The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nadal's Slippery Slope

+29
sirfredperry
Born Slippy
naxroy
barrystar
Haddie-nuff
banbrotam
It Must Be Love
User 774433
socal1976
lags72
time please
bogbrush
raiders_of_the_lost_ark
Eskay
invisiblecoolers
Henman Bill
gallery play
JuliusHMarx
lydian
kemet
10IS
hawkeye
Positively 4th Street
Jeremy_Kyle
HM Murdock
noleisthebest
reckoner
laverfan
Tenez
33 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Nadal's Slippery Slope - Page 3 Empty Nadal's Slippery Slope

Post by Tenez Thu 05 Apr 2012, 10:30 am

First topic message reminder :

Recently a thread was created based on Fed's chance to regain a #2 ranking with maybe a view to getting to number 1. It has been argued that Fed woudl not care much as his goal was winning slams 1st and foremost.

However I am pretty sure Nadal cares a lot about that number 2 spot, more than Fed in fact. He knows that surrendering that number 2 ranking would expose him sooner to Djoko which in turn coudl seriously affect his ranking points. Thanks to points accumulated on clay Nadal has avoided for years (2005-2011) to meet Federer in semis, giving for instance the chance many times to avoid guys like Nalbandian and Davydenko early in slams and tournaments when those guys were at number 3 or 4 and a threat. If he starts to lose in semis versus Djoko, he might find it very hard to hold on to his number 3 ranking and then other players might start to smell blood as Nadal can have tough matches in early rounds. From there might come the possibility of Nadal even meeting Djoko, Murray, Davydenko in earlier rounds even (1/4F) everytime affecting his ranking and possibly his motivation. Remember, he is making hard work of every win and that motivation, tenacity so essential to his game might finally wane. It will of course give him tough physical matches earlier in the tournaments reducing his chance to do well in the final stages.

Of course this clay season is going to be key for him to remain at number 2 but imo it's just a question of months before he starts sliding seriously, especially if he cannot accumulate enough points on clay which has been the surface that saved him all those years of much lower ranking. I remember once that taking his clay points away was taking him to number 8 or below in the ranking. I am pretty sure he will share the clay points this spring and that could simply be the beginning of the end for Nadal. He is aware of that more than anybody and withdrawing from MIami was a smart move. Fighting hard versus Murray and Djoko while not being sure to win was never going to be a good idea when considering what is at stake in the next few weeks. Rafa fans hold on tight to your seatbelts, it could be a tough ride from now.

You read it here first! Wink

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Nadal's Slippery Slope - Page 3 Empty Re: Nadal's Slippery Slope

Post by Henman Bill Fri 04 Feb 2022, 11:39 pm

Nadal for year end no 1 in 2022?

--2000 points on the board already
--clay season still to come
--Novak may miss some events if he doesn´t get vaccinated

2022 could be a year without a single dominant player, so Rafa may be able to do it. He perhaps would need to win the French though

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Sun 06 Feb 2022, 10:58 am

I dont think he can be number 1 as I believe he will play very few tournaments

but of course, if he wins another slam he will have a chance.

Knowing Novak, he will go with all his anger for RG and Wimbledon

I think Nadal is always to be considered a serious favourite for RG but I have the feeling that after last years semifinal, Novak has his number also on clay.

Lets see how all this vaccine crisis evolves, because it can play a decisive role in the total slam count

On the other hand I dont see Roger lifting another slam (but I wish he did)

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 06 Feb 2022, 11:38 am

naxroy wrote:

I think Nadal is always to be considered a serious favourite for RG but I have the feeling that after last years semifinal, Novak has his number also on clay.

Not sure this is true. Nadal’s foot was held together with tape and yet it took Djokovic over 4hrs to beat Nadal.
And Nadal won the final in Roma just a couple of weeks before.

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Sun 06 Feb 2022, 11:44 am

Jeff Navarro wrote:
naxroy wrote:

Not sure this is true. Nadal’s foot was held together with tape and yet it took Djokovic over 4hrs to beat Nadal.

believe me, I wish I am wrong

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sun 06 Feb 2022, 12:02 pm

Jeff Navarro wrote:
naxroy wrote:

Enough with the excuses, Djokovic was simply the better player on the day. There's always an excuse when Nadal or Djokovic lose.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 06 Feb 2022, 12:13 pm

‘Excuses’ Doh
Missing the next 6 months seemed a very convenient ‘excuse’

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sun 06 Feb 2022, 12:16 pm

It's an excuse, Djokovic was better on the day that's it.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 06 Feb 2022, 1:03 pm

I thought we established a long time ago that Nadal has never lost a match when fully fit Wink

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Sun 06 Feb 2022, 1:16 pm

Case for Rafael Nadal never being beaten while "fully fit":

FO 2009 4R: gets beaten by Soderling playing lights out tennis.  Seems fair and square but Nadal complains and then takes Wimbledon 2009 off while possibly having experimental knee treatment.

Wim 2012 2R: gets beaten by Lukáš Rosol playing lights out tennis.  Seems fair and square but Nadal complains and then takes USO 2012 and AO 2013 off while possibly having experimental knee treatment.  Is never the same again at Wimbledon - it would be 2018 before he gets past the fourth round again.

ps: watching those two matches it didn't seem that Nadal was hampered by anything it just seemed that his opponents were playing "lights out" tennis.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon 07 Feb 2022, 8:12 am

There is another theory behind the 'enforced' absences from the tour.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Tue 08 Feb 2022, 11:03 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:There is another theory behind the 'enforced' absences from the tour.

With Nadal's playing style, it is almost inevitable that he'll face chronic injuries- so those absences make logical sense.

On the other hand, the conspiracy theories that ATP banned Nadal etc. have no evidence to back it up.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Tue 08 Feb 2022, 11:06 pm

Jeff Navarro wrote:
Nadal’s foot was held together with tape and yet it took Djokovic over 4hrs to beat Nadal.

Stop with excuses. Nadal's movement in sets 1-3 was 100% fine; yet Djokovic won 2 of them.

It wasn't a good match from Nadal because his BH let him down; meanwhile Djokovic played great. Deserved the win.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Tue 08 Feb 2022, 11:13 pm

Nadal haters, not just Tenez in 2012, have been disproven throughout his career!

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Tue 08 Feb 2022, 11:34 pm

yeah I didnt notice any problem with nadal in that semifinal

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by Derek Smalls Mon 03 Apr 2023, 3:43 pm

I wonder if Nadal has another French Open in him. It wouldn’t surprise me if he did have, but the suspicion remains that his whole body seems to be held together by tape, not just his foot..
Derek Smalls
Derek Smalls

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 04 Apr 2023, 12:41 pm

Derek Smalls wrote:I wonder if Nadal has another French Open in him. It wouldn’t surprise me if he did have, but the suspicion remains that his whole body seems to be held together by tape, not just his foot..

The last 12 months has certainly not seen Rafa on the courts and fit for much of the time, so perhaps his body is now not able to cope. Even if so, it's been a remarkable career - most teenage prodigies are done before they hit 30, whereas Rafa has gone on past the retirement age of the majority of top players.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Derek Smalls Tue 04 Apr 2023, 7:56 pm

His Monte Carlo withdrawal is not a good portent. This years French looks doubtful so I guess that’s it for his slams.
Derek Smalls
Derek Smalls

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 14 Apr 2023, 6:21 pm

Rafa has pulled out of Barcelona. A French Open without him seems almost inconceivable. Let's hope he's OK to take part in some of the clay-court season so he can at least put in an appearance at RG.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3