The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Buncey BoxNation's thumb?

+12
oxring
ShahenshahG
paperbag_puncher
manos de piedra
School Project
JabMachineMK2
Union Cane
Mind the windows Tino.
Seanusarrilius
Rowley
two_tone
Josef K.
16 posters

Go down

Is Buncey BoxNation's thumb? Empty Is Buncey BoxNation's thumb?

Post by Josef K. Wed 21 Mar 2012, 2:05 pm

Very quiet on his usually active twitter feed re: Brook's performance at the weekend, but had plenty to say about Macklin. Didn't see his boxing hour on monday, but on the youtube clips there was nothing about the fight; usually he loves a good domestic fight.

All he could offer after the fight was this:-

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/others/bunce-on-boxing-sykes-bragging-offers-brook-a-cautionary-tale-7578091.html

Albeit an interesting - but irrelevant - cautionary tale comparing Brook calling out Khan to late 70s S.Yorks heavyweight Paul Sykes, essentially a thug who's notoriety gained him a shot at Joe Bugner, who's life seemed doomed from a young age. Pretty insulting stuff to Brook really.

Warren is notorious for his bitterness and flippant nature towards any British fighter who has left him, rejected or basically isn't part of his stable. Has his influence on BoxNation and Steve's bank balance caused this? Or am I just being biased because I don't particularly like either of them?

I'm a little worried this could be the start of some kind of split in UK boxing? Matchroom and co. on one side and Warren and his boys on the other.

Thoughts?

Josef K.

Back to top Go down

Is Buncey BoxNation's thumb? Empty Re: Is Buncey BoxNation's thumb?

Post by two_tone Wed 21 Mar 2012, 2:17 pm

Could become a Top Rank v GBP on a smaller scale although I think Matchroom seem to have the right idea how to go about things. Quite impresed with how Hatton is coming along as well. Warren is a tool and keeps his fighters going for as long as possible since he has the WBO firmly in his pocket. If he can avoid them having a challenge he will, case and point Cleverly.

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 21 Mar 2012, 2:41 pm

Bunce is a clown, is a fascinating enough story but has about as much to do with Kell Brook as does the fact I am having fish for my tea tonight, having the loudmouth blowhard stuck away on boxnation where I don't have to endure his increasingly tedious schtick is the only saving grace of the channel.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 21 Mar 2012, 2:47 pm

Warren made a big mistake leaving Sky sports for Boxnation IMO. It is going to fail in longrun, there is nothing there. Bunce can't hold it together and SKy sports still put on a ringside show and have the Matchroom stable. It is just bad for British boxing all around for it to be fragmented like this. Does Warren think he can keep us interested with Enzo Mac's LH run and Clevs terrrible WBO defences? Now he is getting Groves a crack at the WBO so we can suffer his terrible defences, should he win. Groves isn't ready to be a (suddo) world champ - bottom line. Burns v Mitchell that is good but ...

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 21 Mar 2012, 2:52 pm

alma wrote:I turned over and watched some nails being scraped down a blackboard as it was more enjoyable

What channel was that on?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 21 Mar 2012, 2:54 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
alma wrote:I turned over and watched some nails being scraped down a blackboard as it was more enjoyable

To be fair that happens in Jaws so if it was that he caught that is setting the bar pretty high for Buncey because it is a classic.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 21 Mar 2012, 2:57 pm

rowley wrote:

To be fair that happens in Jaws so if it was that he caught that is setting the bar pretty high for Buncey because it is a classic.

"I value my neck a lot more than three thousand bucks, chief. I'll find him for three, but I'll catch him, and kill him, for ten".

Agreed. Utterly brilliant film.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 21 Mar 2012, 2:59 pm

I believe that the sensation experienced when listening to nails scraping a blackboard is due to the fact that the frequency of the sound matches exactly the frequency of the distress / alarm calls of various monkeys, and is hardwired into our DNA to produce a reaction whereby the overwhelming instinct is to get away from the source of the sound.

I could be wrong though.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 21 Mar 2012, 3:01 pm

rowley wrote:

"I value my neck a lot more than three thousand bucks, chief. I'll find him for three, but I'll catch him, and kill him, for ten".

Agreed. Utterly brilliant film.

You see the problem Tina, like you my love of Jaws is pretty much complete so if Alma is indeed saying Buncey is less entertaining than Jaws, whilst he is undoubtedly right I do feel he is expecting too much from the much maligned journalist turned presenter.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed 21 Mar 2012, 3:07 pm

Bunce is a "sensationalist" brand of boxing pundit. He will try to make Nathan Cleverly look interesting, he'll try to defend Frank Warren and his shameless matchmaking to protect fighters, but then pour vitrol on anyone acting in a similar vein.

I know a guy who used to work with him and he thinks he's a bar-steward too.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 21 Mar 2012, 3:12 pm

Okay, what in heaven's name has that got to do with Brook. Just write a story about this prison bum and leave Brook out of it.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Josef K. Wed 21 Mar 2012, 3:38 pm

JabMachineMK2 wrote:Bunce is a "sensationalist" brand of boxing pundit. He will try to make Nathan Cleverly look interesting, he'll try to defend Frank Warren and his shameless matchmaking to protect fighters, but then pour vitrol on anyone acting in a similar vein.

I know a guy who used to work with him and he thinks he's a bar-steward too.

His persistence in calling Burns's performance a 'masterclass' was ridiculous. Yes he was very good, but I can't see us ever being able to call a Burns performance a masterclass; he's just not that silky a fighter - appreciate him for what he is.

It's a shame that when great fighters like SRL did a few weeks back, choose to engage with the British boxing public, generally he's the man that greets them.

Josef K.

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Wed 21 Mar 2012, 5:05 pm

Buncey has his seat on the Ring Magazines board... this has given him the sense that he knows all. The sad fact is, regardless of his knowledge of the sweet science, I would rather listen to Smith, McCrory and McGuigan all day long over that fat mockney armchair boxer.

I remember his rant on Setanta about Max Kellerman, calling him amateurish and saying he didn't seem interested in Boxing. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but the Kellermans grew up and were pretty darned obsessed by the sport. Plus his interviews and questions leading up to fights are balanced and reserved...

Something Buncey now lacks since he has been given more air time.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 21 Mar 2012, 5:13 pm

It's a shame Trussman isn't here to defend Mr Bunce...
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 21 Mar 2012, 5:26 pm

I cant stand Bunce, or at least his cartoon persona. But I find myself confused as to what hes trying to be? Whats the point of him?

Is he meant to be a credible boxing authority pitched at the hardcore boxing fan?

Is he meant to be an enthusiatic charicature pitched at the armchair fan?

Is he a showman or an advertiser?

Does he try to tell us what he really thinks?

Does he tell us what we want to hear?

He seems to want to be all of the above rolled into one but it just doesnt work. The end result is just loud, confusing and hard to take seriously in any way - which would be fine if he didnt expect people to take his ramblings at face value. But he seems to think people should. Hes like Racings John McCririck.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Wed 21 Mar 2012, 5:28 pm

manos de piedra wrote:Hes like Racings John McCririck.

Great comparison.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 21 Mar 2012, 5:54 pm

He rminds of Killian in the running man.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Josef K. Wed 21 Mar 2012, 6:05 pm

alma wrote:
paperbag_puncher wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:Hes like Racings John McCririck.

Great comparison.

bit unfair. Mccririck is an utter utter tool and a horrible man. Even made his wife travel economy class whilst he sat up front in first class. Bunce may be a comical fool but I don't think he's a nasty piece of work. I may be wrong.

I think boxing terms were being referred to, not his domestic life.

Josef K.

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed 21 Mar 2012, 6:17 pm

Bunce apparently is quite knowledgeable "in the flesh". He certainly doesn't come across that way on the airwaves though.

Always positive about a UK fighter - I remember him on Haye - suggesting that Haye had somehow done better than all of Wlad's previous oppos - given that he survived 12 rounds. Depends what you want I suppose - but surely Peter, who put him down in a close but clear win for Wlad - gave a better effort...

It felt like ridiculous hyperbole, given Haye's recent non-effort.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Wed 21 Mar 2012, 8:15 pm

Does anyone listen to his BBC London show? I occasionally download the podcast as I like Ron Boddy's input on the Amateurs. However, it amazes me the amount of times Bunce is incorrect. He often gets fighter's names and records wrong, even when directly speaking to them. I know that he does have a lot of guests on each week, but he gets even the basics wrong on occasion. Maybe I'm being overcritical, but it makes me wonder, that behind the bluster and hyperbole, maybe he isn't all that knowledgable.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 21 Mar 2012, 8:24 pm

6oldenbhoy wrote:Does anyone listen to his BBC London show? I occasionally download the podcast as I like Ron Boddy's input on the Amateurs. However, it amazes me the amount of times Bunce is incorrect. He often gets fighter's names and records wrong, even when directly speaking to them. I know that he does have a lot of guests on each week, but he gets even the basics wrong on occasion. Maybe I'm being overcritical, but it makes me wonder, that behind the bluster and hyperbole, maybe he isn't all that knowledgable.

Its hard to know with him. He always seems to have several agendas that hes trying to sell.

For instance both before and after the Haye/Valuev fight Ive heard him describe Valuev as unbeaten before Haye defeated him. Im not sure whether this was actually a case of him not knowing Valuev had lost before or simply choosing to ignore it for dramatic purposes. It basically sums him up though. I dont think he has any credibility.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 Mar 2012, 8:26 pm

He is boxing's answer to Tim Westwood. For those of you who don't know who Tim Westwood is then I envy each and every one of you.

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed 21 Mar 2012, 9:48 pm

Am with Manos here. For anyone who follows boxing NOT to know that Valuev lost to Chagaev is ridiculous - you simply can't miss things like that. This isn't some minor straw-weight alphabelt fight - this is him failing to consider a massive upset.

Hyperbole, hyperbole and yet more hyperbole - his MO - although apparently - in the flesh - he seems a down to earth knowledgeable bloke.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 21 Mar 2012, 10:48 pm

6oldenbhoy wrote:Does anyone listen to his BBC London show? I occasionally download the podcast as I like Ron Boddy's input on the Amateurs. However, it amazes me the amount of times Bunce is incorrect. He often gets fighter's names and records wrong, even when directly speaking to them. I know that he does have a lot of guests on each week, but he gets even the basics wrong on occasion. Maybe I'm being overcritical, but it makes me wonder, that behind the bluster and hyperbole, maybe he isn't all that knowledgable.

Haha, a classic I like was when he played a soundbite of the Khan vs Maidana fight when the winner was being announced.

Bunce said "ahhh il never forget that but when the unforgettable Michael Buffer announced the winner"

You must have forgot it Buncey because it was Joe Martinez who did the announcer that night . Buffers voice must have slipped your mind afterall haha
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 22 Mar 2012, 9:41 am

It is hard to know with Bunce whether he is just trying to be controversial or play up to his character, remember him doing his top five cruisers on his old Setanta show and he had Glenn McCrory in there, there is a line where controversial tips into just talking out of your pipe and do think Buncey sometimes crosses this line far too frequently to be taken seriously, pity because beyond all the bluster and bs he does seem reasonably knowledgeable.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Thu 22 Mar 2012, 9:59 am

The bloke confuses me. I feel like I should like him, he loves the sport and is enthusiastic about it, but he just doesn't come across 'right'. Nothing showed that up more than when Anthony Crolla stood next to him the other day on Boxnation for the Burns fight. Crolla looked like he had a life time of presenting experience in comparison!

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 22 Mar 2012, 10:01 am

Bunce just blows hot air. He's far to excitable and talks absolute garbage. I can't stand him. I used to like him before boxnation but he's on the TV far to often now. He just annoys me. He puts adios at the end of all his tweets as well.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down