The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Super XV Week 10 preview and live match thread

5 posters

Go down

Super XV Week 10 preview and live match thread Empty Super XV Week 10 preview and live match thread

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 26 Apr 2012, 11:41 pm

http://www.v2journal.com/super-xv-2012-preview-round-101.html
In a clever piece of scheduling for ANZAC Day this weekend sees a match between the 2011 New Zealand and Australian conference winners, and one between the respective conference runners-up.

Points Table
Australian Conference
Position Team Played Wins Losses Draws Byes Points For Points Against Points Difference Bonus Points Total
1 Brumbies 8 4 4 0 1 208 186 22 6 26
2 Waratahs 8 4 4 0 1 193 182 11 5 25
3 Reds 8 4 4 0 1 153 216 -63 1 21
4 Western Force 8 2 6 0 1 181 212 -31 5 17
5 Rebels 8 2 6 0 1 154 241 -87 2 14

New Zealand Conference
Position Team Played Wins Losses Draws Byes Points For Points Against Points Difference Bonus Points Total
1 Chiefs 8 7 1 0 1 203 148 55 3 35
2 Highlanders 8 6 2 0 1 192 170 22 2 30
3 Crusaders 8 5 3 0 1 216 173 43 4 28
4 Hurricanes 8 4 4 0 1 239 237 2 5 25
5 Blues 8 1 7 0 1 176 217 -41 4 12

South African Conference
1 Stormers 8 7 1 0 1 193 141 52 1 33
2 Bulls 8 6 2 0 1 270 171 99 5 33
3 Sharks 9 4 5 0 0 202 218 -16 7 23
4 Cheetahs 8 3 5 0 1 227 238 -11 5 21
5 Lions 7 1 6 0 2 130 192 -62 2 14

Matches
Blues vs Reds - Eden Park, Auckland
The first of the weekend's ANZAC games sees the 2011 New Zealand conference winners (and current cellar-dwellers after losing their last five matches) face the defending champions and 2011 Australian conference winners. The Reds will be desperate to hammer another nail into the Blues' 2012 season coffin as currently they are in a three-way race with the Brumbies and Waratahs for what looks like being a single Australian playoff spot.

The Blues are without Tony Woodcock and Keven Mealamu this week, both with calf strains. Piri Weepu has lost enough weight to earn a start at halfback ahead of Albie Mathewson while flanker Daniel Braid and wing Rudi Wolf return to the starting fifteen.

Wallaby number 8 Radike Samo has paid for a costly defensive lapse last week and he misses out on the flight to Auckland. However the Queenslanders welcome back two Wallabies in Anthony Faingaa who missed 9 weeks injured and Digby Ioane who has served his tip-tackle suspension and will start outside former Blue Mike Harris in the midfield. The Reds start with left- and right- flankers in Beau Robinson and Liam Gill, with Eddie Quirk to add power off the bench.

The bookmakers think the Reds will add to the Blues’ blues, personally I think it will be close given the Australian teams’ dislike of travel this year. Blues by 2.

Lions vs Brumbies - Ellis Park, Johannesburg
The Lions return to action after their second and final bye of the season looking to post just their second win. They host the Australian conference leading Brumbies who picked up two bonus points and almost stole their match in Pretoria last week. The Brumbies finished well at altitude last week (though some suggest the Bulls went to sleep); can they match that effort again?

John Mitchell this week admitted that the Lions' line out is a problem, and he has tinkered again at lock, giving Hendrik Roodt a start. In the only other change to the starting fifteen Lionel Mapoe comes in for James Kamana on the wing.

The Brumbies have lost captain Ben Mowam to a neck injury. Other reshuffles in the pack see Ben Alexander and Ruadhri Murphy start in the front row and Leon Power starts at lock, but the backline is unchanged from the side that might have beaten the Bulls but for a missed knock on.

Unless the Lions lineout starts working I think that Jake White’s men have enough to win this one. Brumbies by 7.

Force vs Stormers - nib Stadium, Perth
The Stormers have a Perth stopover at the end of their Australasian tour, facing the Force. They already have nine points to show for their efforts, and a win here will go a long way towards confirming a playoffs berth. The Force come off their bye round with a makeshift management team in place, having put Brisbane-bound Richard Graham on gardening leave.
The Force have reshuffled their back row this week, with Ben McCalman starting at 8, Matt Hodgson moving to 6 and Richard Brown benched. Captain David Pocock will be a key at 7. In the backs Fijian winger Napolioni Nalaga returns from injury just in time to replace Cameron Shepherd who is out for 6 weeks with a wrist injury.

The loss of Nick Koster, Duane Vermeulen and Gio Aplon to injury forces some changes on the Stormers this week. Andries Bekker is back from injury as lock and captain while Nizaam Carr earns his first start in the back row. Frans Malherbe is back in the front row after being rested last week. Brian Habana remains at centre with Danie Poolman coming in on Aplon’s wing.

If the Force can respond to the loss of Graham they could catch a wounded Stormers side napping, however my money is on the men from Cape Town. Stormers by 8.

Chiefs vs Hurricanes - Waikato Stadium, Hamilton
The Chiefs return home from a successful South African tour where they moved into the overall competition lead and opened a five point gap on their fellow New Zealand Conference teams. They host a Hurricanes side who were stung by a thrashing at home to the Crusaders last week and who desperately need a win to push back into playoffs reckoning.

The Chiefs welcome back halfback Brendan Leonard who has recovered from a hamstring tear in the opening round, while Tanerau Latimer and Tim Nanae-Williams return after being rested last week. It is hooker Hika Elliot's turn to start this week, with Mahroni Schwalger on the bench, while concussion fears over Richard Kahui and Leila Masaga have eased.

After being hampered by late withdrawals last week the Hurricanes are back to full strength. Prop Reg Goode makes his first appearance in 2012 after a pre-season shoulder injury while wings Corey Jane and Julian Savea, half back TJ Perenara and loose forward Jack Lam return after missing last week.

The Chiefs may be tired after a gruelling tour, but this is shaping up as their season.Chiefs by 10.

Cheetahs vs Highlanders - Free State Stadium, Bloemfontein
The Highlanders visit Bloemfontein with a proud record; after six attempts, the Cheetahs are yet to beat them. Both teams are having vintage seasons after experiencing some real lows in recent years. Picking up points in South Africa is crucial to the Highlanders as the Crusaders are looking ominous in the NZ conference race.

Captain Adriaan Strauss and fly half Johan Goosen return for the Cheetahs this week, offsetting the loss of wing Rayno Benjamin. Naka Drotske has also promoted ex-Biarritz lock Andries Ferreira and half back Tweus de Bruyn to the starting fifteen. The exciting Goosen could be a key to the Cheetah's prospects.

The Highlanders are in the early stages of a self-imposed month-long alcohol ban, so expect a very grumpy Andrew Hore to take the field. Ben Smith has recovered from concussion and returns at fullback, allowing Tamati Ellison to return to centre.

Southern muscle should be enough to take this one, Highlanders by 3.

Waratahs vs Crusaders - Sydney Football Stadium, SydneyThe second of the weekend's ANZAC matches will feature a very rare event as curtain raiser, as the Australian and New Zealand rugby 7s teams play each other. Sevens internationals played outside of tournaments are extremely rare, but the two sides are taking the opportunity for a competitive hit-out before travelling to the UK for the final two tournaments of the IRB Sevens World Series.

The Crusaders come into this match in prime form having dished out a hiding to an injury depleted Hurricanes side in Wellington last week while the Waratahs picked up a comfortable home win over the battling Rebels. A win is crucial to both sides, with the Waratahs seeking to put pressure on the Brumbies and Reds in the Australian Conference and the Crusaders currently holding onto the final wild card playoff spot and needing to try to close the gap on the Chiefs and Highlanders in the NZ conference.

Meanwhile the Waratahs have delayed naming their starting fifteen, with a makeshift backline needing to be put together after losing Rob Horne to suspension and Bernard Foley to injury, with Adam Ashley-Cooper likely to move to either fullback or centre. Flanker Chris Alcock has appendicitis so expect Rocky Elsom to earn his first start of the year.

Richie McCaw is back. The King of Flankers sits on the Crusaders' bench this week in what should be his first match since lifting the William Web-Ellis Trophy last year. Todd Blackadder has continued his regular prop rotation, with the Franks brothers starting and Wyatt Crockett on the bench this week. Lock Sam Whitelock also gets a spell on the bench with Luke Romano starting alongside Tom Donnelly. Dan Carter stays in the 12 jersey outside Tom Taylor, and Adam Whitelock remains on the wing in place of the injured Sean Maitland.

The Crusaders have won their last nine matches against the Waratahs, and the smart money is on them extending the streak to ten. Crusaders by 9.

Bye
Bulls, Rebels, Sharks

Last edited by Kiwireddevil on Tue 01 May 2012, 1:21 pm; edited 3 times in total
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Super XV Week 10 preview and live match thread Empty Re: Super XV Week 10 preview and live match thread

Post by Taylorman Thu 26 Apr 2012, 11:48 pm

Gone for more or less the same KD thumbsup

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Super XV Week 10 preview and live match thread Empty Re: Super XV Week 10 preview and live match thread

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 27 Apr 2012, 12:11 am

Yeah, I agree with you Kiwi apart from the Cheetahs/Highlanders,this Cheetahs team is nothing like the cheetahs of old,they will at some stage make some of the bigger boys above them on the ladder miserable, and I can see them taking this one,they will have fully recovered after having time at home after their travels overseas.

If Blues dont win this week surely the proverbial is going to hit the fan,even though two years ago the Reds took the wooden spoon,then a year later not only won the minor premiership but also the final,I'm trying real hard here.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 27 Apr 2012, 12:24 am

aucklandlaurie wrote: Yeah, I agree with you Kiwi apart from the Cheetahs/Highlanders,this Cheetahs team is nothing like the cheetahs of old,they will at some stage make some of the bigger boys above them on the ladder miserable, and I can see them taking this one,they will have fully recovered after having time at home after their travels overseas.

If Blues dont win this week surely the proverbial is going to hit the fan,even though two years ago the Reds took the wooden spoon,then a year later not only won the minor premiership but also the final,I'm trying real hard here.

I like your thinking though....Its that scraping the bottom of the barrell stuff I havnt resorted to yet but I'm getting there... thumbsup

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 27 Apr 2012, 12:28 am

Taylorman,I was desperate before the kick off of the first game (remember you told me to have faith),so if I was desperate then you can imagine what I am now.

As an a side thought, I do think the Blues will come back to form,however with so many games left in the NZ conference,they will probably only destroy the hopes of some other New Zealand team.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 27 Apr 2012, 10:11 am

Reds lead 15-8 at half time, they've extended to 23-11 now, into the final minutes.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 27 Apr 2012, 10:41 am

Reds win 23-11, 3 tries to 1. Awful conditions in Auckland for the match apparently.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 27 Apr 2012, 2:07 pm

well not bad only one wrong out of one.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 29 Apr 2012, 9:32 pm

What did the weekend tell us:

How often does a prop lead the tryscoring ladder of a competition after 10 weeks?

Butch James gets four weeks for that?

Lucky for James Haskell he doesnt have the list of convictions that James has or he might be in for more than he will get.

I know injury affects all players and teams,but Goosen being out for the next four months is what you call bad luck,he has been progressing all season.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 30 Apr 2012, 1:19 am

aucklandlaurie wrote: Goosen being out for the next four months is what you call bad luck,he has been progressing all season.

Really? Is he...Geez, not good to have injuries as serious as that as a 19 year old. Maybe it is a litle early at this level for him despite the talent. There not much to him either so I hope he recovers well.

But from a NZ point of view what did we learn?

For me its just confirmed how strong our playing base still is with 4 teams competing strongly even though many players are new to the scene. The Crusaders model has spread through to the Canes and Chiefs and the Highlanders are working their own style in nicely. As far as individuals go too many stand out to be specific.

We're in a very strong position to go forward I reckon.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Fishpaste Mon 30 Apr 2012, 9:01 am

...And how did the cheetah's manage to pull that off...talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 01 May 2012, 2:07 pm

Haven't been around to see any of the rugby this weekend, but it seems the same old illness still plaques South African rugby teams, lead by enough to really drive the screws and then somehow find a way to lose.

Pathetic.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down