The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sam Torrance

+9
navyblueshorts
Desperado
super_realist
sharrison01
Doc
McLaren
LondonJonnyO
Davie
The Dazzler
13 posters

Go down

Sam Torrance Empty Sam Torrance

Post by The Dazzler Thu 31 Mar 2011, 3:34 pm

BBC have dropped Sam Torrance from there masters commentary team due to financial cutbacks, yet again the BBC letting their golfing viewers down, Torrance,Grady,Allis and Brown by far the best commentators anywhere, ST has told the BBC that he shall not commentate for them at this years Open as a result, mind you ST could be back sooner rather than later, i here that SKY are already in discussions with him,lets hope so. Whistle
The Dazzler
The Dazzler

Back to top Go down

Sam Torrance Empty Re: Sam Torrance

Post by Davie Thu 31 Mar 2011, 3:36 pm

Oh please no - much as I detest Ewan Murray, ST has probably done more for spreading misinformation about the rules of golf than anyone else I've ever heard on TV. How he ever lasted so long on tour with such a lousy knowledge of the rules I'll never know

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dazzler Thu 31 Mar 2011, 3:41 pm

Ryder Cup Winning captain,lousy knowledge of the rules,prolific European Tour Winner, Gary Lineker..............., c'mon ST is a breath of fresh air who at least has played top level golf unlike that bum GL.
The Dazzler
The Dazzler

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 31 Mar 2011, 3:43 pm

Torrance is a bloody awful commentator. But a nice guy and he was easy to chat to... that does come across when he's on the air even if he does get things a bit wrong.

And another plus point is he's not Peter Alliss.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 31 Mar 2011, 3:44 pm

Not a fan of jug ears Lineker either but at least he's only an anchorman. Steve Ryder, David Livingstone or Hazel whats-her-face never played top level golf either

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dazzler Thu 31 Mar 2011, 3:47 pm

LJ,
the BBC should get with the time and have an alternative fanzone commentators, i am sure the public would love the unbiased views from real golf fans and also think of the free trips to all these great venues. Thats it, sent the BBC an e.mail offering our services. Hug
The Dazzler
The Dazzler

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 31 Mar 2011, 3:50 pm

I did once ask Peter Schivener if I could visit the commentary booth when I was at the BMW last year. He said it wouldn't be fair to lock Alliss in a small room with me. laughing
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 31 Mar 2011, 3:54 pm

Dont really like the guy, sounds hideously under cultured. Although he did once sign a ball for me.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu 31 Mar 2011, 3:58 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:I did once ask Peter Schivener if I could visit the commentary booth when I was at the BMW last year. He said it wouldn't be fair to lock Alliss in a small room with me. laughing

Always like Sam, but on-air he's a bit of brown tongue and I can appreciate Big Pete is not everyones cup of tea, but I have always thought him to be the best of the lot, as he's in the Brian Johnstone of golf for me. he won't be around for too much longer, but like jonno he'll be missed thumbsup

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Thu 31 Mar 2011, 4:37 pm

Can't really see a reason to dislike Torrance or Alliss? For me, the BBC produces the most enjoyable sporting events across the board. I find that Sky is great for people that are borderline obsessive about their sport but for the average sports fan that likes to just dip their toe in a few times a year you cannot beat the BBC.

As an example, a few years ago I got really into watching Wimbledon and enjoyed the BBC's coverage so much that I thought I'd try watching a tennis event on Sky. Aside from all the adverts, whenever there was a break in play they would have conversations about what type of strings a certain player is using or how they have changed a minute element of their technique due to a new coach - generally things that I could rally not care less about.

The same applies to golf - I just want to watch the play and if Alliss wants to chip in and give me a fact about some creature that the cameraman has spotted or a quirky anecdote then that can only be a good thing to spic up which is, lets face it, a very boring and long television spectacle for the occasional fan. If I wanted the complexities and intricacies of the game then I'd tune in to Sky on any one of the other 100+ tournaments that they show around adverts or I'd learn to read.

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 31 Mar 2011, 6:35 pm

I for one am delighted that Torrance has been dropped. His shiversomely sycophantic trouser climaxing at anything Woods does is as nauseating as it is unnecessary, not to mention the inexcusable number of rudimentary errors he makes during his commentary. He doesn't even have Allis's excuse of being in his dotage.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Desperado Fri 01 Apr 2011, 10:08 am

Have to agree with this. Not sure if anyone else remembers a shot Woods played with a draw out of the rough round some trees onto a green fairly early on in last year's event, and it was a pretty good shot, but the way Torrance was talking, you would have thought he had invented a cure for cancer, solved the green energy conundrum, and created everlasting world peace in one fell swoop.

And he gave my mate a nasty mouthfull of (uncalled for) abuse at a tournament in the 80's when he thought he had rustled a crisp packet or something on the tee - he hadn't

Fingers tightly crossed that he doesn't turn up in the Sky commentary box any time soon Shocked

Desperado

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Fri 01 Apr 2011, 10:28 am

I can't really see a problem with Torrance making a big deal out of Tiger on the BBC!?! Golf on the BBC consists of around 12 days a year for The Open, Masters and BMW (can't remember if there are any more?) and in those 12 days it's aim should be to encourage as many people as possible to start showing an interest in the game and just as important not put people off the game. The easiest way to do this is to lighten the mood of the coverage with some Alliss anecdotes and show as much coverage of the most popular and famous players.

I'm afraid that the average sports fan would be very put off the game if the golf talk had more intensity and did not skew it's coverage and talk towards the most famous players.

Also, for all the moaning about how much commentators and organisers sing Tiger's praises, we should not forget that he has completely revolutionised the game as far as increasing it's popularity and as golfers we are all benefitting from that.

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 01 Apr 2011, 10:30 am

I'm afraid Alliss's anecdotes are more likely to turn off any casual listener these days. He's years past his best now

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri 01 Apr 2011, 10:39 am

re-arrange the following into a well known phrase.

Factory Alliss Send Glue To The
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 01 Apr 2011, 2:02 pm

The Dazzler wrote:BBC have dropped Sam Torrance from there masters commentary team due to financial cutbacks, yet again the BBC letting their golfing viewers down, Torrance,Grady,Allis and Brown by far the best commentators anywhere, ST has told the BBC that he shall not commentate for them at this years Open as a result, mind you ST could be back sooner rather than later, i here that SKY are already in discussions with him,lets hope so. Whistle

Sam Torrance is gone?? Yahoo

Made my day. Sorry, can't stand the man's comments or style for all he was a good golfer in his time. No, he didn't sink the winning RC putt either.

Even better if he isn't going to do any work on The Open.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 01 Apr 2011, 2:04 pm

super_realist wrote:I for one am delighted that Torrance has been dropped. His shiversomely sycophantic trouser climaxing at anything Woods does is as nauseating as it is unnecessary, not to mention the inexcusable number of rudimentary errors he makes during his commentary. He doesn't even have Allis's excuse of being in his dotage.

thumbsup
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sun 03 Apr 2011, 9:50 pm

Is sam torrance the result of genetic experimentation twixt man and potatohead?

I shall leave it to your judgement.

LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by neutral07 Mon 04 Apr 2011, 1:08 pm

It will definately feel weird if am watching their golf coverage not to hear his voice even if he isnt that insightful.

neutral07

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Mon 04 Apr 2011, 11:36 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:Is sam torrance the result of genetic experimentation twixt man and potatohead?

I shall leave it to your judgement.

Yes, and Peter Alliss is Buzz Lightyear - 'to infinity and beyond'

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Tue 05 Apr 2011, 1:01 am

Who will they replace him with then, or will they just work the others harder? I'm not even sure who else is on the BBC rota now, they show so little golf... Alliss presumably, he's still good, if past his best. Grady? Not bad. James, does he still get a go? He's terrible.

They should give a bigger role to Andrew Cotter, best youngish golf commentator I've heard.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dazzler Tue 05 Apr 2011, 12:30 pm

golf fanzone would be the answer,
The Dazzler
The Dazzler

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 05 Apr 2011, 8:41 pm

So BBC lose Torrance (win) but Sky pick up Monty (lose)

Still looks like a bulldog licking urine off a thistle even when he's not on the golf course

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by davesrighthere Wed 06 Apr 2011, 1:49 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
super_realist wrote:I for one am delighted that Torrance has been dropped. His shiversomely sycophantic trouser climaxing at anything Woods does is as nauseating as it is unnecessary, not to mention the inexcusable number of rudimentary errors he makes during his commentary. He doesn't even have Allis's excuse of being in his dotage.

thumbsup
thumbsup

davesrighthere

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum