The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

who should make the full Welsh squad for Oz?

+13
Shifty
wales606
BigTrevsbigmac
TycroesOsprey
bedfordwelsh
Smirnoffpriest
Casartelli
gowales
majesticimperialman
maestegmafia
chris_501
ScarletSpiderman
Pot Noodle Miner
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

who should make the full Welsh squad for Oz? - Page 2 Empty who should make the full Welsh squad for Oz?

Post by Pot Noodle Miner Fri 27 Apr 2012, 10:52 am

First topic message reminder :

i'd like to see

1. Jenkins
2. Rees
3. Jones
4. Charteris
5. Evans
6. Lydiate
7. Warburton/Tipuric
8. Faletau
9. Phillips
10. Priestland
11. North
12. Beck
13. S.Williams
14. Cuthbert
15. Halfpenny

16. Owens
17. James
18. AW-Jones
19. R.Jones
20. R.Webb
21. D.Biggar
22. J.Hook/A.Bishop

if JD2 is fit then i'd go with him and Scott Williams to start, Warbs at 7 if fit with Tips dropping out of the 22 with Ryan Jones on the bench as supersub, im not sure whether to go with Bishop, Hook or Beck at 12 but i've gone with Beck as hes been in superb form all season, although if his defence isn't up to scratch i'd go with Bishop.

other squad members:

23, R.Gill
24, C.Mitchell
25, H.Bennett
26, B.Davies
27, Tipuric
28, A.Shingler
29, L.Williams
30, A.Bishop
31, Li.Williams
32. L.Byrne

i'd like to see all squad members who are'nt involved in the 1st test given a go in the midweek game, i'd completely leave out Gethin & Adam and go with Gill and Mitchell to start with James once again covering from the bench.
Pot Noodle Miner
Pot Noodle Miner

Back to top Go down

who should make the full Welsh squad for Oz? - Page 2 Empty Re: who should make the full Welsh squad for Oz?

Post by wales606 Fri 04 May 2012, 3:30 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Smirnoffpriest wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:I don't see north as an inside centre at all. An outside maybe.

I would rather have Beck and JD2 in the centre with Priestland and Phillips at halfback and the regular north, Cuthbert and Halfpenny back three.

+1

But it's the second row I can't call. There are four very good lads all chomping at the bit for the shirt. They are all very different players.

AWJ an athletic bruiser, gives graft and guile also great leadership.

Luke Charteris fantastic RWC and Six nations athletic, great tackler awesome line out.

Ian Evans, great line out, gets around the pitch loads.

Bradley Davies is a monster great in the line out awesome ball in hand.

I have a clue who I would select over another and why... As they all have so many reasons for selection...!

I'd be happy with any combination to be honest - I may lean towards Evans and Charteris but more for personal preference and certainly wouldn't be unhappy with Bradley and AWJ

Agree, Charteris and I.Evans for me - Charteris was awesome in the WC and Ian Evans was awesome in the 6Ns + it would be useful to have 2 locks of similar size (Evans is massive aswell)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

who should make the full Welsh squad for Oz? - Page 2 Empty Re: who should make the full Welsh squad for Oz?

Post by maestegmafia Fri 04 May 2012, 5:10 pm

wales606 wrote:
Smirnoffpriest wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Smirnoffpriest wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:I don't see north as an inside centre at all. An outside maybe.

I would rather have Beck and JD2 in the centre with Priestland and Phillips at halfback and the regular north, Cuthbert and Halfpenny back three.

+1

But it's the second row I can't call. There are four very good lads all chomping at the bit for the shirt. They are all very different players.

AWJ an athletic bruiser, gives graft and guile also great leadership.

Luke Charteris fantastic RWC and Six nations athletic, great tackler awesome line out.

Ian Evans, great line out, gets around the pitch loads.

Bradley Davies is a monster great in the line out awesome ball in hand.

I have a clue who I would select over another and why... As they all have so many reasons for selection...!

I'd be happy with any combination to be honest - I may lean towards Evans and Charteris but more for personal preference and certainly wouldn't be unhappy with Bradley and AWJ

Agree, Charteris and I.Evans for me - Charteris was awesome in the WC and Ian Evans was awesome in the 6Ns + it would be useful to have 2 locks of similar size (Evans is massive aswell)

Having thought about this this afternoon I think that AWJ is a key part and the other slot will have to fit around him. Likely Charteris as in the RWC and later 6N.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Fri 04 May 2012, 9:02 pm

Currently a lot of injured Welsh players:

Halfpenny, Roberts, Warburton
JD2, Scott Williams, North, Smiler
Tipuric, Bennett, Beck (first start Saturday)
Charteris, Byrne.
Of the others Priestland is still carrying an injury but playing.

Could be a lot of substitutes required for the summer tour if Wales are to take two teams as sugested!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 04 May 2012, 9:12 pm

Thats quite a list mate...!

Though we the fans are told by the press that all bar Roberts will be available in time for the International call.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 May 2012, 9:21 pm

Charteris is playing tomorrow. Maybe a few of the other Dragons players (Lewis Evans for one) can force their way into the squad for the Barbarians game. I am not sure who warrants a place though, bar our usual three.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 04 May 2012, 10:00 pm

Evans has been on the fringes off and on so it wouldn't be that big a surprise if he was given a bit more exposure, a lot will depend on the size of the tour party I guess.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 04 May 2012, 10:41 pm

Lewis Evans has plenty of good quality competition with Lydiate, Shingler, Ryan and possibly McCusker or Turnbull in the running too.

He was in the Squad pre six nations for the Australia match after a run of very good form.

Tough position to compete for...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 May 2012, 11:07 pm

He hasn't been playing well enough to be fair. But it only took one good performance against USAP at home to get in the training squad last time. I don't think he will get a chance. Adam Hughes might have a good shot though. He's playing very well.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 04 May 2012, 11:47 pm

Beck has been one of the regional finds of the season which resulted in the 22-year-old being called up for the Six Nations, although he failed to pick up a cap in his Grand Slam campaign.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/swansea-ospreys/2012/05/01/ashley-beck-desperate-to-fill-jamie-roberts-boots-on-wales-tour-to-australia-91466-30871680/#ixzz1twaILa9c

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Sat 05 May 2012, 8:49 am

Risca Rev wrote:Charteris is playing tomorrow. Maybe a few of the other Dragons players (Lewis Evans for one) can force their way into the squad for the Barbarians game. I am not sure who warrants a place though, bar our usual three.

Hughes thumbsup
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 05 May 2012, 8:53 am

Hughes would be a good shout especially with Roberts and possibly JD out.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Sat 05 May 2012, 9:08 am

Its about time he got a go in the Welsh setup, top bloke
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 05 May 2012, 9:30 am

Yeah I mentioned Hughes after. He's probably the only one who's been consistent for us all season, other than Sid (who probably won't get picked)

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sat 05 May 2012, 12:19 pm

A number of players I listed are apparently nearly fit, but is that fit enough to take on Australia in their back yard?

Hughes is a good shout, he looks to have the pace to play 13 at International level. Beck has had a great breakthrough season, my only concern is whether he is fast enough for a test threequarter. He often makes breaks in the Raba but then gets swallowed up by the defence.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 05 May 2012, 12:26 pm

Problem with Lewis Evans is that his form got sky high and then culminated in that MOTM performance and Aus call up for Wales, then the week after single handedly lost the Dragons the game with some very child like errors!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 08 May 2012, 11:50 am

Sam fit for Oz tour, Nuggett to get 100th cap

OK
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 08 May 2012, 12:22 pm

Good news for Sam, disgraceful that Williams will be put onthe bench so he can be gifted a 100th cap. Gatland said people had to earn their caps. Williams has earnt his 99, but to be gifted the last one like this just puts a tarnish on the other IMO. Why not put Steve Jones on the bench as well, after all 105 caps is better than 104, nice round number.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 08 May 2012, 12:37 pm

If you read the article, it's hardly gifted, do we have sufficient 7 cover if Warburton and all the other young 7s/back rowers will be in Oz ?

I wonder who will be the starting 7 for the Baa Baa's game ? Lewis Evans ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 08 May 2012, 12:47 pm

munkian wrote:If you read the article, it's hardly gifted, do we have sufficient 7 cover if Warburton and all the other young 7s/back rowers will be in Oz ?

I appreciate that the first choice players will be missing as they will be in oz. But we have Navidi (played really well this weekend), Jon Edwards (a sevens players, suited to Baabaa style rugby). Also then we have Turnbull, Shingler, and Tipuric who have all played international rugby (two having Grandslam medals). Surely one of those could get a later plane out to Aus. If it is for having some experience on the bench, then surely you could put Powell on the bench, or Johnathan Thomas, after all they have not retired from rugby.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 08 May 2012, 12:55 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
munkian wrote:If you read the article, it's hardly gifted, do we have sufficient 7 cover if Warburton and all the other young 7s/back rowers will be in Oz ?

I appreciate that the first choice players will be missing as they will be in oz. But we have Navidi (played really well this weekend), Jon Edwards (a sevens players, suited to Baabaa style rugby). Also then we have Turnbull, Shingler, and Tipuric who have all played international rugby (two having Grandslam medals). Surely one of those could get a later plane out to Aus. If it is for having some experience on the bench, then surely you could put Powell on the bench, or Johnathan Thomas, after all they have not retired from rugby.

Jon Edwards is no international player - I can't imagine he'll be involved as much for the Scarlets next season - I agree with you though that there are players ahead of Williams, but most of these will be in Oz (Warbs, Tipuric), and I'd say Williams has played better than Turnbull and is a much, much better player than Powell - Shingler could have a claim, but then again Shingler could be starting at 7, or even at 6.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 08 May 2012, 1:08 pm

Fair Points mentioned above but Martyn Williams has been massive for Wales and deserves the send off awarded to other recent greats like Shane Williams and Stephen Jones.

I hardly think it will be to the detriment of the future of Welsh rugby to cap him one more time to say thanks for all he has given us throughout his career...!!!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 08 May 2012, 1:18 pm

Snap. Its just a Baas Baas game. Shingler could well be with the touring Welsh squad, I hope so anyway.

Could well see the Dragons back row playing at some point
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 08 May 2012, 1:21 pm

munkian wrote:Snap. Its just a Baas Baas game. Shingler could well be with the touring Welsh squad, I hope so anyway.

Lewis is looking the part... Pretty awesome competition for the backrow spots in Wales we have some very tidy players...

Something that I think we owe Martyn Williams a great deal of praise for, he inspired many of these lads, and even the thought of his retirement in 07 and the detriment it would cause, probably encouraged a few youthful lads to take rugby a bit more seriously as there might be a welsh shirt waiting for them...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 08 May 2012, 1:24 pm

munkian wrote:Snap. Its just a Baas Baas game. Shingler could well be with the touring Welsh squad, I hope so anyway.

I'd imagine the starting backrow will be something like this -
6. Shingler, 7. Tipuric, 8. Ryan Jones or maybe
6. Lewis/Turnbull 7.Shingler 8. Ryan Jones

As the Wales 1st XV will miss the game so not sure if Tupric will miss the game and I really hope Powell isn't considered Shocked

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 08 May 2012, 1:37 pm

Why wouldn't Ryan Jones be in the full Welsh squad ? He's on great form at the moment.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 08 May 2012, 1:45 pm

Maes & Munkian - It's not anything against Martyn Williams, he has been a great servant, and does deserve to go down in history as a legend of welsh rugby. Shane Williams had a send off in the game against Aus, however Steve Jones didn't have a send off match. He was eased out of the picture gradually, and disappeared from the squad post RWC. If Martyn Williams were to be playing for he Baabaas in the game tehn I would agree it would be a fitting send off form him.

Also I honestly can't see why we would be taking out our best 30 mand squad to Australia and then feilding what would effectively be our A team against the Baabaas. It would make more sense to leave any players who are not expected to be in the first match day squad of the tour behind to play against he Baabaas and then fly them over to Aus afterwards. Especially if we have any real intentions to pick up a series win, as we will want to know who is fit/ready to play. So I would go for a back row along the lines of Turnbull/Shingler/J Thomas, Tipuric/Evans, R Jones/Powell.

Also if we were to go down the route of taking the full touring party to Aus and playing the Baabaas with those who are left behind then it would be an exhibition match, in which case we would be better off selecting players who seem to only know how to play an open fast game. In which case I would be looking at a back row of something like Evans, Navidi/Edwards/ Murphy.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 08 May 2012, 1:55 pm

munkian wrote:Why wouldn't Ryan Jones be in the full Welsh squad ? He's on great form at the moment.

Ryan will def (I hope) be in the full Welsh squad, but it seems to me that Toby is 1st choice No 8 at the moment so that's why I think Ryan (seen as 2nd best No8) will start against the baabaas.

And God I hope Jon Thomas and Powell aren't in the squad against the Baabaas - it'll give me a horrible feeling that we could be subjected to the backrow play we had 3 seasons ago Shocked

Think there's plenty of talent at 6 to justify not picking JT - we have Turnbull, Lewis Evans, Shingler and even Murphy

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 08 May 2012, 2:42 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:
munkian wrote:Why wouldn't Ryan Jones be in the full Welsh squad ? He's on great form at the moment.

Ryan will def (I hope) be in the full Welsh squad, but it seems to me that Toby is 1st choice No 8 at the moment so that's why I think Ryan (seen as 2nd best No8) will start against the baabaas.

And God I hope Jon Thomas and Powell aren't in the squad against the Baabaas - it'll give me a horrible feeling that we could be subjected to the backrow play we had 3 seasons ago Shocked

Think there's plenty of talent at 6 to justify not picking JT - we have Turnbull, Lewis Evans, Shingler and even Murphy

Agree wholeheartedly... There is loads of talent that should be well and truly ahead of both Powell and Thomas.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 08 May 2012, 2:48 pm

Maes - and ahead of Williams too.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 08 May 2012, 3:02 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Maes - and ahead of Williams too.
Yes I think they are. Williams is retiring so not really part of the same equation looking forward to a brighter future.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 08 May 2012, 3:50 pm

Always thought Navidi was a decent young player - would be good to see what the Welsh International coaching team can make out of him - i.e training and conditioning wise.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 08 May 2012, 3:59 pm

Although unlike JT (haven't seen Powell but he's not a 7) Williams has been playing better than a lot of the young 7's. Agree though the future is Turnbull, Navidi, Tupric, Shingler, McCusker and Evans

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 08 May 2012, 4:01 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:

Although unlike JT (haven't seen Powell but he's not a 7) Williams has been playing better than a lot of the young 7's. Agree though the future is Turnbull, Navidi, Tupric, Shingler, McCusker and Evans

Agree that he is playing very well, though when it comes to the tour I would see Nalvidi as a better Blues option, he has had a great season. We are very lucky. I am sure Martyn Williams gave a lot of inspiration to these lads.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 08 May 2012, 4:04 pm

Yup I'd def like Navidi to be considered for the tour - depending on the make up of the backrow options. He's looking very good, I'm also looking forward to him, Hamilton, Murphy and Gilbert developing further this season for their regions - but if Navidi can have a good tour all the better (though prehaps not for the Blues as they could lose him for big parts of the season!)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 09 May 2012, 8:13 am

Gilbert is a good shout too. very impressed with him this year...

Third scrumhalf and flyhalf selection will be interesting. And if that leaves fifteen non first squad players to play the BaaBaas then who will be fourth and fifth???

Gareth Davies has put his hand up... Tavis Knoyle is fit again... Rhys Webb has had a good season.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 09 May 2012, 9:23 am

Are England putting out a 1st or 2nd string team to play the Baa Baa's ?

The only problem I have with making it a capped game is that I feel its one we really should win.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Thu 10 May 2012, 7:01 am

maestegmafia wrote:Fair Points mentioned above but Martyn Williams has been massive for Wales and deserves the send off awarded to other recent greats like Shane Williams and Stephen Jones.

I hardly think it will be to the detriment of the future of Welsh rugby to cap him one more time to say thanks for all he has given us throughout his career...!!!

Steve Jones has not had a send off, but he is still available for Wales selection unlike Shane and Martyn who are both retiring from all rugby at the end of the season.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 10 May 2012, 5:23 pm

WRU website says Squad is to be announced on Monday by Howley

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2