The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

+23
eirebilly
beshocked
George Carlin
Majestic83
Notch
funnyExiledScot
Irish Londoner
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
RuggerRadge2611
offload
Equo Troiano
red_stag
ScarletSpiderman
RDW
Jenifer McLadyboy
Cryptoyourisan
Coleman
Feckless Rogue
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
IanBru
LondonTiger
3rdGrandslamCame
27 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season - Page 2 Empty 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by 123456789 Mon 09 Apr 2012, 11:31 am

First topic message reminder :

If Edinburgh win the whole tournament Scotland will be obliged to entre a third team into next year's tournament, we only have two pro teams therefore we have a number of options:
Give up the place to another country or pro12 team
Entre the winner of premier 1, possibly the fairest option but will they be able to afford it
Create a team based on the best from the amateur teams and the academies
Entre the u20s except those playing for pro sides already
Recreate a pro team for the tournament to see how it would work in Aberdeen or the Borders with a view to make it a full time side

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season - Page 2 Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by aitchw Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:42 am

The great thing about cup competitions generally is that a side that's been struggling in a league can find new focus and self belief and raise their performance to levels not supported by form. Edinburgh are in that position and good luck to them. It should and will give long suffering fans a real lift. Bloody well done I say.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season - Page 2 Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by Equo Troiano Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:47 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
Equo Troiano wrote:

Look, don't get all upset with me, just because Scottish rugby couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

Equo - if it is your opinion that Edinburgh don't stand a chance then fair enough. However your tone and attitude is not acceptable on the forum as you are clearly just trying to wind people up. You are more than welcome to give your opinion, as long as you don't seek to antagonise people in the process.

Moderator based in Scotland in defence of Scottish poster shocker...

I'm not trying to antagonise. It is my opinion and i've put my side of the argument as reasonably as i'm able. There are plenty of people on this forum posting stronger opinions less tactfully who recieve no chastisement.

However, if I have caused offence, then I withdraw my comments. The results on the pitch will do the talking.

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:48 am

Again for the record, Edinburgh has gotton to the semi finals on merit, coming out of a very strong group. There has not been luck or lottery in them or any other side getting to this position in a competition like this. The least fancied of the four remaining, certainly but that 'on the day' factor can play an important part and i would not write them off and honestly feel that they have just as big a chance as the other teams.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:51 am

Equo - the reported posts are discussed by the MOD team before action is taken. Me being Scottish has nothing to do with it. If you have any issues with our moderating then please drop a PM and leave the thread for the rugby discussion.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:52 am

LondonTiger wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
Equo Troiano wrote:

Look, don't get all upset with me, just because Scottish rugby couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

Equo - if it is your opinion that Edinburgh don't stand a chance then fair enough. However your tone and attitude is not acceptable on the forum as you are clearly just trying to wind people up. You are more than welcome to give your opinion, as long as you don't seek to antagonise people in the process.

RDW, while Equo is guilty as charged, surely he was also provoked by commentsd such as

On the other hand, if your piles are playing up, your girlfriend's just left you and you've just had your brogues pooed on by an enthusiastic young labradoodle, then by all means fill your boots.

LT, in fairness to GC, Equo has pretty much been baiting and being offensive from the start of the thread - plus George was merely speculating! Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:54 am

Equo, your behaviour is the issue here, not the fact that the thread is about Scotland.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:56 am

What a stunningly red thread this has become Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:57 am

Yeah, I myself would like to do it all in GREEN
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:58 am

Now biltong, you know that green is not firm enough Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:58 am

I support cerise, but as it is not there how about indigo

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Equo Troiano Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:59 am

Meh, the results will do the talking. As i've said.

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 11 Apr 2012, 10:11 am

eirebilly wrote:Again for the record, Edinburgh has gotton to the semi finals on merit, coming out of a very strong group. There has not been luck or lottery in them or any other side getting to this position in a competition like this. The least fancied of the four remaining, certainly but that 'on the day' factor can play an important part and i would not write them off and honestly feel that they have just as big a chance as the other teams.

I wouldn't call it a very strong group but if that's how you feel fair enough. They did what they had to do though.

Though saying that Edinburgh have got to the semi finals on merit. They topped the pool and beat Toulouse. A pretty good effort I would say.

All 4 sides deserve to be there but you have to admit that some sides had easier routes.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 11 Apr 2012, 10:16 am

Does it really matter who was in the group though?

You have to qualify from the group irrespectvie of who your opponents are. If luck has it that the group is deemed weaker then so be it, you still have to qualify.

Teams such as Leinster is expected to get to the final as they have been the most successful side in europe for a while now, who expected Edinburgh to get there, probably not many. So it is a great achievement for them, and if the spin off is positivity amongst specatators and cottish fans it can only be good for the game of rugby.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 11 Apr 2012, 10:19 am

biltongbek wrote:Does it really matter who was in the group though?

You have to qualify from the group irrespectvie of who your opponents are. If luck has it that the group is deemed weaker then so be it, you still have to qualify.

Teams such as Leinster is expected to get to the final as they have been the most successful side in europe for a while now, who expected Edinburgh to get there, probably not many. So it is a great achievement for them, and if the spin off is positivity amongst specatators and Scottish fans it can only be good for the game of rugby.
Lord knows we need it!! Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Wed 11 Apr 2012, 10:32 am

I think the main point of this topic, is not what the SRFU you will do if Edinburgh progress further (and well done to them) but what are they going to do full stop.

They are bleating on that two teams are unsustainable - should they not do something a bit more pro-active than that?

Listen, I know that the main centers of population are dominated by football - but so is much of northern England and if we can sustain half a dozen professional clubs (the bulk of them in the Championship I admit, but they are still professional) in a football AND Rugby League dominated area I can't see why the SRFU cannot cough up enough at the minute for a third, and if they get their act together possibly a fourth.

TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 11 Apr 2012, 10:36 am

Is there not already a plan in place for such eventualities, ie the next highest ranking team gets the spot?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Wed 11 Apr 2012, 11:01 am

Edinburgh have hardly had an easy run, playing Toulouse isn't easy on the other hand you could argue that Leinster have - their group wasn't too difficult and Cardiff are awful at the moment yet no one is doubting Leinster's quality.
Edinburgh had 11 international players in their team on Saturday, including 2 international captains, and the top scorer in the RaboDirect for several seasons as well as two promising players who will probably be capped within the year. This is a side with quality they have more experience of the highest level than Ulster and many will be raging about how the six nations went. So although they aren't favourites I believe they can give most teams a rum for their money.

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 11 Apr 2012, 11:03 am

Nice optimistic post there! Problem is, Ulster have 2 world cup winners in their team!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 11 Apr 2012, 11:06 am

eirebilly wrote:Is there not already a plan in place for such eventualities, ie the next highest ranking team gets the spot?
Yes, billy has it right

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 11 Apr 2012, 11:08 am

If they did then the fairest option is to award it to the next best place team in the Rabo who hasn't qualified for the HC, even if most of them get into it automatically anyway.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 11 Apr 2012, 11:18 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Nice optimistic post there! Problem is, Ulster have 2 world cup winners in their team!

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season - Page 2 Ohyea10
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 11 Apr 2012, 12:16 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
Equo Troiano wrote:

RDW, while Equo is guilty as charged, surely he was also provoked by commentsd such as

On the other hand, if your piles are playing up, your girlfriend's just left you and you've just had your brogues pooed on by an enthusiastic young labradoodle, then by all means fill your boots.

LT, in fairness to GC, Equo has pretty much been baiting and being offensive from the start of the thread - plus George was merely speculating! Wink
OK
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 11 Apr 2012, 12:18 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Nice optimistic post there! Problem is, Ulster have 2 world cup winners in their team!
Ah yes, but Edinburgh have Phil 'one drop goal in my whole career' Godman. Who's laughing now? Erm
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 11 Apr 2012, 12:20 pm

Not forgetting Jack "would lose a scrum against a goldfish" Gilding ready to beast it from the bench.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2