The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Madge (wearing all white) meets Welsh GS heroes.

+9
sugarNspikes
Breadvan
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Cari
Notch
Effervescing Elephant
red_stag
LordDowlais
Portnoy
13 posters

Go down

Madge (wearing all white) meets Welsh GS heroes. Empty Madge (wearing all white) meets Welsh GS heroes.

Post by Portnoy Thu 26 Apr 2012, 1:58 pm

In a Diamond Jubilee visit to Cardiff.

Gaffe of the year?
Or is Phil the Greek her fashion advisor?

http://yourcardiff.walesonline.co.uk/2012/04/26/queen-and-duke-of-edinburgh-visit-cardiff/

Last edited by Portnoy on Thu 26 Apr 2012, 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Madge (wearing all white) meets Welsh GS heroes. Empty Re: Madge (wearing all white) meets Welsh GS heroes.

Post by LordDowlais Thu 26 Apr 2012, 2:05 pm

She is visiting Merthyr Tydfil today as well. She has probably come to rubber stamp the valleys business plan and tell us that they will play at Penydarren Park. Yahoo

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Madge (wearing all white) meets Welsh GS heroes. Empty Re: Madge (wearing all white) meets Welsh GS heroes.

Post by red_stag Thu 26 Apr 2012, 2:05 pm

Is this because she is no longer a virgin?
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Thu 26 Apr 2012, 2:26 pm

red_stag wrote:Is this because she is no longer a virgin?

No Staggy. She has been violated on a number of occasions.

Maybe 'The Palace' thought that Swansea was the capital of Wales?
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Thu 26 Apr 2012, 4:03 pm

Why has what colour the Queen wears any significance whatsoever or are you just just looking for a reason to feel aggrieved?
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 26 Apr 2012, 5:55 pm

I thought this post was referring to Madonna Erm
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu 26 Apr 2012, 6:40 pm

Notch wrote:I thought this post was referring to Madonna Erm

Me too! But then I always thought she had good taste in men... Whistle

Thankfully I missed Liz and the hanger-ons what with me working 12 miles away. Good to see that the Welsh weather didn't let me down either and it pisssed down a bit whilst she's here... Wink

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Thu 26 Apr 2012, 6:42 pm

Nah Notch. This is the original, albeit rather less famous, Madge I'm on about.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 26 Apr 2012, 6:52 pm

I assumed Majestic Imperialman, after all hes a huge fan of the Welsh

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 26 Apr 2012, 7:00 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:I assumed Majestic Imperialman, after all hes a huge fan of the Welsh

Laugh

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Thu 26 Apr 2012, 7:25 pm

Before a luncheon for 160 at the Orangery, the Queen met a group of Wales’ Grand Slam winners including Sam Warburton, Ryan Jones, Toby Faletau, Dan Lydiate and Rhys Priestland together with manager Alan Phillips and WRU chief executive Roger Lewis.

Asked afterwards what it was like to win the Grand Slam and meet the Queen in the same year, Carmarthen born Rhys Priestland, 25, from Carmarthen answered: “You can’t complain”.

Skipper Sam Warburton said afterwards: “It’s another box to tick off, not many can say they have spoken to the Queen.

“This is a massive honour for us for the Queen to meet us and for me personally it was a very proud moment.”

Fellow back row, Llandrindod Wells raised Dan Lydiate said: “To be honest, I never thought I’d meet the Queen.”

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2012/04/26/queen-to-meet-grand-slam-winning-rugby-team-on-welsh-visit-91466-30844070/2/

Lurvelly!

Personally I would have taken tea with Leanne Wood http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2012/04/24/leanne-wood-rejects-invitation-to-join-the-queen-s-jubilee-celebrations-in-wales-91466-30822712/ .

Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Fri 27 Apr 2012, 10:32 am

Some of the Plaid nationalists on the comments section are unrea.l What a bunch of censored
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Fri 27 Apr 2012, 10:37 am

Cari wrote:

Thankfully I missed Liz and the hanger-ons what with me working 12 miles away. Good to see that the Welsh weather didn't let me down either and it pisssed down a bit whilst she's here... Wink
What have you got against her? Seems a bit petty. She's your monarch too.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Fri 27 Apr 2012, 12:15 pm

Portnoy wrote: Personally I would have taken tea with Leanne Wood
Blydi hell Portnoy, we agree on something Hug
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Fri 27 Apr 2012, 1:26 pm

PenfroPete wrote:
Portnoy wrote: Personally I would have taken tea with Leanne Wood
Blydi hell Portnoy, we agree on something Hug

Don't read too much into my comment Pete. I'm a republican but not necessarily anti-unionist.

Quite frankly I'm not a unionist either, but if a UK constitutional change which affects everyone is requested then it should be put to the UK at large, not just to the potentially separatist nation. Just my opinion (which some may see as batty as ever) but I've mulled it over several times before coming to a conclusion.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Fri 27 Apr 2012, 1:59 pm

No worries Portnoy OK
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 27 Apr 2012, 5:28 pm

But what would happen if the separatist nation votes to leave and the other countries vote to keep it? It would be a mess. It's like saying both parties in a marriage need to agree to a divorce- technically true, but once one party has made the decision the only question is how messy and traumatic it's going to be...

Moot point. Scotland will narrowly vote to remain in the UK with enough backing the nationalist cause to force long, protracted negotiations about further devolution of powers and concessions from Westminster. The Westminster governments influence on that side of the border will be further diluted and NI and Welsh people will start getting ideas once the Tories spending cuts start kicking in badly whether they could do better or not...

The next decade is going to get really messy for the UK. Like, really ugly. Erm
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Fri 27 Apr 2012, 6:07 pm

This nation (the UK) was brought together for right or wrong in an era of no or at best minimal suffrage from its collective adult inhabitants.

At the time of the (to my mind rightful) republican demands for Irish independence, Westminster ceded lock, stock and barrel the whole lot which led to the Ulster uprisings from which so many have regrets and guilts for the next eighty-ninety years,

Now in the more 'enlightened' times of the 21st century, does anyone believe that a Scottish cessation from the union will not result in diatribe, bitterness and death?

This is going to happen now that the question is about to be posed whatever the electorate. A Pandora's box is about to be opened.

And the sins of unconnected fore-fathers will be exacted upon random ancestors and others.

Mark my words.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 27 Apr 2012, 6:45 pm

sugarNspikes wrote:
Cari wrote:

Each to their own. I'm not a royalist. I'm not, you possibly are. She might well be my monarch, but I didn't vote for one.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 27 Apr 2012, 7:02 pm

You don't vote for a Prime Minister either. I'd rather complete devolution. Currently more is spent per person on public funding in Wales, Scotland and Ireland than in England. Is more tax paid? Probably not although it might I suppose. Let them sort out their own taxes and spend it on what they want.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 27 Apr 2012, 7:44 pm

Diatribe and bitterness maybe, but no violence if Westminster respects the decision to leave the union (should it come to that, I doubt they will win the referendum clearly enough this time around- even if they lay the foundations for future independence in this campaign). I can't see violence. Who's interests would it serve?

The situation in Scotland is really not comparable in any way to Ireland or Northern Ireland Portnoys. The entire context of the debate is entirely different and altogether more civil.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 27 Apr 2012, 7:47 pm

Amen to that Thunor; it's the only sensible way forward and it is going to happen, essentially. The biggest barrier is the refusal of the English to contemplate their own parliament.

I've long said that major constitutional reform is needed. More powers for the Parliaments in Edinburgh, Belfast and Cardiff, the Commons revamped into an equivalent English Parliament and the Lords reformed into an elected British Senate.

As it is, the UK will slowly drift and break apart and we're not ready to deal with the ramifications of that in many areas.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 27 Apr 2012, 8:03 pm

As long as we don't supplement them I'll be happy. The Welsh Assembly is a massive joke. Health and Educational funding is poor even though more is given to them to spend. Why they couldn't have the Welsh MPs making the decisions rather than paying for another level I don't know. My wife had utter contempt for them while in Wales (and she's verging on a cottage burner). And with the health they seemed more interested in making Cardiff better than the country as a whole.

Regarding the English parliament thing, why can't we just ban Welsh, Scottish, Irish MPs voting on UK Health, Education, etc? (basically all the devolved issues)

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Fri 27 Apr 2012, 9:31 pm

Cari wrote:
sugarNspikes wrote:
Cari wrote:

Each to their own. I'm not a royalist. I'm not, you possibly are. She might well be my monarch, but I didn't vote for one.
No, I'm not a royalist. Just thought your attitude re. the rain was a bit childish.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 27 Apr 2012, 10:42 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:As long as we don't supplement them I'll be happy. The Welsh Assembly is a massive joke. Health and Educational funding is poor even though more is given to them to spend. Why they couldn't have the Welsh MPs making the decisions rather than paying for another level I don't know. My wife had utter contempt for them while in Wales (and she's verging on a cottage burner). And with the health they seemed more interested in making Cardiff better than the country as a whole.

Regarding the English parliament thing, why can't we just ban Welsh, Scottish, Irish MPs voting on UK Health, Education, etc? (basically all the devolved issues)

Because of the afore mentioned overlap of roles and double jobbing. Why pay our MPs a salary when the issues in their constituencies are resolved in the devolved institutions.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 28 Apr 2012, 8:40 am

Well I don't want to have to pay two lots of Members of whatever for England, each to do half a job. It still doesn't make a lot of sense why they didn't just take the MPs from the devolved countries and have them vote on devolved issues relating to those countries. I suppose there is a difference in devolution in each one isn't there?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 28 Apr 2012, 9:34 am

Not sure we want to go here on a Rugby thread. We have the proper devolution with our Rugby, which is important. Except every 4 years when there is a Lions tour.

There are a lot of people with very strong opinions on the subject of monarchy and Union. Just to share my background, for me, possibly as I was rasied by parents who worked for the Foreign Service and because I served in the army, I am Royalist and Unionist. I believe the economic disruption caused by any further devolution will cause a havoc unrivaled in our histories. We would be relegated to rump backwater countries off the northwest corner of Europe - just to satisfy some politicians sense of self importance. On the other hand, strong Union is not at all incompatable with how we raise and celebrate our cultural and historic uniquenesses. But that's only my opinion. We all feel differently, the essence of a strong free country.......

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Sat 28 Apr 2012, 12:37 pm

I believe the economic disruption caused by any further devolution will cause a havoc unrivaled in our histories. We would be relegated to rump backwater countries off the northwest corner of Europe - just to satisfy some politicians sense of self importance. On the other hand, strong Union is not at all incompatable with how we raise and celebrate our cultural and historic uniquenesses.

I did not serve in the Forces but I am also Royalist, basically Unionist and agree with every word above.

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down