The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Edinburgh

+27
KiaRose
Cari
prop_lyd
Mrs Penfro
perthshirepuma
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Mickado
Hound_of_Harrow
Breadvan
Luckless Pedestrian
eirebilly
Gibson
WillyGilly
rodders
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
PenfroPete
red_stag
Biltong
MrsP
Rory_Gallagher
Rava
Suspicious lurker
Pal Joey
Glas a du
Thomond
Ozzy3213
Notch
31 posters

Page 16 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next

Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Edinburgh  - Page 16 Empty The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Edinburgh

Post by Guest Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:49 pm

First topic message reminder :

Welcome to the Virtual Rugby Pub - a place where you can come in for a sly beverage and discuss whatever's on your mind, or just eavesdrop on the regulars if you fancy a break from all the rugby chat. The pub has ventured to Edinburgh, as the team has made their first ever Heineken Cup Semi Final.

The only rule in this pub is one of mutual respect for everyone in it, oh and no defacing the pictures of Martyn Williams, Shane Williams, Paddy Jackson, Paul O'Connell and Tim Visser.

Ale cuppa coffee mug guinness cider RedWine Bubbly

Old Pub: https://www.606v2.com/t27886p1000-the-dew-drop-inn-virtual-rugby-pub-belfast#1157191

Last edited by rugbydreamer on Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:39 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Edinburgh  - Page 16 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Edinburgh

Post by MrsP Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:22 am

rugbydreamer wrote:I've just started re-reading the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series by Tad Williams. Only read them once, and that was about 7 years ago now, so long enough that I'll have forgotten a fair bit of the details so I can enjoy them all over again Smile

I read those years ago too. I remember waiting ages for the final one to be published and then it was delayed (I think) because they decided to publish it as 2 books or something?

Really enjoyed them.

Haven't read too much Fantasy recently.

Bikkies,

Is there much interest in the Ulster game there or is everyone fully focused on Sunday?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Edinburgh  - Page 16 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Edinburgh

Post by red_stag Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:25 am

Mickado wrote:Rugby is certainly on everyone’s lips in work. I’ve gone for 3 cuppa’s today and everytime I go someone has mentioned the game to me.
Even one French guy was saying he can’t wait for the game, he’ll be watching at home in his Leinster jersey.

Deadly buzz….

Im torn betewen watching all the rugby this weekend. Or none of the rugby.

I don't have Sky Sports so I would have to go to pub to see Ulster and Leinster games as well as the Cross Keys match.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:26 am

MrsP wrote:
rugbydreamer wrote:I've just started re-reading the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series by Tad Williams. Only read them once, and that was about 7 years ago now, so long enough that I'll have forgotten a fair bit of the details so I can enjoy them all over again Smile

I read those years ago too. I remember waiting ages for the final one to be published and then it was delayed (I think) because they decided to publish it as 2 books or something?

Really enjoyed them.

Haven't read too much Fantasy recently.

Aye that's it, the third was split into 2, called Green Angel Tower: Storm and Green Angel Tower:.....(something I can't remember!)

Thats the things about a series of books though, the waiting for the next book to get published! Still, they are usually always worth the wait Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:28 am

Gary Neville's 'goalgasm' last night;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/apr/25/gary-neville-fernando-torres-goalgasm?CMP=twt_gu

When Gary met Sally, they're calling it.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:28 am

Watch it all Stag! is the Munster match on tv?

MrsP, most people have just said “big weekend coming up eh, you going?” which does prompt a conversation about both games.
In general it’s mostly about Sunday but I think a lot of (non rugby) people are going to get a shock when they see the size of the Ulster support.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:35 am

They were worth the wait indeed!

Bikkies,

The numbers travelling are really impressive. The kid's school have an athletics meet sheduled that they have brought forward or they would have no kids to compete. The son tells me that every single lad on his rugby team are heading down with their folks. I'm seriouly worried that the roads are going to be chockablock!

Shocked

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:35 am

Its on Skysports I think Mickado. Maybe I can get a link and HDMI the laptop into the telly.

I have the apartment to myself for the weekend.

Also theres a chance for me at getting an all expenses paid trip to the European Championships in Poland with the girlfriend!!
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:39 am

I'll be watching the rugby on my laptop. My dad's got Sky Sports, but he'll be watching the snooker.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:39 am

I enjoyed Cloud Atlas Stag. But it's really a poor mans Italo Calvino! 'If On A Winters Night A Traveller' is the novel that most influenced it.

The novel I read before my cyberpunk trilogy was unbelievably good- a birthday present from my brother.

The instructions by Adam Levin.

It's a massive book- over 1200 pages- but it flew in. It's about Guiron Maccabee, a 10-year old boy in Chicago with Zionist politics, an amazing grasp of Jewish theology and a belief that he might be the messiah- and the exceptionally violent uprising he masterminds after being expelled from two schools and forced into a programme for disruptive students in a suburban high school.

Highly recommended.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:44 am

Now that's another book that sounds like a great read. There are too many!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:45 am

Dreamer,

I can just see you adding these to your "To read" list as we speak!

Just don't buy then untill you have moved!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:53 am

MrsP - ha that I am. I'm going to have to be disciplined and just not go anywhere near a book shop. Everytime I walk past one, I always tend to buy something!

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:57 am

This week I've been mainly reading 606v2

This book club sounds good as long as you don't force it on anyone, no doubt everyone will be welcome and can pop in for a chat whenever they like, but won't feel obliged to.

Hmmm this sounds very similar to something that's going on in the ulster changing room right now...............
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:00 pm

You could do what alcoholics do when they are trying to stay "on the wagon". Go to all the local book shops and tell them they are not to sell you any more books no matter how much you plead with them!

Mind you, you'll probably see something you fancy on the way out of the shop and then stand outside trying to persuade some passing stranger to go in and buy it for you!

No, you're right, self control will be required!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:02 pm

Hoog wrote:This week I've been mainly reading 606v2

This book club sounds good as long as you don't force it on anyone, no doubt everyone will be welcome and can pop in for a chat whenever they like, but won't feel obliged to.

Hmmm this sounds very similar to something that's going on in the ulster changing room right now...............

Not compulsory Hughie.

But book "soup" will be served!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:03 pm

laughing

I'm just going to have to avoid shops in general I think Mrs P! Take myself out of the path of temptation and all that....

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:06 pm

As long as it potatoes soup, anything with potatoes Is alright by me.
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:36 pm

Leek and potato soup, now that's good stuff.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:39 pm

Ah I'm a traditionilist at heart luckless, Vegetable Soup all the way with home made brown bread for dipper. Has to be generously coated in Real Butter though
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:42 pm

I'd have white bread myself, but each to their own Smile

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:46 pm

We all know how you like to “take the soup” Hughie!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:47 pm

Home made roasted Red Pepper and tomato with basil (num num)
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:48 pm

I had beef consomme a few months ago. It was from a tin but it was meant to be 'luxury.' I didn't think much of it at all.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:51 pm

PM for Staggy.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:56 pm

On a vegetable-related note, I had roasted parsnips a week or two ago (I think someone mentioned them here) and I loved them. I hadn't tried them since I was about eight.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:57 pm

Cheers Breaker!!
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Penfro Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:04 pm

Kiwireddevil wrote:
red_stag wrote:The book I have read most often is Kane & Abel by Jeffery Archer.

KIWI - would you recommend a Kindle over convetional books?

I would recommend it as well as conventional books - there's a time and place for both. I spend 90 minutes or more each weekday on the tube, I find reading the Kindle or a newspaper much better there (plus you're not wearing a book out in your bag). Sitting on the couch at home a book is better.

And having the Kindle for the nice long flights down-under saves carrying 5 or more paperbacks if you read at the speed I do.

I agree with all the above, Kindles are great but I couldn't ever stop using book altogether.

Mrs Penfro

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:07 pm

Noooooo! Double dip recession! steam Sad

..anyways I'm just finishing off "the Hobbit" right now. Read LOTR years ago but just getting round to this in time for the movie.

Before that I read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo books, which are well worth a read.

Actually read some cracking books last year: Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance and IT by Stephen King being the best guinness .

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:07 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Leek and potato soup, now that's good stuff.

I discovered I love leeks.

Never ate it before in my life. so the wife and I have decided we must make a concerted effort to eat more veggies and started buying leeks.

I braise them in a little butter with some salt and pepper.

Absolutely delicious. Drool
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:10 pm

I must be the only person in the world who found the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo to be over rated and not particularly enjoyable.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:11 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:On a vegetable-related note, I had roasted parsnips a week or two ago (I think someone mentioned them here) and I loved them. I hadn't tried them since I was about eight.
Lucky, try roasting them with a sprinkling of sage or thyme (no parsley or rosemary) and a drizzle of honey - num, num

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:12 pm

I thought that when I finished the first one Stag but found the triology as whole to be pretty enjoyable and well thought out.

Not the best books I've read by any stretch but pretty entertaining.

Not really my genre though.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:13 pm

biltongbek wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Leek and potato soup, now that's good stuff.

I discovered I love leeks.

Never ate it before in my life. so the wife and I have decided we must make a concerted effort to eat more veggies and started buying leeks.

I braise them in a little butter with some salt and pepper.

Absolutely delicious. Drool
Biltong, fry up a shallot and some garlic (to taste) and cover the bottom of a roasting dish with that, then chop up your leeks, cover them with cheese sauce, and bake in the oven for 45 mins - num, num

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:15 pm

Glas a du wrote:
Linebreaker wrote:Correct take, Glas. It's huge business down here.

So Mick, how long can the GAA hold out as amateurs faced with the inevitable loss of talent? (I'm not advocating change or otherwise, I am genuinely interested in the debate as an outsider)

https://www.606v2.com/t23785-when-is-enough-enough

That thread might interest you and seeing as I like to pimp my own product give this a go over: http://www.sportpulse.net/content/full-time-amateur-life-gaa-player-2847

Stag, if you don't have Sky will I send on "The list"?

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:18 pm

...ah flip almost forgot why I popped in!

Does anyone know any decent Hotels, not too expensive, near Twickenham?

Was thinking about the Travellodge but wondering if anyone has stayed near there before? Obviously somewhere handy for the stadium, pubs etc.?

Cheers guinness.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:20 pm

Rodders there's nothing left in and around Twickenham. Go on booking.com and do a search for rooms near Twickenham and just widen it out until you find something.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:22 pm

Rava wrote:Rodders there's nothing left in and around Twickenham. Go on booking.com and do a search for rooms near Twickenham and just widen it out until you find something.

Alternately my place is a 25 minute minicab ride to Twickers, and the airbed in the lounge comes cheap.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:43 pm

Rodders – if you are intent on staying in a hotel, you could do worse than look at Reading. The prices probably won’t have doubled there, and there is a half hourly train service to Richmond/ Twickenham (12 and 42 past the hour) which takes about an hour.

The good thing on the way back is that you can’t miss your stop – Reading is where the service terminates.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:46 pm

Success after 40 minutes on the phone I was able to haggle my way down from €1890 down to €1250 for comprehensive insurance.

#wheelerdealer
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:48 pm

Stag,

Don't bother watching the Munster A game. I wouldn't like to see somebody so upset. I take it you missed my post that Jason Tovey is involved by the looks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:50 pm

So is JJ Hanrahan, he will be great. Hoping to get down there it's a shoite time for it.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:53 pm

Is he Rev? Wow thats a big player for them.

Did you hear that the Munster A team travelled over to see Avaraon (spelling) v Cross Keys. Keys sent a shadow side and shipped 70 points. They are up for it.

Also Denis Fogarty is off to France. Leaving Munster.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:55 pm

Fogsrty is going to be playing for Jeremy Davidson, who is coaching Aurillac.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:56 pm

Ponty v Llandovery has been called off due to a water logged pitch steam

The rain hasn't even been that bad, speaks volumes if Ponty's pitch can't cope.

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:12 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:Ponty v Llandovery has been called off due to a water logged pitch steam

The rain hasn't even been that bad, speaks volumes if Ponty's pitch can't cope.
What feicin cocoon have you been in Dreamer, the world doesn't end at Castell Coch you know !!! Whistle
Took me 1hr 20 mins to get in on the bus this morning due to the 'flooding' on the A470 and subsequent crash.
Absolutely chucking it down - we are talking biblical proportions. Have a look at the Taff
Herself, emailed me to ask if I'd seen the Ark Shocked

Disappointed, as I was thinking of going. Will be interestuing to see if the final at the Arms Park goes ahead tonight ???

In other news, something I guess you already know - P!55 Heads Smile
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:15 pm

Stag,

He's trained with them anyway and is travelling so it's likely. Keys B also lost to Cardiff last night. The only footage Munster could use is Pirates and Ebbw Vale really from the past few games. The league games have been pretty much Keys seconds.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:17 pm

Really? It's raining heavily now, but it's been pretty off and on all day, nothing torrential, and the Taff was okay this morning, definitely no where near as bad as I've seen it before!

and ha yes I read that link about an hour ago, am very proud Very Happy Has made me miss the place all over again though!

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:17 pm

Thanks guys....sorry was off doing some work there for a change.... OK
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:21 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:Really? It's raining heavily now, but it's been pretty off and on all day, nothing torrential, and the Taff was okay this morning, definitely no where near as bad as I've seen it before!

and ha yes I read that link about an hour ago, am very proud Very Happy Has made me miss the place all over again though!

Guess you're too late for lunch. othewise I'd challenge you to walk into to town without a coat and a brolly Laugh
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:23 pm

ha no chance! It's chucking it down now! Wasn't raining on my lunch break though Smile

But honestly, back West you know, we wouldn't even call this a shower Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next