The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which Northern Hem Players Would Make An Impact In Super Rugby?

+29
bsando
Comfort
formerly known as Sam
Rava
rodders
EnglishReign
George Carlin
yappysnap
eirebilly
Mickado
Geordie
Rory_Gallagher
Pot Hale
justified sinner
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Morgannwg
RDW
Cari
Bathite
bedfordwelsh
GavinDragon
aucklandlaurie
Thomond
Gibson
PenfroPete
hugo124
doctor_grey
Biltong
MBTGOG
33 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Which Northern Hem Players Would Make An Impact In Super Rugby? Empty Which Northern Hem Players Would Make An Impact In Super Rugby?

Post by MBTGOG Wed 11 Apr 2012, 8:25 pm

Title says it all really. There are already a few playing down there in the guise of Delve, Cipriani, Haskell and Michalak. But without wanting to sound rude, they haven't exactly set the competition alight, well not for the right reasons anyway.

So do you think would make a big impact? Here are two of my own choices and I'll leave the rest to you-

Stephen Ferris- Probably one of the most powerful and dynamic backrowers in the game. Would be interesting to see how Super sides utilised his speed and dynamism in the sometimes more open pastures of Southern Hemisphere rugby.

Mamukha Gorgodze- Would just love to see the Georgian be just like he is up here, a real wrecking ball on the pitch.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Which Northern Hem Players Would Make An Impact In Super Rugby? Empty Re: Which Northern Hem Players Would Make An Impact In Super Rugby?

Post by Biltong Wed 11 Apr 2012, 8:27 pm

Ruan Pienaar, Johan Muller, Pedrie Wannenberg and Stefan Terbanche for the Lions.Which Northern Hem Players Would Make An Impact In Super Rugby? Innoce10
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Which Northern Hem Players Would Make An Impact In Super Rugby? Empty Re: Which Northern Hem Players Would Make An Impact In Super Rugby?

Post by doctor_grey Wed 11 Apr 2012, 8:32 pm

Francois Michelak, Gareth Delve, and..................Cippy!

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by hugo124 Wed 11 Apr 2012, 8:32 pm

hard to say, style is so different. After completely failing with leinster, sykes set up a beaut of a try with the sharks about a week ago, looked a different player

hugo124

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Wed 11 Apr 2012, 8:33 pm

I think Delve has made some impact Munsty -FANS AWARD
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 11 Apr 2012, 8:35 pm

I think it has a lot to do with adaptability to different conditions.

A guy like Ruan Pienaar for example surprised me that he adapted so well. He comes from the cold hard dry fileds of the free state, it is one of the flattest pieces of land you can find. Doesn't get much rainfall and he most likely saw mud for the first time he landed in europe.

So I guess it depends on whether you can adapt to conditions, cultures etc.

I know Victor Matfield came back early from France, so not all great players can adapt, and there are probably a couple who you might not deem the best that would.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 11 Apr 2012, 8:38 pm

Rob Kearney, Sam Warburton, Cian Healy, Ben Foden, Toby Faletau, Jamie Heaslip, Gethin Jenkins. There's loads more. But off the top of my head (oooerr), those are a few who I believe would love it and be loved down there. And those who I believe would thrive in S15 Rugby. Do em good.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 11 Apr 2012, 8:38 pm

biltongbek wrote:Ruan Pienaar, Johan Muller, Pedrie Wannenberg and Stefan Terbanche for the Lions.Which Northern Hem Players Would Make An Impact In Super Rugby? Innoce10

You may as well say the Ulster team, sure it's basically a Springboks exile 15.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by hugo124 Wed 11 Apr 2012, 8:39 pm

ian madigan would have a lovely aul time

hugo124

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 11 Apr 2012, 8:40 pm

John Afoa,Dougie Howlett,Isa Ncacewa, and about a dozen others would make a good impact if they can get back to Eden park by 7.30 pm tomorrow night.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 11 Apr 2012, 8:44 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote: John Afoa,Dougie Howlett,Isa Ncacewa, and about a dozen others would make a good impact if they can get back to Eden park by 7.30 pm tomorrow night.
Which Northern Hem Players Would Make An Impact In Super Rugby? Roflbl10

I am sorry Laurie, I know it hurts, but that was funny.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Wed 11 Apr 2012, 8:47 pm

i think gethin jenkis definately the pace of the games would suit him down to theground

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:15 pm

I think somone like Faletau would fit in easily.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:23 pm

Anyone quick who likes ball carrying and has average defence, hates mauling and scrummaging

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:25 pm

hugo124 wrote:ian madigan would have a lovely aul time

He would. Would really help him flourish quicker too. He's got the lot and more that fella.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:26 pm

Gavin Henson.... Whistle

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:30 pm

Cari wrote:Gavin Henson.... Whistle

No, NO, NO!Which Northern Hem Players Would Make An Impact In Super Rugby? Banghe10
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:35 pm

15 new clubs to feic up at. He could be there for a whole year.

Thats a plus.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:37 pm

Can't look much further than Richie Gray IMO - massively athletic, powerful, ball handling lock. Perfect for an Aussie or Kiwi team!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:38 pm

Delve, Michalak and Haskell all seem to coping very well from what I've seen.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:38 pm

RDW, now you are downright discriminating, why not us? Shocked
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:38 pm

Great call on Gray. He'd love it. They'd love it. Big time.

Tim Visser to a Saffer team? Has Dutch already.

Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:44 pm

I think James Hook would fit right into a NZ franchise.

Others from Wales who would show up well in the S15 are North, Cuthbert, Davies, Roberts; forwards Warburton, Faletau, (Ian) Evans...
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:46 pm

Bathite wrote:Anyone quick who likes ball carrying and has average defence, hates mauling and scrummaging

Don't you mean anyone fast who can catch, pass and secure ruck ball before the defence has time to set Wink

Actually this year defences have caught up in the eternal arms race that is Super Rugby. Odds are next year the offence will step up again.

Last edited by Kiwireddevil on Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:47 pm

Gethin Jenkins would have to be another.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 11 Apr 2012, 10:03 pm

biltongbek wrote:RDW, now you are downright discriminating, why not us? Shocked

Just think he'd be more suited to the more fast paced style of the Aussie or kiwi teams, as opposed to the more grunt and muscle of the south African teams!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Wed 11 Apr 2012, 10:16 pm

Biltong do you fancy Dave Denton? He's Zim after all and a great tackler and carrier.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Wed 11 Apr 2012, 10:44 pm

Ben Foden, Jonny Sexton, Nevin Spence, Ian Madigan, Sean O'Brien, Thierry Dusautoir, Denton, AdamJones, Danny Barnes, Trinh-Duc, Alex Cuthbert
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 11 Apr 2012, 10:45 pm

I think O'Brien especially would be class playing down in the SH.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 11 Apr 2012, 10:51 pm

justified sinner wrote:Biltong do you fancy Dave Denton? He's Zim after all and a great tackler and carrier.

Yeah, he reminds me of Keegan Daniel of the Sharks, great ball carrier.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 11 Apr 2012, 10:57 pm

Johnny May defo...and James Simpson Daniel (even at this late stage) , Shane Williams....etc you know players with skill....and pace...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 12 Apr 2012, 7:22 am

Sexton would thrive in the SH game.
Nathan Hines is another.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 12 Apr 2012, 7:31 am

For the Irish, i think Madigan, Ferris, SOB and Kearney would be perfect for the Super Rugby.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 12 Apr 2012, 7:36 am

Don't shoot me but I think Chris Ashton would be phenominal in SupR, his style of play is perfect for teams like the Crusaders.

Joe Marler was born to play S15, he'd fit in perfectly with his pace and running game.

Actually I'd be intersted to see how any of the big name NH props got on down there so Cole, Healy, Jenkins etc

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 12 Apr 2012, 8:07 am

Some of you might think Im completely mad saying this,but the player from the Northern hemisphere who when I watch play would go well especially here in New Zealand,and Pot Hale and Mikado have picked him and that is Jonathan Sexton,this player has a lot more to offer rugby than he has shown so far,put him inside a busy mid field,that can move the opposition defensive line and he would be away.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 12 Apr 2012, 8:29 am

Some good choices - would be a scoosh for Hines (he's played both codes in Aussie growing up anyway), they love their loosies in Super 15 so Denton, Warbuton, Rennie, Morgan and Lydiate would be valued and any fullback who can return a kick with interest would be valued (Kearney, Foden and Ha'penny).

Only very explosive backs would make any press at all - only the likes of Bowe, Visser, Sharples and so forth would feature. There are dozens of Tualagi-esque bruisers out there already.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 12 Apr 2012, 8:35 am

aucklandlaurie wrote: Some of you might think Im completely mad saying this,but the player from the Northern hemisphere who when I watch play would go well especially here in New Zealand,and Pot Hale and Mikado have picked him and that is Jonathan Sexton,this player has a lot more to offer rugby than he has shown so far,put him inside a busy mid field,that can move the opposition defensive line and he would be away.

I'd say the Hurricanes would be a good franchise for him.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 12 Apr 2012, 8:41 am

Oops, yeah i forgot Sexton. He would do really well in the Super Rugby. I would actually like to see more players from the NH join the super rugby for a season or so. The experience and understanding of that rugby may help to close the gap between the NH and SH countries.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Thu 12 Apr 2012, 8:46 am

Attacking fly-halves like Sexton and Burns, I think would really make an impact in super rugby.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 12 Apr 2012, 8:56 am

There are many Heineken cup players who could cut it in Super xv, but the difference I see in Sexton is that he is one that if he had a go at Super xv would grow and develop in the different environment.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 12 Apr 2012, 9:05 am

biltongbek wrote:Ruan Pienaar, Johan Muller, Pedrie Wannenberg and Stefan Terbanche for the Lions.Which Northern Hem Players Would Make An Impact In Super Rugby? Innoce10

steam
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 12 Apr 2012, 9:07 am

roddersm wrote:

steam
Which Northern Hem Players Would Make An Impact In Super Rugby? Roflbl10

Worried there, mate?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 12 Apr 2012, 9:10 am

Stop raiding our Ulsterman Biltong ya Bollix! boxing Feic off and develop yer own players! Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 12 Apr 2012, 9:15 am

roddersm wrote:Stop raiding our Ulsterman Biltong ya Bollix! boxing Feic off and develop yer own players! Whistle

We're trying Rodders, we are really trying, but we just don't have the necessary talent or depth or player resources you guys have.Which Northern Hem Players Would Make An Impact In Super Rugby? Idunno10
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 12 Apr 2012, 9:16 am

I really think Ian Humphreys would be a hit in the SH.

But only if we can have Carter in exchange Very Happy . We'll throw in Simon Danielli as well.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 12 Apr 2012, 9:29 am

Tom Croft would be loved in Aus, as would Ben Youngs and Foden. Manu Tuilagi would probably go well in NZ and Owen Farrell would find a home in SA very quickly (he plays a bit like Mourne as is). I think Dan Cole would probably fit in well in SA as they like their scrummaging props who can do a bit in the loose.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 12 Apr 2012, 10:41 am

Out of interest to our Aussie, Kiwi and South African friends, how is the likes of the Heineken cup viewed in your countries? Do they see it is a worthy tournament or does it not get much interest? What players are well known in your countries based on the likes of the Heineken cup?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Thu 12 Apr 2012, 10:42 am

George North
Louis Picamoles
Wesley Fofana
Ben Foden
Dan Cole
Gethin Jenkins
Sergio Parisse
Richie Grey
Dave Denton
Nicholas Mas
Ian Evans
Jonathan Sexton
Paul O'Connell
Cian Healey
Sam Warburton
Toby Faletau
Jonathan Davies (JD2)

I think most of the better players from the top 8/10 HC teams would make an impact in the super 15, and vice versa.

Those are the ones who I think would make a noticeable impact on any nearly team they joined.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 12 Apr 2012, 10:47 am

RDW

The first problem in SA is that we do not see all the games, so a lot of context in relation to the tournament is lost.

The second problem is the make up of the NH season, it is all over the place, I myself prefer to follow one tournament to it's conclusion and then move on to the next.

So due to this it is difficult to get "into" it. That's why I enjoyed the Six nations more, it started and finished in a relatviely short period of time.

As far as the quality goes, it is definitely slower at the breakdown, and although it is good to watch (I watched three of the four semi finals on the weekend) it doesn't have the flair of the Super XV.

That doesn't mean it is inferior to the Super XV, it is more physical brawn and tactical play for territory vs momentum and rythm to find holes in defence.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 12 Apr 2012, 11:35 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Can't look much further than Richie Gray IMO - massively athletic, powerful, ball handling lock. Perfect for an Aussie or Kiwi team!

same here! I would have loved to have seen him playing in the super 15, but I guess that would prevent him from playing for Scotland. Can't wait to see how he fairs at Sale.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next