The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The best and worst picks of the draft?

+5
Colan (niner)
TheBrownTown
BamBam
Thomond
Good Golly I'm Olly
9 posters

Go down

The best and worst picks of the draft? Empty The best and worst picks of the draft?

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 29 Apr 2012, 11:08 am

Who would be your best pick and worst pick of the draft. A top three for both categories if you would. Mine are as follows:

Best picks:
1. David DeCastro - pick 24 - Steelers - The Steelers filled a huge gap here with a player who could be a pro bowler straight off the bat.
2. Morris Claibourne - pick 7 - Cowboys - This was a great move by Dallas. They filled a HUGE need with one the best corners in many years. Getting back to the Super Bowl just got a whole lot harder for the Giants.
3. George Iloka - pick 167 - Bengals - I really like Iloka and I have to admit I wanted the Pats to take him late second round. I think he has all the makings of a Pro Bowl safety and to pick him up in the fifth is a HUGE steal.

Worst picks:
1. Bruce Irvin - pick 15 - Seahawks - I am not denying Irvin is a good player, but he is a huge reach here. He is a 3rd down linebacker at best, and he needs to improve his skill set as he is a bit of a one trick pony. He would have been there in the second and possibly the third round as well.
2. Bryan Anger - pick 70 - Jaguars - A punter? Really Jacksonville Headscratch I literally have no idea why they took him at this point, he isn't an amazing punter anyway.
3. Tavon Wilson - pick 48 - Patriots - Here is a player who was ranked outside 100 on everyone's draft boards. I can only ever see him being a depth safety and special teams contributer. Funny pick form Belichek here.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

The best and worst picks of the draft? Empty Re: The best and worst picks of the draft?

Post by Thomond Sun 29 Apr 2012, 12:44 pm

Loved the Bucs taking Doug Martin. I wasn't all in on "Red Barron" at first but now I'm beginning to se the value. If they wanted Claiborne they would have stayed at 5. Lavonte David is a great move, has the potential to bea Derrick Brooks Calibre player in the league.

Best Pick is a guy who wasn't even drafted. Chase Minnifield, he could be a very,very good CB. Followed by Janoris Jenkins if he can get his head fixed.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

The best and worst picks of the draft? Empty Re: The best and worst picks of the draft?

Post by BamBam Sun 29 Apr 2012, 12:44 pm

ollyrules wrote:

3. Tavon Wilson - pick 48 - Patriots - Here is a player who was ranked outside 100 on everyone's draft boards. I can only ever see him being a depth safety and special teams contributer. Funny pick form Belichek here.

I know it seems a bit of a reach, but I have been reading a bit about him and it doesn't seem as puzzling. He was a 3 year starter at a Big 10 school, a team captain, and was able to play at safety, left, right and slot corner and was a good special teams player. He is 6'0 tall, 205 lbs and ran a 4.52 40 yard dash. To me he is a slight reach, but nowhere near as bad as a lot of people are making out.

Best picks

Round 1 - Nick Perry/Melvin Ingram - 2 pass rushers who could have both gone higher than they did, Ingram was seen as a top 8 pick not so long ago, I think both of these guys will be looked at as steals in the years to come for the Packers and Chargers
Round 2 - Reuben Randle/Kendall Reyes - 2 of my favoured players in the draft, Randle especially is a quality pickup for the Giants as a number 3 receiver, Reyes should be an instant starter at 3-4 DE for San Diego
Round 3 - Brandon Thompson - As others have said elsewhere, the Bengals draft looks quality. Thompson was rumoured to be a fringe first rounder not so long ago, so another great value pick to get him so late

Other rounds
Brandon Boykin, R4, Eagles - A real slot corner for them, with Asomugha and DRC on the outside their secondary looks better than last year for me
Jared Crick, R4, Texans - Another guy who has fallen down boards recently, but was mentioned as a first rounder last season. He is a good fit in the 3-4, and should allow Houston to rotate their DEs
Marvin Jones - R5, Bengals - Big bodied receiver, Cincinatti went from AJ Green being there only receiving threat, to having 2 promising guys in Sanu and Jones competing opposite him, as well as Jordan Shipley to play the slot
Chris Rainey - R5, Steelers - A real speed demon who can line up as a RB, slot receiver and is a very dangerous return man
Alfonzo Dennard, R7, Patriots - He might well be a complete muppet but has shown talent, for a 7th rounder he is no risk

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBrownTown Sun 29 Apr 2012, 12:49 pm

Thomond wrote:Loved the Bucs taking Doug Martin. I wasn't all in on "Red Barron" at first but now I'm beginning to se the value. If they wanted Claiborne they would have stayed at 5. Lavonte David is a great move, has the potential to bea Derrick Brooks Calibre player in the league.

Best Pick is a guy who wasn't even drafted. Chase Minnifield, he could be a very,very good CB. Followed by Janoris Jenkins if he can get his head fixed.

I agree about Lavonte David, brilliant pick by the Bucs

TheBrownTown

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun 29 Apr 2012, 1:05 pm

TheBrownTown wrote:
Thomond wrote:Loved the Bucs taking Doug Martin. I wasn't all in on "Red Barron" at first but now I'm beginning to se the value. If they wanted Claiborne they would have stayed at 5. Lavonte David is a great move, has the potential to bea Derrick Brooks Calibre player in the league.

The Bucs had an incredibly good first three rounds, and then it went a bit pear-shaped. The Bucs started with a 1,2,3,5,6,7 and finished with 1,1,2,5,6,7,7. They pretty much trade a 3rd for a 1st and and a 7th. Not too shabby! Not taking very good CBs when they were there could cost them but you can't solve every problem in one draft.

Saw these sigs on another sight and though they looked class
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBrownTown Sun 29 Apr 2012, 1:32 pm

Thomond wrote:
TheBrownTown wrote:

The Bucs had an incredibly good first three rounds, and then it went a bit pear-shaped. The Bucs started with a 1,2,3,5,6,7 and finished with 1,1,2,5,6,7,7. They pretty much trade a 3rd for a 1st and and a 7th. Not too shabby! Not taking very good CBs when they were there could cost them but you can't solve every problem in one draft.

Saw these sigs on another sight and though they looked class
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Yep the bucs had a very good draft, couple that with their free agency and the NFC south will be very interesting this season

TheBrownTown

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Sun 29 Apr 2012, 1:36 pm

i thought cam johnson was a steal in the 7th round for the niners, josh robinson in the 3rd and brandon brooks in the later rounds presented amazing value too

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Mon 30 Apr 2012, 9:58 am

Bruce will prove all the haters wrong when he get 10+ sacks this year
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Mon 30 Apr 2012, 10:53 am

what makes you think he will get that, ive seen a few west virginia games and focused more on geno smith and austin because their offence is amazing but he isn't very big, just has great speed, seattle will have to design plays specifically for him

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Mon 30 Apr 2012, 10:58 am

niner wrote:what makes you think he will get that, ive seen a few west virginia games and focused more on geno smith and austin because their offence is amazing but he isn't very big, just has great speed, seattle will have to design plays specifically for him
carroll has already said he is taking the raheem brock role, thats about 600 plays last season.
aslo he is being primed to take over from clemons in the Leo role in the 2013 season
im also loving the russell wilson pick and the robert turbin pick aswel.l
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Mon 30 Apr 2012, 11:51 am

i really like robert turbin, i sort of wanted him but i suppose we didn't need a big back, the fact that carroll seems to be defending the selection of bruce irvin a lot worries some but i still think he will be a good player

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 30 Apr 2012, 3:36 pm

The Jets wanted Irvin and picked after the Seahawks
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Mon 30 Apr 2012, 5:17 pm

apparently other teams also had him down as a 1st rounder they would consider
IMo the so called "experts" have overeacted to this pick and made the situaion appear more bad than it really is.
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 30 Apr 2012, 5:18 pm

cherriesfan wrote:apparently other teams also had him down as a 1st rounder they would consider
IMo the so called "experts" have overeacted to this pick and made the situaion appear more bad than it really is.

The only way we will find out if any of the picks are good is when they start playing. At the moment it's all guesswork, even with Luck and RG3
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Mon 30 Apr 2012, 6:46 pm

I saw online that carroll has been defending the pick a bit too much. This just gives experts more reason to say its a reach but i still think irvin will be a good player. I do prefer Harbaughs way of dealing with picks in which he just ignores questions like that and says they don't think about reaches etc (he is the funniest coach i have ever seen with the press ) but Seattle should find ways to make him effective, just because he only has one real quality but size can be added and stopping the run will be taught

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Mon 30 Apr 2012, 8:23 pm

I'm tempted to say Bobbie Massie to the Cards in round 3 was a bargain.
George Iloka to the Bengals in the 5th was a steal as well. Actually I generally think the Bengals had a fab draft.

A punter in round 3 is just plain laughable. Hats off to the Jags for doing the worst. I know its overhyped but I still hate the Bruce Irvin pick... sorry!

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mangler US_UK Tue 01 May 2012, 4:59 pm

crazy_dave23 wrote:I'm tempted to say Bobbie Massie to the Cards in round 3 was a bargain.
George Iloka to the Bengals in the 5th was a steal as well. Actually I generally think the Bengals had a fab draft.

crazy_dave23, it was even more of a steal because the Cards got Massie in the 4th round Very Happy

The Mangler US_UK

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Wed 02 May 2012, 11:11 am

Irvin wasnt a reach PERIOD.
Smile
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Wed 02 May 2012, 12:00 pm

thats what they want you to believe Very Happy

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Wed 02 May 2012, 12:56 pm

a reach is when a player is taken earlier than the consenus of most GMs
5 teams had him penciled in a there potential 1st rounder
Mel Kiper Jr. is a colosul idiot, and ain't prpaerd to admit it
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Wed 02 May 2012, 12:58 pm

dunno, thats just reports, I'd like to believe the reports that Baltimore considered Jenkins at 29 and that St Louis wanted him at 33 but I can't be sure

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 02 May 2012, 1:04 pm

cherriesfan wrote:a reach is when a player is taken earlier than the consenus of most GMs
5 teams had him penciled in a there potential 1st rounder
Mel Kiper Jr. is a colosul idiot, and ain't prpaerd to admit it

5 out of 32 is definitely not a consensus ... the 5 GMs could be idiots like Jeff Ireland! Still doesn't hide the fact that even if it turns out to be a good pick, its a reach at this moment in time. Kiper might be an idiot, but he is right to say that there will always be a few GMs who can agree with most decisions, so I'm not surprised 5 say he is a first rounder!

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Wed 02 May 2012, 7:45 pm

niner wrote:thats what they want you to believe Very Happy

definite reach :P

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down