The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rory Burns

5 posters

Go down

Rory Burns Empty Rory Burns

Post by MuchHappierSurreyFan Sat 24 Mar 2012, 5:35 pm

Any of us Surrey fans know much about this kid???

I have to admit I dont keep up to date with the youngsters as much as I should.
He is obviously rated to be given a run out at Essex and the reports suggest he was one of our better batsman and in the
second innings was looking really good before getting a jaffer.

MuchHappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

Rory Burns Empty Re: Rory Burns

Post by Guest Sat 24 Mar 2012, 5:59 pm

must say i dont know much about him, however surrey are certainly brigning some good youngsters through.

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 24 Mar 2012, 8:07 pm

MuchHappier - I haven't seen him play but know he's well thought of at the Oval. He was given a two year contract at the end of 2010 and played quite a bit of academy and second eleven cricket last season.

He also came on as a sub fielder (outfield, not keeper) for England during the last Oval Test. That wouldn't have happened if he wasn't regarded as sensible and reliable.

He's only played one first class match so far. Unfortunately, it was the debacle at Fenner's when we were thrashed by the Cambridge students. However, unlike most of the others, he managed to emerge with some credit. A couple of catches as keeper and a few runs.

He's getting his pre-season opportunity as Steve Davies is bench warming for England in Sri Lanka and Gary Wilson has been playing (very effectively) for Ireland in the World T20 qualifiers in Dubai. Difficult to see him breaking through soon but if he continues to take his chances, who knows? We would certainly have been in the soup against Essex last week without his and Tommy Lancefield's knocks.

Hope he continues to do well in next week's friendly at Somerset.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Sat 24 Mar 2012, 11:43 pm

I don't know anything about him but i think there is a chance he'll play our first CC match as Wilson may still be away.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 02 Apr 2012, 10:01 pm

Burns clearly shown his batting ability with a century in the warm up match just finished.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Croquet Mon 02 Apr 2012, 11:22 pm

Real talent. Probably the best batsman to come out of the mccu system. Won the Walter Lawrence trophy in his only year playing for Cardiff mccu with something like 230*. If Surrey don't use him well this year I fear we might lose him elsewhere!

Croquet

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 02 Apr 2012, 11:26 pm

Croquet - a very warm welcome. Look forward to further Surrey and cricket chat during the next few months.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Apr 2012, 8:17 am

im sure burns will play in davies's absence, he's a hell of a lot better than wilson!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down