The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welford Road development

+2
LondonTiger
Portnoy
6 posters

Go down

Welford Road development Empty Welford Road development

Post by Portnoy Tue 27 Mar 2012, 4:27 pm

Surely there should be some suggestion of news by now?

We are nearing the end of the 2011/2 season. So that means only three seasons before the 2015 RWC which was initiated partly on the claim that WR would host a game or two in a stadium of 30000 capacity.

One season to advertise the plans/develop the finance. One season to build. One season to bed the place in (well you can't leave it to the last minute like India's Commonwealth Games et al.) The timings are all wrong to complete the development in the summer of '15.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Welford Road development Empty Re: Welford Road development

Post by LondonTiger Tue 27 Mar 2012, 4:36 pm

The finance is already raised.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 27 Mar 2012, 4:44 pm

Isn't the Crumbie being done this summer? They were supposed to be waiting on confirmation for an increase in the size of the car park and an agreement on the standing facilities at the front of the stand.

The car park was orginally supposed to be 700 and something spaces big but now they want 1,000 spaces.

The standing section and it's capacity depends heavilly on how much work they do to it as old stands have exemptions from some modern health and safety rules where as if the standing section was re-developed it would have to conform (less people allowed per square metre or whatever).

This was oldish news though, there's been no comment for months.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue 27 Mar 2012, 4:48 pm

LondonTiger wrote:The finance is already raised.

OK. But equally season tickets for next season are on sale. So that does it for then.

All that needs to be done is knock down the Crumbie, build a new stand and car park and redevelop the clubhouse end on Aylestone Road...
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 27 Mar 2012, 4:50 pm

They'll do the Crumbie, changing facilities and medical centre in the summer with the car park and hotel behind. Then after that they'll have a look at the club house end and then probably the Goldsmith's stand as and when. The ground is supposed to all link together so the corners will be filled in to generate more seating.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue 27 Mar 2012, 5:01 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:They'll do the Crumbie, changing facilities and medical centre in the summer with the car park and hotel behind. Then after that they'll have a look at the club house end and then probably the Goldsmith's stand as and when. The ground is supposed to all link together so the corners will be filled in to generate more seating.

Which summer Sam?

This or next?

As I see it that next season's STs are already on sale, the Crumbie is on hold (OK there may be the NCP/medical etc. facilities going on behind).
Build to start this summer?

So that would mean the new Crumbie re-build and the Aylestone Road end in the summer of 13?
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by killer938 Tue 27 Mar 2012, 5:02 pm

Yeh, a while ago we received info about the development of the Crumbie Stand as that is where we sit but I will have to ask my Dad for confirmation of the details as he has them and I am in France.

killer938

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 27 Mar 2012, 5:04 pm

My ticket for next season is in the Goldsmith's so I am not sure on the timings.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Tue 27 Mar 2012, 5:20 pm

tweeted a couple of folks to see if i can find out.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by killer938 Tue 27 Mar 2012, 7:38 pm

Asked my Dad and apparently I made a mistake, he hasn't heard anything official from the club yet

killer938

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Tue 27 Mar 2012, 8:39 pm

Leicester Murcury guy said it doesnt look likely at the moment. I'm guessing that mean's nothing this off season.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue 27 Mar 2012, 8:47 pm

Thanks Nathan.

Tempus really does fugit.

Still as the city's motto says 'Semper eadem'.

How true.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 28 Mar 2012, 8:28 am

I think it is at the end of the 2012/13 season but I'm not sure my memory isn't great and it was a while ago.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 28 Mar 2012, 8:55 am

You've done very well to continue to get decent crowds since your last stadium upgrade. Having a 30,000 seater stadium is very impressive, but is there a chance that for some games you could end up having a half full stadium which could detract from the atmosphere slightly? Or would having a full stadium for an HC game more than make up for that?
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 28 Mar 2012, 9:00 am

The average attendance is 20k at the minute HKC and roughly 10-11k (maybe a touch more) is season ticket holders. The AP and HEC games always get a decent attendance even with the tv coverage. The only games where the stadium might be a tad empty would be the LV Cup and Tigers have previously used Groupon to sell ticket deals for that and I would imagine will do so again.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 28 Mar 2012, 9:27 am

Who knows, maybe there will be an adjustment in pricing policy to put more buttocks on benches?

Whatever, it will be a sad day when the old Crumbie footstomp is heard for the last time. It'd be comparable with Glaws losing the shed.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 28 Mar 2012, 10:11 am

Sam, we've used Groupon before but in large it seemed to cause a lot of resentment. Those that were supporting the club and buying tickets early were being penalised, whereas those that come at a whim were being rewarded by having cheap tickets. As a one off exercise is fine, but it can't be a long term solution without annoying the supporters. Do your LV games get included in the ST package?

Mind you, a 30,000 home stadium is going to be rocking and rolling for a Jeff or HC semi-final and would give you a real edge.

Portnoy, you just need to threaten cannabilism, that seemed to do the trick when there was talk about knocking down the Shed! Wink But on a serious note, it will be a sad day to see it go.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 28 Mar 2012, 10:38 am

Sam, we've used Groupon before but in large it seemed to cause a lot of resentment. Those that were supporting the club and buying tickets early were being penalised, whereas those that come at a whim were being rewarded by having cheap tickets. As a one off exercise is fine, but it can't be a long term solution without annoying the supporters. Do your LV games get included in the ST package?

No the LV Cup is not included in the ST package, also the only seats sold on Groupon were the cheapest seats in the stadium and it was only for the LV Cup. No one seemed to care and most thought it was a good idea. That may be very different if the tried it outside of the LV Cup but I don't see why they would as the attendances are always good and the amount of seats spare is pretty minimal.

Portnoy, you just need to threaten cannabilism, that seemed to do the trick when there was talk about knocking down the Shed! But on a serious note, it will be a sad day to see it go.

It will. Apparently the sound is very loud in the changing rooms (the stands wooden floors are the changing rooms ceilings) and the stamping feet is supposed to really get the players pumped for the game before they run down through the cheering crowd. I think they'll be riots if they change the way the players take to the pitch, they HAVE to run through the crowd to get there, otherwise it's not Welford Rd.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 28 Mar 2012, 10:41 am

ST next year includes all regular season matches - so 11AP, 2LV and 3 HC next year. Plus A team matches etc.

Knockout matches are extra.

I am not sure the clube are overly interested in increasing capacity - more overhauling the Clubhouse end and the Crumbie development which is more about modernisation and income generation from car park etc.

Only fly in the ointment is if we made guarantees re RWC15

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 28 Mar 2012, 11:55 am

The hotel and car park that will be build behind the Crumbie and then leased out will be good money spinners for the club. The car park especially as hospital parking is a nightmare and that is literally across the road from where the car park will be built.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 28 Mar 2012, 12:19 pm

I'm surprised the LV is not included in your ST. We've had it for at least 2 years and I know we were rather late ctaching on to some of the other clubs. As Champions you really should take this more seriously! Wink
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 28 Mar 2012, 12:29 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:I'm surprised the LV is not included in your ST. We've had it for at least 2 years and I know we were rather late ctaching on to some of the other clubs. As Champions you really should take this more seriously! Wink

Very Happy

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

[lol]
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 28 Mar 2012, 12:30 pm

I think the LV was originally in and then came out and is now back in again. I don't know of many ST fans who will be fussed to be honest.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 28 Mar 2012, 12:31 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:I'm surprised the LV is not included in your ST. We've had it for at least 2 years and I know we were rather late ctaching on to some of the other clubs. As Champions you really should take this more seriously! Wink

It is. Or certainly it is next season.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down