The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

George north staying scarlet

+6
Stone Motif
oxring
maestegmafia
HammerofThunor
Smirnoffpriest
mckay1402
10 posters

Go down

George north staying scarlet Empty George north staying scarlet

Post by mckay1402 Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:44 pm

It's good to hear with Cuthbert saying he had spoken to French clubs while waiting for a freak from the bless and Martin Thomas of to glos that some clubs engender an atmosphere of loyalty. i'm posting this from my phone so can't post a link...but North had said he wants to stay at scarlets and isn't interested in France. Good boy George
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

George north staying scarlet Empty Re: George north staying scarlet

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:03 pm

Yahoo

Shock Horror! Another young Welsh int pledges his future to the region he's already at. The exodus is still rolling on though...

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:05 pm

Fortunately not from Llanelli
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:07 pm

If he went anywhere now/in the next few years I'd worry the boy was a bit simple.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:14 pm

Why?
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:18 pm

mckay1402 wrote:Fortunately not from Llanelli

?

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:36 pm

Very Good news. Scarlets are not struggling to hold on to their men... something special is happening down there...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:51 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Very Good news. Scarlets are not struggling to hold on to their men... something special is happening down there...!

There have been rumblings in the West for some season now. I dismissed them as no more than the last stirrings of a dying beast.

An Ospreys side I wasn't particularly happy with putting 50 points past the Scarlets in a derby. The Scarlets moving to a new stadium and being booed by their crowd. Yet - in spite of these lows, there would be the occasional flash of magic - flashes I dismissed as a sign of a steady decline and nothing more.

It seems I may have been mistaken. The Scarlets have created a culture of excellence, it seems - as well as a factory for young talent.

Long may it continue. The light of hope for Welsh regional rugby still shines in the West.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:12 pm

mckay1402 wrote:and Martin Thomas of to glos that some clubs engender an atmosphere of loyalty.

When you've finished patting yourself on the back and thinking how wonderful it is to be a Turk, you might want to read up on Martyn Thomas being released by the Dragons.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:16 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
mckay1402 wrote:and Martin Thomas of to glos that some clubs engender an atmosphere of loyalty.

When you've finished patting yourself on the back and thinking how wonderful it is to be a Turk, you might want to read up on Martyn Thomas being released by the Dragons.

And Martyn's subsequent insistence that he was offered a contract which he declined, thus releasing him to move to Glos.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:35 pm

So happy Georgie is thinking of staying on. I mean he's got 2 years left on his contract anyways but if he's already of thinking of staying on for longer then that's great for us. Scarlets are really trying to build an ethos and environment that players want to stay in, so fingers crossed in 2 years time (I know it's a long while) George will still want to stay. If we kept him until he was about 30 that would be utterly amazing. The fans all love him, he'd turn into a true Scarlets legend, for sure.

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:36 am

mckay1402 wrote:Why?

If that was directed at me than it's because he's only just turned 20. He's playing well for Scarlets and well for Wales. Moving always causes some form of disruption regardless of how well you're playing. Also why move? Generally it would be for 3 reasons that I can think of. For the money (he'll be on at least an alright wage and can make the money later in his career), to win trophies (I'd argue Scarlets are progressing and he can again move later in his career if then don't improve enough) or for international honours (it would be more of a problem if he moved, unless it was within Wales and what's the point of that?). I suppose there's always the reason that he's fallen out with the other team mates but I can't see that happening with him (from the little I've seen).

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:25 am

Good news all round Very Happy
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:38 am

Moving away for cash at this point in his career would have been foolish. North hits a slump in form whilst learning French and he'll be out the Welsh team (you've got enough wingers) and then is trying to fight his way back in on an uneven basis (Welsh based players get selected first). Much better to stay with the club that developed him and that is all but guarenteed HEC rugby.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:30 am

oxring wrote:

And Martyn's subsequent insistence that he was offered a contract which he declined, thus releasing him to move to Glos.

I doubt he turned down a two years deal where he'd prolly start and had a chance to play for Wales for a one year deal and a bit of LV.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:34 am

From the BBC

The 24-year-old turned down a new deal with the Welsh club to sign a one-year contract at Kingsholm, with the option of a further season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17524143

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:38 am

But you can also find a link to a BBC story previously from the Dragons saying they've released him/didn't offer a contract so it depends on who you believe

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:42 am

Do you really think they wouldn't offer him a contract. Who else have they got at fullback? Harries, Jamie Smith...Stefan Jones...Hallam Amos (17yo)?

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:47 am

Their getting D Evans from the Scarlets and have said their getting a bigger names FB in this summer.

To me it seems strange that the Dragons would let him go - but equally strange is that after all the trials they've both been through (the injuries) and Dragons sticking by him, now that he's guarenteed 1st team action he'd turn down a 2 year deal and the chance to fight for international honours for a 1 year deal in England.

But as I say it depends on who you believe as there's strange things with both sides statements (or it could be that the Dragons could only afford to offer him much lower terms for 2 years because of his injury record, but don't want to admit how little money they have)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:51 am

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Their getting D Evans from the Scarlets and have said their getting a bigger names FB in this summer.

To me it seems strange that the Dragons would let him go - but equally strange is that after all the trials they've both been through (the injuries) and Dragons sticking by him, now that he's guarenteed 1st team action he'd turn down a 2 year deal and the chance to fight for international honours for a 1 year deal in England.

But as I say it depends on who you believe as there's strange things with both sides statements (or it could be that the Dragons could only afford to offer him much lower terms for 2 years because of his injury record, but don't want to admit how little money they have)

I think that's what it is, makes the most sense to me.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:39 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
oxring wrote:

I doubt he turned down a two years deal where he'd prolly start and had a chance to play for Wales for a one year deal and a bit of LV.

Stone - he has been ignored by Wales. He has a year deal with an option year at the end, so basically two years. Probably on a heap more money, and looks likely to be a starter due to injuries within the Glaws squad. So IMO it was a pretty good idea to head to Kingsolm and turn down the lower than expected (if the rumours are true) deal the Dragons offered him, before 'releasing' him when he turned it down.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:44 pm

gowales wrote:
Smirnoffpriest wrote:Their getting D Evans from the Scarlets and have said their getting a bigger names FB in this summer.

Except it makes zero sense, as the Dragons will not be paying wages to Aled Brew, Luke Charteris, and Tom Willis (biggest earners in the squad) next season, and could easily afford to keep him if they wanted to. Much as he's been a great player for us, Darren Edwards has it right when he said certain members of the squad have peaked and will not take the Dragons to the next level.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:48 pm

Stone - i think you are on your own on that opinion and the topic has been done to death on here
https://www.606v2.com/t25469-8-players-released-from-dragons-13-leaving-in-total
https://www.606v2.com/t25445-martin-thomas
https://www.606v2.com/t26730-martyn-thomas-joins-gloucester
https://www.606v2.com/t26740-gloucester-sign-newport-full-back-martyn-thomas-for-next-season

As for George North staying I am not too suprised, he isn't even 20 yet, and like he said when this contract runs out he will most likely stay again as he will only be 21, which is too young to go out into the big wide world so to speak.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:54 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
gowales wrote:

Except it makes zero sense, as the Dragons will not be paying wages to Aled Brew, Luke Charteris, and Tom Willis (biggest earners in the squad) next season, and could easily afford to keep him if they wanted to. Much as he's been a great player for us, Darren Edwards has it right when he said certain members of the squad have peaked and will not take the Dragons to the next level.

Yea i'm sure one of Dan Evans (average), Will Harries (winger) or Jamie Smith (don't know a lot about him tbh) at fullback will take you take you to the next level...

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:36 pm

It does seem silly to me as the Dragons would need his counter attacking ability especially without Brew - however if they sign a big/good FB as is rumoured then it might not matter - though I do think M Thomas seemed like a very good option for any of the Welsh regions and was a lot stronger than some positions at the Dragons.

But still who knows what's happened - I just hope that he does well at Gloucester and then comes back to Wales to compete for the Wales jersey

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:38 pm

Don't listen to me listen to Gatland, or George North for that matter. Size, skill and speed. MT has only one of those tings albeit in abundance. Current cover in the squad is irrelevant as signings will be made.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:07 pm

Stone Motif wrote:Don't listen to me listen to Gatland, or George North for that matter. Size, skill and speed. MT has only one of those tings albeit in abundance. Current cover in the squad is irrelevant as signings will be made.

From where and with what funds?

I'm relying on you to know - as you're the one with the inside information here...
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:38 pm

From where I couldn't tell you as I'm not Martyo Hazell but you don't need to be Carol Vorderman to work out that the roster of players leaving will mean we have a few quid to spend. We don't have to cut our wage bill to fall under the salary cap.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:29 pm

Not sure I buy that - as most of the players who are leaving aren't being sold for much cash - and the ones who are leaving were only on development contracts for the most part anyway.

Certainly - there's money to give to their academy boys - BUT that doesn't quite equate to big expensive signings - unless they're going to go down the same line as the O's/Blues and damage their finances for 2 years in advance based on some speculative big names. I'd have thought they'd have learnt from the Montgomery fiasco.

Was wondering if you'd heard any inside rumours, that's all.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:05 pm

I'm not sure what's so difficult to get about this one. What we will get for them is precisely zero but our player budget is around 2.5m. There is no reason for this to reduce next year. Clarteris and Willis alone free up 200k at a very conservative estimate. Even the likes of Tovey are on 50k. To suggest we don't have funds to do a bit of shopping makes about as much sense as that Montgomery comment. Grapevine says SH.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:19 am

Stone Motif wrote:I'm not sure what's so difficult to get about this one. What we will get for them is precisely zero but our player budget is around 2.5m. There is no reason for this to reduce next year. Clarteris and Willis alone free up 200k at a very conservative estimate. Even the likes of Tovey are on 50k. To suggest we don't have funds to do a bit of shopping makes about as much sense as that Montgomery comment. Grapevine says SH.

Montgomery comment means that buying big name expensive players doesn't always work out. As for reduction in the player budget - if the Dragons are able to be competitive and challenge the other 4 regions through the reduction in these developmental players - then fantastic! I believe that "regionalism" will only work with a strong Dragons side.

I can see that you will have a wage excess next year - losing Willis, Brew, Charteris, Tovey - and of course - Brew and Tovey both carried some fees as well.

However - last I heard - the coffers were in a bit of a parlous state - my understanding was that this cost-cutting was to balance the books - not to create an excess that could then be spent. If I'm wrong, I'll be glad to hear it. I don't want the Dragons short of cash and short of players - any more than I want the Blues, O's or Scarlets short of players/cash/both.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:07 am

Montgomery was a fantastic player for Newport who the Dragons inherited at the inception of the regions. The coffers at the Dragons being in a perilous state is a new one on me. Living within your means is not being skint. The only cost cutting is around the fringes where there are largely better players are coming through the academy. Brew and Long Dog are chasing the Euros and Willis castle and Hall are retiring.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:01 pm

Have you got any decent young prospects coming through in the front row? There are some decent young backs on their way through that I've seen - but I've missed a lot of the LV games - hows your front row looking next year?
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down