The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

606's AP Team of the Year - Openside Flanker

+6
formerly known as Sam
Poorfour
HongKongCherry
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Ozzy3213
LondonTiger
10 posters

Go down

Who has been the most prominent Openside in the AP this year.

606's AP Team of the Year - Openside Flanker Vote_lcap43%606's AP Team of the Year - Openside Flanker Vote_rcap 43% 
[ 15 ]
606's AP Team of the Year - Openside Flanker Vote_lcap31%606's AP Team of the Year - Openside Flanker Vote_rcap 31% 
[ 11 ]
606's AP Team of the Year - Openside Flanker Vote_lcap0%606's AP Team of the Year - Openside Flanker Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
606's AP Team of the Year - Openside Flanker Vote_lcap0%606's AP Team of the Year - Openside Flanker Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
606's AP Team of the Year - Openside Flanker Vote_lcap17%606's AP Team of the Year - Openside Flanker Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 6 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
606's AP Team of the Year - Openside Flanker Vote_lcap3%606's AP Team of the Year - Openside Flanker Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
606's AP Team of the Year - Openside Flanker Vote_lcap6%606's AP Team of the Year - Openside Flanker Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 35

Poll closed

606's AP Team of the Year - Openside Flanker Empty 606's AP Team of the Year - Openside Flanker

Post by LondonTiger Wed May 02, 2012 7:54 am

Poll is still open for the blindside - and currently is tied between Steve Mafi and Tom Johnson, please vote if you have yet to do so:

https://www.606v2.com/t28473-ap-team-of-the-year-606-picks-the-blindside-flanker

Front 5 is as follows:

Marler, Brits, Johnston
Robson, Kohn.

Will openside become a walkover for board favourite Chris Robshaw? Please remember that this is only for performances in the AP. HC, RWC and 6N form should be ignored.

Contenders

Quins - Chris Robshaw One of 5 players shortlisted for the official AP Player of the Year gong, there can be no doubt that he is an excellent operator in the Aviva Premiership. Big question is whether he is a 6 or a 7? His fans will usually state he is a 6 and draw comparisons with Richard Hill. Most coaches I speak to view him as a 7, which is where he has appeared mostly for Quins and england this season. Whiel his apperances for England have reduced his appearances in the AP, he has still managed to start 16 matches. He is an all action dynamo, while not a man who puts in huge tackles he regularly tops the tackle count for Quins.

Tigers - Julian Salvi Along with Robshaw another shortlisted for the Official AP player of the year. He has been immense for Tigers this year and has to be the AP breakdown king. The turnovers he has secured this season are a key reason why tigers have scored 16 more tries in the league than their nearest rivals (and has 4 himself). With 18 starts and 2 from the bench has appeared in all but one of Tigers AP matches.

Sarries - Andy Saull Featured strongly when covering for Jacques Burger during RWC11. Burger's injury on return gave Saull the chance to really shine until he too was injured. Would have been in real contention for a tour spot to SA.

Saints - Phil Dowson Has been almost the 4th man in the Saints back row - covering all 3 positions when Clark, Wood & Wilson were unavailable. Has played mostly at 7 and as usual to a very high standard. Was finally capped during the 6Ns, but tends to be viewed as an excellent club player just one notch below international standard.

Exeter - James Scaysbrook I always liked him at Bath, one of those underated players who just gets the job done. That he has started every AP match this season shows his importance to the Chiefs.

Sale - Dave Seymour A magnificent start to the season had pundits talking about an England call up. Form tailed away a little after that as Sale were up and down, but still a very good season for the former Saracen. 20 starts.

Gloucester - Akapusi Qera The all action Fijian has continued to do his stuff.

Wasps - Jonathan Poff Wasps have struggled. Without Poff it would have been worse. Much worse.

Bath, LI, Worcester, Falcons - No-one but honourable mention to Matt Kvesic who did not start enough matches in the AP to be considerd - but is a future star.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

606's AP Team of the Year - Openside Flanker Empty Re: 606's AP Team of the Year - Openside Flanker

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed May 02, 2012 8:01 am

Robshaw has flitted between 6 and 7 hasn't he, with Wallace and Fa'asavalu also wearing the 7 jersey at times for Quins.

For me there are two players who have been consistently outstanding in the 7 shirt for their clubs this season and they are Julian Salvi and James Scaysbrook. For me it really is a toss up between the two of them so I will opt for the underated and much maligned Scaysbrook who has re-established himself at Exeter over the past few seasons after being released by Bath and dropping into the Championship.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

606's AP Team of the Year - Openside Flanker Empty Re: 606's AP Team of the Year - Openside Flanker

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed May 02, 2012 8:08 am

Just as Tom Johnson was the key to Exe's backrow and decent start in the premiership last year, so this season it has been his cohort James Scayscbrook - the man puts his body in places that any right minded individual wouldn't even contemplate, is skilled with ball in hand and even has a mean kicking game on him. Vital to everything that Exe do. Robshaw a clear second for me

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed May 02, 2012 9:03 am

I will give a very honourable mention to Q. He has been very consistent for Glaws this season and I don't think there is a bigger hitter in the Jeff than him. Likewise, Seymour's early form was excellent and he would have been a shoe in for this had he continued.

Instead, this is another 2 horse race between Scaysbrook and Salvi. Scaysbrook has been very understated, but a real grafter, but I'm going for Salvi as he is just a pain in the ****, which a good 7 should be! He's just everywhere and wins so much ball at the breakdown.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Wed May 02, 2012 9:08 am

Ozzy3213 wrote:Robshaw has flitted between 6 and 7 hasn't he, with Wallace and Fa'asavalu also wearing the 7 jersey at times for Quins.

Not really. When Robshaw broke into the team, Paul Volley was the captain, so he played 6 (replacing Andre Vos). Then Will Skinner was the captain, and again Robshaw played 6. When he took over the captaincy himself, he moved to 7 and has stayed there pretty consistently ever since. Quins' full strength starting lineup has Robshaw at 7 and Fa'asavalu (a highly regarded 7 at international level) at 6. He may have played 6 once or twice when Skinner (who's an out-and-out openside) or Wallace was fielded, but London Tiger's right to classify him as an openside.

I'd disagree with his view that Robshaw's not noted for his tackling, though. According to the Telegraph's Opta stats, he makes more tackles per game than any of the other leading opensides (11 vs 10) and has had fewer missed tackles than Johnson, Saull or Salvi. He's not a "big hit" kind of a tackler (we have Mo for that), but it's remarkable how many important tackles he makes. He's also incredibly consistent, and Quins are a different side when he's on the pitch.

C'mon, you never thought I was going to vote for anyone else, did you?
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed May 02, 2012 9:11 am

Poorfour I did not denigrate his tackling, in fact it was meant to be the opposite when I stated he tops the tackle count.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed May 02, 2012 9:19 am

Jonathon Poff all the way, the guy is the reason that Wasps aren't already relegated. His work at the breakdown is the best in the league and only Salvi and Scaysbrook compare when it comes to being sods at the breakdown. Robshaw is very good at what he does, which is link and tackle but his inability to be a real nightmare at the ruck holds him back for me.

1.Poff
2=Salvi
2=Scaysbrook
4.Robshaw
5.Dave Seymour

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by maverickmak Wed May 02, 2012 11:49 am

Salvi

He has been such a handful for the opposition this season. A real breakdown master that Tigers have lacked for quite a while. Mister Consistent, and no slouch in broken play.

maverickmak

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed May 02, 2012 4:09 pm

Has to be Robshaw, the single most consistent player in the prem and one of the most vital for his club.

Not only for his constant tackling but his willingness to take the ball up into heavy traffic and the fact that he always looks to pass once he's hit, he has literally dragged Quins over the line in some games. Without him we have no go forward.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed May 02, 2012 5:52 pm

His lead by example captaincy should be noted too. Unless there is going tonne a separate poll for captains and coaches
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Wed May 02, 2012 8:33 pm

Went Salvi, has enabled others in the Tigers pack such as Waldrom to shine by doing the true dirty work (no offense to Newby who did a decent job there last season but I always thought he was a better 6 or 8). He also seems to have cut down on the pens as the season has gone on.

Closely followed by Robshaw and Scaysbrook. Only games I've seen Poff in he's been a little off the pace but I think that is just the games I've seen as I know of a few people who have been singing his praises for most of the season.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down