The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulster vs Edinburgh - how do they match up?

+10
MrsP
rodders
RDW
Standulstermen
UlstermaninGlasgow
TJ1
funnyExiledScot
Thomond
Notch
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
14 posters

Go down

Ulster vs Edinburgh - how do they match up? Empty Ulster vs Edinburgh - how do they match up?

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 12 Apr 2012, 5:50 pm

I've taken the teams from the quarter finals (and made an adjustment for Afoa's absence, replacing him with Macklin, assuming Fitzgerald will not be deemed battle-hardened/match-fit in time). I've also switched a couple of numbers so we can see which wings are up against their true oppos, and how the props would line up come scrum time. This season's two Rabo league meetings see honours firmly in the Ulster camp, altho there's no question that Bradley has sacrificed league position for a decent run in the Heino.

15. Terblanche vs Brown - Bags of top-level experience at club and international level versus a newbie this season. On paper, Ulster should win this particular contest hands down, but to be fair to Brown, he showed composure well above his experience level and years against Toulouse - Terblanche

14. Trimble vs Visser - Two big fliers, fairly evenly matched in the size, speed and skills department. Visser a key player for Edinburgh with his team-mates looking to get him in to the game at every opportunity, while Trimble is no stranger to the try line either - Visser (just)

13. Cave vs de Luca - Cave immensely unlucky to miss out on the 6Ns to fill the BOD role for Ireland, de Luca belied his club performances with two utterly brainless yellow cards during the international window. Cave is thought by many to be O'Driscoll's long-term replacement, but de Luca is a key component to Edinburgh's game - Cave (just)

12. Wallace vs Scott - The battle of the head bandages, Ireland's nearly man against Scotland's coming man. Huge experience and a steadying influence from Wallace, youthful grit, tenacity and creation from Scott, a former 10 turned inside centre - Wallace (just)

11. Gilroy vs Jones - Again two quite similar players, nippy fliers, not afraid of putting in their share of tackles. Jones has come on hugely from his time with the 7s squad, and Gilroy is highly thought of at Ulster - Evens, sitting on the fence for this one

10. iHumphreys vs Laidlaw - The mercurial talent of the iHump versus the converted scrumhalf (albeit did play a fair chunk at 10 for Jedforest before moving to Edinburgh). The latter has been a revelation for his club since shifting out one to combine with Mike Blair and pulling on the captaincy armband, the former can be a maestro when he chooses, but sometimes doesn't quite get his orchestra playing in tune - Laidlaw

9. Pienaar vs Blair - Two very experienced players, both enjoying renewed leases of life towards the back-end of their careers. Pienaar is an immensely dominant scrum-half, able to dictate the pace of the game and to rally his pack. Blair will work in harness with Laidlaw to vary the point of attack, able to switch between distribution and darting runs at will - Pienaar (just)

1. Court vs Cross - Court has developed into a useful loosehead, solid on his side of the scrum and contributing heavily in the loose. Cross remains an enigma for me, but I think he'll lock Edinburgh's scrum in this game, and provide some needed ball-carrying too - Cross (just)

2. Best vs Ford - 2 of the prime contenders for the Lions 2 jersey will go head2head in what is sure to be an intriguing battle. Best had the better of the affair in their 6Ns encounter, and Ford will be keen to right that. Both very effective in the loose, both occasionally vulnerable with their darts - Even (too difficult to judge imo)

3. Macklin vs Jacobsen - Ulster's youngster is sure to be given a welcome to this level of game by the wily old campaigner that is Chunk Jacobsen. For a man of his dimensions, he puts in a fair shift at club level, while Macklin will be keen to put forward his credentials as potential cover for Mike Ross as Ireland's TH on the summer tour to NZ - Jacobsen

4. Muller vs Gilchrist - Vast experience, who but for Matfield would surely have many more Springbok caps, up against the young pretender who enjoyed his 3 months of tuition from Sam Whitelock at the beginning of last summer in NZ. Muller looks to me the heart of Ulster, and Gilchrist will have his work cut out containing him, altho he performed extremely well against Toulouse - Muller

5. Tuohy vs Cox - The Exeter-taught Tuohy (had to get that in! Wink Chief) has been a revelation this campaign for Ulster, pushed hard for a spot in the boiler room by another former Exe player (oh great, an excuse for another Chief) in the form of Stevenson competing against a player that remains a journeyman in the eyes of many, arriving from Sale in the summer, but another who stood tall against the mighty Toulouse pach - Tuohy

6. Ferris vs Denton - This for me is the match-up of this game, Ferris easily in the top 3 blindsides in the world against Denton who so impressed at 8 for Scotland during the 6Ns. Both share a never-say-die attitude, but Ferris's experience will shade it for me - Ferris

7. Henry vs Rennie - Henry seems to have really made the openside berth his own this season, with Falloon's form falling off, competing against one of the NH's top 7s, a man who has been incredibly unlucky with injury and of whom much more would have been heard without that. Rennie will disrupt, tackle, steal and link all afternoon - Rennie

8. Wannenburg vs Talei - South African juggernaut meets Fijian warhorse. Wannenburg has been a key component of Ulster's improvements in the last couple of seasons and will be (sorely) missed when he departs in the summer. Talei is vital to Edinburgh's Heino game, keeping the forward momentum going from which they get quick ball to their backs - Talei

All thoughts welcome, particularly if you disagree!! Any further mentions of former Chief players will be given double credits Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Ulster vs Edinburgh - how do they match up? Empty Re: Ulster vs Edinburgh - how do they match up?

Post by Notch Thu 12 Apr 2012, 5:52 pm

I don't know who is going to play tighthead for Ulster. There are three options and it could be any one of them. Apart from that... don't underestimate our backrow. It's been the scourge of many great teams already in this competition Wink
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Ulster vs Edinburgh - how do they match up? Empty Re: Ulster vs Edinburgh - how do they match up?

Post by Thomond Thu 12 Apr 2012, 5:59 pm

Pienaar is far better than Blair. Ross and Ford is even enough but Best shades it at the moment, could change between now and then it's that tight.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 12 Apr 2012, 6:04 pm

Agree with Thomond on Pienaar. I know Blair is going well at the moment, but Pienaar really is class.

I'd have Wallace and Scott evens personally, but no doubt that's a slightly one-eyed perspective, Wallace certainly has more experience.

I think it's going to be cracking game. Both sides like to run the ball.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Thu 12 Apr 2012, 6:05 pm

Yup - should be a good game and fairly even.

I think Edinburgh will be able to get enough ball and will be able to run the Ulster pack ragged. Wouldn't like to put a bet on it tho

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Thu 12 Apr 2012, 6:29 pm

Trimble vs Visser - I think Trimbs might just come out on top due to MacVisser's problems under the high ball... He was only spared due to the complete inability of Manatavou and Donguy to catch anything! Expect Pienaar, iHumph, Wallace and Stefan to all ping him with high kicks.

Court vs Cross - Don't get me wrong I was in Murrayfield on Saturday to see a great performance from Cross et al but I just think that Court could give him more of a headache than Poux... He gave Botha an awful time on Sunday and fairly bested Cross when he faced him in Ireland colours.

And as Notch said don't underestimate our back row! Gave Clermont, Leicester and Munster a hard time this year already!
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 12 Apr 2012, 6:35 pm

Hard to call. Ulster will lose their dominance in the scrum with Afoa gone but I think they will get parity. I feel we have an advantage in the 2nd row, breakdown, centres and back three despite the presence of visser.

It's hard to reconcile with the two thumpings we have given Edinburgh but then they have been a different animal in the HEC. That said we actually have a fullback playing 15. Ulster by 10 IMO but then I thought munster would beat us.... Doh

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 12 Apr 2012, 6:39 pm

Thoughts on respective benches and different combinations anyone?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Thu 12 Apr 2012, 6:47 pm

Well for the sake of it let's say Deccie Fitz starts at TH, that gives Ulster a bench of McAllister, Macklin, Brady, Stevenson, Faloon, P Marshall, Spence, D'Arcy (Same as Munster Game)

If we take the Edinburgh bench from the Toulouse game (which I'm assuming is pretty much first choice) we have Kelly, Traynor, Gilding, Grant, McInally, Leck, Godman, Thompson.

Ulster's looks stronger in the FR and SH at least but Grant and Rambo are a handful coming off the bench for sure!
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 12 Apr 2012, 8:01 pm

Really am very worried I've spent a lot of money to see Edinburgh get a spanking here. Ulster are just so intense at the breakdown, have a 10 with a massive boot and some really strike runners in their team.

Being realistic of the Toulouse performance, although we were excellent in some areas (defence, kicking) we were crap in numerous other - lineout, attacks in the opposition 22, discipline, so I am really worried that we are not that far away from being a rubbish team again!

As has been said though, we always raise it for the HK and, as long as we keep most of our players on the pitch for 80 mins, we stand a chance!

As for the bench, the only players for Edinburgh that would come on and not seriously reduce our chances of winning are McInally and Grant, with JT and Leck being just about acceptable.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 12 Apr 2012, 10:14 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Really am very worried I've spent a lot of money to see Edinburgh get a spanking here.

Ah don't say that mate.... there's other things to do in Dublin to get your moneys worth........ Very Happy
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu 12 Apr 2012, 10:42 pm

Obviously I am biased but I can only see one position where I would swap the current Ulster starter for his Edinburgh equivilent on paper.

Not that there aren't many fine players who I would happily have, just that I wouldn't swap.

But, as we all know, the game aint played on paper.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 12 Apr 2012, 10:53 pm

roddersm wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Really am very worried I've spent a lot of money to see Edinburgh get a spanking here.

Ah don't say that mate.... there's other things to do in Dublin to get your moneys worth........ Very Happy

Don't those things cost more money though...... Shocked

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 13 Apr 2012, 7:54 am

I'm surprised no one played on the use of the word spanking!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Fri 13 Apr 2012, 8:10 am

Really am very worried I've spent a lot of money to see Edinburgh get a spanking here. Ulster are just so intense at the breakdown, have a 10 with a massive boot and some really strike runners in their team.

so do Edinburgh. 20+ times they took the ball of Toulouse.

Edinburgh have the dangerous strike runners as well.

Edinburgh also are playing as a team and playing in a style that other teams find hard to cope with - the speed and variety of the attacks and the tactical nous to play the right game for the opposition being played.

No doubt it will be hard for Edinburgh but there is no great mismatch and given how well the Edinburgh back row acquitted themselves against Picamoles and Dusatoir there is no one to fear in the ulster side

I wouldn't like to bet either way - I see a relatively high scoring game and a fairly even one.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Fri 13 Apr 2012, 9:45 am

I understand that we're talking about player match-ups, but the thing no-one has mentioned here is home advantage.

I see that Edinburgh actually returned some of their ticket allocation to the ERC because they decided they'd be unable to sell them. I'd say there'll be some number of Leinster and Munster supporters attending, throwing their lot in with Ulster... whether it will quite be a sell-out I don't know, but players like Cave, Gilroy, Tuohy, Henry will never have played in front of that sheer amount of supporters, and I would expect it to give an extra edge to their game.

It should be electric.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 13 Apr 2012, 9:49 am

Don Alfonso wrote:

I see that Edinburgh actually returned some of their ticket allocation to the ERC because they decided they'd be unable to sell them.

2 factors for that - we don't have that large a support base, and flights were quadrupled as soon as it was announced we were going to Dublin. I literally cannot afford to go, but am going anyway!

I think you're right about home advantage though - 40 000 Irish rugby fans against 2000 Edinburgh fans.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 13 Apr 2012, 1:36 pm

The flights are a total joke. My wife looked into it - £400 for us both to fly, before food, drink, accommodation and tickets to the game.

See you in the pub Radge!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 13 Apr 2012, 1:40 pm

Did you try Easyjet to Belfast intl? Or the Ferry from Stranraer to Larne/Belfast?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 13 Apr 2012, 1:43 pm

Easyjet to Belfast was defo the cheapest, even with 25 quid for the train to Dublin.

I'm staying in a youth hostel though, double on suite mind! 25 quid each a night.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 13 Apr 2012, 1:45 pm

Check out the translink website I think they are putting on extra buses to the game from Belfast.

StandUlsterman is running a bus too from his pub.

Might be a better option than the train?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 13 Apr 2012, 1:47 pm

Bus was only a fiver cheaper when I looked.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 13 Apr 2012, 1:49 pm

OK fair enough, there should be loads of options though.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 13 Apr 2012, 2:29 pm

The last two times Ulster have played Edinburgh they've gone completely hell for leather for all out attacking rugby and blown them off the park playing them at their own game. But that was in the Pro 12- this is a different thing altogether. Still, if the games are anything like the two we've played so far this season neutrals are in for a treat.

They've finished;

Edinburgh 20-42 Ulster
Ulster 38-16 Edinburgh

Some of the tries we scored in our full teams warm up for Leicester were mouth-watering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn2ajeWuYy8&feature=relmfu
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 13 Apr 2012, 2:50 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Bus was only a fiver cheaper when I looked.
15 return for my bus down with a fry and drinks aswell.

Mcbrides in comber have a great deal too but that might be out of the way.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 13 Apr 2012, 2:53 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:The flights are a total joke. My wife looked into it - £400 for us both to fly, before food, drink, accommodation and tickets to the game.

See you in the pub Radge!

Its an absolute joke mate. Gutted I can't go. At least IF we get to twickers I can crash at my uncles!

Teuchters it is FES!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 13 Apr 2012, 2:58 pm

Guys - check out the Edinburgh Website, they've got some special deals! Bus from Murrayfield, Ferry then bus down to Dublin for 99 quid each! Staying in Belfast after the game mind...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Fri 13 Apr 2012, 3:06 pm

Notch wrote:The last two times Ulster have played Edinburgh they've gone completely hell for leather for all out attacking rugby and blown them off the park playing them at their own game. But that was in the Pro 12- this is a different thing altogether. Still, if the games are anything like the two we've played so far this season neutrals are in for a treat.

They've finished;

Edinburgh 20-42 Ulster
Ulster 38-16 Edinburgh

Some of the tries we scored in our full teams warm up for Leicester were mouth-watering.

Was that a full-strength Emrba team in Murrayfield?

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 13 Apr 2012, 3:16 pm

Oooooh!

There's lovely!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 13 Apr 2012, 3:25 pm

Don Alfonso wrote:
Notch wrote:The last two times Ulster have played Edinburgh they've gone completely hell for leather for all out attacking rugby and blown them off the park playing them at their own game. But that was in the Pro 12- this is a different thing altogether. Still, if the games are anything like the two we've played so far this season neutrals are in for a treat.

They've finished;

Edinburgh 20-42 Ulster
Ulster 38-16 Edinburgh

Nope embra were missing Rennie, Dents, Gilchrist, Scott, Blair and Goldman was playing fly half.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 13 Apr 2012, 3:35 pm

Nah, they had Good Godman in. They'll be a lot tougher in the semi but I think the home support will swing it for us.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 13 Apr 2012, 3:50 pm

Depends on how you look at it, each could be considered a star-studded team... Not bad for the weak league. Is this on via BBC alba by any chance?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Fri 13 Apr 2012, 3:56 pm

Its on BBC alba

Edit - sorry I am being dim - HC games are not - I was thinking of tonights game

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Fri 13 Apr 2012, 4:18 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
Don Alfonso wrote:

They've finished;

Edinburgh 20-42 Ulster
Ulster 38-16 Edinburgh

Nope embra were missing Rennie, Dents, Gilchrist, Scott, Blair and Goldman was playing fly half.

Not really indicative of a great deal, then. Laidlaw, Rennie and Denton I rate highly. Blair I'm not so sure about - there's a reason he's being let go, I'd say. Always preferred Cusiter.

We're still waiting on a truly good game from iHumph in 2011/12 - something along the lines of one of those blistering perfomances he put in last season. If he can dig one of those out (and he's long overdue), I'd be a bit more confident. What was the Edinburgh team like in ravenhill? Any better?

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 13 Apr 2012, 4:18 pm

No, I thought this was referring to a League game actually, instead of the HC game, doh! I guess I'll catch it via SkySports then Smile.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Fri 13 Apr 2012, 6:26 pm

Don Alfonso wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
Don Alfonso wrote:

They've finished;

Edinburgh 20-42 Ulster
Ulster 38-16 Edinburgh

Not really indicative of a great deal, then. Laidlaw, Rennie and Denton I rate highly. Blair I'm not so sure about - there's a reason he's being let go, I'd say. Always preferred Cusiter.

We're still waiting on a truly good game from iHumph in 2011/12 - something along the lines of one of those blistering perfomances he put in last season. If he can dig one of those out (and he's long overdue), I'd be a bit more confident. What was the Edinburgh team like in ravenhill? Any better?

theres also a reason he was shortlisted for world player of the year, and barring 2009 is generally considered one of the best scrum halfs around, but lets not read too much into that...
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down