The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayweather declares - "5 more fights, and im gone!"

+8
Valero's Conscience
Super D Boon
ShahenshahG
Rowley
88Chris05
Union Cane
manos de piedra
d260005p
12 posters

Go down

Mayweather declares - "5 more fights, and im gone!" Empty Mayweather declares - "5 more fights, and im gone!"

Post by d260005p Mon 26 Mar 2012, 10:00 am

So guys, what do we think of Money Mays latest comments?

He states he will have 5 more after Cotto which will make him 37 when he retires.

He also states he will not be fighting "strong" champions because of his age.

What are the chances he lines up Pacman in November to start of the mind games?

My predicted 5 fights:

Canelo Alvarez
Pacquiao
Khan
Bradley
Ortiz

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Mayweather declares - "5 more fights, and im gone!" Empty Re: Mayweather declares - "5 more fights, and im gone!"

Post by manos de piedra Mon 26 Mar 2012, 10:07 am

I tend not take anything Mayweather says at face value.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Mayweather declares - "5 more fights, and im gone!" Empty Re: Mayweather declares - "5 more fights, and im gone!"

Post by Union Cane Mon 26 Mar 2012, 10:11 am

You mean when he retires again.

He can go now for me.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 26 Mar 2012, 10:17 am

Mayweather to fight five times in the space of two years, even with his jail term coming up? Who's he trying to kid?

Very difficult to predict with Floyd, mind you. Personally, once Cotto's out of the way (sorry, Alex!) I just want him to fight Pacquiao, put it to bed once and for all, and then be done with it all. Anything on top of that would be an (unexpected) bonus. Alvarez aside, there's no other fight I'd really be all that fussed about seeing him in, if we keep a realistic view here. Martinez is a no-no for Floyd and you can't really blame him for that.

What I'd like to see from Mayweather between now and his retirement is a win over Cotto, a win over Pacquiao and a win over Alvarez as a bonus, quitting for good as an unbeaten fighter and taking a place as one of the ten greatest fighters to ever walk the earth, a status his talent deserves. But what we'll actually get is anyone's guess.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 26 Mar 2012, 10:27 am

As Chris has said Alma, if he can take out Cotto, Alvarez and Manny am not too sure you would see too many people arguing against his inclusion, however if the Manny issue is not settled once and for all as far as I am concerned he can forget it, and ideally it needs to be after cotto whilst it still has some meaning.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon 26 Mar 2012, 10:27 am

If he does what chris says then yes.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 26 Mar 2012, 10:47 am

alma wrote:Does Floyd warrant a top ten slot I wonder?

The Pacquiao issue is the big thing here. So long as Pacquiao is still considered a major force at the time of the fight happening, then Floyd has a real top ten claim if he were to win. That's why we could do with Pacquiao looking back to his brilliant best against Bradley in June. My fear is that if he turns in another less than stellar display, Floyd won't get the credit he could have had for winning had he took the fight back in 2010. Understandable, really, but it would still be disappointing all the same.

For me, a decent benchmark to go on is Whitaker when it comes to where I could rank Floyd. Mayweather is certainly inside my top twenty, with Whitaker nicking a place just inside my top ten. Like Mayweather, Whitaker was also involved in a dance around and towards a man campainging in and around the same divisons who also, much like Pacquiao is, was his only rival for the pound for pound spot at that particular time - Chavez. Whitaker ultimately took that test and, while the judges conspired to turn it in to a 'draw', in the eyes of any sensible and impartial observer he proved that he was the better fighter at that time.

The equivalent test for Mayweather, in relative terms, is the Pacquiao fight. Outside of that, Mayweather and Whitaker are remarkably similar in both their abilities and who they've beaten. In fact, Mayweather's longevity at the top, despite being interrupted by a 'retirement' or two here and there, is perhaps superior. But without the definitive fight with Pacquiao, I can't quite make Floyd a top ten man.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Mon 26 Mar 2012, 11:05 am

I never really liked him. A bit of a nuthugger of the black and white brigade and to an extent filled with a bit of the brown stuff but it's a sad but not a tragic loss as he was old.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Mon 26 Mar 2012, 11:06 am

Oh I put that on the wrong thread didn't I? clap

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 26 Mar 2012, 11:06 am

I can't see him having 5 more fights, unless like he's said against non-top guys and if that's the case then he might as well retire now.

Judging on the current scene i'd like to see him (after Cotto) fight:

Pac
Alverez
Berto
Ortiz II
Martinez

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon 26 Mar 2012, 11:11 am

I agree with all of the points made so far in relation to Floyd. He sits outside a top 20 for me until he answers his fans. He can't go through his career fighting for money and expect to break into a top 20 - he's alienating his fans by not fighting the fight everyone wants.

He's also not achieved as much as Pacquiao which at this time, in terms of ATG - Pac sits just inside despite being my P4P number 3 at this time behind Floyd who is at #1.

Weird how that works!

If Mayweather beats Cotto with relative ease (he'll have a few scares in round 2 and 7 - Cotto will react in round 2 after his corner tell him he needs to stop trying to bomb through Mayweather and round 7 when he realises he's behind on the scorecards but after that it'll be plain sailing for Floyd) then he'll go some way to moving into a top 20 spot. He needs Pacquiao more than Pacquiao needs him and thats a fact. I want to see

Cotto - Win
Pacquiao - Win
Khan - Win
Alvarez - Win

And then a final hurrah and a passing of the torch

Brook - Lose.

He'll then retire well in a top 10. Those 5 will be great fights, exciting and generate shedloads of money. It'll prove he is, was and always will be one of the very best of all time between LW and JMW.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 26 Mar 2012, 11:17 am

"5 more fights, and im gone!"

Does another fight with his dad on 24/7 count as one?
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 26 Mar 2012, 11:24 am

JabMachineMK2 wrote:I agree with all of the points made so far in relation to Floyd. He sits outside a top 20 for me until he answers his fans. He can't go through his career fighting for money and expect to break into a top 20 - he's alienating his fans by not fighting the fight everyone wants.

He's also not achieved as much as Pacquiao which at this time, in terms of ATG - Pac sits just inside despite being my P4P number 3 at this time behind Floyd who is at #1.

Weird how that works!

If Mayweather beats Cotto with relative ease (he'll have a few scares in round 2 and 7 - Cotto will react in round 2 after his corner tell him he needs to stop trying to bomb through Mayweather and round 7 when he realises he's behind on the scorecards but after that it'll be plain sailing for Floyd) then he'll go some way to moving into a top 20 spot. He needs Pacquiao more than Pacquiao needs him and thats a fact. I want to see

Cotto - Win
Pacquiao - Win
Khan - Win
Alvarez - Win

Brook - Lose.
He'll then retire well in a top 10. Those 5 will be great fights, exciting and generate shedloads of money. It'll prove he is, was and always will be one of the very best of all time between LW and JMW.

Brook will still be learning his trade under Matchroom in 2 years. Probably fighting Mosley etc. Hearn will be giving interviews saying they made Mayweather an offer to come over and fight in Huddersfield Leisure Centre but he declined, in turn creating a crazy army of "Brookidiots" declaring how Mayweather is a ducker and a big flamboyant Flomo.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Mon 26 Mar 2012, 11:28 am

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:
JabMachineMK2 wrote:I agree with all of the points made so far in relation to Floyd. He sits outside a top 20 for me until he answers his fans. He can't go through his career fighting for money and expect to break into a top 20 - he's alienating his fans by not fighting the fight everyone wants.

Weird how that works!

Cotto - Win
Pacquiao - Win
Khan - Win
Alvarez - Win

Brook - Lose.

Brook will still be learning his trade under Matchroom in 2 years. Probably fighting Mosley etc. Hearn will be giving interviews saying they made Mayweather an offer to come over and fight in Huddersfield Leisure Centre but he declined, in turn creating a crazy army of "Brookidiots" declaring how Mayweather is a ducker and a big flamboyant Flomo.

Brilliant Very Happy

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon 26 Mar 2012, 11:36 am

Must admit Reborn, that gave me a good chuckle.

If Brook isn't fighting Mayweather level opponents in 2 years then he'll just be seen as a flop.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 26 Mar 2012, 4:51 pm

Pacquiao needs Mayweather more than the other way round, there's not a lot in it but by being one of the most talented boxers of all time more is expected from Mayweather which means he gets marked down on what he should have done rather than what he has done.

Cotto, Pacquiao and Alvarez he is a certainty for the top ten, were he to add Martinez on top of that then we're talking about a fighter who has as good a claim as anyone of matching Robinson, he's more than capable of winning all four fights but the desire to do it is the only question mark.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by alanqlm Mon 26 Mar 2012, 5:16 pm

In my opinion if Floyd was to beat Manny, Alvarez, Cotto and step up and beat Martinez for his Middleweight titles then he would have to be nailed on for a top 5 place.

Though the chances of him facing Martinez are slim to none in my opinion. Think Martinez probably has a maximum of 18 months left seems to be slowing down lately and may well get taking out by Chavez within 12 months.

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down