The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales mourns past-captain Malcolm Thomas

2 posters

Go down

Wales mourns past-captain Malcolm Thomas Empty Wales mourns past-captain Malcolm Thomas

Post by Knowsit17 Fri 13 Apr 2012, 3:00 pm

Just caught this on the beeb.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17702777

Not being familiar with Thomas as a player, I'm probably not the best person to be writing an article on him. His record though speaks for itself. Former Wales skipper. A man responsible for Wales' first Grand Slam since 1911. Two Grand Slams to his record overall and two Lions tours to NZ. Also part of the Newport side that beat Australia in 1957.

I'd like to invite anyone who knows more about him to educate those who don't and also everyone to pay their respects to a fine servant of Welsh rugby.

RIP rose

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Wales mourns past-captain Malcolm Thomas Empty Re: Wales mourns past-captain Malcolm Thomas

Post by maestegmafia Sat 14 Apr 2012, 10:44 am

I remember Thomas as a talented player. A bit like Tony Clement, the Swansea player in the late eighties early nineties, or in some ways James Hook.

He wasnt an automatic selection, often a reserve, in the days when you needed a Doctors approval that a player was injured to substitute. He was a good goal kicker and had a keen eye for the gap.

But he played in an era where we had a great Welsh team, tough club rugby and many many of the gamesbest players. Thomas was fighting for selection against Dr Jack, Gareth Griffiths and probably the best outside Center to ever take the field Bleddyn Williams. On the wing ken Jones or Rowlands were often ahead of him.

But his goal kicking as well as his play kept him the mix. It is sad to see all these guys reach the end of their wonderful lives, it is great to see fans too young to remember these old men take in an interest in who they were.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down