The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is why Frank Mir is my favourite fighter!

Go down

This is why Frank Mir is my favourite fighter! Empty This is why Frank Mir is my favourite fighter!

Post by talkingpoint Sat 21 Apr 2012, 3:45 pm

http://www.fightwriting.com/frank-mir-the-insatiable-fighter/

Very well written article about Frank Mir on his career in MMA and his stoicism to overcome all his setbacks. Win or Lose Frank is the man!

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

This is why Frank Mir is my favourite fighter! Empty Re: This is why Frank Mir is my favourite fighter!

Post by Guest Sat 21 Apr 2012, 5:05 pm

Not a bad read but had expected a little more but fair play for posting it. I felt like doing a thread about Frank Mir myself recently but I'll add to yours.

Here's part 1 of a seminar Frank did in Canada I think, it comes in 10 parts, quite interesting I thought & again shows his passion for the sport/art. He seems a decent guy, quite a scoop for a small MMA/BJJ club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_46WInJ1LE&list=FLRtTESEEptJ5UmsoPzaSkeA&index=9&feature=plpp_video

Just read from a link on MMA Core that Mir will be fighting JDS, Dana didn't want to leave anything to chance regarding Overeem.

Back to top Go down

This is why Frank Mir is my favourite fighter! Empty Re: This is why Frank Mir is my favourite fighter!

Post by talkingpoint Sat 21 Apr 2012, 6:13 pm

some of the statistics in the article I thought were very insightful - I think Frank's success and longevity in the sport is down to the way he handles losses, he always come back stronger. Great mental strength and philosophy.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 21 Apr 2012, 7:03 pm

The stats read well but then we have to look for example where the first two fighters went after Mir defeated them. With regard to his wrestling background it seems most of the top guys in MMA, particularly Americans have it. Also he may have the most wins at HW & the most wins from subs in the UFC but the numbers themselves are quite low. Look at the amount of fights Overeem for example has had in Pride, Dream, K1, Strikeforce & UFC combined & the amount of title he's won. I think both Anderson Silva & GSP have better records at their weights. With regards to his losses & losses in MMA in general there is a lot less stigma than a loss in boxing, especially at high level & can have a lot less effects to the fighter mentally. As Joe Rogan often says 'this is MMA anything can happen', I agree. There are so many more ways to win than in boxing, sometimes its just the case of the better guy on the night or a costly mistake as Nog made in their second fight or that Fedor made against Hendo. Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of Mir, read & watched a few interviews plus the 10 part youtube link that I posted & think he's a genuinely nice guy, down to earth & an insightful martial artist, just didn't think it was such a great article & seemed to be written by a fan.

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Sat 21 Apr 2012, 8:05 pm

sohotnot wrote:The stats read well but then we have to look for example where the first two fighters went after Mir defeated them. With regard to his wrestling background it seems most of the top guys in MMA, particularly Americans have it. Also he may have the most wins at HW & the most wins from subs in the UFC but the numbers themselves are quite low. Look at the amount of fights Overeem for example has had in Pride, Dream, K1, Strikeforce & UFC combined & the amount of title he's won. I think both Anderson Silva & GSP have better records at their weights. With regards to his losses & losses in MMA in general there is a lot less stigma than a loss in boxing, especially at high level & can have a lot less effects to the fighter mentally. As Joe Rogan often says 'this is MMA anything can happen', I agree. There are so many more ways to win than in boxing, sometimes its just the case of the better guy on the night or a costly mistake as Nog made in their second fight or that Fedor made against Hendo. Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of Mir, read & watched a few interviews plus the 10 part youtube link that I posted & think he's a genuinely nice guy, down to earth & an insightful martial artist, just didn't think it was such a great article & seemed to be written by a fan.

I hear you, this article is not gospel or anything, but there isn't a big range of articles on Mir around, not ones I know of anyway. Regarding other records such as Overeem, Silva and GSP as the old saying goes you can only beat the person put in front of you. I'm not disputing other fighters have better records than Mir, Silva for one is arguably the greatest fighter in MMA, but as you said in MMA anything can happen and that especially applies to the heavyweight division. No heavyweight champion has successfully defended their title more than 3 times, that's the nature of the heavyweight division. Overeem has an incredible record but he's also at the centre of a testosterone controversy, which could potentially taint his record if it is proved he has been cheating the regulations.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 21 Apr 2012, 8:37 pm

With regard to Overeem it was more the amount of fights he's had compared to Mir who he is a similar age to. With regard to Overeem's latest situation I'm not happy about it but not surprised either, just look at his physic! Bad as it sounds I want him found guilty & slaughtered for it. This whole TRT does not sit well with me. It puts the whole MMA world in a bad light at a time when its getting really big & the UFC is trying to portray itself in a good light what with so many people against it. I think it only taints Overeems record in UFC & Strikeforce, out in Japan, K1, Pride the testing is very lax, in the early days of Pride everybody was using & K1 is not a lot better, just check out a lot of the fighters physic's in the final compared to other fights throughout the year, I wont mention any names but roids are big in Holland with kick boxers although Bonjasky has always been considered clean & I think so as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Sat 21 Apr 2012, 8:45 pm

Overeem has an incredible amount of experience its true but he has also fought in the LHW division as well, which may account for his amount of fights. I hope Overeem is punished too if found guilty but I guess the UFC are looking for their next monster now that Brock has left, someone who would really personify the moniker of 'baddest man on the planet' they are so found of tagging onto the heavyweight champion.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 21 Apr 2012, 8:56 pm

talkingpoint wrote:Overeem has an incredible amount of experience its true but he has also fought in the LHW division as well, which may account for his amount of fights. I hope Overeem is punished too if found guilty but I guess the UFC are looking for their next monster now that Brock has left, someone who would really personify the moniker of 'baddest man on the planet' they are so found of tagging onto the heavyweight champion.

Its a pity they feel the need to adopt that mentality, for me it doesn't show the sport in the most positive light. Also Brock went from monster to teddy bear so this could come back to haunt them. For me JDS is a good role model for the sport, came across as a real gent & a down to earth all round good guy on TUF & he can fight. One shocking thing I saw on Inside MMA was Michael Schiavallo trying stick up for Overeem & diss the NSAC by saying why were they testing him when he doesn't have a license to fight there & also that the test was two months before the fight so that it shouldn't matter! Both Joe Rogan & Bas Rutten challenged him on this. neither agreed with him.

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Sat 21 Apr 2012, 9:36 pm

JDS does seem like a true gentleman, both him and Cain come across as great role models. It is these types of athletes who have strong work ethics and who are respectful that should be supported by the UFC. I think they do to a certain degree, the UFC need guys like them because if the UFC was filled with the likes of Brock Lesnars and Nick Diaz's then it may have a hard time shaking off their old image for human cockfighting. That's why I like Mir so much, he's a great athlete, dedicated martial artist who respects the sport and a thinking man's type of fighter who's cerebral and articulate. These are the ambassadors of the sport that the UFC needs to take this sport further and give MMA a positive reputation.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 Apr 2012, 8:01 am

Now that Frank Mir has been confirmed to fight JDS here is an interview with him giving his thoughts on the fight & a couple of other fighters on the card.

http://www.mma-core.com/videos/interviews/UFC_146_Frank_Mir_Gives_his_Thoughts_on_His_Unexpected_UFC_T/10028789

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Thu 26 Apr 2012, 8:15 am

nice interview, man this fight is huge for Frank, this fight will probably be his last chance to win the title and on a month's notice! Imo that's alot of pressure! I'm sure Frank can handle it by now as he's been there before but nevertheless JDS is an extremely dangerous opponent. I guess against JDS it's no secret Frank would want to take the fight to the ground but he has to be careful, he underestimated Big Nog and almost got KO'd; I hope he's learnt from that fight and doesn't allow JDS too much time and space.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down