The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Munster Leinster game this evening

+7
BlueMuff
Thomond
red_stag
Mickado
Rory_Gallagher
Jenifer McLadyboy
pete (buachaill on eirne)
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Munster Leinster game this evening - Page 2 Empty Munster Leinster game this evening

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 06 Apr 2012, 11:42 am

First topic message reminder :

Anyone strolling down to the RDS for the B&I semi final. Kick off is 6 I think and it's the only spot in Dublin that will be serving pints today.

See guys like O'Dea, JJ O'Hallorahan, Conway, Ruddock and Dominic Ryan are playing so standard should be good enough I reckon

Back to top Go down

Munster Leinster game this evening - Page 2 Empty Re: Munster Leinster game this evening

Post by ME-109 Sat 07 Apr 2012, 12:05 am

Well he played for dolphin..i suppose he hadn't turned into a turncoat like Cronin, Ross, redden etc

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Munster Leinster game this evening - Page 2 Empty Re: Munster Leinster game this evening

Post by Sin é Sat 07 Apr 2012, 12:10 am

O'Mahoney is not contracted to Leinster. He is contracted to Clontarf (though he is an amateur anyway) so could play for either if he was asked. Seems to have had a great game tonight.

Stag, was he in the Munster Academy?

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sat 07 Apr 2012, 12:13 am

Im not sure SinE. He was an exceptional schools player - played Munster schools and Ireland schools.

His brother Ronan is in the academy maybe thats who you're thinking of - a decent enough player but unlikely to really "make it". Will also most likely end up a good AIL player.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sat 07 Apr 2012, 12:15 am

He is not in the academy. Had to move to Dublin for work

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sat 07 Apr 2012, 12:16 am

Is a fine player, was in the dolphin backrow along with Coughlan when they were doing well

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sat 07 Apr 2012, 12:17 am

That would be a good backrow.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sat 07 Apr 2012, 12:17 am

Is he the next James Coughlan? He is pretty young still. If he can make it at this level (that was a decent team that Leinster A put out), he should be able to make it at Magners level anyway.

I wonder how Borlase got on?
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 07 Apr 2012, 12:17 am

So is this a "natural" 7 coming up through the ranks? This new O'Mahony..

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sat 07 Apr 2012, 12:19 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:So is this a "natural" 7 coming up through the ranks? This new O'Mahony..

Munster have signed Sean Dougall (ex-Ulster academy) next season. He apparently is a 'natural 7'.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sat 07 Apr 2012, 12:21 am

Rory, he is actually a bit of a natural 7.

However he is 25 years old and plays for Clontarf in Dublin. I still dont understand how/why he was playing for Munster though I am glad as he is a quality player who I think was more than capable of playing international rugby.

He played in the same team as Rob Kearney, Fergus McFadden, Darren Cave, Devin Toner and Keith Earls. I know he had a particularly good U19 RWC in 2005. Got man of the match against Scotland that year.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 07 Apr 2012, 12:21 am

Yeah I have seen you mention him a few times. I am interested to see how O'Donnell gets on against us on Sunday as well. Munster seem to have hidden a few "natural" 7s from the rest of the world eh?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sat 07 Apr 2012, 12:22 am

Sin é wrote:Is he the next James Coughlan? He is pretty young still. If he can make it at this level (that was a decent team that Leinster A put out), he should be able to make it at Magners level anyway.

I wonder how Borlase got on?
Sounds like it. Seen him described as one of the best non contracted players around.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sat 07 Apr 2012, 12:24 am

EDIT: I didnt mean to type international rugby. I meant professional rugby.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 07 Apr 2012, 12:32 am

Shall we be seeing his name pop up more often then? Or was this a one off?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sat 07 Apr 2012, 12:36 am

Really couldnt tell you. I mean even if we take out David Wallace and James Coughlan (our backrows who are over 30) we still have:

Peter O'Mahony
Tommy O'Donnell
Denis Leamy
David O'Callaghan
Niall Ronan
Paddy Butler
Billy Holland

And in reality Coughlan is only 31 so has another year or two left in him. By that stage we might be looking at someone like Shane Buckley or Cathal O'Flaherty to step up to the plate instead.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sat 07 Apr 2012, 12:39 am

Don't forget young O'Hara....another with a good future

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 07 Apr 2012, 12:40 am

Is POM even going to get any game time at 7 next season? TOD seems to be pretty highly rated to be given a HEC start at 7, when POM was picked as the reserve 7 for Ireland. Then there is Ronan who was playing very well before getting injured, and now Wallace is back. Quite a lot of competition there.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sat 07 Apr 2012, 12:41 am

Thats true DOD.

I have to say, is the Ian Nagle fad over yet? I never rated the guy all that highly.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sat 07 Apr 2012, 12:44 am

Nagle is interesting..when he is good he is brilliant, but can be anonymous a lot of the time..seems a bit to easy going for his own good

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sat 07 Apr 2012, 12:45 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Is POM even going to get any game time at 7 next season? TOD seems to be pretty highly rated to be given a HEC start at 7, when POM was picked as the reserve 7 for Ireland. Then there is Ronan who was playing very well before getting injured, and now Wallace is back. Quite a lot of competition there.

No you play where you can get game time. He'll mainly play 6 next year. This year the slot was at 7 and he has the natural skill set to play at 7. He will make a good 6 as well though.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 07 Apr 2012, 12:49 am

I still don't think his natural game suits 7, but sure.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Sat 07 Apr 2012, 1:04 pm

DOD wrote:Don't forget young O'Hara....another with a good future

It depends on whether he can put on enough weight and compete at this level,
he also seems to have a habit of getting injured at the wrong time. He was on
the same u20 panel as ruddock, butler and d ryan and probably would have
started at 7 if he didn't get injured before the six nations. He is an actual
proper 'natural' 7.

On Nagle, he's still young and has a lot of potential. Too early to write him off
but of course the hype was probably a bit over the top.

I enjoyed the game yesterday, looks to be a lot of potential coming through for
both teams and maybe the future isn't as bleak as some think.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sat 07 Apr 2012, 2:28 pm

Was at the game and from a Leinster perspective there were some good showings. We had more linebreaks and possession but more missed kicks and less territory and Munster were really good in defence in terms of their scramble.

Leinster lads who impressed me:

Auav'a: In a different league physically to all others on the pitch
Macken: Looked very dangerous particularily when given any space on the outside
McGrath: Was pretty snappy not as much of a threat around the fringes as I've seen before and his kicks in the 1st half weren't far enough his passing was excellent though

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat 07 Apr 2012, 5:13 pm

Munster will be facing Cross Keys in the final. At which venue though?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2