The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has the push for faster courts begun?

+5
Calder106
sirfredperry
noleisthebest
bogbrush
Tennisanorak
9 posters

Go down

Has the push for faster courts begun? Empty Has the push for faster courts begun?

Post by Tennisanorak Thu 22 Mar 2012, 10:58 am

Speaking to the press this afternoon at the Sony Ericsson Open Miami, Andy Murray addressed the ever-changing speed of the courts at the tournament.

Indian Wells was said to be extremely slow, and according to Murray, the courts in Miami are even slower thanks to the humid air.

“The courts at Indian Wells are very slow,” Murray said. “They’re also very slow here, too. I mean, the ball, because of the dry air in the desert, is faster than it is here, so the court plays a bit slower here.”

These comments from Murray can be read as a continuation of his comments after Dubai where he said Federer might still be the top player if court speeds were faster.

This year, there has already been so much of talk about the slowness of surfaces that it's become tough to ignore. How long before the authorities decide to act on this? I think it all started with the AO semifinal and final both of which lasted for too long with an impatient public possibly beginning to lose interest. Then came Dubai like a breath of fresh air before the slow courts made their dreaded appearance at Indian Wells.

I think people saw a fast tournament sandwiched between two slow ones and have made their preference clear in unequivocal terms.

It isn't a surprise- which player wants to be out there for hours on end playing endless rallies? The novelty wears thin real quick!

Tennisanorak

Back to top Go down

Has the push for faster courts begun? Empty Re: Has the push for faster courts begun?

Post by bogbrush Thu 22 Mar 2012, 11:09 am

Too early to say, but the commentators are starting to mention it more frequently and as I predicted for a while, the TV simply won't tolerate these crazily long matches routinely.

It'll change, and fairly soon I think but perhaps gradually.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Has the push for faster courts begun? Empty Re: Has the push for faster courts begun?

Post by noleisthebest Thu 22 Mar 2012, 11:18 am

Rubbish!
Already looking fir an excuse...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 22 Mar 2012, 11:23 am

Are some of these hard courts now playing so slowly that some of the courts in the upcoming clay court season will actually be faster than IW and Miami?

Last edited by sirfredperry on Thu 22 Mar 2012, 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Thu 22 Mar 2012, 12:32 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Rubbish!

?? Don't see anyone on this thread making excuses.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 22 Mar 2012, 1:51 pm

You mean Murray?

I doubt that.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 22 Mar 2012, 3:25 pm

bogbrush wrote:
You mean Murray?

I doubt that.

Murray might even endup winning this, so why would he even seek an excuse. This year Muzza gonna finish 2nd in the rankings.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu 22 Mar 2012, 3:28 pm

Because of his last year's "success"?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 22 Mar 2012, 3:32 pm

I think it's harsh on Murray. Remember that he talked about fast courts just after Federer duffed him up in Dubai, so he could hardly be said to be trumpeting something in his favour there.

I think on the general point there seems to be a growing recognition that the pendulum may have swung too far. My view is that for TV events these Slam finals have become unweildy and the game will have to change if only for that purpose.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu 22 Mar 2012, 3:35 pm

There was none of that talk last year. You tell me why?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 22 Mar 2012, 3:35 pm

Maybe Murray is just sad that Federer isn't number one...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Mar 2012, 4:03 pm

Could it be.. is it possible..

that HE and NITB finally agree on something?

ghost

emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Thu 22 Mar 2012, 4:27 pm

Q. Have you been hitting mainly here or at the university?
ANDY MURRAY: I hit here every practice except one. I hit at the courts off site in the Key Colony.
But, yeah, I have been here the rest of the time. The courts at the university are much quicker than here. They repainted the ones here only a few weeks ago. They were just starting to do that when I was training here before Dubai. So the court is a bit slower.

Q. Are you finding the courts here faster than Indian Wells? What's your take on that?
ANDY MURRAY: I mean, the courts at Indian Wells are very slow. They're also very slow here, too. I mean, the ball, because of the dry air in the desert, is faster than it is here, so the court plays a bit slower here.

A couple of straight answers to questions. No saying it favours/doesn't favour me/anyone else.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Mar 2012, 4:35 pm

Yeah I've always felt that Miami plays slightly slower that IW's.

It turns out that the rumour about Miami being faster this year may not be quite true, as Andy indicates. Gilbert also tweeted today that the outer courts are playing quite quickly but the centre court is as slow as ever.

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 22 Mar 2012, 6:34 pm

I hope Wimbledon provide a fast court with heavy balls than slow grass with loopy balls.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri 23 Mar 2012, 1:45 am

bogbrush wrote:Too early to say, but the commentators are starting to mention it more frequently and as I predicted for a while, the TV simply won't tolerate these crazily long matches routinely.

Totally agree with this. TV will not stand for long matches in a long run. When Federer and Nadal go into a Wimbledon final and come out of it after a many-hour one-off classic, that is one thing, but nobody (well, at least nobody that matters Smile ) is interested in watching say Murray and Novak slugging it out for 5 hrs every other slam.

I just hope they accomplish shortening of the matches through something simple - like different court speed or stricter policing of time between the points - rather than through something more drastic - e.g., changes to the scoring system.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 24 Mar 2012, 2:01 am

Well the finals between Djoko or Nad may have been everlasting lately but their respective draws have been dealt with just too easily. The fans could lose interest in seeing the same final every time and catch the highlights later instead.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Tennisanorak Sat 24 Mar 2012, 9:58 am

NITB, I really don't think Murray is looking for excuses. This is a tournament he has already won. He isn't thinking at what is good for him in the short term, but what is good for him in the long term. Surely, players wouldn't want their careers shortened by 6 hour "epics"? Look at Nole- if he were in this form in the 1990s, he could have looked forward to a few years of dominance. The biggest question mark over him is whether all the running and retrieving is beginning to take its toll on him. He might end up winning fewer slams because he is forced to play a game that leads to less career span, all because the conditions have been slowed down. Even the ATP must wonder whether they want shorter reigns by dominant players or longer Federer-esque or Sampras-esque reigns. This is in addition to long finals leading to complaints from television channels.

Tennisanorak

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat 24 Mar 2012, 10:48 am

Tennisanorak wrote:NITB, I really don't think Murray is looking for excuses. This is a tournament he has already won. He isn't thinking at what is good for him in the short term, but what is good for him in the long term. Surely, players wouldn't want their careers shortened by 6 hour "epics"? Look at Nole- if he were in this form in the 1990s, he could have looked forward to a few years of dominance. The biggest question mark over him is whether all the running and retrieving is beginning to take its toll on him. He might end up winning fewer slams because he is forced to play a game that leads to less career span, all because the conditions have been slowed down. Even the ATP must wonder whether they want shorter reigns by dominant players or longer Federer-esque or Sampras-esque reigns. This is in addition to long finals leading to complaints from television channels.
My question remains the same:Why now?
Federer won on those same courts and is still winning in them at the age of 30. If
Murray is worried about the wear and tear, he should change his playing style.

Last edited by noleisthebest on Sat 24 Mar 2012, 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Phone auto spelling madness)

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Sat 24 Mar 2012, 11:06 am

I still don't see any excuse or agenda in what Murray said. It was a press conference during which a question was asked regarding how the court speed in Miami equated to that in IW. He gave a straight and informative answer. He didn't say that the courts should be faster/slower or that they would favour anyone. As he had trained in Miami before going to Dubai he was able to relay information that the courts had been painted recently.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat 24 Mar 2012, 11:14 am

Calder106 wrote:I still don't see any excuse or agenda in what Murray said. It was a press conference during which a question was asked regarding how the court speed in Miami equated to that in IW. He gave a straight and informative answer. He didn't say that the courts should be faster/slower or that they would favour anyone. As he had trained in Miami before going to Dubai he was able to relay information that the courts had been painted recently.

You're probably right. Just another media blow & pump.
And I fell for it! Doh

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 24 Mar 2012, 11:51 am

The biggest question mark over him is whether all the running and retrieving is beginning to take its toll on him.
I'm thinking it is now. The halo of energy seems to have escaped him since that final he just didn't look interested at all in breaking Isner's serve in the 2nd or 3rd sets which is startling!

NITB thumbsup
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down