The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Handicap protection

+3
hend085
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
4putt
7 posters

Go down

Handicap protection Empty Handicap protection

Post by 4putt Mon 19 Mar 2012, 11:49 am

As some of you might remember, I organise the local golf society in my local town of Udon Thani, Thailand.
Today I decided to put myself out in a 4-ball, which included an Aussie guy who plays off a handicap of 8. This as the first time I had played with him. I had heard rumours that he was difficult to get along with so thought I'd get some first hand experience.
He had a reasonable front 9 of 41. The back 9 was better, including a couple of birdies. On the 18th tee I'm sure I heard him say to someone he was 3 over par. His tee shot was right into the trees, he hit a good second, just to the right and beyond the green. He then chipped on to 10 feet, missed the putt and then proceeded to 6 putt from 4 feet. It would have been 7 putt but I gave him a 1 foot putt which he attempted and missed. To me, this was the worse case I have ever seen of handicap protection.
To compound my problem, he didn't hand a card in and for some mysterious reason the person who was marking his card didn't put his score down for the back 9!!
I'd appreciate opinions on how I should deal with this?

4putt

Back to top Go down

Handicap protection Empty Re: Handicap protection

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Mon 19 Mar 2012, 12:42 pm

Shooting is too good for him. furious

Do what they do officially & count the 10 as a double-bogey or count his stableford score & cut him using that.
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Mon 19 Mar 2012, 1:45 pm

is it a local rule of the society that all cards must be returned?
if you are the organiser than i think you should cut him based on the General Play rule. (19.8 or something like that)
How dim must the guy be to do it in front of the organiser so blatantly.

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 19 Mar 2012, 3:44 pm

Hit him (metaphorically!) hard. What a berk. Setup's suggestions ought to work I would have thought.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 19 Mar 2012, 4:54 pm

Im not sure what you can do. He clearly isnt that interested in winning whatever your society prize happens to be otherwise he would have played to win. So he is hardly a threat to anyone in that sense surely ? Is he just playing it for fun ?
And if he isnt handing you a card you cant exactly refuse to sign it. I guess you can kick him out of your society but I cant really see what effect his actions are having on your group to be honest.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 19 Mar 2012, 5:15 pm

Why would anyone want to protect their handicap?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by 4putt Tue 20 Mar 2012, 12:46 am

Thanks for the replies. I've made a few inquires and apparently he's going back to Australia in June so I'll let sleeping dogs lie.
Incidentally I had another issue with him on the 9th. He hit a great drive which just run off the fairway into some thick semi where the mower had to go round the 100yard post. The post restricted his back swing so I said, "move it", so he picks up his ball and drops it on the fairway!!!. I told him I meant the post not the ball to which he replied, "you never see a pro move a marker post". He dropped the ball back in the semi and moved the marker post.

4putt

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Tue 20 Mar 2012, 6:46 am

If he had shot a 9 or 10 at the last hole then he would not have fully protected his handicap. The system is based on no hole being worst than scoring 0 stableford points at any hole. If the last hole was a par 4 and he had a shot, then his 10 counts as a 7.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down