and the US commentators for not critising the behavour. Pity he has a Gordon Brown thing going on when he speaks and sounds an old James Bond when you shut your eyes.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 16 Mar 2012, 3:33 pm

It's not the commentary that's the worst for me; it's the camera work and/or production. Who the Hell wants to watch putt after putt after putt after putt? If it's not that, it's mainly pre-shot stuff and there is rarely anything that shows a watcher what the ball's doing in flight.

TBH, much as I love playing the game, it's a pretty poor TV spectator sport most of the time.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 16 Mar 2012, 3:36 pm

BTW, what is the problem with Keegan Bradley and his spitting? He's not doing it in anyone's face is he? I don't think it's particularly attractive myself but it's hardly up there with more serious crimes is it? Spitting is perfectly acceptable in many parts of the World.

Reminds me of the typical furore when a footballer spits on another but how little is said about the typical 'robust' (i.e. career-threatening) challenge...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 16 Mar 2012, 3:39 pm

McLaren wrote:A link to poulter outburst;

http://www.espn.co.uk/golf/sport/story/137716.html
Interesting and classy outburst from Poulter. Maybe Critchley hit a nerve?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 16 Mar 2012, 3:43 pm

I think it's that spitting is completely uneccessary, plus the fact he does it about every 30 seconds.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 16 Mar 2012, 4:25 pm

Super

You missed the fact there is just something deeply unlikable about braddley.

If he doanted all his earnings to an aids charity it would seem like a terrible act.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 16 Mar 2012, 4:50 pm

Petty basic stuff: American golf broadcasting is built to attract and retain as many viewers as possible. They are very skilled at doing it. If you want to suggest that it's an "anti ROW" conspiracy, go crazy, but it's really nothing more than private broadcasting in a well-oiled money machine.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next