The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IPL 5

+15
cricketfan12
Mad for Chelsea
stormers1
Biltong
Good Golly I'm Olly
KO-KING
JDizzle
Shelsey93
Gregers
paulscholes
Duty281
Mike Selig
Fists of Fury
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Galted
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

IPL 5 - Page 2 Empty IPL 5

Post by Guest Thu 29 Mar 2012, 11:14 am

First topic message reminder :

April 3, 2012 is the inaugural day of the 5th edition of the Indian Premier League which has given a new definition to domestic cricket tournaments in India. IPL 2012 is back once again with its glam and exciting sports spirit to entertain viewers from all across the world. According to the present Chairman of IPL, Shri Rajiv Shukla, the inaugural ceremony will be held on April 3 2012 at Chepauk Stadium in Chennai. The 1st match of this tournament will be on the following day between the Mumbai Indians and the champions of IPL 4, Chennai Super Kings. There will be 74 matches in this 54 day long tournament. In comparison to the last four IPL seasons, this will be the longest season of IPL. The same Chepauk Stadium will also host the final match which will be held on May 27 2012.

After the active participation of Bollywood celebrities and top Indian industrialists investing mammoth amounts for each of the teams and its players, the owners are positively content with the Indian and international cricketers who are participating in this breathtaking Twenty20 tournament. The IPL board has declared the names of all participating teams and its players. Owing to some serious issues, the governing body of IPL, BCCI, has terminated the Kochi Tuskers Kerala franchise so there will be only 9 teams in this edition of the tournament. These teams, representing different regions of India, have been divided into 2 groups; Group A and Group B. Deccan Chargers, Delhi Daredevils, Kings XI Punjab, Mumbai Indians and Pune Warriors are included in Group A whereas Group B includes Chennai Super Kings, Kolkata Knight Riders, Rajasthan Royals and Royal Challengers Bangalore.

However, there is some striking news for IPL 5. Some of the international tournaments are coinciding with this tournament, and as a result many international cricketers are not participating in IPL 5. On the other side, there are two changes in the captaincy of two teams. Yuvraj Singh’s serious illness has compelled him to stay away from IPL 5 and in place of this former captain of the Pune Warriors, former Indian Captain Sourav Ganguly will lead Pune Warriors. He has also been selected as the coach of the team. In place of the former captain of Rajasthan Royals Shane Warne, this year, the dependable wall of the Indian Cricket Team, Rahul Dravid, will take the responsibility of this team.

Taken from: http://bhaveshbhatia.hubpages.com/hub/Indian-Premier-League-2012-Preview

Will you be watching?
Which matches are you looking forward to seeing?

Back to top Go down

IPL 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: IPL 5

Post by Mike Selig Mon 14 May 2012, 7:07 am

So we are finally nearing the end of the pool stages. I've enjoyed much of the cricket, but surely even the IPL's biggest fans have to admit that this goes on for far too long. It's all heating up now, though, as 7 out of the 9 teams are battling for play-off spots. Realistically I think 18 points will be the cut-off, so DD and KKR are nearly there: both sides have benefitted from consistent selections and planning (in KKR's case, this has meant that good players like Morgan, Shakib and Ten Doeschate have had little or no game time); on the opposite side of the spectrum, both Deccan and Pune have struggled for consistency.

On an individual basis I have been impressed by:

- Rahane: plays straight, orthodox cricket shots but still manages to score at a good rate. I think at international standard he is probably a bit too predictable in T20 (one can cut off his areas fairly easily) but looks a fine prospect for the longer formats. Ironic then, that what has revealed him to the general public is probably his weakest format.

- Cameron White: after a lean few years (anyone remember his fantastic ODI form in 2009? It's all gone downhill since) he's come back into good shape, which is nice, although the pattern for DC seems to be: poor start, White smashes a 50, they get an excellent total and then completely crumble in the field. Nevertheless, one of the few non-top order players to have made a big mark. Some people make 6-hitting look easy, not so White who throws everything at his big hits, but it seems to work for him.

- Sunil Narine: no one has figured out how to play him yet, I think he has an economy of about 5.5 which is astonishing when you see many scores of 170 or above. His form, as well as Gambhir's are the main reasons for KKR's charge. I still think West Indies would have done a lot better with him as a spinner against Australia. The question is now how will he fare when people start picking him?

- Steve Smith: I've always liked the guy (much against public opinion I know) and felt he copped unnecessary flak and at times ridicule from people who should know better. He's bounced back, and indeed played his way back into the Australian plans. Batted really well, according to the situation, and a tough player to bowl at because he can score all around the ground. The best fielder of the tournament by a mile. He says he's working on his leg-breaks, but as guilford rightly points out it is not an easy skill to rediscover. Interesting that he was made captain of Pune when Ganguly didn't play: when someone asked me after the ashes what other options Australia had to be captain (this was at the time where the general stupid consensus was that Clarke was no captain) I said, provoking much mirth, that Steve Smith had a good cricket brain, but obviously wasn't a sure starter so shouldn't be considered yet. I just wonder...

Some negatives also
, the main one being the length. It does seem to have gone on for several years; thankfully things are tight so there is still interest, but imagine if a few sides had run away with it (as has happened previously)? The other 3 main disappointments for me have been:

- The commentary: Harsha Boogle may be a nice enough guy, but he knows little if anything about cricket. When Smith was on the mic (Smith was fielding backward point and giving purely mono-syllable responses which didn't make things easy) Harsha mentioned about "ripping some leg-breaks" - Steve Smith has never been a big turner of the ball! In any case, this is just one of several examples. Boogle is illustrative of the lack of insight from all commentators.

Dermot Reeve is just completely dull - he states the obvious most of the time, and the rest of the time is still stuck in the early 00s and talks about "getting the yorker in" as if it's some kind of magical solution; great moment was when asked where you bowl to Warner (this was when Warner was smashing it to all parts) he stated confidently "leg-stump yorker", the bowler did just that and Warner smashed it wide of long-on for 4. The point is, the game has moved on, and with the modern bottom-heavy bats, the yorker is not the weapon it once was, if bowled too often.

Danny Morrison I find entertaining, but I fear this is due to his bizarre accent more than any skills he actually has as a commentator.

Overall there is no insight, no analysis of what the batsman is trying to do and what the bowler might try and do to counter it. It has simply been regurgitating platitudes, with a lot of sponsor name dropping. Not good.

- The fielding has been between mediocre and dreadful, with DC very much on the dreadful side of things. I don't know when India as a cricketing nation will realise the importance of fielding, but given the performance of some of their youngsters here, it is obviously not yet.

- Finally, I have been somewhat disappointed by the lack of anything new on the cricket field. The IPL has really for me become the benchmark of T20 cricket around the globe, and I look to it to provide inovations both with bat and ball; this year I couldn't point out one thing I've seen where I've gone "oh, that's interesting, I hadn't thought of that".

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 14 May 2012, 4:30 pm

side of the IPL thus far IMO

coming towards end of group stages, this is my side of the tournament thus far

1.Ajinkya Rahane
2.Shikar Dhawan
3.Cameron White (O)
4.Mandeep Singh
5.Kevin Piertsen (O)
6.AB De villiers (O)
7.Nayank Agarwal (wk)
8.Zaheer Khan
9.Shabad Nadeem
10.Ashok Dinda
11.Morne Morkel (O)

tough to pick the side, when you have to bear in mind the 4 overseas players rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 14 May 2012, 4:35 pm

Sehwag surely worthy of a spot, CF, after five consecutive half centuries (first person to do so) amongst other things.

Sunil Narine is also difficult to overlook, though your overseas picks are very solid. I'd perhaps take Cameron White out and replace him with Rohit Sharma, and then put Narine in place of Dinda.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 14 May 2012, 4:41 pm

Rahane and Dhawan in top 5 run scorers of the tournament, Dhawan also hit 5 half centuries and Rahane been in form all tournament

Narine was unlucky but the 4 overseas rule made it tough

white has had a class tourament, and rohit on the whole a poor tournament.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue 15 May 2012, 3:04 am

Narine for me has been the player of the tournament, so he has to be in. Although which overseas player to drop? I also think Shewag should be in there.

I guess Narine for Nadeem and Shewag for AB? Think of those 3 batsmen, AB has been the least strong, White has really been fantastically regular, and Pietersen has been back to his best.

And Gambhir for Dhawan, Gambhir's form has been one of the major reasons for KKR's success. Shewag would then bat 3 I think, Pietersen 4, White 5.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 15 May 2012, 8:47 am

Mike can't agree with you about AB being the weakest. e averages 50, comes in at the latter stages of the innings with a strike rate of 170. Shocked
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue 15 May 2012, 3:58 pm

Well, you know I don't look too much at stats, so maybe you can tell me how White and Pietersen compare. In any case, I said the least strong (of the 3 potential overseas batsmen) rather than the weakest, which is an important difference in emphasis.

Thing is, White has been Mr consistent, he's score 50s almost at will, which for someone who doesn't bat in the top order is remarcable. And I pick Pietersen purely on the amazing 100 he played, and his ability to win a match on his own, which IMO exceeds Ab's (just - AB's fantastic however many it was where he rewerse swept that 6 in the last over not withstanding). Having gone for White for consistency, the rest of the batting order can be more hit and miss.

Once I have decided I must have Narine (player of the tournament) and Morkel (overseas bowlers have on the whole outshone their indian counterparts, and Morkel has been the best of the overseas seamers), there was only 2 overseas spots for batsmen.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 May 2012, 10:16 am

http://www1.skysports.com/cricket/news/15815/7758539/BCCI-acts-on-IPL-fixing-claim

Deccan's TP suhindra named as one of the 5/6 people who have been banned by IPL council over alleged spot fixing

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Wed 16 May 2012, 10:19 am

CF how can you not have Sehwag in your team? He has been player of the competition by a huge distance. Rohit has been quality for us as well (as has Levi who you omit as well).

Worst team by a long way has been Deccan

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 May 2012, 10:21 am

Levi has been dire apart from the 50..

Dhawan and White are in the leading top 10 run scorers and have hit the same amount of 50's as sehwag..

Rahane has been Mr.Consistent.. to be honest gregers i couldnt find room for him all the batsman in my side have been quality and consistent...

rohit has had one good knock.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Wed 16 May 2012, 10:22 am

Levi has been great with the gloves and the bat, Rohit has regularly chipped in and isn't acting like a premaddonna anymore.

As for Sehwag he has been a class above Dhawan

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 May 2012, 10:23 am

levi hasnt kept!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kartik has kept...

have you even watched the IPL? THIS YEAR...

Levi hasnt kept at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Wed 16 May 2012, 10:24 am

Um yes he has, have you watched all of Mumbais matches or have you just been watching Deccan embarrass themselves!

Seriously why have Deccan been so bad this year?

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Wed 16 May 2012, 10:28 am

Also no Gayle in your best XI?

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 May 2012, 10:28 am

DINESH KARTHIK

is the mumbai indians wicket keeper!

deccan have been bad because apart from steyn they lack a genine wicket taking threat, we have the batting but cant defend a score, because of the rubbishness of our bowling attack.

GREGERS NO GAYLE BECAUSE OF THE 4 OVERSEAS RULE!

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Wed 16 May 2012, 10:33 am

Woah calm down, overseas wise ABDV/Morkel/Gayle/KP pick themselves. White has been consistent but not hit the heights of them. Karthik left the field in one match and was rested, Levi kept.

Gayle
Sehwag (c)
Rahane (Harsh putting him at 3 but Gayle/Sehwag are too good)
KP
Rohit
ABDV

As a top 6 for team of the tournament

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 May 2012, 10:36 am

White and Sehwag and Dhawan have all hit 5 50's each..

White and Dhawan hit them for a struggling side as well,

Sehwag would have got the nod, but Rahane has been so consistnet all the way through, KP was a shoe in after that knock

it will change at the end of the tournament

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Wed 16 May 2012, 10:37 am

Sehwag did it in 5 consecutive innings

Anyways I better get going before you use too much bold!

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 May 2012, 10:40 am

:facepalm

you have your opinon i have mine, lets just leave it at that.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 16 May 2012, 11:11 am

CF wrote::facepalm

you have your opinon i have mine, lets just leave it at that.
No Stephen Fleming?

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 16 May 2012, 11:12 am

CF wrote:Levi has been dire apart from the 50..

Dhawan and White are in the leading top 10 run scorers and have hit the same amount of 50's as sehwag..

Rahane has been Mr.Consistent.. to be honest gregers i couldnt find room for him all the batsman in my side have been quality and consistent...

rohit has had one good knock.....
Probably an indication of how much you have watched.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 16 May 2012, 11:13 am

No Gambhir either? He has been brilliant for us.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 16 May 2012, 11:15 am

Gregers wrote:Woah calm down, overseas wise ABDV/Morkel/Gayle/KP pick themselves. White has been consistent but not hit the heights of them. Karthik left the field in one match and was rested, Levi kept.

Gayle
Sehwag (c)
Rahane (Harsh putting him at 3 but Gayle/Sehwag are too good)
KP
Rohit
ABDV

As a top 6 for team of the tournament
I agree except maybe Gauti for Rahane?

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 16 May 2012, 11:17 am

CF wrote:DINESH KARTHIK

is the mumbai indians wicket keeper!

deccan have been bad because apart from steyn they lack a genine wicket taking threat, we have the batting but cant defend a score, because of the rubbishness of our bowling attack.

GREGERS NO GAYLE BECAUSE OF THE 4 OVERSEAS RULE!
No,you have 2 in form batsmen. Thats all!

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Wed 16 May 2012, 11:24 am

Rahane over Gambhir but only just

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 16 May 2012, 11:39 am

Wouldnt mind either. Just think Gauti has done well on difficult pitches.

Anyway, how can I ignore the legendary player of the legendary IPL team Shikhar Dhawan?

Dhawan> Sehwag

Why? Because he plays for the great Deccan.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 16 May 2012, 12:06 pm

I don't get how you chaps can support an IPL team that has no history, no emotional attachment to you or anything like that.

Of course we all have our favourites, but I prefer to concentrate on the players, not the team names. For example when I saw that Sehwag, Pietersen and Jayawardene would all be batting together in the same line-up I naturally turned my attention toward Delhi Daredevils. It may well be different next year.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 16 May 2012, 1:33 pm

Agree with you Andrew.
I dont support a team at all. Referred to KKR as ''us'' just because I had them in the FL haha but seriously I dont care about the results. I support players. KP,Sachin, De Villiers,Sehwag, Warner, Watson.Steyn and a few others. And above all, I want to see close finishes.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 16 May 2012, 1:36 pm

You may add Morne Morkel and Narine as well to the above list.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 May 2012, 2:09 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:I don't get how you chaps can support an IPL team that has no history, no emotional attachment to you or anything like that.

Of course we all have our favourites, but I prefer to concentrate on the players, not the team names. For example when I saw that Sehwag, Pietersen and Jayawardene would all be batting together in the same line-up I naturally turned my attention toward Delhi Daredevils. It may well be different next year.

ive backed deccan from the very first tournament i have no idea why i just do....

deccan have won the IPL once i think in ipl 2 or 3...

all the teams i support under achieve Sad west ham, essex, deccan, england.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 16 May 2012, 2:17 pm

England under acheive? Last time I checked we were the no.1 test side in the world.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 May 2012, 2:18 pm

i mainly meant west ham, essex and deccan

when i said england that also meant in football.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Thu 17 May 2012, 6:15 am

Fists of Fury wrote:I don't get how you chaps can support an IPL team that has no history, no emotional attachment to you or anything like that.

Of course we all have our favourites, but I prefer to concentrate on the players, not the team names.

I agree entirely: someone once asked me which IPL side I supported, I didn't know quite what to say. I like watching some of the cricket, and when Warnie was playing I'd try to switch on to see him bowl. This year it's been Pietersen, Smith, Narine who've really caught my eye.

Gregers: I went for White also; my reasoning was that even in T20 you need some balance between the blasters and those who will be more consistent but perhaps less destructive (such as White - although he can be fairly destructive also - and Rahane). If you pick Gayle, Shewag, Pietersen, etc there is a chance you could score 300 (well, almost!) but also there is a chance they all go fairly cheaply.

Also, you omit Narine! No one can omit Narine, he's been head and shoulders above every other bowler.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 17 May 2012, 7:41 am

I merely watch the IPL to see how the South African players do.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 May 2012, 6:46 pm

deccan dont finish bottom Yahoo

Back to top Go down

Post by paulscholes Sun 20 May 2012, 6:53 pm

1st time RR have lost after leaving 160+

that leaves MI with some thinking do they keep the same side or bring in munaf patel

paulscholes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 May 2012, 7:02 pm

whats happened to Abu Nechim?

promising young indian quick, and somehow RP Singh is playing ahead of him Headscratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 22 May 2012, 9:48 am

Following Pune's exit Rahul Sharma and Wayne Parnell have been arrested at a rave party in Mumbai. And the NZ media's headline is broadly:Jessie Ryder wasn't there. Sheesh.

Police arrested around 100 people at the party to be drug tested after they found an assortment of illegal substances.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by paulscholes Fri 25 May 2012, 6:15 pm

DD payed the price for NOT picking Morne Morkel and irfan pathan

paulscholes

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Sun 27 May 2012, 9:48 pm

KKR win by 5 wickets, two balls remaining. first time IPL winners

CSK made 190 - Shakib took an excellent catch to break the opening partnership between vijay and Hussey, but in came Raina who played great, Kallis bowled well removing hussey, narine got taken apart by Raina and conceded 37 from his 4 with no wickets, innings closed off by a excellent over by shakib for 8 runs (2 runs from misfield) and a wicket (great catch by brett lee)

Gahmbir got out bowled by hilfenhouse, bisla made 89 in quick time to dominate csk bowlers, kallis played great support with his 60 odd, shukla and pathan did poor, Shakib played excellent scoop shot to bring the required runs down at a crucial point, Tiwary hit bravo for 2 4's to seal the victory - excellent finish by tiwary 9*(3) and shakib 11*(7).

Bisla deservingly man of the match

Other top performers - Raina, Kallis, Hussey, Vijay, Shakib

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 28 May 2012, 11:01 am

Has it finished then Wink

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Mon 28 May 2012, 11:33 am

Great tournament, and stunning final

Can't wait for IPL6 now!

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 28 May 2012, 11:35 am

It was the first season when I watched not a single match. Everyone seemed to change teams, so just could not be arsed.

I understand that Live attendances were down as were Indian TV numbers. On the other side the Franchises continued to rack up huge losses.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 28 May 2012, 12:01 pm

Good, maybe they will see that it goes on for far too long, and should be condensed to two or three weeks.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 28 May 2012, 12:48 pm

At last Kallis in a final where he doesn't choke. notworthy
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 28 May 2012, 3:28 pm

biltongbek wrote:At last Kallis in a final where he doesn't choke. notworthy

Ah, but he did get himself out before the job was finished Wink

As opposed to McCullum who managed to avoid getting selected. Us Kiwis don't know much about cricket finals you see, we always lose the semi-final. Sad
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 28 May 2012, 3:33 pm

Kiwireddevil wrote:
biltongbek wrote:At last Kallis in a final where he doesn't choke. notworthy

Ah, but he did get himself out before the job was finished Wink

As opposed to McCullum who managed to avoid getting selected. Us Kiwis don't know much about cricket finals you see, we always lose the semi-final. Sad

We know NOTHING about finals, not even semi's, well unless you start using a little blue tablet.IPL 5 - Page 2 Idunno10
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 May 2012, 3:38 pm

DECCAN DIDNT FINISH BOTTOM

Yahoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down